brewing Niv Reborn with Dream Halls

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I've always wanted to jam Dream Halls into a relatively powerful commander deck and I think I've found a promising commander to work with. got any ideas on how a deck like this'd look?

1) spend a few turns getting land, cantripping, disenchanting other people's accelerants (Artifact Mutation; Hull Breach)
2) find Dream Halls
3) cast Niv-Mizzet Reborn from the Command zone through Dream Halls, put many multicoloured cards into your hand
3b) cast Time Wipe through Dream Halls, cast Niv again
4) throw the two-colour cards you just drew through Dream Halls and get huge value or multiple planeswalkers in play and hopefully win from there!

So, what tutors would you use to find Dream Halls? Or would you expand the strategy beyond looking for that single card? Looking at my own collection, there's Sterling Grove which suits the two-colour Niv idea, plus Wild Research and Enlightened Tutor and I think those things are a good start. I know Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor and Idyllic Tutor exist and wish I had any of them =P

Commit // Memory and Yawgmoth's Will are two insane Partners with Dream Halls cards that I think would have to be included, but I want most of the cards in the deck to be bicoloured.

What'd be your pay-off cards to cast through Dream Halls? creatures would be underwhelming, right?

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I have my own Niv-Mizzet Reborn decks, I have a thread on MTGSalvation still. => https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... sts/807713

The Dream Halls idea is a great one. The trick will be to get multiple Niv triggers with both exile and copy effects.

Copy effects;
Saheeli Rai, Protean Raider, Dack's Duplicate, Hostage Taker, Evil Twin, Repudiate // Replicate, Altered Ego, Progenitor Mimic.

Unfortunately the exile effects are not instantaneous as a lot of them trigger the draw "at end of turn", so you won't be able to chain off casting spells the same with Dream Halls.
Turn to Mist, Soulherder. Vanish into Memory, Oath of Teferi, Venser, the Sojourner. Kaya, Ghost Assassin.
Legion's Initiative can be used straight away however and Brago, King Eternal can be an ongoing effect. Mistmeadow Witch requires investing mana, but with Dream Halls tying up no mana once down, this might be fine.

As far as "win conditions" honestly it's not going to really matter once you have drawn 40 cards in a single turn.

Now I have the same thing with having mono-colored enchantments with Astral Slide and Astral Drift as key cards, and the simple answer is that there is not a lot in color-paired cards that can help you get them.
Besides Sterling Grove everything else has to be more convoluted proxy searches. Meaning that you could use Eladamri's Call to then get Dimir Infiltrator to then get Demonic Tutor. Yeah you can see I've investigated this sort of thing with my deck :P

These are bi-colored creature tutors;
Bring to Light, Captain Sisay, Congregation at Dawn, Eladamri's Call, Jarad's Orders, Neoform, Prime Speaker Vannifar, Signal the Clans.
You can could get Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Academy Rector, Razaketh, the Foulblooded, Rune-Scarred Demon.

Firemind's Foresight and Invert // Invent could get tutors to then get Dream Halls,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”