Harmless Offering, by Howard Lyon and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League![/b]

Participants:

@RaikouRider
@void_nothing
@Ink-Treader
@Henlock

Theme

It's Giving Month here at the CCL -- we're going to be giving things.

Challenge
Design an aura and an equipment that that each give the permanent they're attached to a non-evergreen keyword.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
  • Keywords include both keyword abilities and keyword actions, but not ability words.
Your submissions are due Saturday, June 4th, 23:59 EDT.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 30th-May 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 10th-17th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 21st–25th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due May 28th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 31st–June 4th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due June 8th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

RaikouRider
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Mirran Banner 2
Artifact - Equipment {U}
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each creature you control and has battle cry. (When it attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)
Equip legendary creature 1
Equip 3

Compelled Predation 1GG
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and has provoke. (When it attacks, its controller may have target creature defending player controls untap and block it if able.)
When Compelled Predation is put into a graveyard, if it was targeting a creature or was attached to a creature that is no longer on the battlefield, return Compelled Predation to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Ancestral Discipline 3W
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has indestructible and outlast W. (It has "W, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. Outlast only as a sorcery.")
Whenever you activate an outlast ability of enchanted creature or another permanent you control, copy that ability.

Illusory Umbra 3
Artifact - Equipment (R)
When Illusory Umbra enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.
Equipped creature has skulk and "Whenever this creature attacks and isn't blocked, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each token you control." (A creature with skulk can't be blocked by creatures with greater power.)
Equip 3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Geistweave Mantle 1WW
Artifact Creature - Spirit Equipment (U)
Flying
Afterlife 2 (When this creature dies, create two 1/1 white and black Spirit creature tokens with flying.)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and, if it's not a Spirit, has afterlife 1.
Reconfigure 2 (2: Attach to target creature you control; or unattach from a creature. Reconfigure only as a sorcery. While attached, this isn't a creature.)
2/2

Fervid Defiance {r/W}{R/W}
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+0 and has battle cry. (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)
As long you have half or less of your starting life total, enchanted creature gets +2/+0 and has battle cry. (If a creature has multiple instances of battle cry, each triggers separately.)
Last edited by Ink-Treader 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Bump for @Henlock -- out of town but will close tomorrow.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Monastic Robes 0
Artifact - Equipment (u)
Flash
Equipped creature has +0/+1 and prowess.
Equip 2

Tactical Leadership 1rw
Enchantment - Aura (u)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has mentor.
When enchanted creature dies in combat, attach Tactical Leadership to a creature you control.

slimytrout

Round is closed! Please critique the other entries and arrange them into a top 3.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
RaikouRider - Mirran Banner is very satisfying - I like how the bonuses work in parallel. The equip-legendary discount is just tasty. Compelled Predation's recursion ability is really cool: this feels so much like a Rancor reference I wish it were more of a Rancor reference.

Ink-Treader - Both a bit Modern Horizons. Geistweave Mantle's "if it's not a Spirit" clause works well for both flavor and not causing loops, but I think in general the card has too much going on. Fervid Defiance is fun for outright using stacking repeated triggered abilities.

Henlock - Understated! Monastic Robes is a thinker and I really like how it supports existing prowess creatures. Tactical Leadership is pure flavor and feels very much like a Boros card.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. RaikouRider
3. Ink-Treader
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Henlock
Show
Hide
Equipment: An Equipment with flash that doesn't automatically equip will definitely throw some people off, but I see that it's intended to help add prowess triggers.
Aura: Seems fine. I like that it encourages combat by being able to pass itself on.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Equipment: Pretty straightforward, and the mirrored scaling with battle cry is cute.
Aura: This feels strong. Provoke is a powerful keyword, its on an Aura that's pretty difficult to deal with, though I do appreciate the attempt to cover the 'creature it's targeting is no longer there' case.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Equipment: A little odd that this makes a token but doesn't automatically attach the Equipment to it. Other than that, it's a cute way to give a creature skulk, while allowing it to fulfill skulk's condtions and be a threat.
Aura: Being Indestructibility with less targets but upside seems neat. Outlast isn't a particularly flashy keyword, but this does do a decent job of sweetening it up, especially if one can stick multiples of this Aura.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. void_nothing
2. Henlock
3. RaikouRider

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

RaikouRaider- I like how the equipment reflects leadership, this is.something you want ro attach to.your go-wide commander.
I think the aura can become.a bit oppressive, +3 toughness is huge for.surviving combats and the recurring ability is very powerful.

Void Nothing - Indestructibility pairs well.with potential buffs, specially because it fights the weak spot of.-X/-X effects. It is also peetty good when you can:t pass through defense. Outlast is slow but it comolements indestructible quite well. Illusory Umbra.is.very ontrrrsting. I agree with Ink-Treader that creating a token and not attaching the equipment to it feels a bit off, but iI understand it is.meant to enable.it. I like that it works with any tokens,.so clues and treasures will.also pump the creature.

Ink-Treader- I find a bit weird that the reconfigured ability doesn"t quite mirror the creature part, but it is instead something likr a lesser version of it. I think Afterlife in a reconfigure equipment is pretty nice, as it lets you.keep it safely attached if you have the mana or suspeact a boardwipe is coming. I would make this smaller.
On the aura, +4 and +2 gor the team is a.huge bonus for 2 mana..I am.worried it might be too efficient for.monowhite and monored.

1. Voidnothing
2. RaikouRaoder
3. InkTreader

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 1 year ago

Will get to this tomorrow but here's a tentative t3

Henlock: Both of these are fantastic; the equipment is an instant 4-of in any deck that relies on prowess as a win condition. The aura is good too; my only complaint is what does "dies in oombat" mean? There is currently no rules definition for that term. Does it simply need to die during the combat phase? Does it need to die as a result of lethal combat damage being marked on it?

void_nothing: Now this is an indestructibility aura I would play; the actual aura Indestructibility felt like it cost one mana too much. The equipment is a heck of a Limited bomb, giving itself an evasive body to take advantage of the trigger. 3 equip cost is hefty though.

Ink-Treader: These feel like Modern Horizons 3 cards. I don't like the lack of symmetry between what your equipment does while attached to a creature or standalone; all the reconfigure equipment from Neon Dynasty have this, as do the Bestow creatures from Theros. Your Aura is terrifying in go-wide decks and is probably Constructed playable.

1) Henlock
2) void_nothing
3) Ink-Treader

slimytrout

And we're on to the finals with Henlock and void_nothing! Will post it later tonight.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”