June MCC, Round 1 - The Quest Commences

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Banner based on Blex, Vexing Pest // Search for Blex by Ekaterina Burmak and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
June MCC, Round 1 - The Quest Commences

Welcome to the May MCC! It's Subtype Groups Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a creature card that is a Cleric, Rogue, Warrior, or Wizard.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is not a Human
Subchallenge 2: Your card is an uncommon

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, June 8th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Friday, June 11th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Subject16
StonerOfKruphix

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

Arcane Naturalist 1GU
Creature - Elf Wizard (U)
Prowess
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, distribute a number of +1/+1 counters among creatures you control equal to Arcane Naturalist's power.
"My druidic brother chants while I just use fertilizer. And then who complains when winter comes?"
0/3

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Kamsa's Paladin 3W
Creature — Kor Cleric (U)
When Kamsa's Paladin enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life for each creature in your party. (Your party consists of up to one each of Cleric, Rogue, Warrior, and Wizard.)
3WW, T: Create Kamsa, a legendary 5/5 white Angel creature token with flying and vigilance. Activate only if you control a full party.
"May our goddess Kamsa always breathe a good wind on you and your life."
2/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Phenax's Pawn 3BB
Enchantment - Nymph Cleric (Uncommon)
2B, T: Create an enchantment aura token named Minion's Return with "Enchant creature" and "When enchanted creature dies, return that card to the battlefield under your control.", then attach it to another target creature.
"Phenax shows us all the truth. May you forsake all the gods of lies."
3/3

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Elusive Filigree-Thief
Creature - Elemental Rogue (U)
Menace
Whenever Elusive Tome-Thief deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of each player's library. Until your next turn, you may cast artifact spells exiled this way using mana as though it was any color.
: Target creature or enchantment card in exile becomes an artifact until end of turn.
1/3

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Ruin Channeler 2R
Creature — Devil Wizard (U)
Protection from red
T: Add CC. Spend this mana only to cast an instant or sorcery spell with "damage" and/or "destroy" in its text.
"Beauty and power both lie within ashes and dust."
3/1
Last edited by Ink-Treader 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Merrow Channeler U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard {U}
Whenever Merrow Channeler deals combat damage to a player, put a flood counter on target nonbasic land that player controls.
Lands with flood counters on them are Islands.
1/1

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Death's Servant 2BB
Creature - Skeleton Cleric (U)
When Death's Servant enters the battlefield or dies, each player sacrifices a creature.
"My master will see you now."
3/3

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

charixtii's chosen -
creature - vampire cleric (u)
menace
when charixtii's chosen enters the battlefield, you may pay any amount of . create a 1/1 skeleton token for each spent this way.
"rise oh unhonored, oh bloodstained souls, oh thralls of charixtii! rise, and have vengeance upon oltraxi!"
1/3

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Taj-Nar Bandits 2WW
Creature - Cat Rogue (Uncommon)
Vigilance
Whenever Taj-Nar Bandits attacks, scry 1.
Whenever Taj-Nar Bandits deals combat damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's an Equipment card, put it onto the battlefield attached to Taj-Nar Bandits.
The abunas didn't approve when their people used underhanded methods to fight the levelers and then the Phyrexians. However, they understood that this dishonor was for the greater good.
2/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Cliffhaven Vanguard
Creature — Kor Warrior (U)
First strike, vigilance
: Cliffhaven Vanguard can block an additional creature this turn.
: Target creature an opponent controls attacks this turn if able.
"Who's next?"
3/4
Last edited by Venedrex 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 years ago

Slagmancer 1R
Creature - Goblin Wizard {U}
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or spell, they may pay 1. If they don't, create a 0/1 red Slag creature token.
Sacrifice two Slags: Slagmancer deals 3 damage to any target.
"Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot"
1/2

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Judge of Protocols uw
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (u)
Sacrifice Judge of Protocols: Counter target spell if it wasn't cast from a player's hand.
There is only one correct way to do things.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Going to extend the round another 24 hours to allow for more entries!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Mindlock Merrow
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (U)
Flash
Players can't search libraries.
"The mind of a dirtwalker is simple, linear. Give them a glimpse of the Dark Meanders, and they will be unable to find their way to a cohesive thought."
2/2

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Fire-Thrash Leader 1RR
Creature - Viashino Warrior {U}
R: Fire-Thrash Leader gains first strike and menace until end of turn.
1RR, Sacrifice Fire-Thrash Leader: Creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain first strike and menace until end of turn.
When Fire-Thrash Leader dies, put two +1/+1 counters on target Dragon or Viashino you control.
3/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

And the round is closed! Judging assignments are the following, and owing to the small number of contestants this month only the top three per judge will advance to round 2 from this round.

void_nothing:
Riria
netn10
Ink-Treader
dangerousdice
MonoRedMage

Subject16:
bravelion83
Jimmy Groove
RaikouRider
kwanyeegor-ii
vishamon

StonerOfKruphix:
slimytrout
Venedrex
Freyleyes
Henlock

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 2 years ago

Kudos to all contestants. All the entries were pretty good, and it was a tight round, with just 1.5 points separating last place from first.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Death's Servant 2BB
Creature - Skeleton Cleric (U)
When Death's Servant enters the battlefield or dies, each player sacrifices a creature.
"My master will see you now."
3/3
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Spike sees the appeal of casting this when they're behind for a Barter in Blood-esque effect. Jxnny likes the sacrifice synergies this could lead to. Txmmy is not that interested.
(3/3) Elegance - With just one line of text, this card is very elegant and succint.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely what I would expect from a high-power black uncommon. Not too backbreaking, but strong in some circumstances and in the right deck.
(3/3) Balance - From a constructed standpoint, I could see this getting abused in a reanimator-style deck by bringing this out when your opponent only got a couple creatures on board, but I don't see it breaking any format anytime soon. In limited, this would be a mid-high pick (definitely high if you're in a supported sacrifice archetype) that you wouldn't be sad to play.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - This is basically a combination of Fleshbag Marauder and Abyssal Gatekeeper.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The name and flavor text are okay, maybe just a tad generic.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No problems here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Check.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Double check.

Total: 22/25
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Cliffhaven Vanguard
Creature — Kor Warrior (U)
First strike, vigilance
: Cliffhaven Vanguard can block an additional creature this turn.
: Target creature an opponent controls attacks this turn if able.
"Who's next?"
3/4
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the way this manipulates combat, Spike likes the way this gives them the upper hand in boardstalls and Jxnny is already bringing out all them good equipments to suit this up.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The two abilities might be a little confusing for new players, but it's easily grokkable.

Development
(2/3) Viability - While both the keywords and the abilities fall squarely into Boros territory, I'm worried that the effects could be too backbreaking for an uncommon. I could easily see this as a 4/4 rare for the same cost.
(1/3) Balance - Sure, this won't probably see play in constructed apart from some fringe decks (something à la Winota, Joiner of Forces comes to mind), but any limited player will come to hate this card when it's on the other side of the board. This basically snipes any X/3 in the late game, and gives you a good body (with good keywords) to boot. Not gonna lie, this could easily be a first pick, and that's kind of a problem, especially when in the late game you can just sit back and little by little use this to singlehandedly break a boardstall.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While none of the individual parts of the card are something new, they synergize into a very nice package.
(3/3) Flavor - I do like my warriors to be cocky, and this hits the spot.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No problems here.

Total: 20.5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
3 years ago
Slagmancer 1R
Creature - Goblin Wizard {U}
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or spell, they may pay 1. If they don't, create a 0/1 red Slag creature token.
Sacrifice two Slags: Slagmancer deals 3 damage to any target.
"Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot"
1/2
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Spike likes a little bit of taxing, but the fact that they won't be sure to reap the rewards holds them back on this. Txmmy likes the idea of flinging slag, but the creature in itself is too small for its effect. Jxnny might like the synergies if there's some more cards that create slag tokens in the set, but on its own it's too linear.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Very elegant, if it weren't for the typo (see Quality).

Development
(3/3) Viability - We've seen red uncommons that generate tokens for you (the most famous arguably being Young Pyromancer), but leaving the token creation in the hands of the opponent is a nice touch. Definitely red and definitely uncommon.
(2.5/3) Balance - It's a little bit hard to evaluate this card in a vacuum for the simple reason that how good this would be depends entirely on the set it's printed in. For example, this would be very good (and a mid-high pick) in a spellslinging set like Strixhaven, but it would be mediocre in a more creature-oriented set like Ixalan. The way I see it, it falls a little on the weaker side, but it comes down early and generates value in two ways, either by taxing your opponents or allowing you to bolt something for free later, all at a measly 2 mana investment. I could see this getting brought in from the sideboard to punish some greedy decks like Storm or something like that.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - This card definitely didn't reinvent the wheel, but the way it works is extremely synergic and offers a little bit of novelty.
(3/3) Flavor - Love it!

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Clearly the word "sorcery" is missing in the first ability, and it's a pretty glaring mistake (-1).

Total: 21/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Judge of Protocols uw
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (u)
Sacrifice Judge of Protocols: Counter target spell if it wasn't cast from a player's hand.
There is only one correct way to do things.
2/2
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Maaaaaybe Jxnny and Spike might be interested, but the effect is way too niche to justify playing this in the main deck. Txmmy doesn't care.
(3/3) Elegance - Can't get more elegant than just a single line of text.

Development
(3/3) Viability - We've seen counters stapled onto creatures in white and blue (like in Judge's Familiar, for example), so the effect fits. Body and cost are good for its rarity.
(2/3) Balance - The way I see it, this card was literally printed to be put in a sideboard (which is most likely what would happen in constructed). Of course, this wouldn't be the case if we're talking about sets like Kaldheim (because of Foretell) or Theros (and the Escape mechanic). In a set like those, this is just a slightly harder to cast Bear with a lot of upside. In many other sets that don't use similar mechanics, this would be a complete dud.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This reminds me of cards à la Drannith Magistrate or Nix, which is to say extremely fringe cards aimed at hampering an aspect of the opponent's strategy. Still, the text is pretty novel.
(3/3) Flavor - Very nicely done. Just what I'd expect from an Azorius card.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - The symbols in the mana cost should be WU (-1).

Results
Show
Hide
slimytrout 22
Henlock 21
Freyleyes 21
Venedrex 20.5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump for judging.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Judgments done! Some great submissions this first round!
bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Kamsa's Paladin 3W
Creature — Kor Cleric (U)
When Kamsa's Paladin enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life for each creature in your party. (Your party consists of up to one each of Cleric, Rogue, Warrior, and Wizard.)
3WW, T: Create Kamsa, a legendary 5/5 white Angel creature token with flying and vigilance. Activate only if you control a full party.
"May our goddess Kamsa always breathe a good wind on you and your life."
2/3
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy likes making a way to make a big angel, but would rather just have the angel. Spike sees this as a limited buildaround. Is a game ender in limited but would be too difficult to achieve in constructed. Spikes loves party as a mechanic.
(3/3) Elegance – Reads just fine.

Development
(3/3) Viability – White likes big payoffs for specific clauses like Speaker of the Heavens. Whilst the later is a rare, this design is more expensive and can only generate one angel token, so I think this is fine at uncommon.
(3/3) Balance – Being able to have a slightly buffed Serra Angel as a reward for a full party doesn't push the party mechanic to any stronger power level. Casual formats will enjoy being able to play around with this card.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – This pulls a couple elements from a couple of different cards together, including the legendary tokens. Working with the party mechanic is fun too.
(1.5/3) Flavor – Kamsa's name appears four times on this card altogether, it probably doesn't need to be on the flavor text. I do feel that summoning an angel to your aid feels more classic cleric than a paladin too, but the name is still appropriate. I do have to say that I believe Kamsa is another name for Emeria and that the goddess was a warped Emrakul, which does still fit in the Angel ascetic, but Kamsa herself as a card seems a little off.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – I don't see any errors here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – It's a creature and a Cleric.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's not a human, and it's uncommon.

Total: 22.5/25
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
3 years ago
Elusive Filigree-Thief
Creature - Elemental Rogue (U)
Menace
Whenever Elusive Tome-Thief deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of each player's library. Until your next turn, you may cast artifact spells exiled this way using mana as though it was any color.
: Target creature or enchantment card in exile becomes an artifact until end of turn.
1/3
Design
(2/3) Appeal – A cheap evasive body for Spike that offers card advantage. Johnny enjoys playing cards from alternative zones, and opponent's cards more so. Timmy isn't super hyped about this.
(2/3) Elegance – A few wording errors, but the mechanics of the cards are easy to understand. It isn't 100% obvious whether "exiled this way" gives you access to cards you exiled in previous turns or not if you chose not to cast them.

Development
(1/3) Viability – This brings a few elements from both colors into it. Menace being red, changing card types for blue, and sabotage/artifact matters as a mix of the two. However, this card's complexity to me is far beyond what's acceptable at uncommon, this is at least a rare. Lastly, changing the type of a card in a zone anywhere other than the battlefield has never been done before and would set a dangerous precedent that I believe bends the rules in a way that it isn't intended.
(3/3) Balance – A two mana 1/3 with menace is a very reasonable body, and the conditional card advantage doesn't push its value generation too far. The last ability's four mana cost activation definitely puts a big limit on how much you can use it.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – Impulse draw sabotage is pretty new, but of course the real uniqueness comes from the changing card types in exile.
(1.5/3) Flavor – The use of "filigree" (often used with etherium) and the artifacts matters theme to me tell me this card is on Alara at first glance, but that's a plane without elemental-kin, and this card isn't an artifact creature either. For such a new ability, I feel that there's nothing about the card that refers to its ability to turn things into artifacts.

Polish
(1/3) Quality – The card's name on in the text doesn't match. "using mana" isn't the proper wording, it should be "you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell". All cards that turn things into artifact also do it "in addition to its other types", and I think that this is something that should be present here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – This is a creature, and it's a Rogue.
(1/2) Subchallenges – It's not a human, and I don't believe this should be an uncommon.

Total: 16.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Merrow Channeler U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard {U}
Whenever Merrow Channeler deals combat damage to a player, put a flood counter on target nonbasic land that player controls.
Lands with flood counters on them are Islands.
1/1
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Johnny likes funky counters, and messing with lands could be exciting for him. Spike likes a potentially disruptive one drop. Timmy doesn't care about this.
(2.5/3) Elegance – Reads just fine, but there's room on this card for flavor text, or reminder text to specify the Islands lose its other abilities.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Definitely a blue card, and turning lands into islands is something blue has done every now and then at various rarities, and the repeatability of this at one mana is definitely too much for common, so this is definitely a pushed uncommon.
(2/3) Balance – At one mana, I strongly believe this is a card that can punish people that rely on nonbasics and don't play blue. It has to potential to lock some players out of the game altogether, and at one mana that's definitely a little oppressive and something a metagame will shape itself around. The good thing here is that if the channeler leaves the field you get your lands back (unless you have a second one down too, more on that in the flavor section). It's not warping any formats, but it will definitely cause a splash in fast formats like modern.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – A creature that Spreading Seas on a hit is pretty new, and the use of flood counters is a cool mechanical callback. This feels fresh to me whilst still using a lot of older ideas, perhaps because Island-ing lands hasn't been used in a while.
(2.5/3) Flavor – The name fits perfectly, my only gripe with this card is that the other two cards that put flood counters on lands i.e. Quicksilver Fountain and Aquitect's Will (the latter of which refers to merrows) have the lands be perma-islands, and so the inconsistency there would be a problem for some people. I do feel like there could have been a line of flavor text here too.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – I don't see any issues here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – It's a creature, and this is a Wizard.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's a nonhuman, and it's an uncommon.

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Taj-Nar Bandits 2WW
Creature - Cat Rogue (Uncommon)
Vigilance
Whenever Taj-Nar Bandits attacks, scry 1.
Whenever Taj-Nar Bandits deals combat damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's an Equipment card, put it onto the battlefield attached to Taj-Nar Bandits.
The abunas didn't approve when their people used underhanded methods to fight the levelers and then the Phyrexians. However, they understood that this dishonor was for the greater good.
2/3
(2.5/3) Appeal – This is probably too small for Spike, Timmy isn't in love with its stats but likes the idea of dumping massive equipment down. Johnny loves this.
(2.5/3) Elegance – This reads fine, but at a first glance it looks like too many lines of text.

Development
(3/3) Viability – The abilities all fit in white's color wheel. Slapping an equipment onto the battlefield for could be too strong for uncommon, but I think it's going to take a lot of other cogs to break this.
(3/3) Balance – I think this card by itself is too slow to break any limited or constructed environments, mainly because the equipment itself comes down after damage is dealt, which feels a bit bad in all honesty. It has nice synergies with stuff like double strike or extra scrying, but on its own it's fine.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – Scry on attack is new to white, but has been done a bunch before, and the stoneforge-lite effect hasn't been done in this way before.
(2/3) Flavor – At this point in the lore, Taj-Nar is definitely phyrexian territory, but the name seems acceptable (bandits may not be the most 'white' flavor of rogue however). The flavor text could definitely be shortened.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – The wording all seems fine to me.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – This is a creature, and it's a Rogue.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's uncommon, and not a Human.

vishamon
Show
Hide
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Mindlock Merrow
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (U)
Flash
Players can't search libraries.
"The mind of a dirtwalker is simple, linear. Give them a glimpse of the Dark Meanders, and they will be unable to find their way to a cohesive thought."
2/2
Design
(1/3) Appeal – Spike loves denying value from their opponent, especially at instant speed. Johnny isn't really a fan of cards that limit his capabilities. This isn't really big enough for Timmy.
(3/3) Elegance – Reads fine, looks appropriately sized.

Development
(2/3) Viability – Interacting with library searches has been in blue and black colors, but not at uncommon levels. Aven Mindcensor has been uncommon before, so I'm not against this existing at uncommon.
(3/3) Balance – A three mana flashy 2/2 is probably not going to see all too much play in constructed formats like modern or standard, but it's solid for limited formats and for Commander. Its creature types are also relevant for decks.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness – It's Mindlock Orb on a creature. Very similar to the aforementioned Aven Mindcensor. This doesn't really do anything new.
(3/3) Flavor – The name calls back to Mindlock Orb and feels very shadowmoor-merfolk. The flavor syncs very well for me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – Nothing I can see.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – It's a creature, and it's a Wizard.
(2/2) Subchallenges – I'll allow it as an uncommon, and it's a non-Human.

Total: 20/25
Results
Show
Hide
bravelion83: 22.5/25
Jimmy Groove: 16.5/25
RaikouRider: 22/25
kwanyeegor-ii: 22/25
vishamon: 20/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny are all over this. Spike, too, as long as they have Jxnny tendencies - otherwise they might find it not reliable enough.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Distributing the counters adds a decent amount to how complicated this card is, but otherwise, this just has two relatively simple triggered abilities that happen to work together.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Colors are definitely correct. As for rarity - the puzzle-ish nature of the card, plus the sheer number of +1/+1 counters it can put out, plus the fact that it's a "distribute" which adds to the complexity, pushes heavily towards rare rather than uncommon, even if it also feels kind of like a Limited signpost.
(2/3) Balance - A bit on the fence about this one. If this said "other creatures" rather than allowing itself to fuel itself it would be just fine. As it is however it potentially snowballs too fast for its cost.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Built out of a lot of older parts, sure, but this feels like it works in a new way, particularly with using prowess primarily to increase power for an ability rather than combat.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Flavor text seems like it belongs to a mana generator/land tutor rather than something that grows creatures.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes repeatedly saving their own creatures/stealing opponents' creatures. Jxnny has a ton to play with here. It's a bit slow for Spike.
(2/3) Elegance - While Aura tokens are relatively complicated and involve some tracking, Minion's Return is a simple and well-known Aura.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Color and rarity look right. You could argue for it being rare but I like this card as an uncommon quite a bit.
(3/3) Balance - Repeatably getting this particular Aura out for no cost but mana and a tap is powerful, but this card is ultimately quite slow, and not being able to put the tokens on itself helps as it's therefore vulnerable.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - We've seen Aura tokens before, but only on Estrid, the Masked. This card's pretty similar to the Cloudseeder cycle in some ways.
(3/3) Flavor - I dig this.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - I have to give you a big hit for forgetting "creature" in the typeline, plus there are some capitalization and punctuation issues (and a missing color!) in the activated ability: "Create a black Aura enchantment token named Minion's Return with…"
(1.5/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done, but I have to dock you a point here for the messed-up typeline.

Total: 19.5/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy wants to accel out some huge spells. Jxnny sees this as quite linear, yet at the same time a unique and fun card. Spike likes the wide-ranging utility.
(2.5/3) Elegance - While verbose, it's a very easy card to understand.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Red ideally tends to get rituals rather than mana dorks but this is I suppose in the range of Chandra's Embercat. Uncommon is perfect.
(3/3) Balance - Nil to complain about: Two mana generated is a good deal but it's only for a smallish subset of cards. You get what you pay for.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Ultimately this is a mana dork, although calling out specific words in the rules text is very new: I definitely preferred the version that had R as the activation cost to produce CC from a uniqueness standpoint.
(3/3) Flavor - Perfectly done - totally justifies everything about the card.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Appears fine.

dangerousdice
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy wants to make a bunch of tokens. Jxnny might consider blinking this to have basically "B: 1/1 token" all the time but probably has better versions of the same. Spike does not think it's mana-efficient enough.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Owing to relatively recent rules changes this would have been fine with X in the cost - see Gadwick, the Wizened.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Black uncommon is just about where I'd put this.
(3/3) Balance - Nothing to complain about - this leans underpowered if anything but it's probably a just fine meh Limited card.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - A French vanilla that produces a lot of vanilla tokens.
(3/3) Flavor - Presents some really interesting worldbuilding.

Polish
(0/3) Quality - The whole thing is lowercase. Honestly there are so many capitalizations that are needed that I can't even list them all. That plus the legitimate wording omissions (the tokens don't have a color or type!) means I unfortunately have to dock all the points in this category.

Total: 18/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Basically half a point from everyone: It has Txmmy-ish abilities but not on a big scale, does a lot but nothing particularly interestingly for Jxnny, and is efficient but not QUITE efficient enough for Spike, particularly with a tribal restriction on the death trigger.
(1.5/3) Elegance - The abilities are each simple enough on their own, but all together on an uncommon it comes off as somewhat busy.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Can't really fault the rarity - color-wise, this sorta feels like it should have black in it.
(3/3) Balance - Looks solid to me - Decent enough on its own and a minor tribal payoff as well.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - These are all new variations on existing abilities but each of their effects is pretty boilerplate. It all boils down to "evergreen keywords and pump."
(1.5/3) Flavor - The Viashino-Dragon connection is a bit stronger in Shiv than on Jund, but the thrash reference makes this at least come off as an Alaran card. Also, not sure why a leader has to die in order to inspire their troops...

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 18.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader 22
Riria 21
netn10 19.5

MonoRedMage 18.5
dangerousdice 18

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”