NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sagharri
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

chetoos - Returned Caracal >> I think that token could go without lifelink. If just there were a way more Zombie Cats.

Henlock - New Reign of Hazoret >> I like how both abilities works with Hazoret.

Mergatroid_Jones - God-Pharaoh Hapatra >> Just. One. Word. Usurper! Okay more serious - it's propably me, but I feel that this card is a bit overloaded with all these abilities.

avatarz - Shaminn, Spear of Naktamun >> Reincarnate seems interesting, but that shift from 'one for all' to 'all for one' is a bit weird.

NinjaCaterpie - Silence of the Sands >> What color got that Zombie?

spacemonaut - Mourner of the Glorified >> I think it need a finishing touch. Not sure if deathtouch is necessary as it's last ability not requires to tap it.

Cythare - Khopra Redeemed >> Is it intended that Apostle of Purifying Light disable Khopra's reviving?

Bonus?! That's additional work for me :mad:
Cythare - Khopra's Consecration >> With Beckon Apparition available this looks poor for 3 mana as uncommon.

mellifluoresce - Amonkhetamine >> Nice and simple. Just that name.

void_nothing - Djeru's Enrollment >> Solid card. I feel bad that I can't point at anything there.

Subject16 - Imaba the Hopeful >> Don't you think that there is still some place for more "Wow!" factor? Like even just improving to 5/5?

Cardz5000 - Hazoret, the God-Survivor >> I'm a bit disappointed with it. While I see what you did here, that's just plain indestructible with 4/4 that may be blocked by exiled card from any action (like no legal target for spell, not enough mana or similar).

Like always there were few cards that I think should win.

Winner: void_nothing
Next: Ancient Kaladesh

HM: Henlock & mellifluoresce
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
A couple of days have passed, commence moaning that there are no judgments yet
Calm down :halo:

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Oh hey, a win, thanks!

I'm going to try to get this done in 24 hours or less assuming I get entries fast enough.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sagharri

Just to add something - my judgement could be different if there were flavor texts in HM cards. That's important part of story.

I think I skip this Ancient Kaladesh ;) Don't know enough good set and its story.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
Cythare - Khopra Redeemed >> Is it intended that Apostle of Purifying Light disable Khopra's reviving?

Bonus?! That's additional work for me :mad:
Cythare - Khopra's Consecration >> With Beckon Apparition available this looks poor for 3 mana as uncommon
It's meant to be The Scarab God redeemed, so...yes? It wasn't designed specifically with Apostle of Purifying Light in mind, but it's meant to allow for some counterplay. I swapped out the having to recast it with a delayed return and a bonus creature.

Regarding the uncommon, I'd assume that Amonkhet would be a graveyard-heavy and a Zombie tribal block, so I'd expect that this card wouldn't be printed as a common.

Aether Hammer EE
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0, is an Aetherborn in addition to its other types, and has "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you get EE."
Equip E
"This hammer displays unusual properties. It makes the wielder stronger, but also...volatile."

EDIT: Since void_nothing will probably complain about the flavor otherwise, I know that Aetherborn started appearing as a byproduct of the aether refinement process on modern Kaladesh, but I figured this could be a nod to original Kaladesh, and it might make sense that wielding an unrefined aether-powered hammer would cause the creature to start exhibiting properties similar to what would eventually become the Aetherborn.

IIW: Demons
Last edited by Cythare 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 4 years ago

Primal Aetherspring 3
Artifact (R)
At the beginning of your end step, you may pay 1 life to get E. Then, create a 2/2 black Aetherborn creature token with "At the beginning of your upkeep, pay E or sacrifice this creature."
A strange new lifeform crawled into the world, driven by an impossible instinct to survive.

IIW: Make a new version of any legendary creature.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Æther Arcology 7
Artifact (R)
Whenever a historic permanent enters the battlefield under your control, you get E, then look at the top X cards of your library, where X is the amount of E you have. You may reveal a nonland card from among them and put it into your hand, then put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

IIW: vagabonds
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

Unrestrained Aether 3G
Enchantment {R}
At the beginning of your upkeep, you get EE.
At the beginning of each other player's upkeep, that player gets E.

IIW: Cards playable in Hobo Magic.
MEG

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Aetherrune Guardian
1G
Artifact Creature - Golem
Trample

Whenever you gain an E (energy counter), Aetherrune Guardian gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

IIW: ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Hobo Magic ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

Mergatroid_Jones

Apparently ancient Kaladesh was all about energy.

Post by avatarz » 4 years ago

Wooden Simulacrum 3
Artifact (R)
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Harness — ~ is a 3/3 Construct creature with vigilance as long as you control no tapped lands.
Rouda was dazzled. As soon as the stream of aether touched it, his very creation stood up wary, as an ancient and proud animal would do.

IIW: MtG from another dimension.
Last edited by avatarz 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Sandstone Mithuna 3
Artifact (U)
T: Add one mana of any color.
T: Transform and untap Sandstone Mithuna.
-----
Bejewelled Mithuna
(CI: Colorless) Artifact Creature — Golem
At the beginning of your end step, transform Bejewelled Mithuna unless it's enchanted or equipped.
3/3

IIW: Ancient Ravnica
formerly willows

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Ghirul War-Rider 3RG
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
Trample
When Ghirul War-Rider dies, create a 3/3 green Elephant creature token with trample and "This creature attacks each turn if able."
4/4

IIW: Gucci Magic (ie. not hobo)

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

The Rich Get Richer 2WU
Enchantment (R)
As long as you've gotten E this turn, creatures you control get +1/+1.
At the beginning of your end step, if you have EEEEEEEE (eight energy), draw a card.

IIW: Spendthrifts
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
chetoos - Returned Caracal >> I think that token could go without lifelink. If just there were a way more Zombie Cats.
The card is supposed to call back to regal caracal, so the lifelink was intentional.
Card for this round:
Aethermental
Creature - Elemental Aetherborn Rare
Whenever you activate the ability of an artifact, if the ability isn't a mana ability, you may pay 2 life. If you do, copy that ability. You may choose new targets for the copy.
At the beginning of your end step, if you lost 4 or more life this turn, draw a card.
Born from high concentrations of aether nodules, Aethermentals are willing to help... for a price.
4/6
Kaladesh didn't really harness Aether until the mending, since it was mentioned in the story that the aether boom happened 60 years ago, which is the listed time for the mending as well. Before that, they would have still had nodules of aether, but not really harness it to the extent that they did after the mending.
IIW: Upshift uncommon walkers from WotS to rare.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Will definitely judge this evening at this point. Probably in about 8 hours or so.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sagharri

chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
The card is supposed to call back to regal caracal, so the lifelink was intentional.
But giving lifelink to token that already got it is in my opinion a bit not elegant.

Mergatroid_Jones

chetoos wrote:
4 years ago

Kaladesh didn't really harness Aether until the mending, since it was mentioned in the story that the aether boom happened 60 years ago, which is the listed time for the mending as well. Before that, they would have still had nodules of aether, but not really harness it to the extent that they did after the mending.
I think it's pretty safe to assume most of us didn't know that. Well I guess my card still makes sense. I'm not going to change it now.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Poach the Skies 2g
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target creature with flying. You gain life equal to it's toughness.
Hunting the great skywhales is dangerous, but just one can feed a village for months, and the blubber produces a most fascinating flame.

IIW: Sagas

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
But giving lifelink to token that already got it is in my opinion a bit not elegant.
I don't disagree, I was just giving my reasoning for what I went with. Regal also gives lifelink to a token with lifelink, so I figured that was fine.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

The First Aetherborn 2B
Enchantment (U)
At the beginning of each end step, if you spent any amount of E this turn, put a flux counter on The First Aetherborn. Then if there are five or more flux counters on it, sacrifice it. If you do, create three 2/2 black Aetherborn creature tokens with menace.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Cythare - I am indeed going to complain about all the E symbols as, indeed, the Great Aether Boom was not ancient at all. This card gets a little too cute, with the use of the aforesaid symbols in a mana cost, additional creature type, and general "look this is on theme"-ness.

Mergatroid_Jones - This is fairly interesting and decisiony - lots of moving parts but doesn't get overwhelming - and also flavorful... for modern Kaladesh. Unrefined aether doesn't spawn Aetherborn. I'd probably use this for all the death triggers more than anything. :teach:

mellifluoresce - This is a lot of :words: and I will say I would prefer a seven-mana card do more than scrydraw. I guess in a dedicated energy deck this can immediately grab your wincon but... seven mana should be the cost of your wincon after your setup. What I'm saying is Aetherworks Marvel this is not. I do like the idea of advanced arcologies hidden somewhere on Kaladesh that can only be reactivated with aether.

Megiddo - I love nothing more than a bad rare sometimes. And indeed this is pretty bad, but also pretty damn flavorful and it has a goofy fun factor to it! I don't like the swinginess, however - in the energy mirror it could spell your doom. Still, kudos for getting the setting perfect with only the name.

Cardz5000 - What is an "Aetherrune" and why is it causing colored artifacts and why was it on ancient Kaladesh? I guess I'm meant to fill in the gaps here, and this is an okay Limited theme duder.

avatarz - Color me impressed because the flavor here is great, really gets across the ancient stuff, and the ability word looks like it would make for interesting play.

barbecube - Weirdly similar to the previous entry but I'm glad the flavor acknowledges that Kaladesh is based on, yknow, India and gives me an ancient Indian statue as an artifact creature. Transform doesn't really fit the plane imo and I somehow don't think Creative would direct an artist to draw a carving of people doin' it - you didn't see any yab-yum Djinni in the Jeskai, did you?

Ninja Caterpie - War elephantry and a mahout to direct it - the f l a v o r is excellent and this looks like a great Draft uncommon that feels like ancient India but isn't beating me over the head with the fact that it's an artifact or energy mechanical setting.

Cythare - Why did you spam enter after less than 24 hours, you reprobate? Um this is fine but it seems win-more and R&D specifically wanted to discourage gameplay where you just hoarded energy and didn't do anything with it so

chetoos - Nice, a large wacky black creature in the Thieving Amalgam/Nirkana Revenant tradition. Even with a life payment black copying abilities feels a little bit off and the flavor, yet again, doesn't quite work, but this seems explosive and fun.

Ink-Treader - A completely different flavor problem in that... it's hard for me to imagine how Kaladeshis were hunting skywhales without flying machines, and in turn how they had flying machines in poor villages before mass aether availability. People had ballistas and really really really good aim back then I guess? Perfectly fine common that fits an important draft role, but I can't help but feel it somehow exists already. EDIT: I was thinking of Aerial Predation and fair cop that's different

spacemonaut - This seems like it takes forever to get you, uh, three 2/2s. In a two-player game, assuming you're getting the triggered ability every turn, it's your third end step after you play the card at best. Which means theoretically you're not attacking with your new tokens until turn 7. Yeah, not a big fan.

It came down to two - avatarz and Ninja Caterpie. NinjCat's flavor was more universally resonant even if avatarz had better creative writing and a more innovative mechanic. So big well deserved HM to avatarz, winner is Ninja Caterpie.

Next: Gucci Magic (the opposite of Hobo Magic)

Mergatroid_Jones

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
indeed, the Great Aether Boom was not ancient at all.
I feel like we were expected to know this going in.... Thanks to Chetoos for pointing that out, but it's not obvious.

So Hobo Magic means you can't spend mana? And Gucci Magic then would be where... everything is really expensive? So I guess fitting cards would be things like Summer Bloom, Channel, or Void Winnower. Or maybe something like Phyrexian Dreadnought that isn't expensive but is lavish. Am I understanding that correctly?

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

why do bad iiws happen to good people?

gucci magic can be whatever you want it to be. if hobo means you can't spend mana, then maybe gucci means you have permanent Omniscience? or free real estate?

alternative IIW: a top-down design with a space fantasy theme

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Pain's Opulence UUB
Sorcery ($$$)
As an additional cost to cast Pain's Opulence, pay X, where X is your life total.
Draw seven cards.

IIW: Apocalypse Chime style cards
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Aetherwind Clipper
2UR
Artifact - Vehicle
Flying, haste

As long as it's not your turn, Aetherwind Clipper has hexproof.

Crew 2 (Tap any number of creatures you control with total power 2 or greater: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
4/2

Space Fantasy by way of Treasure Planet. This is intended to be a very fast ship, so you can't target it unless you can do so at instant speed.

IIW: ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Hobo Magic ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”