Agitator Ant and Traitorous Greed

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

If I goaded my own Agitator Ant and my opponent casts Traitorous Greed on it, can it attack me?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 2 years ago
Depends. Does that player have an opponent who is not you? If so, no - they are (generally) able to attack a player other than you in this case. If you're their only opponent, they may attack you with the Ant.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Depends. Does that player have an opponent who is not you? If so, no - they are (generally) able to attack a player other than you in this case. If you're their only opponent, they may attack you with the Ant.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Thank you. That's what I thought. It's because the ability determines the effect at the time it is triggered, not who is controlling it during attack. Is that more or less correct?

Argus
Answers: 53
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 2 years ago

701.38. Goad
701.38a Certain spells and abilities can goad a creature. Until the next turn of the controller of that
spell or ability
, that creature is goaded.
701.38b Goaded is a designation a permanent can have. A goaded creature attacks each combat if
able and attacks a player other than the controller of the permanent, spell, or ability that caused
it to be goaded
if able. Goaded is neither an ability nor part of the permanent's copiable values.
701.38c A creature can be goaded by multiple players. Doing so creates additional combat
requirements.
701.38d Once a player has goaded a creature, the same player goading it again has no effect. Doing
so doesn't create additional combat requirements.
Goading remembers who did the goading (so that it can possibly ignore them). It does not make a note of who controlled that creature at the time.

Also, it does not actually forbid attacking that player (or a planeswalker). It's just not possible for one creature to attack both that player and another opponent -- this is not an issue in a two-player game.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”