From the Catacombs confusion

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

So, I was playing with some of the new precons (in digital form, no physical cards), and an opponent used From the Catacombs to steal a card from another player's graveyard.
We thought nothing of it, as that seemed perfectly reasonable, but on a closer inspection of the card we noticed that it is phrased:

"Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield with a corpse counter on it."

With no mention of who's control, this would imply that the card returns under its owner's control, but I don't recall this type of effect omitting defining the controller.
Since this would make the card significantly worse, especially seeing as it is in a mill-focused deck, we were dubious and went looking for rulings, which do not yet exist.
The wording on the card, and the wording on Scryfall agree, but are unclear. The card does not yet appear on the Gatherer.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2022-06-01
So I went to the release notes article, and found the card there. The text in the card image there agrees with the unclear wording, but the text description says:

"Return target creature card a graveyard to the battlefield under your control with a corpse counter on it."

And the notes make no other mention of who controls the creature.
So my question is, who controls the creature? Worse yet, is this a case of a misprint, or are the card images used in previews, release notes, and databases not finalized?
What is going on here?

...and I'm aware that the answer might be "It's too early to know, wait for the Gatherer to update with the full release of the set."

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 years ago
Since the Release Notes use "your control" it seems likely that is meant to be (and will be) the Oracle Text, regardless of what the printed card says.

Even if it doesn't get updated. this rule has you covered:

110.2a. If an effect instructs a player to put an object onto the battlefield, that object enters the battlefield under that player's control unless the effect states otherwise.

So, basically, no matter how you look at it, the Catcombs player is going to get the target.

As to whether this is an image mock up issue or a true printing issue , or even a weird issue with the text in the Release Notes, we won't really know until people have the cards in their hand. But the text in the Release Notes should match the Oracle Text. However, I am not sure of a precedent where it does not match *and* the Oracle Changes update bulletin doesn't address it. For example, Zevlor, Elturel Exile received an Oracle Text update (which is reflected in the Release Notes) but was also called out in the Oracle Changes update bulletin.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 132
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

Since the Release Notes use "your control" it seems likely that is meant to be (and will be) the Oracle Text, regardless of what the printed card says.

Even if it doesn't get updated. this rule has you covered:

110.2a. If an effect instructs a player to put an object onto the battlefield, that object enters the battlefield under that player's control unless the effect states otherwise.

So, basically, no matter how you look at it, the Catcombs player is going to get the target.

As to whether this is an image mock up issue or a true printing issue , or even a weird issue with the text in the Release Notes, we won't really know until people have the cards in their hand. But the text in the Release Notes should match the Oracle Text. However, I am not sure of a precedent where it does not match *and* the Oracle Changes update bulletin doesn't address it. For example, Zevlor, Elturel Exile received an Oracle Text update (which is reflected in the Release Notes) but was also called out in the Oracle Changes update bulletin.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”