Varina, Lich Queen - Esper Zombie Midrange

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Eburon wrote:
2 years ago
I just wanted to be post #1,000 in the thread. :rofl:

I just love the core group we have here. Y'all have really helped me understand the deck much better and I have learned a lot!
Honestly, that's kind of mind boggling to me. You zombie fiends are a great bunch and I appreciate all of the input back and forth from all of you. Not sure if you guys are aware but this thread is the most active deck thread in the commander decklist subforum, beating out tstorms Zedruu build and darrenhabib's Kenrith twins. I never thought starting this primer would lead to so much input, and I'm really glad it has.

To my mind its a triumph of reason; Varina is beautifully designed, but for from pushed. We've all put a lot of effort into making a fair and decent design go as far as it can, and I'm proud of all of the input we've all had.

Yall are the best Endless Ranks a zombie lover could hope for.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Tags:

toctheyounger

And aside from inflating all of our egos, what do you guys think of Horde Extermination? White Blasphemous seems real good. We've already got Hour of Revelation, but personally I think this one might just edge it out for efficiency. I'm generally pretty happy to spot remove artifacts, enchantments and walkers, and in this deck of all decks I can't see ever paying more than ww for this.

plaganegra
Jeff

Post by plaganegra » 2 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
And aside from inflating all of our egos, what do you guys think of Horde Extermination? White Blasphemous seems real good. We've already got Hour of Revelation, but personally I think this one might just edge it out for efficiency. I'm generally pretty happy to spot remove artifacts, enchantments and walkers, and in this deck of all decks I can't see ever paying more than ww for this.
Congrats on the most active thread man! If I am good for anything in mtg it is bumping zombie threads rofl. I was so excited to find a place to talk zombies after mtgsalvation went extinct. I cannot thank you enough for being a great host.

My favorite board wipes for this deck are: Horde Extermination probably edges out winds of abandon for me on that list, but I could see it taking the place of damn as well. I run all of those except Austere Command and Cyclonic Rift (to reduce salt) currently, but I should probably be running command in my meta tbh. Tough call - we have access to all the best board wipes in these colors.

Cheap board wipes are so good in this deck because you can play one, drop a zombie or two, and then next turn cast Varina and get far ahead.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
Also: Yawgmoth, Tinybones, Blim, Krenko, Kaalia, Chatterfang, Kodama-East, Kozilek, Morophon, U-Braids, Ashcoat, Preston, Sauron.
MTG since 2003

toctheyounger

Yeah I mean wherever it fits in your removal suite I think there's a case for it. I like the flexibility of Damn but its very rare that there's one critter on board i want to ping. Ultimately though there's a case for a variety of stuff in our removal options, even for dropping some out to add counter options.

As far as the thread goes I think its something we've all contributed to. All the bickering, sniping, no no wait a minute....all the critique and analysis has gone deeper than any other thread I've ever hosted and thats not just my doing, thats a group effort.

plaganegra
Jeff

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
As far as the thread goes I think its something we've all contributed to. All the bickering, sniping, no no wait a minute....all the critique and analysis has gone deeper than any other thread I've ever hosted and thats not just my doing, thats a group effort.
I remember being scolded during one of my masters seminars by our classical professor. He yelled at the entire class for agreeing all the time, and expressed his extreme disappointment in how mundane and safe our comments were... "Nobody ever learns a damn thing by agreeing all the time!" He literally shouted. There is no good discussion without disagreement where ideas and assumptions are rigorously challenged. I learned a lot from that man that stuck with me...

Kudos to all the people here who routinely disagree with me. It is a lot of fun lol. I hope I am not annoying anyone too much XD
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
Also: Yawgmoth, Tinybones, Blim, Krenko, Kaalia, Chatterfang, Kodama-East, Kozilek, Morophon, U-Braids, Ashcoat, Preston, Sauron.
MTG since 2003

toctheyounger

Well let you know if you are. The beauty of a build that isn't 'solved' is that there's no immediate right and wrong, so I dobt think anyone's taking the debate too seriously.

plaganegra
Jeff

New removal option with flashback for a downside:

Rite of Oblivion
WB

Sorcery
As an additional cost, sacrifice a nonland permanent
Exile target nonland permanent
Flashback 2WB

If you value reuse-ability, flashback, and/or play with many tokens this might be an option/upgrade for your deck. I might consider it myself. If it was an instant it would obviously be better, but it is very versatile
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

Reya

Post by Reya » 2 years ago

Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you for making this thread so active! Varina is my first EDH deck and I choose it as my commander thanks to this forum, almost 2 years ago. Since that day, I often come here to seek thoughts and advices to tune the list and it's always very interesting.

I wanted to add a little bit to the discussion by talking about Putrid Imp.

From my experience with the deck, I think we realy want to lower the curve in general because we want to dig as much as possible, starting on turn 4 with Varina. Putrid Imp is really helpfull in many situations:

- it's a flying beater
- it can easely attack and survive equiped with sword of the animist
- it's a fantastic discrad outlet (more versatile than zombie infestation because you only discard one card and you can reanimate it in many ways)
- it's amazing with Bone Miser

I try it until I can maybe replace it by Champion of the Perished !

What do you think of this card ?

Eburon

Post by Eburon » 2 years ago

Putrid Imp is definitely a card with it's uses. It is a 1-drop zombie, and it can help fill the yard. That said, that is all Imp does. Sure it can carry a sword and get through, but it is at the cost of a card. I prefer to keep my hand full so I can efficiently rummage with Varina.

Zombie Infestation is a bit different for me. If you have excess cards, you can dump a bunch of them and create several zombies. I can discard 6 cards and get 3 2/2's. If we do that with Imp, it gains flying 6 times which is kinda useless.

That said, if it works for you, keep playing it. That is the beauty of EDH: every "stock" list still has some flex slots to insert your own flavor.
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Haven't we established that Endless Ranks gets outranked by Tombstone Stairwell??? :rofl:

Reya

Yeah I admit Putrid Imp is not fantastic but for me the main purpose was to lower the curve, while playing an utility card. Varina tends to have a quite high average mana value I think. We realy realy need 1 or 2 very solids one drop !

Eburon

Talking about lowering the mana curve. I know it has been discussed in the past, but wanted to see if anyone has tested, or has feedback on, Unsettled Mariner ?

Reya

I played it a few weeks, feels quite useless. Opponnent will often have 1 mana left to pay the tax . I prefer to play Tidehollow Sculler (trigger on stack, sacrifice if to perma remove the opponnent's trump card, like just before casting a mass reanimation spell)

plaganegra
Jeff

@Reya
I am with you on lowering the curve and possibly going wider. After this set releases I am going to overhaul my deck and try some new configurations! I have run putrid imp myself as well as carrion feeder. I am actually going to test out those two as well as the zombie cat, entrails feaster, in my new brew of the deck.

The zombie cat is probably on most people's unplayable list, and rightfully so. I think I do not care about attacking with it turn 1-2, and t3-4 where it matters with a varina in play it might be decent enough. Probably not though lol... if your meta is creature centered with a lot of mana dorks and such that get blown up it might actually be good. And it is limited free GY hate on a body.

@Eburon
I have had unsettled mariner in my deck for a while now, and never got to actually play with the card. Variance has not been my friend lately rofl.
However, Ii will be cutting it for some of the new zombies upon release. It is the first to get the axe for something new like tainted adversary or even the 2cmc lord.
Last edited by plaganegra 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

Kvothe
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kvothe » 2 years ago

plaganegra wrote:
2 years ago
@Reya
I am with you on lowering the curve and possibly going wider.
+1
I think it's really important to drop Varina and immediately farm triggers, so low drops are valuable in my opinion.
I'm considering a lot of the amass guys for that reason. They provide a lot of synergy, although not being too powerful on their own.

Eburon

I'm looking to make some changes too. Rhystic Study is currently on the possible cut list for me. It seems that in turn 3, I want to do something more impactful than dropping Study.

plaganegra
Jeff

Kvothe wrote:
2 years ago
plaganegra wrote:
2 years ago
@Reya
I am with you on lowering the curve and possibly going wider.
+1
I think it's really important to drop Varina and immediately farm triggers.
Hello, friend! haha. I have been trying to maximize her triggers as my main objective for the deck. Glad to have you here! Cant wait to hear more of your thoughts on how to do that. It is not easy with so many options.
Eburon wrote:
2 years ago
I'm looking to make some changes too. Rhystic Study is currently on the possible cut list for me. It seems that in turn 3, I want to do something more impactful than dropping Study.
I think there are more than enough tribal triggers and zombies that draw cards to facilitate this. Rhystic study does not attack or trigger the queen bee, after all... It is a goodstuff card that is not synergistic with Varina, so it depends on the direction you want to go tbh. goodstuff vs synergy is always a toss up on what you want out of the deck.
Last edited by plaganegra 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

Eburon

Which is why it is on the chopping block. Mystic Remora is a different story since I don't mind dropping it T1 and paying upkeep T2 since it will likely draw me cards.

@toctheyounger You are the only other person here that runs Rhystic Study. How has it been for you? I am thinking Epiphany at the Drownyard or Pull from Tomorrow might be better?

Reya

I think Entrails Feaster is a very bad and slow Withered Wretch. I considered it many times but as a one Drop you want Carrion Feeder, Crypt Breaker, Gravecrawler and possibly Champion of the Perished or Putrid Imp (There you have all the one drop you wants!) You want effectives things. Entrails feaster won't be able to benefit from Varina most of the time.

I saw that Archfiend of Ifnir and Bone Mise have been removed from the main list of the Primer. I can't imagine my list without them. Especialy Archfiend and his asymetrical wrath effect. I can understand why we do not play Bone Miser because it can be a little bit overkill sometimes... (and probably overdrawing with Archives and Teferi Insight) but casting it into a 4-5 zombies board and swing with Varina gives so much value.

Eburon

Personally, I am still on Bone Miser and Archfiend because of the synergy with Varina and the deck. With Bone Miser and Zombie Infestation, I have been able to draw my entire deck at times (especially if you have Teferi's Ageless Insight in play). I think those cards are incredibly powerful.

plaganegra
Jeff

Reya wrote:
2 years ago
I think Entrails Feaster is a very bad and slow Withered Wretch. I considered it many times but as a one Drop you want Carrion Feeder, Crypt Breaker, Gravecrawler and possibly Champion of the Perished or Putrid Imp (There you have all the one drop you wants!) You want effectives things. Entrails feaster won't be able to benefit from Varina most of the time.

I saw that Archfiend of Ifnir and Bone Miser have been removed from the main list of the Primer. I can't imagine my list without them. Especialy Archfiend and his asymetrical wrath effect. I can understand why we do not play Bone Miser because it can be a little bit overkill sometimes... (and probably overdrawing with Archives and Teferi Insight) but casting it into a 4-5 zombies board and swing with Varina gives so much value.
Yeah its a bad card for sure, but I am hoping it will surprise me.

In my current list I am tinkering with for the release I actually cut BOTH Teferi's Ageless Insight and Alhammarret's Archive and kept Bone Miser. I think bone miser is better to have, and the only extra draws I need are Varina triggers, outside of all of the other tribal draw stuff I am running.

These are the 1-drops I am considering: I am not sure the right number of 1-drops for a deck that wants to go wide with zombies, but I am thinking as many as are playable. I really dont know because it is unexplored territory I think. Right now I am toying with the idea of running around 40 creatures in the deck. Previously I was running 31-34 depending on the day.

The deck stalls out for me badly when I dont have zombies in play.
Last edited by plaganegra 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

Reya

Yeah I have the same feeling.

Archfiend has won me so many games! And Bone Miser give you a %$#% of value eveytime.

toctheyounger

Eburon wrote:
2 years ago
Putrid Imp is definitely a card with it's uses. It is a 1-drop zombie, and it can help fill the yard. That said, that is all Imp does. Sure it can carry a sword and get through, but it is at the cost of a card. I prefer to keep my hand full so I can efficiently rummage with Varina.

Zombie Infestation is a bit different for me. If you have excess cards, you can dump a bunch of them and create several zombies. I can discard 6 cards and get 3 2/2's. If we do that with Imp, it gains flying 6 times which is kinda useless.

That said, if it works for you, keep playing it. That is the beauty of EDH: every "stock" list still has some flex slots to insert your own flavor.
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Haven't we established that Endless Ranks gets outranked by Tombstone Stairwell??? :rofl:
I've been toying with adding the Imp back in myself of late. I've sort of found I've trimmed my actual tribal inclusions back a bit further than I'd like. And as far as Imp goes, it's the actual cheapest way to get things in your graveyard. Granted, the payoff is weak. But it's more the cost than the payoff you're here for. I want to wait for full spoilers before I make any sweeping changes, but I do want more critters in the fold. Fingers crossed for more juiciness.

And yeah, Stairwell > Ranks any damn day. You guys are the best tombspawn ever :D
Reya wrote:
2 years ago
Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you for making this thread so active! Varina is my first EDH deck and I choose it as my commander thanks to this forum, almost 2 years ago. Since that day, I often come here to seek thoughts and advices to tune the list and it's always very interesting.

I wanted to add a little bit to the discussion by talking about Putrid Imp.

From my experience with the deck, I think we realy want to lower the curve in general because we want to dig as much as possible, starting on turn 4 with Varina. Putrid Imp is really helpfull in many situations:

- it's a flying beater
- it can easely attack and survive equiped with sword of the animist
- it's a fantastic discrad outlet (more versatile than zombie infestation because you only discard one card and you can reanimate it in many ways)
- it's amazing with Bone Miser

I try it until I can maybe replace it by Champion of the Perished !

What do you think of this card ?
Welcome to the thread, I'm very pleased you've had some benefit from our ramblings, and you are most welcome to ramble yourself!

Honestly I'm still not sold on Champion of the Perished. Am I asking too much for a low CMC zombie with actual decent utility? Maybe, but maybe not. Like, the low cost suggestions are fine, but we're not in the blessed position of Edgar Markov of having eminence. We need low cost I think, but we also need to be able to get more than a swing out of the creatures we play. If it was just about stats I have a pretty foil Diregraf Ghoul that'd fit in that slot without having to consider new additions. I think Imp is a good possibility, I think Champion is defensible, but if there's better coming in either Midnight Hunt or Crimson Vow I'd still pop them in. Also I can't remember where but @Falkenbach mentioned that Stitcher's Supplier wasn't really fantastic, which saves me a few bucks tracking one down.

I have a couple of asides:

Firstly, got some gameplay in yesterday. Played, or attempted to play, 4 games. 3 of them ended abruptly with one person or other having to leave and the whole thing falling apart, the last ended up a 3-man pod with Scion of the Ur-Dragon and Morophon, the Boundless.

I had rough mulls all day, but ended up with a 2 land hand with Mystic Remora in it. I missed a couple of land drops and conveniently drew into Land Tax. Remora lasted a couple of turns before popping, and I hilariously topdecked Rhystic Study the turn the fish died. I got very little draw from it, but it taxed people the whole game. To be honest it was frustrating.

I managed to keep tempo up all game, but just didn't hit the dearth of critters I'd have liked, nor wipes to keep the board under control. I ultimately ended up getting stomped by Atarka, World Render and Scion in an alpha strike purely for not having answers or a win. Up until that point I was in control, I just couldn't close it down. End of the day the tech I had performed well, I just didn't have enough actual 'game' to close it out. This is part of why I want to up the creature count. That being said I realise this is likely anomalous, with terrible hands and such, it happens. Variance is part of the format.

Secondly, board wipes and control again. I want to talk Tragic Arrogance. The card has performed very, very well for me in Bruna, the Fading Light, and I think it'd be a good addition here too. We sweep the board and save an aristrocrat or Varina, and we've absolutely boned our opponents for their deck architecture. I like that we make all of the choices, it makes it almost never a dead draw.

I'm also rethinking counters with Memory Lapse and Delay. They're both reasonable ways to nix a win con or take something crucial out of reach for an opponent and just bump someone off their timing. I don't think we need MORE counters or wipes per se, but I do want to rethink my control suite in the coming weeks.

I've also tinkered with the idea of a couple of recent pseudo-ramp releases - Thaumatic Compass // Spires of Orazca, Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale, Lotus Field. Again, not sure these are locks, but they're possible good drops. Field helps us trigger Archaeomancer's Map and Land Tax as well as being great for things like Cosmic Intervention if anyone is looking at adding this, Dagger works with us swinging, and Compass fixes lands and protects our neck. Food for thought, I guess.

Ramble over :)

ChocoDude

Post by ChocoDude » 2 years ago

Any thoughts on Corpse Cobble? It doesn't really fit the initial 2-drop slot as most likely there aren't many creatures on your board, but it could be a cheap evasive replacement creature post combat if a few of your zombies die. Or, toss it in the yard early on and cast it later. Would be great with Tombstone, but not sure what else.

toctheyounger

Eburon wrote:
2 years ago
Which is why it is on the chopping block. Mystic Remora is a different story since I don't mind dropping it T1 and paying upkeep T2 since it will likely draw me cards.

@toctheyounger You are the only other person here that runs Rhystic Study. How has it been for you? I am thinking Epiphany at the Drownyard or Pull from Tomorrow might be better?
Study has been either very, very good for me with oodles of draw, or a slow grind of tax for your opponents. That's the fail case. And even at that point if you can capitalise on that tax with an early board state it is decent. I can definitely see not running it, but I've been pretty happy with it either way.
Reya wrote:
2 years ago

I saw that Archfiend of Ifnir and Bone Mise have been removed from the main list of the Primer. I can't imagine my list without them. Especialy Archfiend and his asymetrical wrath effect. I can understand why we do not play Bone Miser because it can be a little bit overkill sometimes... (and probably overdrawing with Archives and Teferi Insight) but casting it into a 4-5 zombies board and swing with Varina gives so much value.
Ultimately, with a lot less wheel strategy in the deck having lost Windfall and variants, I often found them dead. Both are amazing in the right place, I just found this to be less that place than more. I'm very much not against adding them back in, but that 5 slot is tough, there's lots of stuff that fits in there and works well. I think Ifnir trumps Miser, purely for Miser being a bit weird with timing and deciding what you discard, but either are totally deserving of a slot. Perhaps I need to take note of how often the discard would benefit me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”