NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 1 year ago

chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Are the books that these characters from more of a space opera? Yes. Do they qualify as a cyberpunk style thing? Kind of. I've never really gotten into any cyberpunk stuff so this is the best I can do. Revelation space, baybee!
I can highly recommend Blade Runner and Johnny Mnemonic if you want to give cyberpunk a go, as they are good cinematic introductions to the genre. And if you like Anime, Ghost in the Shell is a good animated cyberpunk movie. The series is good as well (Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig, respectively), but the second animated movie is kinda mindscrewy at parts, it's really, really good though, and has a few obvious homages to Blade Runner. However, it deals with some very sensitive topics, so you may want to avoid it.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

I mean, I've seen blade runner, but it never captured my attention the way that Revelation space did. It's fine, the cards will get judged fairly.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

blade runner's kind of boring
MEG

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

I'll judge in ~12 hours

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
After you've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, nothing is boring.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Depends on the version honestly. The original cinematic cut is a decent sci-fi noir movie, but nothing special. The long cut is much better, and hints at Deckard being a next gen replicant. The true directors cut however, is a masterpiece.

But hey, I get it. Not every genre is for everyone, and the same with subgenres. :)

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

2001: A Space Odyssey
Card
2, Reveal this card from your hand: Name a card from Odyssey. This becomes a copy of that card, except its name is the name of that card with "... IN SPACE" appended to it.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Augment Enthusiast 2W
Artifact Creature- Human Cyborg (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Augment Enthusiast doesn't have a first strike counter on it, put one on it. If it has a first strike counter but not a double strike counter, put one on it. If it has a first strike counter and a double strike counter, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/2

IIW: Rhyming and alliterating card names

Juancu

Judgings
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
1 year ago
Do Androids Dream? 1U
Enchantment (U)
Whenever one or more android, cyborg, replicant, or robot creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, jack in. (To jack in look at the top card of your library, if it is an artifact you may reveal it to create a chip token, if it is not an artifact you may put it into your graveyard. A chip token is a colorless artifact with "T, sacrifice this artifact: Add C.")

Electric Sheep 1G
Artifact Creature - Robot Sheep (C)
When Electric Sheep enters the battlefield, jack in. (To jack in look at the top card of your library, if it is an artifact you may reveal it to create a chip token, if it is not an artifact you may put it into your graveyard. A chip token is a colorless artifact with "T, sacrifice this artifact: Add C.")
1/2

We Can Remember It For You, Wholesale 2U
Instant (C)
Jack in, then draw a card. (To jack in look at the top card of your library, if it is an artifact you may reveal it to create a chip token, if it is not an artifact you may put it into your graveyard. A chip token is a colorless artifact with "T, sacrifice this artifact: Add C.")

Memory Courier 2UU
Creature - Cyborg Scout (R)
When Memory Courier enters the battlefield, scry X, where X is the number of chip tokens you have sacrificed this turn. Then draw two cards.
2/3
I like jack in, but the problem is that if you are having a lot of success finding artifacts, your opponent is getting a lot of information about your every draw. And it's a bit weird that you may put the card in graveyard if it's not your preferred card type (you presumably put a lot of artifacts in your deck to get hits.) I wonder if something like explore would be better. You always got the 'scry' in the sense that drawing the land also made you go deeper into the library.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Conjoiner Drive Lighthugger 2UR
Artifact - Vehicle
As long as Conjoiner Drive Lighthugger is a creature, it's a conjoiner.
Conjoiner creatures crew Conjoiner Drive Lighthugger as though their power were 2 greater.
Conjoiner Drive Lighthugger's power is equal to the number of creatures you control
trample
Crew 4
All Conjoiners can run their brain processes faster than normal humans, but the especially clever ones volunteer to have their brains placed in conjoiner drives, to calculate the primal forces running the engines.
*/5

Nevil Clavain 1RW
Legendary Creature - Human soldier
Other soldiers you control get +1/+0 and have ward
If Nevil Clavian would die while you control a Conjoiner, instead exile Nevil and return it to the battlefield transformed.
Left for dead while his brother attacked the compound he was held inside...
2/2
////
Nevil Clavian, Conjoiner (color indicator RW)
Legendary Creature - Human Conjoiner Soldier
Conjoiners you control have first strike and ward
Nevil's power is equal to the number of conjoiners you control.
He was accepted into their ranks as they fled Mars in the newly completed fleet of lighthuggers.
*/3

Skade, Rogue Conjoiner 2UB
Legendary Creature - Human Conjoiner Rogue
You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast conjoiner spells.
Tap an untapped conjoiner you control: add one mana of any of that creature's colors.
wubrg: Look at the top 5 cards of your library and put a conjoiner from among those cards into your hand. If that card's mana value is less than or equal to the number of conjoiners you control, put that card onto the battlefield instead.
2/4

Conjoiner Builder 2G
Creature - Human Conjoiner
Conjoiners you control get +1/+1.
In the transenlightenment, not everyone is going to be going on wondrous space adventures, but those memories get shared with the collective, so in a way, it's as if everyone does go on the adventures.
2/2
I see the sliverness, but they don't scream hive mind any more than slivers or allies to me (maybe because I lack familiarity with the source.) Of these, Nevil is the one that most appeals to me, I could see a Commander deck built around the concept (if they could include DFCs, that's always a problem.)
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Card
2, Reveal this card from your hand: Name a card from Odyssey. This becomes a copy of that card, except its name is the name of that card with "... IN SPACE" appended to it.
This would have won if only "IN" and "SPACE" were followed by !
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Augment Enthusiast 2W
Artifact Creature- Human Cyborg (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Augment Enthusiast doesn't have a first strike counter on it, put one on it. If it has a first strike counter but not a double strike counter, put one on it. If it has a first strike counter and a double strike counter, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/2
Simple but it's the card I'd most want to include in my draft deck.
Winner: Megatroid_Jones
Next: Rhyming and alliterating card names

chetoos

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
I see the sliverness, but they don't scream hive mind any more than slivers or allies to me (maybe because I lack familiarity with the source.) Of these, Nevil is the one that most appeals to me, I could see a Commander deck built around the concept (if they could include DFCs, that's always a problem.)
Their lore is that they were messing around with interconnected brains for parallel processing of thoughts, and hit some level that meant that all the conjoiners shared in some blissful hive mind. They're still individuals, but they're connected in a way that most normal humans aren't, and are therefore persecuted for the idea that they'll turn you into them. Sucks to be a normal human, because at the end of the timeline in the books, the only human civilizations left are conjoiners

Megiddo
MEG

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
I think the most boring film I've ever seen is A Ghost Story. It's the only time I've ever truly desired to walk out of the theater.

But I stuck it out and it's among my favorite movies now.
Krishnath wrote:
1 year ago
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Depends on the version honestly. The original cinematic cut is a decent sci-fi noir movie, but nothing special. The long cut is much better, and hints at Deckard being a next gen replicant. The true directors cut however, is a masterpiece.

But hey, I get it. Not every genre is for everyone, and the same with subgenres. :)
Oh, yeah, the various cuts don't make the movie any easier to approach. I think I've seen all of the various permutations by now... Anyway, despite my glib comment, I do like the movie (the book was the first sci-fi Thing I ever read; I own every PKD book/story collection, etc.).
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
I think the most boring film I've ever seen is A Ghost Story. It's the only time I've ever truly desired to walk out of the theater.

But I stuck it out and it's among my favorite movies now.
The Batman was about as boring as anything I've ever seen.

Megiddo
MEG

Boring Beeble 1U
Creature - Beeble {U}
Boring Beeble can't be blocked as long as defending player controls a premium permanent.
2/1

IIW: Stunned
MEG

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Card
This would have won if only "IN" and "SPACE" were followed by !
I realized at some point that I had accidentally left that off, but was too busy to go back and fix it. Oh well! :)

Pallid Thallid GB
Creature - Fungus
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Pallid Thallid is on the battlefield or in your graveyard, put a spore counter on it.
Remove 3 spore counters from Pallid Thallid: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token. You may activate this ability even if Pallid Thallid is in your graveyard.
2/2

Llanowar Man-o-War 2UG
Creature - Elf Jellyfish
When Llanowar Man-o-War enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner's hand.
T: Add G.
3/3
(This is probably pushing it, but I really want to just staple the two creatures together. A 2/2 would be saner.)

Yavimaya
Legendary Land
3GG, T: Double the number of +1/+1 counters on target creature.
//
Lava Jaya 3RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Jaya
+1: Create a red 1/2 Elemental creature token with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, this creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn."
+0: Lava Jaya deals 2 damage to any target.
-7: You gain an emblem with "Discard a card: Lava Jaya deals 5 damage to target player or planeswalker."

IIW: Change/add/remove 1 letter in an existing card name.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
I like jack in, but the problem is that if you are having a lot of success finding artifacts, your opponent is getting a lot of information about your every draw. And it's a bit weird that you may put the card in graveyard if it's not your preferred card type (you presumably put a lot of artifacts in your deck to get hits.) I wonder if something like explore would be better. You always got the 'scry' in the sense that drawing the land also made you go deeper into the library.
May was a very deliberate choice in the naming, allowing you to bluff your opponent a bit. But to be fair, it's more of a limited mechanic, one that I made up in like two minutes. >.<

Edit: Anyway....

Berserking Brushwagg RG
Creature - Brushwagg (R)
Haste, trample
Whenever Berserking Brushwagg attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever Berserking Brushwagg is blocked, double it's power and toughness until end of turn.
0/1

IIW: Welcome to the Jungle.

chetoos

Zagoth Baloth 1BGU
Creature - Beast Nightmare
Ward - Pay 3 life
If a spell or ability an opponent controls would cause you to discard this card, put it onto the battlefield, mutated over a creature you control instead of putting it in the graveyard.
When this creature mutates, exile X cards from graveyards, where X is the number of times this creature has mutated. You gain 1 life and each opponent loses 1 life for each creature card exiled this way.
mutate - BGU
The beasts here share too many similarities with the baloths of Zendikar and Dominaria for me to not use the name, though there are still stark differences. - The Journal of Vivien Reid
4/4

Viashino Virtuoso 2RR
Creature - Viashino Bard
At the beginning of combat on your turn, Viashino Virtuoso deals 1 damage to another target creature you control. That creature gets +x/+0 and gains trample and haste until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures that have been dealt damage this turn.
Viashino culture exults more than just the warriors, though their lust for blood comes through all the same.
4/3

IIW: Unfinity or planeswalker vacations after beating phyrexia.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Mustard Bustard
2{B}
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
Mustard Bustard enters the battlefield tapped.
When Mustard Bustard enters the battlefield, if a creature or planeswalker died this turn, Mustard Bustard deals 2 damage to any target and you gain 2 life.
2/2

Dead Dread Colossal Fossil
4{B}{B}
Creature - Dinosaur Skeleton (C)
6/5

Howling Owl
2{U}
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player draws an additional card.
2/1

Denial Crocodile
2{U}{G}
Creature - Crocodile (U)
Flash
When Denial Crocodile enters the battlefield, counter target activated or triggered ability.
2/4

Fine Swine
3{G}
Creature - Boar (C)
Trample
4/2
Wish he was mine.

Gobbling Goblin
2{R}
Creature - Goblin (U)
Sacrifice a creature or Food: Gobbling Goblin gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
2/1

IIW: Grixis Drake
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Dragon Wagon 2RR
Artifact - Vehicle
Trample
R: Dragon Wagon gets +1/+0 until end of turn. More than RRR can't be spent on this ability in any one turn.
Crew: 3
5/3

Hoarse Horse B
Creature - Zombie Horse
Hoarse Horse enters the battlefield tapped.
2/2

Sporegorger_Dragon

Troll Trainer
1{G}
Creature - Troll (C)
T: Train target Troll. (Tap target Troll, then put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
2/2

Drab Crab
1{U}
Creature - Crab (C)
Ward {5}
1/1
Where did it go?

Dull Thrull
1{B}
Creature - Thrull (C)
Dull Thrull can't attack or block unless you control another Thrull.
2/3

Feeble Beeble
{U}
Creature - Beeble (U)
Feeble Beeble can't be blocked as long as defending player controls a creature with power 0 or less.
1/1

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Cursed Hearse 2B
Artifact — Vehicle (R)
Menace
Spells that target Cursed Hearse cost less to cast.
Whenever Cursed Hearse deals combat damage to a player, create a black Curse aura with enchant player and "Spells that target enchanted player and permanents they control cost less to cast." Attach it to that player.
Crew 2
1/3

IIW: the kitchen

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 1 year ago

Indiscriminate Criminal Syndicate 3UBR
Enchantment (M)
U, Sacrifice a Treasure: Draw two cards.
B: Pay 3 life: Search your library for a card, then shuffle and put it on top of your library.
R: Sacrifice a land: Create a Treasure token and Food token.
Terrible actions. Great value.

IIW: Swords and/or axes

Juancu

Form of the Storm 4UW
Enchantment (M)
0: Your life total becomes double the number of spells cast this turn. Activate only once each turn.
0, Sacrifice each token you control: Create a number of tokens equal to the number of spells cast this turn, each as your choice of a 1/1 white Soldier creature, or a copy of a token sacrificed this way. Activate only once each turn.

IIW: incremental and decremental

Mergatroid_Jones

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Boring Beeble 1U
Creature - Beeble {U}
Boring Beeble can't be blocked as long as defending player controls a premium permanent.
2/1

IIW: Stunned
There bumbled a boring old beeble
it bounced by the int'resting people
past a borderless Braids,
it was finally waylayed
by a regular, non-foil seagull
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago

Pallid Thallid GB
Creature - Fungus
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Pallid Thallid is on the battlefield or in your graveyard, put a spore counter on it.
Remove 3 spore counters from Pallid Thallid: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token. You may activate this ability even if Pallid Thallid is in your graveyard.
2/2

Llanowar Man-o-War 2UG
Creature - Elf Jellyfish
When Llanowar Man-o-War enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner's hand.
3/3
(This is probably pushing it, but I really want to just staple the two creatures together. A 2/2 would be saner.)

Yavimaya
Legendary Land
3GG, T: Double the number of +1/+1 counters on target creature.
//
Lava Jaya 3RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Jaya
+1: Create a red 1/2 Elemental creature token with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, this creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn."
+0: Lava Jaya deals 2 damage to any target.
-7: You gain an emblem with "Discard a card: Lava Jaya deals 5 damage to target player or planeswalker."

IIW: Change/add/remove 1 letter in an existing card name.
Hold on now! My my there! woah, heya!
Is that how you say the name "Jaya"?
I pronounced Yavimaya
to rhyme with Mariah
but that's different than how you could say-a

Krishnath wrote:
1 year ago

Berserking Brushwagg RG
Creature - Brushwagg (R)
Haste, trample
Whenever Berserking Brushwagg attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever Berserking Brushwagg is blocked, double it's power and toughness until end of turn.
0/1

Brushwagg, brushwagg, down the road
just how big will brushwagg grow?

It stomped on my uncle and it ate up a tree
just how long till it gets me?
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Zagoth Baloth 1BGU
Creature - Beast Nightmare
Ward - Pay 3 life
If a spell or ability an opponent controls would cause you to discard this card, put it onto the battlefield, mutated over a creature you control instead of putting it in the graveyard.
When this creature mutates, exile X cards from graveyards, where X is the number of times this creature has mutated. You gain 1 life and each opponent loses 1 life for each creature card exiled this way.
mutate - BGU
The beasts here share too many similarities with the baloths of Zendikar and Dominaria for me to not use the name, though there are still stark differences. - The Journal of Vivien Reid
4/4

Viashino Virtuoso 2RR
Creature - Viashino Bard
At the beginning of combat on your turn, Viashino Virtuoso deals 1 damage to another target creature you control. That creature gets +x/+0 and gains trample and haste until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures that have been dealt damage this turn.
Viashino culture exults more than just the warriors, though their lust for blood comes through all the same.
4/3

IIW: Unfinity or planeswalker vacations after beating phyrexia.
(Viashinos just can't get enough of Camptown Races)

Go and kill my enemies, doo dah, doo dah
I poke you, you can't poke me, oh dee doo dah day

All the live-long night, you'll have trample-haste
go and kill my enemies, oh dee doo dah day

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Mustard Bustard
2{B}
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
Mustard Bustard enters the battlefield tapped.
When Mustard Bustard enters the battlefield, if a creature or planeswalker died this turn, Mustard Bustard deals 2 damage to any target and you gain 2 life.
2/2

Dead Dread Colossal Fossil
4{B}{B}
Creature - Dinosaur Skeleton (C)
6/5

Howling Owl
2{U}
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player draws an additional card.
2/1

Denial Crocodile
2{U}{G}
Creature - Crocodile (U)
Flash
When Denial Crocodile enters the battlefield, counter target activated or triggered ability.
2/4

Fine Swine
3{G}
Creature - Boar (C)
Trample
4/2
Wish he was mine.

Gobbling Goblin
2{R}
Creature - Goblin (U)
Sacrifice a creature or Food: Gobbling Goblin gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
2/1

I'll be hobblin' past the goblin
as she's gobblin' with a smile
then I'll howl beside the owl
and deny the crocodile

Don't get flustered by the bustard
soon I'll make the swine mine
past that awful giant fossil
till I find the finest swine

Krishnath wrote:
1 year ago
Dragon Wagon 2RR
Artifact - Vehicle
Trample
R: Dragon Wagon gets +1/+0 until end of turn. More than RRR can't be spent on this ability in any one turn.
Crew: 3
5/3

Hoarse Horse B
Creature - Zombie Horse
Hoarse Horse enters the battlefield tapped.
2/2

The dragon wagon came to town
it burned the local stable down

I'm sure that we would all be dead
if they could pay more than three red.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Troll Trainer
1{G}
Creature - Troll (C)
T: Train target Troll. (Tap target Troll, then put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
2/2

Drab Crab
1{U}
Creature - Crab (C)
Ward {5}
1/1
Where did it go?

Dull Thrull
1{B}
Creature - Thrull (C)
Dull Thrull can't attack or block unless you control another Thrull.
2/3

Feeble Beeble
{U}
Creature - Beeble (U)
Feeble Beeble can't be blocked as long as defending player controls a creature with power 0 or less.
1/1

The dull thrull mulled a mull.
He thought "I'm feeling dreadful dull"
so he went to see the troll
to cure the dullness of his soul.

The troll said "it's not so bad:
you could be feeble like my dad.
You may be dull, but you're not drab.
At least no so much as the crab."

spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Cursed Hearse 2B
Artifact — Vehicle (R)
Menace
Spells that target Cursed Hearse cost less to cast.
Whenever Cursed Hearse deals combat damage to a player, create a black Curse aura with enchant player and "Spells that target enchanted player and permanents they control cost less to cast." Attach it to that player.
Crew 2
1/3

IIW: the kitchen
We seem to have the worst curse
it brought about the first curse
but now we've got a cursed hearse
and things have gotten much worse!
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
1 year ago
Indiscriminate Criminal Syndicate 3UBR
Enchantment (M)
U, Sacrifice a Treasure: Draw two cards.
B: Pay 3 life: Search your library for a card, then shuffle and put it on top of your library.
R: Sacrifice a land: Create a Treasure token and Food token.
Terrible actions. Great value.

IIW: Swords and/or axes

The criminals' crimes came at a time
when criminal minds were all of a kind
so the criminals came to carry a name
and they even went crafting a sign

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Form of the Storm 4UW
Enchantment (M)
0: Your life total becomes double the number of spells cast this turn. Activate only once each turn.
0, Sacrifice each token you control: Create a number of tokens equal to the number of spells cast this turn. Each token is your choice of a 1/1 white Soldier creature, or a copy of a token sacrificed this way. Activate only once each turn.

IIW: incremental and decremental

The wizard was stewing a storm
this was not very out of the norm
it almost got broken
double infinite tokens
then they wrathed the whole beautiful swarm

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Winner: Sporegorger for the flurry of fun card names. But glory and honors to all for delight and whimsy.

Next: Grixis Drake

Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Bravo!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

They should have sent a poet! Oh, wait, they did! :cool:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”