[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
I think if it said "permanent" instead of "creature," this would see much more casual play. I'd love it for BG enchantments.
Then it wouldn't be Golgari. While green can recur anything, it goes to tbe hand, top of the library, or "exile but with rules text allowing return to hand, casting from exile, etc."

Random kinda hurts it, not as much as usual, but it does. If jt were five mana, I'd be less harsh, but at seven, we have Sheoldred, Whispering One. Sure, no accompanying mill, but is that really necessary?
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Bingo. Yep, has to move into white to get that effect.

I'd still try out an Abzan version of this, but I think the cmc still might be too much to cut it.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago

I'd still try out an Abzan version of this, but I think the cmc still might be too much to cut it.
~ 1WBG
Enchantment <Mythic>

When ~ enters the battlefield, mill yourself five cards.

At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a card in your graveyard at random. If it's a creature return it to the battlefield, if not then return it to your hand.

That's really all they'd have to do, tbh.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Serenade wrote:
3 years ago

~ 1WBG
Enchantment <Mythic>

At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a card in your graveyard at random. If it's a creature return it to the battlefield, if not then return it to your hand.

That card, I would definitely run.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

3drinks

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Serenade wrote:
3 years ago

~ 1WBG
Enchantment <Mythic>

That card, I would definitely run.
Same. And it's not specifically broken either, requiring a full turn cycle to proc it.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Thursday, April 1st, 2021; Nymris, Oona's Trickster

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

This is like wearing a sign that says "I'M PLAYING CONTROL". Not very subtle.

That being said, the payoff is pretty good and the body is a great blocker. I've been tempted to essentially rebuild this as an update to the draw-go Wydwen decks of yesteryear, but I'm not sure if the loss of the self-bounce and the one power statline cripples the voltron aspect of that deck.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Nymris makes me want to build a flash-tribal/control/reanimator deck. Problem is, lots of aspects of what I would do with her already overlap with some decks I currently have and/or have played in the past. I am pretty sure I will probably break down one or more of my existing Dimir decks (Oona wizard/rogue tribal, Bad Sygg rogues) at some point and make a Nymris deck, but it hasn't been among my priorities so far.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

I played them in Kess, Dissident Mage and it wasnt all that great. Admitelly didnt play a lot of games too

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
I want to make a flash/instant tribal deck out of this, especially with stuff like Slitherwisp or Cunning Nightbonder, but every time I really think about it, it seems like crap.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Nymris, Oona's Trickster seems.... fine? If you want to play flash tribal, seems like a solid upgrade to Wydwen, the Biting Gale. Not a ton to say otherwise - Nymris is a pretty straightforward 'do mechanic, draw cards' payoff.

hyalopterouslemur

This is like wearing a shirt that says lul nupe. And you get reanimator.

3drinks

Friday, April 2nd, 2021; Fool's Demise

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

A great throwback to Masques's False Demise! Black has gotten this effect lately (Minion's Return, Kaya's Ghostform). These are great in Rayne, Academy Chancellor for defense. That's not a high-powered deck anyway. I never found a way to maximize the "steal a creature" aspect of the blue ones, though.

EDIT: Did not know False Demise was a reprint itself!

hyalopterouslemur

Usually removal works. In general tho, I think this type of effect should be black.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

5 mana is too much, though this is versatile and reusable. If you want to steal a creature though, Control Magic is better.
If you want to resurrect your own dude, Gift of Immortality is the best.

So... very niche.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 3 years ago

It used to pull quite a bit of work in Bruna, Light of Alabaster but it was quite a few years ago.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

Perfect card for April 2nd, but that's about it. It's probably the best card with this effect thanks to recurring itself.

onering

Post by onering » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
I want to make a flash/instant tribal deck out of this, especially with stuff like Slitherwisp or Cunning Nightbonder, but every time I really think about it, it seems like crap.
I built flash tribal using New Chromium as the commander. Adding white adds a lot, and you just play draw go with some nice payoffs, and Chromium is an evasive 3 hit clock thats hard to kill. It's pretty fun, and pretty solid

3drinks

Saturday, April 3rd, 2021; Mystic Decree

Well that's r/OddlySpecific. 🤔

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

When you sit down against Wrexial/Alela/pick an Elder Dragon and drop this to hinder them and knock out a Koskun Falls...that will be a day.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Saturday, April 3rd, 2021; Mystic Decree
When I first started playing, I used this with Island Sanctuary. Anti-flying can have its uses though; I bet this is an absolute house with Luminous Broodmoth.

It's also worth noting that removing flying from all creatures is somewhat uncommon: Gravity Sphere, Whiteout, Thundercloud Elemental, and this card (a donated Archetype of Imagination notwithstanding).

onering

Post by onering » 3 years ago

As others have pointed it, this combos with a few cards to just completely stop creatures from attacking you. It also has some marginal uses in just shutting down flying and islandwalk generally, and removing flying in itself has some fringe uses (like making Earthquake into Roiling Earthquake). As such its one of the few Homelands cards that has legitimate uses in EDH.

The Homelands cards that (IMO) have legitimate uses in EDH, in alphabetical order after today's card:

Mystic Decree, for reasons listed.

Aether Storm, a legitimate anti creature lock with Pithing Needle

Anaba Ancestor, isn't good, but Minotaur tribal is slim pickings so it makes the cut there

Anaba Spirit Crafter is better but still only makes the cut for lack of better options

An-Zerrin Ruins is passable tribal hate that can shut down certain commanders.

Chain Stasis combos with Bloom Tender or any creature that can tap to somehow produce 4+ mana including at least one U.

Didgeridoo [/card] minotaurs again.

Koskun Falls black pillow fort

Memory Lapse it really sucks to get hit with this.

Merchant Scroll Serviceable tutor

Reveka, Wizard Savant [/card] Combos with a lot, also a few cards just turn her into a machine gun. Plenty of ways to make her do at least 2 per turn, and then enough to make her do a lot per turn to make her worth it. Yes, I'm talking as a commander. Part of it is just how broken Blue is generally, but she also brings enough to the table to build around. Seeing someone rage quit because your commander from Homelands isn't allowing Golos stick is priceless. So is throwing 20 at someone's face in one turn from her.

Sengir Autocrat Even today, provides enough fodder for sac decks in one card to earn its place in the format.

Spectral Bears. Mama Bear loves Ghost Bear

Wall of Kelp: Arcades The Strategist likes it, because its a cheap wall that poops out cheap walls for card draw and other walls/defender matters shenanigans.

as well as a few that can be forced for flavor/fun:

Baron Sengir doesn't have a legit use, but is still ok enough to run for flavor.

Black Carriage is a highly telegraphed combo with cards like Presence of Gond and anything that cares about making creatures or creatures dying. Its not a legit EDH card, but if you want to run a combo that will have the table clapping this is a surefire bet.

Eron the Relentless. Beat people down with Dollar Store David Bowie. He's a 3 hit clock with swords, and he regenerates in mono red! Whenever you regenerate him, quote his flavor text! If you enchant him, say dance magic dance! Run only goblins otherwise!

Narwhal SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN, CAUSING A COMMOTION, BECAUSE IT IS SO AWESOME. Survives Blasphemous Act

Soraya the Falconer makes a fun bird deck. Banding is underrated.

hyalopterouslemur

Hey, Primal Order exists. Doing 8 or more damage every turn because yall put too many nonbasics in your decks is something.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”