Gideon of the Trials

rexyplaysmtg
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rexyplaysmtg » 2 years ago

Ok y, all. I need some explanation. What the actual heck is up with with this rule on the planeswalker, Gideon of the Trials

I get that the 0 loyalty counter gives the player who controls it "You get an emblem with: 'You can't lose the game, but your opponents can't win. But is it really possible to just not lose with this planeswalker, not on the battlefield?

This is from the official Magic ruling; is this even fair?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 12.25.06.png

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 2 years ago
Yes, you can't lose if you have that emblem and a Gideon on the battlefield - not by an effect, drawing from an empty library, 0 life, or ten poison counters.

However, "and a Gideon on the battlefield" is exactly the rub: Once Gideon is not there, whether he's been put into a graveyard for having 0 loyalty due to combat damage, destroyed outright, returned to hand, whatever - if you have 0 life or ten poison, you'll lose right away when state-based actions are checked, and if you have an empty library, you'll lose when you try to draw your next card when state-based actions are checked.

The ruling in question refers to instances when one Gideon leaves the battlefield and another enters later.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Yes, you can't lose if you have that emblem and a Gideon on the battlefield - not by an effect, drawing from an empty library, 0 life, or ten poison counters.

However, "and a Gideon on the battlefield" is exactly the rub: Once Gideon is not there, whether he's been put into a graveyard for having 0 loyalty due to combat damage, destroyed outright, returned to hand, whatever - if you have 0 life or ten poison, you'll lose right away when state-based actions are checked, and if you have an empty library, you'll lose when you try to draw your next card when state-based actions are checked.

The ruling in question refers to instances when one Gideon leaves the battlefield and another enters later.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

rexyplaysmtg
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rexyplaysmtg » 2 years ago

Ah, I see. You'll still have the emblem (as stated in the ruling), but it will be inactive because the card states, "As long as..."

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Correct. The effect is conditional.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”