May CCL Signups/Round 2: Extended Warranty

Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

CCL May Signups/Round 2

"Extended Warranty"

Harmless Offering, by Howard Lyon and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Giving Month here at the CCL -- we're going to be giving things.

Challenge
Design a card that gives something to a card perpetually.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
  • Perpetually is (currently) an Arena-only term meaning that the card keeps the granted ability no matter what zone it's in.
Anyone can enter this second round, whether or not you entered the first! Your submissions are due Tuesday, May 17th, 23:59 EDT.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 30th-May 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 10th-17th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 20th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due May 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 30th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Geoassertion 1GG
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one-
-Lands you own in all zones gain "T: Add one mana of any color" perpetually.
-Lands you own in all zones gain "1, Discard this: Draw a card" perpetually.
-Lands you own in all zones gain "1: This becomes a 2/2 Elemental creature until end of turn. It's still a land" perpetually
-Lands you own in all zones gain ward 1 perpetually.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Karn's Eye 3
Legendary Artifact (R)
If Karn's Eye is in your opening hand, you may exile Karn's Eye. If you do, each creature card in your library gains "This card costs 1 less to cast." perpetually.
Karn's Eye enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add c.
A remnant of a once powerful but forgotten planeswalker still keeps it's watch.
Last edited by Pygyzy 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Shape the Future XGGG
Sorcery (Mythic)
Until the end of the game, each creature you own perpetually costs X less to cast, and has base power and toughness X/X.
Last edited by netn10 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Purposeful Adventurer rw
Creature - Human Warrior (u)
When Purposeful Adventurer enters the battlefield, each card you own in every zone named Purposeful Adventurer perpetually gains of your choice +1/+1, flying, first strike, haste, lifelink, menace, protection from artifacts, prowess, trample, vigilance or ward .
2/1

RaikouRider
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Ashmouth Hellbird 1BR
Creature - Phoenix {M}
Flying, haste
When Ashmouth Hellbird dies, it perpetually gains "When Ashmouth Hellbird enters the battlefield, you lose 2 life." Then return it to the battlefield tapped under your control.
3/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Eliza's Ritual 1UBR
Sorcery (Rare)
Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard with mana value 4 or greater perpetually gains flashback. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
Each creature card in your graveyard with mana value 4 or greater perpetually gains unearth. The unearth cost is equal to its mana cost.
Exile Eliza's Ritual.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Hellkite Gene 6RR
Sorcery {M}
Creatures you control and creature cards you own that aren't on the battlefield perpetually become 5/5, become Dragons in addition to their other types, and gain flying and "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Meloch, Pillardrop Plunderer 1RW
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman (R)
When Meloch enters the battlefield, each artifact card you own that isn't on the battlefield perpetually becomes a Treasure in addition to its other types and gains "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
Whenever an artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, Meloch deals 1 damage to target creature or planeswalker and you gain 1 life.
1RW, Discard a nonartifact card: Return target artifact card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
Velomachus considers him a reckless rulebreaker, but a useful one.
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Only about 12 hours left for entries in this round!

slimytrout

Ok, round is closed! Please critique the other contestants and arrange them into a top 3.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader - This is interesting thinking. The name is a little abstract and it's vaguely annoying that it keeps triggering after granting every possible ability - although you can just keep adding ward 1 I suppose. Balance-wise - I think it's fine, given that everything is granted on a delay. Trying to imagine the Arena context for this.

Pygyzy - Even affecting only creature cards, even not working on ones in your hand - I'm certain this card's too powerful. One card down in the opening hand is a tiny price to pay for reducing your mana curve by one for the whole game. But I love the Leyline/Chancellor/Serum Powder design space, and I can't fault the thinking.

netn10 - Tool for Hydras.dek? This looks like a much fairer way of mass cost reduction, but I'm concerned it might be too expensive to be viable.

Henlock - Ooh, lots of choices! This is basically a Magic-ized version of the Factotum mechanic from Elder Scrolls Legends, which I loved. Difficult to evaluate without considering all the possibilities at four plays-plus.

RaikouRider - A perpetual drawback, interesting. Very much a sui-black (and red) card, and this is going to end the game for someone.

kwanyeegor-ii - Neat, and I like the mana value gate here to prevent abusive recursion of cheap stuff. Would love to see an Alara Alchemy set too.

MonoRedMage - Splashy! Also quite expensive, but a nice way to make sure your 1- and 2-drops aren't dead draws.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. netn10
3. MonoRedMage
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Ink-Treader - The only complaints I have about this are: 1) This might be slightly overcosted; it doesn't feel good to pay 1GG for a card like this. I feel this should cost GG or 2G; and 2) the final ability is stackable, and each ward will trigger. If this is on the battlefield for a long time, that is a LOT of clicking, since your opponent will need to click "Pay 1" for every instance of ward on the land.

Pygyzy: There is no reason this couldn't be done in paper with slightly different wording. I like the concept of this, but it doesn't take advantage of digital-only mechanics enough to warrant a vote.

netn10: Now this concept concept is something I like. This probabaly should have an "X can't be zero" rider, but it doesn't work as intended; as worded, this only affects creatures you own that are on the battlefield.

Henlock: This is such a versatile card. I would love to have this in my Limited formats. I don't think it's quite strong enough for Constructed, but having multiples of this in my Jumpstart pack is excellent.

kwanyeegor-ii: I love the Alara callback here; would love to have Eliza of the Keep as a card. The restriction on MV is important, as otherwise this would be played in unfair combo decks.

MonoRedMage: I don't think this would see play outside of a Jumpstart-like format - not even very much in Historic Brawl. The cost is about right for the effect, but eight mana is just so much.

void_nothing: This is so cool. This is a combo enabler for Cheeri0s-style decks. This probably should check to see whether the card in question is already a Treasure (e.g. "...and that isn't a Treasure") because if this triggers multiple times in a game, it adds a lot of extra clicking.

1) void_nothing
2) kwanyeegor-ii
3) Henlock
Last edited by RaikouRider 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Pygyzy
Show
Hide
Pretty powerful opening hand effect. I think the card itself outside of that interaction is rather underpowered though. At the very least, it needn't enter tapped.
netn10
Show
Hide
Interesting. I wish a felt a bit better to cast early, but 0/0 creatures (which are often X cost creatures) do get quite a lot out of this. Is 'creature' over 'creature card' deliberate? I'm assuming creature card is the intent considering the cost reduction.
Henlock
Show
Hide
A very fun blink target. the +1/+1, prowess and ward 2 merit mention as being exceptionally stackable.I think it's ultimately probably safe, but it's not hard to make this difficult to deal with.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
I wonder if just 1 life would have been fine. Throwing removal at it is a very viable way to kill its controller. On the other hand, this goes infinite with a sac outlet + Torpor Orb effects.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Neat. Technically doesn't obsolete future castings, and focusing on high costing cards I think helps keep it honest.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
That's a fun finisher. Not much else to say; it's the kind of card that'll spark joy in the Timmy-est of players (well it does shrink things that are larger than 5/5, but eh. Dragons!).
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Ah, that it only effects cards that aren't on the battlefield does a lot to keep this in line. It is very solid engine though.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. void_nothing
3. MonoRedMage

slimytrout

Would love to get some more critiques! Leaving this open until midnight tonight.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Top 3 -
1 - RaikouRider
2 - Pygyzy
3 - Henlock

slimytrout

Cutting to a top 6, we have:

RaikouRider