[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Yeah, I'm no fan. Not letting me change tokens is bad. The extended border version adds nothing.

Love the idea of reconfiguring then using this guy on the equipment to beef up my Lizard Blades…but again, just fun and not efficient whatsoever.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 2 years ago

Well you could make one of the indestructible artifact lands into creatures.

Honestly the staff is pretty bad. It needs blue mana to cast which limits where it can be played. Can't tutored with urza's saga and you can't even buff the saga tokens. Why did this also need sorcery speed and target restriction? I don't really see a point to even animate vehicles. One the big strengths of vehicles is that they aren't creatures so they aren't vulnerable to creature removal.

Serenade
UnderKing

…what are you doing with the vehicles if never animating them?

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

[This message has been deleted at the request of the original poster.]
Last edited by 3drinks 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
illakunsaa wrote:
2 years ago
Can't tutored with urza's saga and you can't even buff the saga tokens. Why did this also need sorcery speed and target restriction? I don't really see a point to even animate vehicles. One the big strengths of vehicles is that they aren't creatures so they aren't vulnerable to creature removal.
What? Urza's Saga can certainly find this.
is not . They may have the same Mana Value, but they are not the same. Urza's Saga can NOT fetch The Blackstaff of Waterdeep

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
What? Urza's Saga can certainly find this.
Urza's Saga only finds cards that specifically cost or - you can't fetch colored artifacts or artifacts without a mana cost (such as artifact lands).

The Blackstaff of Waterdeep is... a pretty suspect card. I could see a niche use for using it alongside indestructible (or expendable) artifacts to repeatedly create bodies, but a 4/4 isn't that exciting... especially given that you have to use it at sorcery speed. The one use case I can imagine for it is to repeatedly enable The Grand Calcutron voltron beatdown - most of the ways to animate an artifact are auras, which means you'll lose them if The Grand Calcutron dies. Blackstaff at least sticks around post-death.

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Urza's Saga only finds cards that specifically cost or - you can't fetch colored artifacts or artifacts without a mana cost (such as artifact lands).
Wait...you can't get Lotus Bloom with this?

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Mookie

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Wait...you can't get Lotus Bloom with this?
No, you can't - the mana cost referred to by Urza's Sage is distinct from mana value. Contrast with Trinket Mage, which searches for an artifact with 'mana value 1 or less'.

3drinks

Friday, April 22nd, 2022; Doom Weaver

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I dig it. At the very least, it's a huge ass blocker. On its better days, it turns ball lightnings into hand refills. It isn't super efficient or bulletproof, but nonetheless, I dig it.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Serenade
UnderKing

[cries in Mannichi] (I know it's not a red ability, but that dude will have its day.)

Has the Rakdos logo. I got one because it might be useful in the future. I have no clue what to do with it now. Generic toughness matters? Umbris? Blex? Maybe just wait.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Obvious synergy with Wolfir Silverheart. There are really quite a few things one can do with this.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

onering

Post by onering » 2 years ago

This spider seems cool as hell, and I never knew it existed.

Black Staff seems like it would only be good at supporting vehicles with steep crew costs, but for most of those you don't want their p/t set at 4/4. Parhelion 2 maybe, or the Weatherlight, but not many others would want this, and the ones that do it's a minimal benefit. Idk if there are any random artifacts that happen to benefit from becoming creatures. With this, but I'm sure there's engines involving intruder alarm or similar creature untap effects and noncreature artifacts turned into creatures that could benefit.

Mookie

Combos with Zombie Infestation and a sac outlet.

Doom Weaver is a cool card. At six mana, it's a bit clunky, but the soulbond ability can represent a ton of card draw in the right deck (probably Greven, Predator Captain). It does compete against easier-to-use cards like Harvester of Souls and Grim Haruspex though.

....I will call out that it's one of only two black cards with reach, the other being Drider (and Lolth, Spider Queen makes reach tokens). Black has access to flying already though, so not a huge issue from a mechanical perspective.

As someone that started playing in Avacyn Restored, I'm actually pretty happy they made a new cycle of soulbond cards - other than Deadeye Navigator, I haven't really seen any of them show up in EDH. Not that I've seen any of the new cycle either though - it feels like people tend to forget about set booster cards.... plus they all feel just a little underpowered relative to where the format is. That's probably for the best though - if a set booster card ended up being a mega-staple, its price could easily wind up out of control.

Anyway, I'll call out the other members of its cycle: Thundering Mightmare, Mirage Phalanx, Imperious Mindbreaker, and Breathkeeper Seraph. Of them, I think Mirage Phalanx opens up the most shenanigans, but I should probably test out Breathkeeper Seraph sometime.

Serenade
UnderKing

If you have Mirage Phalanx and the new Determined Iteration out, can you populate the MP token? Sorry to be a bit off topic. Mostly had been thinking about DI lately.

3drinks

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
If you have Mirage Phalanx and the new Determined Iteration out, can you populate the MP token? Sorry to be a bit off topic. Mostly had been thinking about DI lately.
Since DI does not target, yes unless you stack the triggers wrong. DI on the stack first, MP on the stack, net result is you have a MP, copy of MP that'll get exiled, and then DI copy of MP that'll get sac'd.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

AH, yep, I also thought populate targeted. That is excellent. Thanks!

Elincia

Post by Elincia » 2 years ago

Copy it with Volrath, the Shapestealer, soulbound them together, sacrifice or kill Volrath, draw 14 cards. Actually pretty easy to do in a sultai deck. I like it.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Friday, April 22nd, 2022; Doom Weaver
I really want to like this card, and even have a copy, but I haven't managed to sleeve it up. It almost made its way into Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger, where the plan was to cast Kroxa, soulbond, and then let the didn't-escape sacrifice trigger happen. I haven't managed to play it in anything yet.

3drinks

Saturday, April 23rd, 2022; Selvala, Heart of the Wilds

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

i'M jUsT pLaYiNg BiG cReAtUrEs, iT's A bAtTlEcRuIsEr DeCk.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

This was the most fun cEDH deck when paradox engine was legal and is easily still the coolest, though much less viable in the age of thoracle. I tell you, you haven't lived until you've got 300+ mana and drawn your deck off greater good, ready to slam dunk the table with every creature you've got and concordant crossroads. On turn 4, no less.

Sadly, cedh has become totally asinine as a subformat, so there's not much reason to chase that dragon anymore.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

For some reason I always forget how absurdly bonkers this card is. It just has so much text on it. Letting someone untap with it is almost always going to end badly.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 2 years ago

Hey one my Commanders. Shes totally fine and balanced :shhh:

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

I hate Conspiracy 2 as a set. This lady, her stampede, Leovold (haha RIP you idiot), and his stupid vote card all really messed up commander. Worse still, that wasn't even WOTC's final form...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”