[Daily] [Exercise] Open request thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

I've run threads like this before with considerable success, and actually had a hard time keeping up with them at times. But, I honestly need to do more designing so here I am again.

Basically, this is a thread where I'll design new cards from scratch based on any requests you post. Just some ground rules for that, however - Keep the actual content of the requests to one short sentence per card (or group of cards/cycle). Please don't ask for more than five cards at a time (that can be five individual cards, one cycle, whatever). Please don't ask me to make cards based on any IP outside of Magic. And finally, please don't make a new request until I'm done with your most recent one.

Beyond that, however, feel free to ask for any kind of card you can think of and I'll do my best on these designs!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Curious what you'll do with this: "A cycle of monocolored cards with C in their mana costs"

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Curious what you'll do with this: "A cycle of monocolored cards with C in their mana costs"
Creature - Avatar (R)
Flash
When Avatar of Pitilessness enters the battlefield, exile target blocked creature.
Players can't cast spells with the same mana cost as the exiled card.
Justice, with all sense of the common good excised.
4/4

Creature - Avatar (R)
Flying
Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield, that creature's controller creates a token that's a copy of a creature on the battlefield chosen at random, then exiles the first creature.
Curiosity, with any cogent goals removed.
3/3

Creature - Avatar (R)
Deathtouch
If a player would draw one or more cards, instead they draw twice that many cards and lose 1 life for each card drawn this way.
Ambition, with all final aims forgotten.
3/3

Creature - Avatar (R)
First strike
Other creatures attack each combat if able.
Whenever another creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gains control of that creature.
Freedom, with anything giving it meaning cast aside.
4/4

Creature - Avatar (R)
Ward 2
Players play with the top cards of their libraries revealed and may play land cards and cast creature spells from the top of their library, but not from anywhere else.
Each player may play any number of lands per turn by paying X life for each land play beyond the first, where X is the number of lands they played this turn.
Growth, with any compassion for life extinguished.
4/4
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Creature - Avatar (R)
Flash
When Avatar of Pitilessness enters the battlefield, exile target blocked creature.
Players can't cast spells with the same mana cost as the exiled card.
Justice, with all sense of the common good excised.
4/4

Creature - Avatar (R)
Flying
Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield, that creature's controller creates a token that's a copy of a creature on the battlefield chosen at random, then exiles the first creature.
Curiosity, with any cogent goals removed.
3/3

Creature - Avatar (R)
Deathtouch
If a player would draw one or more cards, instead they draw twice that many cards and lose 1 life for each card drawn this way.
Ambition, with all final aims forgotten.
3/3

Creature - Avatar (R)
First strike
Other creatures attack each combat if able.
Whenever another creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gains control of that creature.
Freedom, with anything giving it meaning cast aside.
4/4

Creature - Avatar (R)
Ward 2
Players play with the top cards of their libraries revealed and may play land cards and cast creature spells from the top of their library, but not from anywhere else.
Each player may play any number of lands per turn by paying X life for each land play beyond the first, where X is the number of lands they played this turn.
Growth, with any compassion for life extinguished.
4/4
Ah, very nice. As you are probably aware, mixing C with colors has been my pet interest for some time now. I strongly believe that when C returns, it can and must be divorced from the Eldrazi, but I suspect it won't be.

W: I like the possibility that using this on your own creature might be the correct play.

U: This gets pretty silly with more than one of these out, which becomes quite probable since it's a valid choice for the copy effect. Unless the exile bit keeps multiples from going off.

B: Everything a draw pain deck would want in one creature. Well, other than the self harm bit. But there's plenty of other asymmetries available for that. I would say this feels the most normal of the cycle.

R: Seemingly chaotic, but pretty easy to plan around without going into the realm of stuff like Bronze Bombshell.

G: Seems quite fair. A deck built around it won't suffer much, but it could enable some nasty locking of an opponent potentially, which is interesting to see in green.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Thanks. I tried my best to not step on the toes of your C+colored mana designs.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Oooh, let me try! Bizarre uses of cleave on a creature.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Oooh, let me try! Bizarre uses of cleave on a creature.
In the future maybe let's not make it a trend to just request something you yourself have already designed. :P

I'll do a couple.

Swelling Goo 3GG
Creature - Ooze (U)
Cleave 6GG
Vigilance
When Swelling Goo enters the battlefield, put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is [half] the number of other creatures and lands you control[, rounded down].
1/1

Drogskol Warband 1WW
Creature - Spirit Soldier (U)
Cleave 4WW
Lifelink
If the cleave cost was paid, Drogskol Warband enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
1W[, T]: Put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature.
2/2

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
In the future maybe let's not make it a trend to just request something you yourself have already designed.
How else will I pretend that I know what I'm talking about? :rofl:

Interesting, I've never thought of cleaving other costs on the permanent.

Ok, how about "cross-tribal bridges for Ixalan Limited."

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Ok, how about "cross-tribal bridges for Ixalan Limited."
Venerated Sunguide 2W
Creature - Spirit (U)
Dinosaurs you control have lifelink.
Vampires you control have first strike.
2/3

River Hammerhead 4U
Creature - Shark (U)
Whenever you attack with one or more Merfolk, scry X, where X is the number of attacking Merfolk you control.
Whenever you attack with one or more Pirates, create that many Treasure tokens.
3/4

Shade Arms-Master B
Creature - Shade Soldier (U)
Pirates you control have deathtouch.
Vampires you control have "B: This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."
1/1

Shoreline Patrol 3R
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
Dinosaurs you control have trample.
Pirates you control have "T: This permanent deals 1 damage to any target."
4/2

Solar Jade 4G
Creature - Elemental (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target Dinosaur you control fights target creature you don't control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each Merfolk you control.
2/5

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ooooh, my own attempt was to make a cycle of Dinosaurs in all colors, but I can appreciate the subtle cleverness of making each one's creature type a non-supported type in the set, so that each tribe has equal incentive to draft one of these.

Pirates in particular have a strong incentive for pirating ( :cool: ) these from the other tribes.

EDIT: I also appreciate the flavor behind this cycle. With each of the factions at odds with the others, it can be very hard to provide the flavor-justification, but these unaffiliated/neutral guys do that nicely.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Hey, if personal appeal cards are rampant, why not. I'll request a monored legend with mana value 3 or less.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Megatheriums or Glyptodons
Fertilestep Megatherium 2GG
Creature - Sloth Beast (R)
Grapple (This creature can't be blocked by more than one creature.)
When Fertilestep Megatherium enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice a Forest.
Whenever a Forest is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a non-Forest land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
4/4

Stubborn Glyptodon 1GG
Creature - Armadillo Beast (R)
Ward 1
If a ward ability you control would be triggered, that ability triggers an additional time.
2/5

Ink-Treader

Design three cards with the same color identity that you would give a 1/3 in Appeal for the MCC. Each one should appeal to a different one of the player demographics.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Hey, if personal appeal cards are rampant, why not. I'll request a monored legend with mana value 3 or less.
Anghok, Old Thunder 1R
Legendary Creature - Orc Shaman (R)
Trample, protection from sorceries
1R: Until end of turn, Anghok gets +1/+0 and gains your choice of absorb 1, "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card, then discard a card," or "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token."
2/2

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

A grouphug or groupslug style card that focuses on enchantments. (Something like Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”