NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

I'm going to judge these cards based on the seminal gangster movies of our time, on a scale of 1-5: Godfather (the class of gangster life), Scarface (The violence of gangster life) and Goodfellas (The crime of gangster life)
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Getaway Car 2WW
Artifact - Vehicle (U)
Attacking creatures you control have first strike.
Whenever Getaway Car becomes a creature, remove from combat up to 3 target creatures you control.
Crew 1
2/3

Grand Theft Auroch 3G
Artifact - Vehicle (R)
Any player may crew Grand Theft Auroch. If Grand Theft Auroch would become a creature this way, instead that player creates a tapped 2/3 green Auroch creature token. Then, if a player controls four or more Aurochs, sacrifice Grand Theft Auroch.
Crew 4
Godfather: 3 You know your way around classiness, but you're not really showing it well.
Scarface: 1 Not really violent a lot in here.
Goodfellas: 5 Lots of crime going on here, one card named after a crime.
Total: 9
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
I haven't the slightest idea of what I'm doing.

Garcazzio, Botanist of Tragedies
3bgu
Legendary Creature - Elder Demon (M)
If a creature dying causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
, Exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard: Create a green 0/1 green Plant creature token with "When this creature dies, copy the exiled card. You may cast the copy without paying its mana cost."
4/7
The gardens of La Famiglia Garcazzio yield the most potent compounds; everything from ecstasy and euphoria to dreamless sleep and sudden death.

Garcazzio theme: Death triggers

Konvali, Politician of Privilege
3urw
Flying, trample, protection from enchantments
Diplomatic Immunity -Konvali, Politician of Privilege is not affected by effects of non-Aura enchantments that don't target it.
7/5
Everyone knows that La Famiglia Konvali are untouchable; they have done everything to insure that they are truly above the law.

Konvali theme: Detrimental Enchantments and breaking their symmetry

Dirgencia, Death's Medicine
3wbg
Deathtouch, lifelink
When Dirgencia, Death's Medicine enters the battlefield, each other player loses 4 life and you gain that much life.
2wbbg, Pay 13 life: Return Dirgencia from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
6/6
La Famiglia Dirgencia are the most skilled of doctors that practice the most advanced of medicine, but only for the wealthy. They harvest health from the poor and sell it to the rich.

Dirgencia theme: Lifegain

IIW: Puns
Godfather: 5 These cards ooze class, high profile families. I love it. Chef's kiss.
Scarface: 4 Lots of implied Violence, especially in the death trigger plants
Goodfellas: 5 Each family has their own style of crimes that they do, so we're really in deep.
Total: 14 Gonna be hard to beat.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Gumshoe 3000 1W
Artifact Creature — Construct Advisor (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a permanent an opponent controls commits a crime, investigate. This ability only triggers once each turn. (Crewing vehicles, attacking players, and dealing lethal damage to other permanents are crimes.)
2/2

IIW: A construct replacement
Godfather: 2 Not a lot of class going on with the cops
Scarface: 3 Vigilance is good for committing violence, and cops in Mafia movies are usually dirty.
Goodfellas: 5 Referencing crimes in the rules text is very good, and I like what you batched to define it, though crewing a vehicle is usually a prelude to attacking.
Total: 10
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Myglol Cultist 2B
Creature - Human Cultist (C)
Profane Strike (You may have this creature deal damage as if it had double strike. If you do, its first strike also damages you.)
2/2

Veirhilda, Song of Spring 1GG
Legendary Creature - Human Avatar (M)
Leitmotif 1G - Create a 1/1 green Plant creature token. (You may play a creature's leitmotif as an Instant - Music, as it enters, attacks, or dies.)
2/3

Ogre Contralto 1R
Creature - Ogre Warrior (U)
Ogre Contralto has +1/+1 and Trample if it's Act 3.
Narrative (Any player may pay 2 as a sorcery to advance the game to Act 2, or if it's Act 2, pay 3 to advance to Act 3. A player that advances the game draws a card if they control a permanent with narrative.)
2/1

Flavor: Operas in New Capenna have ritualistic undertones. Actors are part singers, part shamans, part gladiators. As they reenact history, they channel the spirits of the past, for a performance that truly energizes the audience. The "Narrative" protects the players, but in occasion, a function ends in tragedy if a player takes on a role beyond their means. Still, they are revered in success or failure, for the Narrative keeps the spirits sated and trapped in history. Angels and demons are happy to keep dormant the old rivals of the past.

iiw: not this again!
Very interesting arrangement here, I like the melody, but since Streets is an Art Deco, I feel like if we'd have any music references in the set, it'd be Jazz. These cards also don't really fall into the mafia theme, so I can't really give them a numeric score on that scale, so I'll just say E♯
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
So Kaera, the Monopolist 2UG
Legendary Creature- Demon Advisor (R)
Flash, Ward 3
Contract-- Don't cast any spells other than artifact and creature spells.
As long as you haven't broken So Kaera's contract, artifact and creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast, and when an opponent casts an artifact or creature spell, counter that spell unless its controller pays 1.
"Kaera Company Purchases Nine Major Districts. Does So Kaera Own Your Home?" - Nyra Nyles, New Capenna Gazette
3/3

Gazahal District
Land- Swamp (R)
Gazahal District enters the battlefield tapped unless you pay .
(: Add .)
, Pay 1 life: Add or .
"Poison Smog from Alchemical Dumpage Transforms Gazahal Grandmother Into Vicious Ooze-- Currently at Large" - Nyra Nyles, New Capenna Gazette
more cards you don't have to judge
Show
Hide
Corrupt Enforcer 2W
Creature- Human Soldier (C)
Vigilance
Contract-- Don't attack with two or more creatures.
As long as you haven't broken Corrupt Enforcer's contract, when it deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for a Plains, reveal it, put it into your hand, and shuffle your library.
"I'm afraid this deed's no good. It's not stamped. You don't own anything unless the deed's stamped. Now I happen to have a stamp, but I'm really not supposed to use it..."
2/2

Nyra Nyles, Daring Reporter
Legendary Creature- Human Scout (R)
When an opponent casts a spell, investigate if that player has already cast a spell this turn.
When an opponent draws one or more cards, investigate if that player has already drawn a card this turn.
Sacrifice 3 clues: Draw a card. Then tap up to three target artifacts, creatures, and/or planeswalkers. They don't untap during their controllers' next untap steps and can't activate loyalty abilities while tapped in this way.
2/2

Neighborhood Watch
Creature- Human Citizen (C)
Contract-- Don't control any other creatures with power 3 or greater.
As long as you haven't broken Neighborhood Watch's contract, it gets +1/+1.
Until the enforcers arrive, you've got us.
1/2

Purchase the Soul
Instant (C)
As an additional cost to cast Purchase the Soul, sacrifice a creature.
Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Draw a card.
"We're always in the market to buy."

Audacious Bribe
Sorcery (C)
Gain control of target creature with mana value X or less until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
"Sorry madame enforcer. I was distracted by this heavy bag of silver."

Sensationalism
Enchantment (M)
You may pay an additional as you cast a spell. If you do, copy that spell twice. (A copy of a permanent spell becomes a token)
"Untold Devastation! Inept Technocrat Destroyed by Own Hubris as Apocalyptic Inventions Rampage the Streets!" -Nyra Nyles, New Capenna Gazette
IIW: Replace a card in a standard legal set with another card in the same slot. (Same or similar mana value, rarity, colors, card type, and role in draft)
This block of cards tells a story, I love it!
Godfather: 4 You're really not showing a lot of the mafia side of things, aside from the first card. I do like the contract mechanic, making someone an offer they can't refuse.
Scarface: 3 Not a lot of direct violence in here. Lots of threats, coercion, which is why you don't get lower.
Goodfellas: 5 Definitely a lot of crimes going on in this block of cards, topping off with serious libel on the part of Nyra Nyles. I resent the fact that the poor technocrat had any hubris.
Total: 12
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Cover Up 2BB
Instant (U)
Destroy target creature or planeswalker.
Cover Up costs 2 less to cast if an opponent controls a Clue.

IIW: Make a card for your IIW.
Godfather: 2 You want to protect the family name, but not a lot of class otherwise.
Scarface: 5 Murder, very violent. They obviously had to meet your little friend.
Goodfellas: 4 Murder is a crime, and you want to cover up crimes.
Total: 11 I don't really get the clue discount here, but it definitely makes it constructed playable.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Don Nixilis 2BB
Legendary Planeswalker - Nixilis {M}
Whenever an opponent draws their first card each turn, that player loses 1 life.
[+2]: Each player sacrifices a creature. Each player who sacrificed a creature this way draws a card.
[-2]: Target player sacrifices a creature. If they can't, you draw a card.
[-6]: You get an emblem with "Whenever an opponent draws their first card each turn, that player loses 1 life."
{3}

I gave up halfway through. may revisit.

IIW: Wild speculation about The Brothers' War
And you also missed my favorite Nixilis pun: Mob Nixilis.
Godfather: 5 Especially if he's in the key art suit, just dripping with class
Scarface: 5 You've got to keep up on your protection money.
Goodfellas: 4 It's just one guy committing the crimes, but he is efficient at them.
Total: 14 The scoring system does expose some issues with itself here, where a very uninteresting card, especially that ultimate that's just the same static ability as the walker again, so you're losing all ties here.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Sandrock Borough
Land - Swamp Mountain Forest
(: Add B, R, or G.)
Sandrock Borough enters the battlefield tapped.
Cycling 3
Sandrock was built on a sunscorched mountain range, broken apart by the occasional marsh in the lowlands and the sparse treeline of the highlands.

Sale of Contraband 3UU
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
2U: Tap target creature you don't control. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. Create a tapped Treasure token.

IIW: ally-color partners (regular partner, not partner with)
Godfather: 1 No class here
Scarface: 2 I guess contraband implies violence could happen
Goodfellas: 4 Contraband selling is definitely a crime, and I agree that we should get the other half of the tricycle lands in SNC, but it doesn't have the go over the top crime that other cards have.
Total: 7

HM: Anyone with a score over 10
Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon for his mafia family heads. I think it's more likely the families are Shards than wedges, but still excellent designs.
Next: Puns

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
I think it's more likely the families are Shards than wedges
I think the fact that the announcement said shards means that it is more likely, yes
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
I think it's more likely the families are Shards than wedges
I think the fact that the announcement said shards means that it is more likely, yes
I believe you, but can you provide a link? I didn't see that information on the wiki page, or the announcement article from WOTC

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

...And now I think I'm losing my mind. Did I imagine the announcement stream saying allied tricolor?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
...And now I think I'm losing my mind. Did I imagine the announcement stream saying allied tricolor?
I was right there with you, sure that they said somewhere that it's shard, but I looked, and I even looked up the announcement stream, and they didn't say shard, they just said 3 color.

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

I think people have just assumed shards because Ikoria was wedges, and Alara was ages ago. But considering those things, it seems like a pretty safe assumption.

Artifiction 2U
Enchantment (R)
Artifact cards are no longer artifact cards, but instead enchantment cards. Artifact subtypes are enchantment subtypes.
Cycling
When you cycle Artifiction, you may counter target artifact spell.
"You say 'these artifacts', but to me they look like LIES!"

Counter Counter
Artifact (R)
When a spell becomes countered, or a counter is put onto a permanent not named Counter Counter, put a count counter on Counter Counter.
Remove 3 count counters from Counter Counter: Counter target spell that would counter another spell. Count the counters on cards you control. If you count three or more counters, create a token copy of Counter Counter and put count counters on it equal to the number you counted.

(Art shows a factory in which assembly workers build kitchen counters. A complex machine counts them.)

IIW: Weird Commons
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
I think people have just assumed shards because Ikoria was wedges, and Alara was ages ago. But considering those things, it seems like a pretty safe assumption.
Hah! I had to check too before making those cards because I also felt they were Shards. The fact that they haven't revealed whether it's Shards or Wedges make feel like a mix; like Bant/Temur/Abzan/Jund/Naya.

My rationale for the above is that Grixis already has a lot of goodies thanks to Bolas and all his associated Eternals/Amonkhet stuff, plus the Wizards tribal Commander deck.

Mardu also has been doing very well thanks to two Innistrad sets, the Edgar Markov Commander deck, and boosted further by Lorehold and Silverquill.

Esper's also got a bit of a thing going on with the DnD set and all the Spirits/Rogues/Ninja and Vehicle stuff.

I think Bant, because they want to give wu more goodies, Jund because they might to push it in a different direction other than sacrifice, and Naya because the Sultai, Simic and Golgari are getting ridiculous.

Temur because it was the most poorly defined of the clans and I think they might want another shot at it, and Abzan because it's logical combination of Witherbloom and BW vampires, the ultimate trifecta of lifegain/drain (and a different direction other than +1/+1 counters/reanimation).
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Godfather: 5 These cards ooze class, high profile families. I love it. Chef's kiss.
Why thank you!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

While we're talking New Capenna rumors, the thought occurred to me that it's a natural fit for the trope because the New York mob at one point did literally have five families. Should I post slowpoke.jpg on this one or is it actually a novel realization

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Clean up the Streets WR
Enchantment - Cause (R)
(As this Cause enters and as you pay costs, add a progress counter. Transform after III)
I - Until the beginning of your next upkeep, creatures attack if able. Gain 2 life.
II (1W) - Creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
III (2R) - Clean up the Streets deals 4 damage to each creature and each player.

//

Capenna Untainted
Enchantment - Cause (R)
Permanents you control gain lifelink.
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, Capenna Untainted deals 2 damage to its controller.

False-flag Operative 1WB
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Champion a Cause (When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile a Cause you control. When this leaves the battlefield, that card returns to the battlefield.)
When False-flag Operative champions a Cause, each opponent loses life equal to that Cause's mana value and you gain that much life.
3/2

Is this even a pun? Who knows. I made an entire mechanic just for this one card. You tell me if it was worth it.

chetoos

Cock Tail 2W
Artifact - Equipment (Acorn stamp)
Equipped creature gets +0/+2 and has vigilance
If equipped creature would die in combat, or if a spell would resolve that would kill it, you may sacrifice Cock Tail. If you do, the equipped creature phases out.
Equip 1w
He chickened out, so he turned tail and ran.

Cracked Codebook 1uu
Art depicts a codebook split in half, halfway down the page.
Artifact - equipment (acorn stamp)
1u, discard a card: equipped creature can't be blocked this turn.
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may exchange its text box with the text box of target creature, artifact, or enchantment defending player controls.
Equip uu
"let's see, top of page 20 with bottom of page 57... still nonsense, unless it's another layer of code..."

Dead eye 2B
Artifact - Equipment (acorn stamp)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has first strike.
As long as Dead eye is attached to a creature, spells you cast and activated abilities from the equipped creature you activate cost X less, where X is the number of creatures the spell or ability will kill.
Equip 1B or pay 4 life.
A combination of clairvoyance and spectral sight, they see future dead people.

Hot Commodity 2R
Artifact - Equipment (Acorn Stamp)
Equipped creature has menace and gets +2/+0
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, create a treasure token.
As long as Hot Commodity is attached to a creature, if a source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, if that source has fire in its art, it deals that much damage plus 2.
Equip 2R
People will pay for the opportunity just to see it, and the opportunity to not touch it.

Bear Hands 1G
Equipped creature has trample, and gets +2/+2 if it has base power and toughness 2/2
Equipped creature gets +X/+X where X is the number of permanents you control and/or instant and sorcery cards in your graveyard with a bear in the art.
Equip 1G
At the scene of a grisly murder, the evidence was lade bare for all to see, in black and white.

IIW: Design a planeswalker card for one of the announced upcoming sets (Streets of New Capenna, brother's war, dominaria united, Baldur's gate commander legends, Unfinity, LOTR set.)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Few submissions over the weekend, which is usually on-par, plus I think we're all a little distracted by other things, specifically one big thing.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
Artifiction 2U
Enchantment (R)
Artifact cards are no longer artifact cards, but instead enchantment cards. Artifact subtypes are enchantment subtypes.
Cycling
When you cycle Artifiction, you may counter target artifact spell.
"You say 'these artifacts', but to me they look like LIES!"

Counter Counter
Artifact (R)
When a spell becomes countered, or a counter is put onto a permanent not named Counter Counter, put a count counter on Counter Counter.
Remove 3 count counters from Counter Counter: Counter target spell that would counter another spell. Count the counters on cards you control. If you count three or more counters, create a token copy of Counter Counter and put count counters on it equal to the number you counted.

(Art shows a factory in which assembly workers build kitchen counters. A complex machine counts them.)

IIW: Weird Commons
Artifiction is a bit of a stretch. Nice card though, clever to include a clause to clear up any subtypes nonsense.

Counter Counter is great pun-wise, and surprisingly not overly confusing.

Bonus points for prompt: Weird Commons. As in common Weirds.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Clean up the Streets WR
Enchantment - Cause (R)
(As this Cause enters and as you pay costs, add a progress counter. Transform after III)
I - Until the beginning of your next upkeep, creatures attack if able. Gain 2 life.
II (1W) - Creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
III (2R) - Clean up the Streets deals 4 damage to each creature and each player.

//

Capenna Untainted
Enchantment - Cause (R)
Permanents you control gain lifelink.
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, Capenna Untainted deals 2 damage to its controller.

False-flag Operative 1WB
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Champion a Cause (When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile a Cause you control. When this leaves the battlefield, that card returns to the battlefield.)
When False-flag Operative champions a Cause, each opponent loses life equal to that Cause's mana value and you gain that much life.
3/2

Is this even a pun? Who knows. I made an entire mechanic just for this one card. You tell me if it was worth it.

Interesting in-game pun! Interesting mechanic as well, I feel it's possible to have multiple Champion a Cause creature throughout the set.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Cock Tail 2W
Artifact - Equipment (Acorn stamp)
Equipped creature gets +0/+2 and has vigilance
If equipped creature would die in combat, or if a spell would resolve that would kill it, you may sacrifice Cock Tail. If you do, the equipped creature phases out.
Equip 1w
He chickened out, so he turned tail and ran.

Cracked Codebook 1uu
Art depicts a codebook split in half, halfway down the page.
Artifact - equipment (acorn stamp)
1u, discard a card: equipped creature can't be blocked this turn.
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may exchange its text box with the text box of target creature, artifact, or enchantment defending player controls.
Equip uu
"let's see, top of page 20 with bottom of page 57... still nonsense, unless it's another layer of code..."

Dead eye 2B
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has first strike.
As long as Dead eye is attached to a creature, spells you cast and activated abilities from the equipped creature you activate cost X less, where X is the number of creatures the spell or ability will kill.
Equip 1B or pay 4 life.
A combination of clairvoyance and spectral sight, they see future dead people.

Hot Commodity 2R
Artifact - Equipment (Acorn Stamp)
Equipped creature has menace and gets +2/+0
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, create a treasure token.
As long as Hot Commodity is attached to a creature, if a source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, if that source has fire in its art, it deals that much damage plus 2.
Equip 2R
People will pay for the opportunity just to see it, and the opportunity to not touch it.

Bear Hands 1G
Equipped creature has trample, and gets +2/+2 if it has base power and toughness 2/2
Equipped creature gets +X/+X where X is the number of permanents you control and/or instant and sorcery cards in your graveyard with a bear in the art.
Equip 1G
At the scene of a grisly murder, the evidence was lade bare for all to see, in black and white.

IIW: Design a planeswalker card for one of the announced upcoming sets (Streets of New Capenna, brother's war, dominaria united, Baldur's gate commander legends, Unfinity, LOTR set.)
Impressive haul!

Cock Tail: Mechanically, this clearly has to be Acorn-stamped. Interesting effect, but I'm not sure of the flavor/pun behind this. I'm assuming you're referring to a male chicken, or cockerel and "turning tail", but wouldn't "chickenheart" be better?

Cracked Codebook: Hah! Someone took the instructions a little too literally (double hah!). Seems very in-color for S.N.E.A.K., potentially very powerful, acts as enchantment too!

Dead Eye: I hope it's not a literal dead Eye. I'm sure you're trying to fit in some sniper flavor in here, but I don't think first strike cuts it, especially in black. However, very clever explaining the flavor of the ability with the flavor text and tying it in with the pun.

Hot Commodity: Simple straightforward, both mechanically and flavorfully.

Bear Hands: Ursine puns are an old reliable standby. Clever too to have Bear Hands support actual Bear-tribal, otherwise it would be very Polar-zing, and de-Feet the purpose of it. Some might call it Panda-ring, but I think a more Grizzly fate would be to be a forgettable card, rather than a Kodiak moment.

Now we've come down to it, it's very close between Mergatroid_Jones and chetoos. But Mergatroid_Jones did get assigned bonus points for the pun in the prompt.

So:

HM: chetoos

Winner: Mergatroid_Jones

Next: Weird Commons

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

In China Miéville's The Last Days of New Paris, the detonation of an S-bomb gave life to surreal art pieces, which now roam about the derelict city.

Harlequeen's Gardener 2G
Surreal Creature - Spider Art (C)
Reach
G﴿/4

Midstream Revolt
Surreal Creature - Art (C)
R﴿/﴾U﴿

SPOILER
Show
Hide
( ﴾G﴿ equals your green psyche counters. As a sorcery, or before this spell resolves, pay g equal to ﴾G﴿ +1 to get a green psyche counter.)

On the weird timing ("before this spells resolves"): If a creature has toughness g, you'd need the chance to increase it to 1 before the creature enters. Plus, there'd be Surreal instant and sorceries (caring about psyche counters too.) In order not to make them completely parasitic, you'd be able to increase your counters before they resolve.
IIW: sentience
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

chetoos

I was hoping that quantity of puns would help me win, but I guess no pun in ten did.

Knight of the soup cauldron 6w
Creature - human knight (acorn)
Affinity for keywords (this spell costs 1 less for each keyword listed below among creatures you control.)
At the beginning of combat, this creature gains flying until eot if you control a creature with flying. The same is true for (insert keyword soup here)
2/2

Iiw: Design a planeswalker card for one of the announced upcoming sets (Streets of New Capenna, brother's war, dominaria united, Baldur's gate commander legends, Unfinity, LOTR set.)
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

K'uthrikan Phasebearer 1U
Artifact Enchantment Creature (C)
1/4

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Endless Sands
Creature — Elemental Wall (C)
Defender (This creature can't attack.)
Endless Sands gets +0/+1 for each land you control.
0/–2

IIW: Germs

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Deadly Nightshade 4G
Artifact Creature - Food Plant (C)
Ward - 1 and have Deadly Nightshade's controller gain 1 life
2, T, Sacrifice Deadly Nightshade: You gain 3 life.
6/1

IIW: Wacky uncommons

Sporegorger_Dragon

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
but I guess no pun in ten did.
ughh
defeated

Pickled Tsuchinoko
bg
Artifact Creature - Food Zombie Snake (C)
When Pickled Tsuchinoko enters the battfield, mill two cards.
2, T, Sacrifice Pickled Tsuchinoko: You gain 3 life.
2/2

IIW: Creature with CMC mana value of 1.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Strength Stealer
Creature — Spirit (C)
Flash
When Strength Stealer enters the battlefield, move all +1/+1 counters from target creature an opponent controls onto Strength Stealer.
1/1

IIW: Everyone's favorite creature types.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Scouting Thopter 3W
Artifact Creature - Thopter (C)
Flying
When Scouting Thopter enters the battlefield, draw a card.
5WW, Exile Scouting Thopter from your graveyard: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. Activate only as a sorcery.
It gave as much information to the regiment in the air as it did as a smoking heap on the ground.
2/2

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Faulty Shield Guardian 3
Artifact Creature — Flagbearer Construct (C)
While an opponent is choosing targets as part of casting a spell they control or activating an ability they control, that player must choose at least one Flagbearer on the battlefield if able.
Spells that target Faulty Shield Guardian cost 2 less to cast.
Activated abilities that target Faulty Shield Guardian cost 2 less to activate.
2/3

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

Cards
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
In China Miéville's The Last Days of New Paris, the detonation of an S-bomb gave life to surreal art pieces, which now roam about the derelict city.

Harlequeen's Gardener 2G
Surreal Creature - Spider Art (C)
Reach
G﴿/4

Midstream Revolt
Surreal Creature - Art (C)
R﴿/﴾U﴿

SPOILER
Show
Hide
( ﴾G﴿ equals your green psyche counters. As a sorcery, or before this spell resolves, pay g equal to ﴾G﴿ +1 to get a green psyche counter.)

On the weird timing ("before this spells resolves"): If a creature has toughness g, you'd need the chance to increase it to 1 before the creature enters. Plus, there'd be Surreal instant and sorceries (caring about psyche counters too.) In order not to make them completely parasitic, you'd be able to increase your counters before they resolve.
IIW: sentience
Definitely odd for commons. I would rather have seen the reminder text on the cards, but it's not all that difficult to understand. The mechanic is fundamentally parasitic in that the colors are separated: I'm expected not only to play psyche counters, but to play RED psyche counters. In order to mitigate that, I'd like to see some effects that count all psyche counters as well as ones that care about color.

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
I was hoping that quantity of puns would help me win, but I guess no pun in ten did.

Knight of the soup cauldron 6w
Creature - human knight (acorn)
Affinity for keywords (this spell costs 1 less for each keyword listed below among creatures you control.)
At the beginning of combat, this creature gains flying until eot if you control a creature with flying. The same is true for (insert keyword soup here)
2/2

Iiw: Design a planeswalker card for one of the announced upcoming sets (Streets of New Capenna, brother's war, dominaria united, Baldur's gate commander legends, Unfinity, LOTR set.)
I think this is exactly the kind of card that would be given a non-acorn stamp nowadays. This does feel a bit uncommon, but you've got some stuff like Brine Giant for precedent. A 2/2 is pretty meager, but when it's cheap, it does happen to have a lot of abilities.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
K'uthrikan Phasebearer 1U
Artifact Enchantment Creature (C)
1/4

Simple, but unique. I like it. It feels like it would've been a good fit in Kamigawa. Obviously, it's great with things like delirium. But not too great... cause it's just a little 1/4.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Endless Sands
Creature — Elemental Wall (C)
Defender (This creature can't attack.)
Endless Sands gets +0/+1 for each land you control.
0/–2

IIW: Germs
Cute. And definitely a weird common. I like how it scales to get more and more relevant, but it's never all that relevant since it's just an 0/X. Defender matters and toughness matters strategies could make use of this. Although maybe it wouldn't even be worth it. You've gotta have six lands for it to be a Kraken Hatchling.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Deadly Nightshade 4G
Artifact Creature - Food Plant (C)
Ward - 1 and have Deadly Nightshade's controller gain 1 life
2, T, Sacrifice Deadly Nightshade: You gain 3 life.
6/1

IIW: Wacky uncommons
I see your Deadly Insect reference. Being food somewhat mitigates the 1 toughness, since you can sac this in response to stuff. It's a pretty safe common. It's not THAT weird considering Gingerbrute already paved the way, but the ward is a bit unusual.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
but I guess no pun in ten did.
ughh
defeated

Pickled Tsuchinoko
bg
Artifact Creature - Food Zombie Snake (C)
When Pickled Tsuchinoko enters the battfield, mill two cards.
2, T, Sacrifice Pickled Tsuchinoko: You gain 3 life.
2/2

IIW: Creature with CMC mana value of 1.
Another food creature. This one is a bit stranger in flavor. Pickled zombies.... zombie pops. Yeah, that's odd. But the card itself is pretty straightforward. My mind wants the two abilities to relate more, but as a common, I can see how this is going to serve multiple draft archetypes.
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Strength Stealer
Creature — Spirit (C)
Flash
When Strength Stealer enters the battlefield, move all +1/+1 counters from target creature an opponent controls onto Strength Stealer.
1/1

IIW: Everyone's favorite creature types.
I'm honestly surprised that a card to this effect doesn't exist (to my knowledge). This is pretty reliant on the opponent having +1/+1 counters, so I feel it's probably better served as an uncommon.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Scouting Thopter 3W
Artifact Creature - Thopter (C)
Flying
When Scouting Thopter enters the battlefield, draw a card.
5WW, Exile Scouting Thopter from your graveyard: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. Activate only as a sorcery.
It gave as much information to the regiment in the air as it did as a smoking heap on the ground.
2/2

Interesting flavor. The scouting drone is designed to be a beacon after it's shot down. This is a very powerful common as an evasive Striped Bears, but I don't think it's too good for a common since it costs a zillion mana to use the ability.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Faulty Shield Guardian 3
Artifact Creature — Flagbearer Construct (C)
While an opponent is choosing targets as part of casting a spell they control or activating an ability they control, that player must choose at least one Flagbearer on the battlefield if able.
Spells that target Faulty Shield Guardian cost 2 less to cast.
Activated abilities that target Faulty Shield Guardian cost 2 less to activate.
2/3

Flagbearers. Now there's an odd and interesting mechanic. This card is sweet.
Cogitation, winner, and next
Show
Hide
HMs for Faulty Shield Guardian and Endless Sands.
I'm giving it to K'uthrican Phasebearer for sheer simplicity.

Winner: Ninjacaterpie
Next: Make a card for your IIW

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Robo-Thalia, Shield Guardian of New Thraben 1W
Legendary Artifact Creature — Construct Soldier (R)
Artifact spells cost 1 less to cast.
Nonartifact spells cost 1 more to cast.
2/1

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Dreadful Visitation
Enchantment (R)
Shades, Specters, Spirits, and Wraiths you control get +2/+2 and have menace.

IIW: Tribal Batching (Named or unnamed)
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

chetoos

The White Knight of New Capenna 3WW
Legendary Planeswalker - Elspeth
+2 - Up to one target creature you control gains your choice of vigilance, first strike, or flying until end of turn.
-1 - The White Knight of New Capenna becomes a 5/5 human knight creature with first strike and indestructible until end of turn. You can activate this ability any time you could cast an instant, but only before attackers are declared.
-3 - Create a 1/1 white soldier creature token. When you do, you may exile up to one target creature with mana value less than or equal to the number of creatures you control.
-7 - You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have first strike." and "Whenever a creature you control dies, gain life equal to its power."

Jace, Distraught Messenger 2UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Jace
Whenever one or more loyalty counters are removed from Jace, scry that many cards.
+1 - Draw a card. Creatures you don't control get -1/-0 until your next turn.
+1 - Target creature gets -4/-0 until your next turn.
-8 - Reveal the top card of your library, then draw cards equal to that card's mana value.

Urza, Ascendant WUBRG
Legendary Planeswalker - Urza
Urza has all loyalty abilities of all non-urza planeswalkers on the battlefield. Those abilities cost an additional +1 to activate.
+1 - up to one Target non-creature artifact becomes an artifact creature with base power and toughness 0/0 until your next turn It gains "this creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control" and your choice of vigilance, flying, first strike, menace, or trample until your next turn.
-4 - Look at the top 4 cards of your library. From among those cards, choose a white, blue, black, red, and green card, and put those cards in your hand. Put the remaining cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.
-9 - Search your library for any number of non-urza planeswalker cards with different types and put them onto the battlefield under your control.

Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Goblin Triplibonker 1RR
Creature - Goblin Berserker {R}
Trample, haste
Triple the first damage I deal.
1/3

IIW: Unusual, unique, or novel templating.
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”