Magic Mutate Rulings

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

I've read some things (elsewhere) that make it sounds like when a creature with mutate enters the battlefield via effects like Flash or Resurrection, you can meld it with another creature as though the mutate cost was paid. I doubt it, but want to double check before I take my new mutate deck out on the town.

Speaking of Flash, if creature is put onto the battlefield via an effect like Sneak Attack, and then a creature is mutated onto it, does it still have to be sacrificed?

If a creature is renowned or monstrous, and then a creature is mutated onto it, will it also be renowned/monstrous?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 years ago
You can only Mutate if you are casting the creature and casting it for its Mutate cost. Putting it onto the battlefield via any means other than casting it for its Mutate cost will not allow you to merge it with something.

For Sneak Attack: yes, you will need to sac it as the game still considers it the same object.

As for the Renowned/Monstrous situation: the object is still renowned or monstrous so Mutating on top, or under, it won't change that designation.

While I wouldn't expect this to change, a question came up on twitter regarding "was cast" with The Tarrasque and how we determine whether the object on the field was cast. It is a different enough situation that the concern over how we determine things like that may not extend to this, but just know the RM is considering a more general approach to designations over abilities that may or may not change this answer in the future:

Go to full post
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

You can only Mutate if you are casting the creature and casting it for its Mutate cost. Putting it onto the battlefield via any means other than casting it for its Mutate cost will not allow you to merge it with something.

For Sneak Attack: yes, you will need to sac it as the game still considers it the same object.

As for the Renowned/Monstrous situation: the object is still renowned or monstrous so Mutating on top, or under, it won't change that designation.

While I wouldn't expect this to change, a question came up on twitter regarding "was cast" with The Tarrasque and how we determine whether the object on the field was cast. It is a different enough situation that the concern over how we determine things like that may not extend to this, but just know the RM is considering a more general approach to designations over abilities that may or may not change this answer in the future:

Legend
Aethernaut

Thanks for the prompt answers. I have another if that's okay.

What happens when a creature is melded (via mutate) with another creature card that ceases being a creature (such as a Vehicle).

If a creature spell cast via mutate is copied, will the copy work just like it had also been cast via mutate?

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

WizardMN

1) The pile has the abilities of all the cards in the pile with one major exception: if part of the pile is a land with basic land type(s) and that land is not on top, it cannot tap for mana from those types. Otherwise, the entire pile is a creature if the top card is a creature and is not one if the top card isn't. So, until end of turn it is a creature and then when the animation effect wears off, you look at the top component to determine if it is still a creature. If not, you can use the animation effect, if it has one (such as the Crew ability on Vehicles) to turn it back into a creature. It will continue to have all the abilties.

2) Yes, the copy is a spell that is a Mutate spell and it will target the same target as the original (since nothing that copies permanent spells allows you to change the target for the copy).

Legend
Aethernaut

Excellent! Thanks!

1, What happens when a stack of melded/mutated creatures dies after being targeted by an effect like those seen on Fein Death or Cauldron of Souls? Will it come back as one melded object with a counter on it or will each component come back individually with its own counter on it or will just the one that was on top come back with a counter on it?

2. What if one of the creatures in the stack was a manifested sorcery card?

3. What if one of them was a token?

4. Also, if a stack of melded cards all have the same types, are they considered tokens if melded with a token creature? If so, do they get exiled upon dying like tokens do?

WizardMN

1) Once the pile changes zones, the cards are not associated with one another anymore. With things like Persist or Undying (or anything else that tries to return "the creature") they will all return individually and with an appropriate counter on each permanent.

2) That card will not return because it can't. Same as if that card was on its own.

3) That will also not return. Do note that certain things, like Nightmare Shepherd may not like tokens in the pile. That is, even if the token is on the bottom (making the permanent as a whole a nontoken allowing the Shepherd to trigger) you must exile every component for the "if you do" clause. Since you can't exile the token component, the entire clause fails.

4) Its tokenness is determined solely on the top component. However, once they change zones those individual components do whatever they would normally do. So the tokens cease to exist after going to the yard (they are not exiled) but the rest of the components stay where they are since they are not tokens.

Legend
Aethernaut

Thanks again!

What if Budoka Pupil // Ichiga, Who Topples Oaks has a card mutated atop and/or beneath it, and it flips? I can't imagine that the entire thing would flip. Does it flip on its own? Does it even flip at all?

What about a creature with transform?

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Thanks again!

What if Budoka Pupil // Ichiga, Who Topples Oaks has a card mutated atop and/or beneath it, and it flips? I can't imagine that the entire thing would flip. Does it flip on its own? Does it even flip at all?
A merged permanent can have a flipped/unflipped status, same as any other permanent. If it is currently in a flipped status, that component would be Ichiga, Who Topples Oaks.
110.5. A permanent's status is its physical state. There are four status categories, each of which has two possible values: tapped/untapped, flipped/unflipped, face up/face down, and phased in/phased out. Each permanent always has one of these values for each of these categories.

721.2h If a merged permanent contains a flip card (see rule 709), that component's alternative characteristics are used instead of its normal characteristics if the merged permanent is flipped.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
What about a creature with transform?
Transforming the merged permanent would apply to each of its components that can transform.
721.2i If a merged permanent contains one or more transforming double-faced cards (see rule 711), transforming that permanent causes each of those double-faced cards to turn so that its other face is up.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”