Gideon, Champion Of Justice and March of Swirling Mist

rexyplaysmtg
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rexyplaysmtg » 2 years ago

Ok. Since I'm making a Gideon deck, I need some resolution to the following scenario:

Player A has 7 white lands and 3 blue lands, a Sol Ring, Gideon, Champion of Justice (with 16 loyalty counters on it), a Gideon of the Trials (with the emblem enabled), their commander (Daxos, Blessed by the Sun), and a random 1/1 Angel with flying on the battlefield. On Player A's turn, they ticked the Gideon, Champion of Justice down -15 to exile all other permanents. Before exiling though (specifically as a response to exile), they played a March of Swirling Mist and tapped all 10 lands and a Sol Ring to phase 11 permanents; they chose Daxos, 7 lands, their commander, Gideon of the Trials, and the Sol Ring.

Would the phase of March of Swirling Mist, resolve with Daxos, the lands, the commander, Gideon, and the Sol Ring surviving due to them not existing and come back on the next upkeep with each opponent's permanents exiled if they can't respond?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 years ago
Since they are now phased out, and did so prior to the Gideon's ability resolving, the ability can't find them to exile. They don't exist for most purposes of the game so the ability can't exile them. They will phase back in during the controller's next Untap (not Upkeep) step. So they will be quite a bit ahead of everyone else who just had all of their stuff exiled.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 132
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

Since they are now phased out, and did so prior to the Gideon's ability resolving, the ability can't find them to exile. They don't exist for most purposes of the game so the ability can't exile them. They will phase back in during the controller's next Untap (not Upkeep) step. So they will be quite a bit ahead of everyone else who just had all of their stuff exiled.

rexyplaysmtg

Oops, my bad, meant to say untap, I think, but thank you for resolving that.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Note that March of Swirling Mist only targets creatures. The question is answered correctly from the perspective of how phasing works, but of course, this would have to assume that somehow every noncreature permanent in question was a creature. (And also that the commander was actually Daxos of Meletis if the deck has both white and blue cards in it.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

rexyplaysmtg

Good point. Scratch that as the commander and put Millicent, Restless Revenant or a Grand Arbiter Augustin IV as such.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”