Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

Previewed from MTG Twitter

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Figured he'd a brawl commander, since he wouldn't appear in the set proper.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Hang on a minute

I thought the walkers were Rowan, will and oko and also stated there's only three walkers in the set?

But god bless getting garruk back into mtg

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Ohh I like this design so much. Especially the 0 that goes for every Garruk! Nice!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
the number over the set it's because this is the borderless art (look at the 2 Oko version), he will be in the set I think.
Maybe Will&Rowan will share a card (UR)
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

SyntheticDreamer

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

That 0 ability...looks like it's time to brew Garruk tribal.
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!

I'm now wondering what the Buy-a-Box promo is. His set number is where I expected that to slot in. Unless he is the promo and it's only available in this borderless format I guess?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
the number over the set it's because this is the borderless art (look at the 2 Oko version), he will be in the set I think.
I didn't think Will was confirmed to be in this set. Anyway, this Garruk is fine. It's no Apex Predator, but it's a serviceable card nonetheless.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
I am aware that the special art cards all have numbering outside the set. These special art cards can also be for cards appearing the Brawl decks. MaRo has stated that there will be three walkers in a set: Will, Rowan, and a new character. We now know that the new character is Oko. Since it appears like Rowan is doing something without her brother, based on the information we've been given, it would not make sense for them to share a card.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
I am aware that the special art cards all have numbering outside the set. These special art cards can also be for cards appearing the Brawl decks. MaRo has stated that there will be three walkers in a set: Will, Rowan, and a new character. We now know that the new character is Oko. Since it appears like Rowan is doing something without her brother, based on the information we've been given, it would not make sense for them to share a card.
Maro can be deceptive with his answers. He said that there will be 3 pw cards and in another one said that there was Will, Rowan and a new one (and confirmed that Will and Rowan share a spark and cannot travel separated).
It's possible that adding the 2 statements the truth is 3 pw cards = Oko, Garruk and Will&Rowan
Last edited by CalebLost 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
You may be in for a surprise then. A card is floating on mtgspoiler at the moment for The Royal Scions which is a Will and Rowan Planeswalker card. If it works out consider me impressed as I've wondered when they would have 2 planeswalkers on the same card for some time now.

SyntheticDreamer

Serpent_Steve wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago

You may be in for a surprise then. A card is floating on mtgspoiler at the moment for The Royal Scions which is a Will and Rowan Planeswalker card. If it works out consider me impressed as I've wondered when they would have 2 planeswalkers on the same card for some time now.
That wouldn't surprise me.

Also, MaRo's answers have traditionally not been literal, and if I recall correctly, his response to the question about Will was simply "Will's in the set," which doesn't necessarily mean as his own planeswalker card.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

SyntheticDreamer wrote:
4 years ago
Serpent_Steve wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago

Also, MaRo's answers have traditionally not been literal, and if I recall correctly, his response to the question about Will was simply "Will's in the set," which doesn't necessarily mean as his own planeswalker card.
You all might be right and me wrong. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something. Also, had not seen the card 'The Royal Scions' anywhere. I would take it with a grain of salt atm due to it being an image with the collector's number cut of. There also does not appear to be any source for the image (that I could find, anyway)

RainyDay

Post by RainyDay » 4 years ago

SyntheticDreamer wrote:
4 years ago
"Will's in the set" could mean anything.
-Will is actually in the set (and I was wrong about the # of walkers) Maybe he got thrown in at the last minute to fill a vacant mythic slot.
-Will shares a card with Rowan
-Will is in the set (but not in the packs). They've done walkers who were only in planeswalker decks before (Dominaria Chandra)
-Will is in the set (As a creature, because his sister's hogging the whole spark and won't share)
-Will is lurking in the background of various card arts. See if you can find him!

SyntheticDreamer

RainyDay wrote:
4 years ago
-Will is lurking in the background of various card arts. See if you can find him!
This sounds like fun! (But seriously, I died laughing at this.)

Ulthwithian

Post by Ulthwithian » 4 years ago

As a twin, I was hoping that MTG would give us twin PWs who essentially 'share' a spark... I even asked MaRo the question on Blogatog, but I never got a response, to my knowledge.

Anyway, I like the innovative ways they are looking at loyalty on PWs (Chandra from M20, Garruk here). Garruk himself seems okay, if a bit 'expected' as GB PW. Has there ever been a GB PW printed who didn't have a 'destroy creature' minus ability?

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
SyntheticDreamer wrote:
4 years ago
Serpent_Steve wrote:
4 years ago

You all might be right and me wrong. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something. Also, had not seen the card 'The Royal Scions' anywhere. I would take it with a grain of salt atm due to it being an image with the collector's number cut of. There also does not appear to be any source for the image (that I could find, anyway)
Confirmed on Stream the Garruk is in set and The Royal Scions is real as well

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

"each Garruk you control" is probably the silliest and most awkward wording I have seen in a long time. Though I suppose "Sacrifice a Food" is up there.

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Maro also confirmed that supplemental (Brawl/PW deck exclusive cards) will not have a premium full art equivalent like the other rares and mythics. I would not be surprised if the buy-a-box is exclusively in premium full art, but aside from that, any cards with a premium treatment equivalent are confirmed to be openable in draft boosters (both as premium and standard versions.)

SyntheticDreamer

Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
"each Garruk you control" is probably the silliest and most awkward wording I have seen in a long time. Though I suppose "Sacrifice a Food" is up there.
Don't forget "non-Gideon creature" (which hilariously includes Kytheon, Hero of Akros).

Lucifer, Sapere Aude

Post by Lucifer, Sapere Aude » 4 years ago

Garruk can't kill planeswalkers anymore???? Boooo
Also, is this really the card of the set? Because the design it's awfully and awkwardly close of a planeswalker deck card.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Garruk planeswalkers are not really know for the "ultimates", although Garruk, Caller of Beasts is pretty decent. But the putting loyalty counters onto Garruk planeswalkers isn't as good as you'd first want.
But you can setup a two turn emblem for +3/+3 which isn't to be sniffed at if you can kill your Wolf creatures AND you get to keep him as he'd of been on 7 loyalty.

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

hist u;lt looks like a wimpy version of vivien reid's lol

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

Lucifer, Sapere Aude wrote:
4 years ago
Also, is this really the card of the set? Because the design it's awfully and awkwardly close of a planeswalker deck card.
What? This card is fantastic and will absolutely see play! It's also the only card in the set that made me feel anything positive so far lol.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Lucifer, Sapere Aude

Post by Lucifer, Sapere Aude » 4 years ago

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
What? This card is fantastic and will absolutely see play! It's also the only card in the set that made me feel anything positive so far lol.
Ok, let's start:
- Six mana for a golden card that destroy only creatures. Compare, in the same color combinations with the Vraskas (Unseen and Relic Seeker) which destroy nearly every type of permanent at that cost or less and even gives you a plus advantage (mana). Sure, this Garruk also make a plus advantage (draw a card), but the Relic Seeker can do the ability of destroying a wide range of targets twice in a row, which is much more relevant than "destroy a creature, draw a card" (It doesn't even have the text "up to", so you can't even minus only to draw if there's no legal targets, for example against control.).
- No way to plus except the awkwardly weird and slow waititing of the wolf tokens to die. (and you won't even get the loyalty counters if they get exiled or bounced). 5 starting loyalty for a golden six mana PW is not that exciting either, compare the Vraska that start at six Loyalty, and has just a more efficent way to protect and plus herself with a sureproof +2 each turn. Also, the "each garruk" clause is a gimmick that very rarely will even matters in most practical games, not in Standard for sure.
- Extremely boring ultimate, planeswalker deck style, useless if control or midrange decks can take care of your creatures anyway. Compare again with Relic Seeker that put any opponent at 1 life, no matter what.

I mean, if you are genuinely excited for this PW good for you, but you seems to have low standards in that case.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”