Aces

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 years ago

Westenhemp Flying Ace -- 2W
Creature - Angel Pilot
Flying
Flying ace (This creature can't lose flying. As long as this is the only creature with flying, it gets +2/+2.)
2/2

Westentort Cavalry Ace -- 2R
Creature - Centaur Cavalry
Horsemanship
Horsemanship ace (This creature can't lose horsemanship. As long as this is the only creature with horsemanship, it gets +2/+2.)
2/2

Is this as nifty an ability as I think it is? It would obviously work for a cycle of cards (maybe a double or triple cycle of cards per color), and works as both a bonus and drawback, which as a designer I find rather compelling. I also like cards that create deckbuilding challenges, so it tweaks that knob for me, too. But do other people find that as nifty?

Is it too self-referential? The alternative would be to have one generic ability ("ace") which would prevent it from losing its printed abilities, but that seems a little vague and wild.

Does the power level swing too much based on the rarity of the ability it's tied to? Horsemanship and flying are often seen as essentially the same, but one appears ten gazillion times more frequently than the other.

Is there a better bonus than just +2/+2? That seemed a sweet spot between +1/+1 (too insignificant) and too swingy (+3/+3 or more), but p/t boosts are also low-hanging fruit.

The "can't lose {foo}" ability is mostly tinker text, until you consider Kasmina's Transmutation, Exemplars, Thundercloud Elemental, Earthbind, and similar cards.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Moved from Rulings to the main section - this isn't really a rules question, it's just about the designs.
In these instances ace seems like a very swingy ability. In the case of the Flying Ace you have either a below-rate CMC 3 2/2 flyer or a very strong 4/4 unblockable (barring reach). In the case of the Cavalry Ace, in every sane (in-a-vacuum) situation it's the latter.

I'm not sure how much design space there is here? It's a keyword that basically turns off as soon as you have a second copy of the same card out, which is a strike against it.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 years ago

The "+2/+2" does make it seem very linear, but it could certainly be tweaked. Here's a different version. I'm keeping the bulk of the card generic to highlight the ability.

Sothron Despot -- 2B
Creature - Zombie Lord
Fear, intimidate, menace, ace (As long as Sothron Despot is the only creature with fear, it's an ace. The same goes for intimidate and menace.)
As long as Sothron Despot is an ace, it has "5B: Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control tapped and attacking the same creature or planeswalker Sothron Despot is attacking. Exile that creature at the end of turn, Activate this ability only once per combat."
2/2

As far as the on-off-ness of it -- that's part of the charm of the ability. It doesn't just turn off when you have a second copy of the same card; it turns off if you have another creature with the same ability. So its very anti-linear deckbuilding. It would probably suck in draft! Like I said, though, I'm partial to abilities that can be both an advantage and drawback, depending on how they're played and what deck they're in. (See: Shroud.)

Thinking about it, the ability and the "ace ability" could be folded into one: "This creature has {foo} and can't lose {foo}, which saves the repetitivitinessity. Though I'm not big on cross-referential abilities, it should be easily understood by players here. (This all began with thinking what "flying plus more flying" would do to a creature, after all.)

The "ace" bit makes me think these should all be legendary creatures. Here's another one, that reinforces its own greatness.

Le Terette, Fencing Ace -- 1RR
Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior
First strike ace (Le Terette, Fencing Ace has first strike and can't lose first strike. As long as Le Terrette is the only creature with first strike, it gets +2/+2.)
1RR, T: Le Terrete fights target creature with first strike.
"En garde! On yer knees! On your mark, get set, touche!" -- Le Terrette, at the grand tournament
2/3

Also, just for myself, "menace ace." *giggle*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”