Last Known Information Clarification

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this, but getting extra clarification is never a bad thing. So, let's say I have Juri, Master of the Revue equipped with Scythe of the Wretched. Juri enters into combat as a 3/3, and gets blocked by an Air Elemental. Elemental has three damage marked on it when Juri dies and it's death trigger goes on the stack, but Scythe will not trigger, right? As it won't be equipped by the time the elemental would die. Or does this work similar to the fight mechanic does with last known information.

Is there any way, as presented, I can make the scythe take the air elemental here?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 1 year ago
You are correct. In this case, Scythe only triggers when the something dies after being dealt damage by the current equipped creature. Since there is no equipped creature at the time the Elemental dies, Scythe has nothing to trigger off of.

And, while not exactly your question, I am curious on what you think Fight has to do with LKI. That is, very rarely will LKI come into play there since things that aren't on the battlefield can't Fight. For example, if Apex Altisaur enters the field and targets a creature to Fight, but Apex leaves the field before said Fight occurs, there is no Fight. Since there isn't a Fight, it doesn't really matter what Altisaur's LKI was.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

You are correct. In this case, Scythe only triggers when the something dies after being dealt damage by the current equipped creature. Since there is no equipped creature at the time the Elemental dies, Scythe has nothing to trigger off of.

And, while not exactly your question, I am curious on what you think Fight has to do with LKI. That is, very rarely will LKI come into play there since things that aren't on the battlefield can't Fight. For example, if Apex Altisaur enters the field and targets a creature to Fight, but Apex leaves the field before said Fight occurs, there is no Fight. Since there isn't a Fight, it doesn't really matter what Altisaur's LKI was.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

WizardMN wrote:
1 year ago
I was confusing myself with a situation on the rules advisor exam.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”