Phyrexian Infiltrator question

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Am I correct in that if I activate my Phyrexian Infiltrator, then bounce it while the ability on the stack causes me to steal one of my opponents creatures while allowing me to recast my Phyrexian Infiltrator and do it again? Or is the ability countered because the Phyrexian Infiltrator left the battlefield? The infiltrator never targets itself, so I think it will work, but I am not certain.

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Am I correct in that if I activate my Phyrexian Infiltrator, then bounce it while the ability on the stack causes me to steal one of my opponents creatures while allowing me to recast my Phyrexian Infiltrator and do it again? Or is the ability countered because the Phyrexian Infiltrator left the battlefield?
No, the effect just won't do anything.
701.10. Exchange
701.10a A spell or ability may instruct players to exchange something (for example, life totals or control of two permanents) as part of its resolution. When such a spell or ability resolves, if the entire exchange can't be completed, no part of the exchange occurs.
Example: If a spell attempts to exchange control of two target creatures but one of those creatures is destroyed before the spell resolves, the spell does nothing to the other creature.
701.10b When control of two permanents is exchanged, if those permanents are controlled by different players, each of those players simultaneously gains control of the permanent that was controlled by the other player. If, on the other hand, those permanents are controlled by the same player, the exchange effect does nothing.
Go to full post
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

I'm fairly certain that won't work. When the creature leaves the field from the bounce, it fizzles the exchange, causing nothing to happen. I think. I checked the comprehensive rules and they said: "When such a spell or ability resolves, if the entire exchange can't be completed, no part of the exchange occurs."
Last edited by Venedrex 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Am I correct in that if I activate my Phyrexian Infiltrator, then bounce it while the ability on the stack causes me to steal one of my opponents creatures while allowing me to recast my Phyrexian Infiltrator and do it again? Or is the ability countered because the Phyrexian Infiltrator left the battlefield?
701.10. Exchange
701.10a A spell or ability may instruct players to exchange something (for example, life totals or control of two permanents) as part of its resolution. When such a spell or ability resolves, if the entire exchange can't be completed, no part of the exchange occurs.
Example: If a spell attempts to exchange control of two target creatures but one of those creatures is destroyed before the spell resolves, the spell does nothing to the other creature.
701.10b When control of two permanents is exchanged, if those permanents are controlled by different players, each of those players simultaneously gains control of the permanent that was controlled by the other player. If, on the other hand, those permanents are controlled by the same player, the exchange effect does nothing.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Argus wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
701.10. Exchange
Yeah, that was what I suspected. Just means I have to wait until the resolve before doing the bounce. Thanks. :)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”