Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL July Top 6/Round 3

"Crowned by Three"

Light of Promise, taken from Art of MtG, by Cristi Balanescu and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Increasing Month here in the CCL. The cards will get bigger as we go along!

Challenge
Design an Aura card that has mana value 3.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Friday, August 5th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@kwanyeegor-ii
@slimytrout
@Henlock
@OneAndOnly
@netn10
@TheAmericanSpirit

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 30th-July 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (July 14th-19th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due July 21st)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 1st–5th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 7th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 8th–11th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 13th)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Jubilant Expression -- 2W
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has inviolate and gets +X/+X, where X is its devotion to white. (A creature's devotion to white is equal to the number of white mana symbols in its mana cost and rules text.)

Inviolate = "This creature can't be sacrificed"
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Friends for Life 1WW
Enchantment - Aura (Mythic)
Enchant creature you control.
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.
Whenever enchanted creature dies, you lose the game.
"A relationship between a planeswalker and us usually ends sooner than later. Why should beings so powerful care about us? So we try our best, and if we're lucky - everywhere they go, memories of us follows them. May the memories be happy."
- Diar, Kytheon's Student

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Curse of Lightning XUBR
Enchantment - Aura Curse (R)
Enchant player
When Curse of Lightning enters the battlefield, return target instant, sorcery, or Curse card with mana value X or less from your graveyard to your hand.
Whenever a player casts a spell targeting enchanted player, the player casting the spell may copy that spell and may choose new targets for the copy.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Ursine Meditation 2G
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has ward 2
At the beginning of each end step, if enchanted creature didn't attack or block this turn, wasn't dealt damage this turn, and a spell or ability targeting it didn't resolve this turn, create a 2/2 green Bear creature token
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Nurturing Valor 1gw
Enchantment - Aura (r)
enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, you may put a permanent card with mana value X or less from your hand onto the battlefield, where X is the damage dealt this way.
Sacrifice a nonland permanent: Enchanted creature's base power and toughness become each equal to the sacrificed permanent's mana value.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Just missing @TheAmericanSpirit - going to give everyone another 24 hours or so.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Subterranean Depths bbb
Enchantment - Aura (r)
Enchant land
Enchanted land has "Pay 3 life, {t}: Destroy target attacking creature unless its controller discards two cards."
Surviving the claustrophobia of the caverns requires a sacrifice of sanity.
Last edited by TheAmericanSpirit 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

reviews
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has inviolate and gets +X/+X, where X is its devotion to white. (A creature's devotion to white is equal to the number of white mana symbols in its mana cost and rules text.)

I'm pretty sure devotion doesn't count symbols in rule text, but other than the faulty reminder text, I like the card and the new mechanic. 3.5/5
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Friends for Life 1WW
"A relationship between a planeswalker and us usually ends sooner than later. Why should beings so powerful care about us? So we try our best, and if we're lucky - everywhere they go, memories of us follows them. May the memories be happy."
Man, what a home run. It's a simple card with simple text, but it's the flavor that takes this to the next level. As the saying goes, the giant knows not what his feet destroy, but it's an interesting slice of life to examine that foot, to even befriend that foot, from an ant's perspective. 5/5 wow!
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Curse of Lightning XUBR
Enchant player
When Curse of Lightning enters the battlefield, return target instant, sorcery, or Curse card with mana value X or less from your graveyard to your hand.
Whenever a player casts a spell targeting enchanted player, the player casting the spell may copy that spell and may choose new targets for the copy.
I've always thought X costing permanents were kinda finicky, but it seems a little undercosted at a base 3 mv. Any more though and the bonus recursion becomes kinda moot. A tough nut indeed. 3.75/5
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Ursine Meditation 2G
Enchant creature
At the beginning of each end step, if enchanted creature didn't attack or block this turn, wasn't dealt damage this turn, and a spell or ability targeting it didn't resolve this turn, create a 2/2 green Bear creature token
I dig it. Do nothing, accumulate bears. Could be an uncommon though imo. 4/5
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Nurturing Valor 1gw
Enchantment - Aura (r)
enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, you may put a permanent card with mana value X or less from your hand onto the battlefield, where X is the damage dealt this way.
Sacrifice a nonland permanent: Enchanted creature's base power and toughness become each equal to the sacrificed permanent's mana value.
I really enjoy this design, it's the colors that feel off. The second ability in particular just doesn't feel super green or white to me. It's somewhere between auratog and Hunting Grounds , which is a rad place to be for sure, but like that nun in Madeline, I wake up up in the middle of the night with this feeling that something is not right
4.5/5
rankings
Show
Hide
1. Netn10
2. Henlock
3. Kwanyeegor-ii
Note: @void_nothing I hope this isn't too early but I have a hell of a busy week coming up and I just wanted to get it done before I forgot!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

With that, please critique everyone else and produce a top 3!

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Reviews
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Friends for Life 1WW
Enchant creature you control
This is a nice Platinum Angel variant. It seems a little crazy with any difficult-to-kill creature (hexproof, or a high Ward cost). The lower CMC is a little off; there's no need to play this very early in the game; you really want to play "can't die" effects the turn before you would do so (just in the nick of time, in other words), especailly given that the Aura doesn't do anything on its own -- at least Cloudsteel Kirin and company can attack.

I would probably push it a little further and make it "Whenever enchanted creature leaves the battlefield, you lose the game."

slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Curse of Lightning XUBR
Enchant player
The wording's a little confusing: Can you return any instant card, or just an instant card with mana value X? Also, while the card meets the criterion of having mana value 3, when cast for any value of X != 0, it won't.

There needs to be some sort of limiting wording on the copy clause, otherwise you can target yourself repeatedly with the same spell. Since it doesn't require the player to be the only target, this gets out of control with a wide variety of spells. And since it allows you to put a return a spell of your choice to your hand immediately, it acts as a one-card infinite engine.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Ursine Meditation 2G
Enchant creature
So there's five conditions needed to make a Bear, which sounds like a lot; exept it isn't.

Green has plenty of creatures that act like enchantments -- Seedborn Muse comes to mind, but there are plenty of others -- so not attacking and blocking isn't that big of an issue. You quickly generate tokens that can attack and block instead, so it's not that big of an issue. There's a slight weakness to goad.dec, but you can avoid that by tapping the enchanted creature -- which doesn't prevent the Aura from making a Bear.

Not being dealt damage is a slightly bigger issue. The Pacifism implied in the Aura negates the usual suspect of combat damage. The built-in Ward prevents most targeted damage. That leaves global damage effects cast by your opponents, which is a pretty narrow subset.

Spells and abilities not targeting it might finally be meaningful ... but since the Aura has Ward, it's not likely to be targeted by much. The "didn't resolve this turn" is a little confusing, and could be more clearly written.
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Nurturing Valor 1gw
Enchantment - Aura (r)
enchant creature
So we just went from making a Bear, to putting any permanent card onto the battlefield. Hmm.

It's an interesting engine -- you can chug through artifacts rather quickly this way, especially on a creature with decent evasion (white loves those). The sac outlet might actually be better than the Genesis effect, since you can activate it multiple times, as an instant, and with no other cost. I'd add a 1 or GW, or limit it to sorcery speed or once a turn, to balance it out.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Subterranean Depths bbb
Enchantment - Aura (r)
Enchant land
Enchanted land has "Pay 3 life, {t}: Destroy target attacking creature unless its controller discards two cards."
Repeatable creature destruction one a land seems mighty dangerous, even with the limitations. I think WotC steers away from repeatable destroy effects these days because they very much want to encourage creatures to attack, and often.
Rankings
Show
Hide
1. Friends for Life
2. Ursine Meditation
3. Subterranean Depths
4. Nurturing Valor
5, Curse of Lightning

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Inviolate is a bit weird 'cuz it sounds like a positive keyword, but I think more often than not it will be a downside by taking away your options. I'm intrigued by the idea of adapting devotion from something players have to something a creature has, but I don't like the change of including mana symbols in text boxes, which is a major change that's buried in the reminder text. I also think this is fairly underpowered, since it needs to be at least +3/+3 to be above curve (see Dub e.g.) which includes a pretty small percentage of creatures.
netn10
Show
Hide
Hmm, interesting. This is the sort of card you really want to put on an indestructible and/or hexproof creature (monstrous Fleecemane Lion maybe?), but the "and" is quite rare so I don't think it has balance issues. I'm going to be honest, it's not the sort of card that I really enjoy playing with or against, but at least it doesn't seem to be a terribly dangerous card.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I admit I don't really understand the flavor here. A creature becomes a pacifist and starts meditating and then... bears appear? As for the actual mechanics, there's a bit of a mistake in that it should say something like "if no spell or ability targeting it resolved this turn," since as written it needs to be targeted by a spell that fizzles in order for the ability to trigger. I also think players will be tripped up by the fact that (barring shenanigans) it can never trigger on the turn you play the meditation since that was itself a targeting spell.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I like it. There's a lot going on here, but the whole package seems to be fun so I'm in for it.
TheAmericanSpirit
Show
Hide
Even with the flavor text, the whole package feels a little random, but it's not that bad. What I don't love is how much this discourages attacking, since you hold up one land a turn and your opponent has no good choices: either only attack with worse creatures and allow you to pick them off one by one, or swing all out and accept either losing their best creature or discarding two cards.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. netn10
3. kwanyeegor-ii

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature

Inviolate looks way narrower than indestructible and creatures devotion doesnt make sense under the current meaning of devotion... but this is very innovative
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Friends for Life 1WW
Extremly flavorful, pretty similar to Worship but more risky I guess? Put it on Avacyn, Angel of Hope lolol
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Curse of Lightning XUBR
Enchant player
Wow this looks great, a vry strong splashy curse, good job
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Nurturing Valor 1gw
Enchantment - Aura (r)
enchant creature
Hmm this might have memory issues and I think maybe there should be flacor text but itd probably play really fun
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Subterranean Depths bbb
Enchantment - Aura (r)
Enchant land
Oh nice, this feels like a very old enchant land, like from Ice Age or something... I just like this card's style and it could be a good defensive option in commander
T3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 netn10
3 theamericanspirit
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Oneandonly- There are some ineteresting stuff to do with an inviolate creature, mainly skipping sacrifice triggers. I don't think 3 mana is where this needs to be, considering the pump is pretty likely to be quite small.

netn10- I'm not sure about this one. In some way, I feel it is rather bad, but the more I look at it I see it as the card that can make Boros turns shine: Lovelily risky.

slimytrout- I think this is too flexible as it is. Possibly a clause that stopped you from using it on yourself might be the way to go. I like the multiplayer utility for Curses here,

kwanyegor- A bear a turn is powerful, but I like how the aura itself gives tons of ways to stop bears from coming.

TheAmericanSpirit- Probably a bit too opressive, 3 life is not little if you want a repeatable effect and the way out of discarding two cards makes it a bit less reliable,

TOP THREE

1. Kwanyegor
2. netn10
3. slimytrout

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And the following are your top 4 -

@netn10
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Henlock
@slimytrout

Round coming soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”