Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL February Signups/Round 1

"Gamble"

Fiery Gambit, taken from echomtg.com, by Scott M. Fischer and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Risk Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will be taking chances and doing things at random.

Challenge
Design a card that can cause a player to flip a coin.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, February 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (February 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (February 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due February 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (February 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due February 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (February 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 2nd)
  • Final (March, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Wishing Well
Artifact (R)
, : Choose a noncreature card you own from outside the game, reveal it, and put into your hand. Then flip a coin. If you lose the flip, sacrifice Wishing Well.
Last edited by Venedrex 3 years ago, edited 10 times in total.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Acrobatic Tumble -- UR
Instant {C}
Choose a creature and flip a coin. On heads, untap that creature and it gains flying until end of turn. On tails, tap that creature and it gains hexproof until end of turn.
Draw a card.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

frogchild
izzet mage
Pronoun: she / her

Post by frogchild » 3 years ago

Gambling Goblin
Creature - Goblin
When Gambling Goblin enters the battlefield, flip X coins. Add for each flip you won.
: Until end of turn, if you would flip a coin, flip two coins instead
He always goes all in
1/2
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker 2UR
Legendary Planeswalker - Ral (M)
0: Flip a coin until you lose a flip. Put X loyalty counters on Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker and scry X, where X is the number of flips.
-3: Reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker deals damage to any target equal to that card's converted mana cost.
-7: You get an emblem with "Instant and sorcery spells you control have: 'Draw a card'"

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

All In 2R
Sorcery (Rare)
Each player may discard their hand. Each player that does flips two coins. each player that won at least one flip draws seven cards.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Merchant of Brains BB
Creature--Human Warlock (Rare)
T, Discard a card and pay 1 life: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, draw two cards
T, Sacrifice another creature and pay 2 life: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, create a 4/4 black Zombie Horror creature token with lifelink and menace
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Reserve of Luck R
Enchantment {U}
1R: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, put a chance counter on Reserve of Luck. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Remove a chance counter from Reserve of Luck: The next time you flip a coin this turn, you win that coin flip.

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Doubloon Hydra 2GG
Creature - Hydra (U)
Trample
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield, flip three coins.
Whenever a player flips a coin, if the result is heads, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to extend by 24 hours due to the low number of entries - get them in everyone!

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Unstable Elemental 1r
Creature - Elemental (u)
First strike,
0: Flip three coins. Unstable Elemental gets +1/-1 for each coin that comes up tails. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn)
1/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed! Please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top if necessary:

Venedrex
OneAndOnly
frogchild
slimytrout
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
MonoRedMage
Daylit
Henlock

Since there are only nine contestants, this means you should critique everyone except the person right above you. In addition, I'll be cutting to a top 6 after the first two rounds as a result.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Evaluations
Show
Hide
frogchild wrote:
3 years ago
Gambling Goblin
Creature - Goblin
When Gambling Goblin enters the battlefield, flip X coins. Add for each flip you won.
He always goes all in
1/2
Hnnh. The mana ability is weird, because on average you're only getting half the mana that you put into it. That makes it good for mana fixing, maybe.

Even in conjunction with the second ability -- which, I'll be honest, will throw many players, who might not understand that you activate it before it's enters-play ability resolves -- you end up spending 5 mana to get an on-average one-to-one mana converter.

It's a novel base for a mana generator, though, that could be tweaked a couple different ways -- a set number of coin flips (no X) so that you always generate some random amount of mana, maybe? Or a second/third ability that gives you something to spend the influx of R on? Hmmm.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
0: Flip a coin until you lose a flip. Put X loyalty counters on Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker and scry X, where X is the number of flips.
-3: Reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker deals damage to any target equal to that card's converted mana cost.
-7: You get an emblem with "Instant and sorcery spells you control have: 'Draw a card'"
The first loyalty ability is kind of cool, especially given that even if you lose at the very first flip, you haven't put anything at risk. It's open-ended in that you could potentially scry your entirely library (shades of Mana Clash!) I do feel the ability should end with "number of flips you won," though.

The second ability seems very steeply costed. Three loyalty puts friend Ral at serious risk (especially with no + ability), and given that damage also causes loss of loyalty, seems likely to one-shot him. The potential to cost 7 or more loyalty is disproportionate to drawing just one card (especially one that's revealed). This could be a 0 or -1 ability.

The ultimate is pretty cool, though! It's a good reward.

netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
All In 2R
Sorcery (Rare)
Each player may discard their hand. Each player that does flips two coins. each player that won at least one flip draws seven cards.
Whew, this is situational. If a player has anywhere near a full grip, it's a no-go. If they're hellbent, there's no risk. On only one or two cards ... whew, 1-in-4 chance? I suppose a lot depends on exactly what those cards might be. Bluffing with a land suddenly becomes much better.

Of course, if you're casting it, you're also out the mana if you don't flip right.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Merchant of Brains BB
T, Discard a card and pay 1 life: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, draw two cards
T, Sacrifice another creature and pay 2 life: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, create a 4/4 black Zombie Horror creature token with lifelink and menace
1/1
I'd love some flavor text on this card; and maybe make it Rakdos to play up the chaos of it. And maybe have a higher mana cost and better stats? I like the gamble expressed in both abilities, and black is in a position to profit even off of a loss. The lifelink is easy to overlook!
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Reserve of Luck R
Enchantment {U}
1R: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, put a chance counter on Reserve of Luck. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Remove a chance counter from Reserve of Luck: The next time you flip a coin this turn, you win that coin flip.
I'd probably make it so the first ability adds a counter when you lose a coin flip, which makes the second ability a bit of a payoff! (Though that does change the flavor a tad.)

Outright winning coin flips just seems is a little Un. There are quite a few cards that get lots better when you know ahead of time that you'll win. Also, on some cards (the aforementioned Mana Ckash, lthers), there is no "win," just heads or tails.

Also, I'd love to have the enchantment do something on its own.
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Doubloon Hydra 2GG
Creature - Hydra (U)
Trample
Whenever a player flips a coin, if the result is heads, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.
2/2
I like it! Needs a bit of flavor text, and, I gotta say, I really wanted "doubloon" to be a pun (by doubl-oon-ing the number of counters?)

Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Unstable Elemental 1r
Creature - Elemental (u)
First strike,
0: Flip three coins. Unstable Elemental gets +1/-1 for each coin that comes up tails. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn)
1/3
I wish there were a better way to do the +1/-1 effect (putting counters on it?). Also feels a little bad if I cast it, use its ability, and it dies before even dealing damage. I feel safer with this just being a 1/3 with first strike!
Top Three
Show
Hide
Daylit's Doubloon Hydra
kwanyeegor-ii's Merchant of Brains
slimytrout's Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Evaluations
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Doubloon Hydra 2GG
Creature - Hydra (U)
Trample
2/2
I like this card a lot. The name and creature type seem to work well together for me, and the effect appears quite balanced in terms of what you get for four mana, worst case scenario a wimpy 2/2 with trample, best case scenario a great 5/5 with trample. Originally I was going to criticise the symmetrical static, but after thinking about it, Managorger Hydra exists, so I think it's fine.

Therefore, my only concern with this card is the disappointment someone might feel after getting a 2/2 for four mana, but that's kinda just how coin flip cards work. Maybe making the creature slightly bigger and then reducing the coins flipped could negate some of potential feelsbad from this, but again, the static means it starting as a 2/2 or a 3/3 might be a good thing since it grows.

Overall, excellent job, appeals to timmy and depending on how many good coin flip cards were in standard, possibly spike as well.

MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Reserve of Luck R
Enchantment {U}
This card is tough for me to evaluate. It seems somewhat balanced, but the real power and fun of this card hinges on other cards. The name works well, and the flavor is pretty good to me. My biggest criticism with this enchantment is similar to OneandOnly's in terms of its inability to function without coin flip cards, and its potential to supercharge those same coin flip cards and cause them to be far more powerful than they were intended to be.

As for who it appeals to, I would lean towards Johnny/Jenny, but maybe spike likes this as well? The strongest part about this card to me is the fun idea and sense of "I make my own luck" that feels exciting. This card feels to me like it could be a rare, as it is complex, and bumping its rarity could allow you to give it an effect that lets it function on it's own such as "Whenever you win a flip, exile the top card of your library, until end of turn you may play that card."

Of course that would require the cost and flavor to change, but I think something like that might be a cool way to make the card more exciting by itself.

Overall, for me, this card is a unique premise, but I'm not sure if it ends up fulfilling it.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Merchant of Brains BB
1/1
Rarity seems on point, costing feels good to me, name is good. Flavor is pretty solid too, even without text I can see what your going for. What I don't like about this card might be something of a weird thing to say about it. I think it's too balanced. The cost of paying 1 life, discarding a card, and tapping one of your creatures is quite significant. So to me, while coin flip cards are high in variance, this one's worst case scenario is tough.

The second effect seems fairly ok to me because the resulting creature is worth the fifty-fifty chance most of the time, but I still think it might result in some unfun moments for players.

For this reason, I would prefer if the card was worded in such a way that at least one of the costs came after success. i.e: ", Pay 1 life, then flip a coin. If you win the flip, draw two cards, then discard a card. I think spikes would be drawn to this card the most, but Johnny/Jenny might like the intricacies as well.

Overall, good flavor and balance, but a possible feeling of unfun gameplay hurts the card for me.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
All In 2R
Sorcery (Rare)
OK, we have a card after my own heart here. Short and sweet effect, flavorful as heck, and showing some subtle tricks to balance the effect. I like the uniqueness of the card, the may is not only flavorful, but fun and exciting as well, as it gives the player choice to you know what. Rarity is appropriate, mana cost seems good. The idea of increasing the odds of a successful draw seven by having player's flip two coins instead of one goes a long way to improving this card in my opinion, as it makes it more balanced and more tempting.

The downsides to this card lie in how players love to break things. As a wheel effect, it might have to be put into a non premier set, due to high power, but that's not a big issue to me. However, OneandOnly was correct in mentioning just how much variance this card has. Sometimes you draw it with no cards in your hand and it's a slam dunk, other times you have a full grip and it's gonna be several turns before you'd want to hazard casting it.

Overall, I can't help but like this card for its resonance and simplicity, even if it has some balance/variance issues.

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Mana cost seems fine, flavor works really well, name is good, rarity checks out. Onto the loyalty abilities. The 0 is fun, and I like the fact that you came up with a fun way of adding loyalty that's different from the usual +1 or +2. Biggest problem I see is the corner cases of having a twelve loyalty walker that forces you to scry 12, which would not be fun for you or your opponent.

Of course, that's highly unlikely, but I always like to talk about the furthest extreme of a card.
Maybe it could be worded as, "Flip a coin until you lose a flip or have flipped six coins", just to be on the safe side? I know that's taking some of the fun and excitement away, but it's the Azorius in me I guess.

I have pretty much no issues with the -3, it's a little swingy, but not a big deal, and it could go to a -2 if it's too weak.

The ultimate feels good to me, I like the straightforward nature of it as a counterbalance to the high variance of the rest of the card.
Starting loyalty feels good as well.

Overall, great card, solid design, appeals to timmy/tammy.
frogchild wrote:
3 years ago
Gambling Goblin
Creature - Goblin
He always goes all in
1/2
This guy has a lot going on. He's got X in his cost, he flips a whole lot of coins, and he can be activated to flip even more coins, and when he does flip coins, he makes a whole ton of mana. I like the name and flavor, and I think this guy could be fun for timmy/tammy in some ways. However, there are some big issues with this card for me. Paying mana into the X, and not being able to at least break even every time without activating the doubling effect seems rough.

In my head, I'm comparing this guy to cards like Gadwick, the Wizened and Hydroid Krasis. Which are of course blue and blue green. But they are both creatures with X in their cost, and they always give you a net positive for the mana you put into them. I understand that this is "Gambling Goblin" so you want a lot of risk. I just think that risk is definitely not worth the reward without the activated ability being used.

When you do use the activated ability, I think this card feels much better, but the fact that the ability is almost mandatory to make this guy worth it effectively makes him cost . Even after using the effect, you still could come up with less mana than you paid, making me doubt the fun of playing this card. Perhaps making the effect, add for each coin flip you won could make the goblin more exciting and powerful.

Overall, the concept has merit, and effect is unique, but to me, the low power level and high variance hamper the fun and usefulness of the card.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Acrobatic Tumble -- UR
Instant {C}
Choose a creature and flip a coin. On heads, untap that creature and it gains flying until end of turn. On tails, tap that creature and it gains hexproof until end of turn.
Draw a card.
The name is certainly evocative, and it describes what the card does quite well. I do have a couple issues with the mechanics and possible play pattern of the card. As a blue red card, I would have liked to see one of the effects granted feel more red, such as giving a creature haste, in order to justify why it's a red card. I suspect the red part of the card was meant to be the coin flipping, but I think that coin flipping alone doesn't make the card feel red, as all colors have access to coin flipping, and the flying and hexproof could probably only come from blue.

The other aspect of this card that doesn't sit well with me is the unknown nature of what effect your creature receives.
The flavor is great, and I understand the card has to have a good chunk of variance because its a coin flip card. However, I think players will find themselves not wanting to play this card because they don't like the idea of holding this up to protect their creature, only to have the creature gain flying, or vice versa, using it to push through the last bit of damage only to give their creature hexproof instead of evasion.

Maybe making one or both effects guaranteed, and bumping the rarity up could allow the card to be a little more reliable while still having some chance. Such as: "Target creature you control gets your choice of hexproof or haste until end of turn. Then flip a coin. If you win the flip, untap that creature." or "that creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn." Of course these versions fall into one of the things I just criticised, by skewing the card more towards blue or red, but I think that a change like that could make the card more tempting to play for a player.

Overall, a cool idea that fits well with coin flipping, but has some potential problems that make me leery about player's reactions. I'm also unsure of what type of player would be interested in this card, as it doesn't fit into most conventional boxes to me.
Top 3
SPOILER
Show
Hide
1. Daylit: Doubloon Hydra
2. slimeytrout: Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker
3. netn10: All in
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

1 - Daylit
2 - OneAndOnly
3 - Venedrex

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Reserve of Luck R
Enchantment {U}
This seems narrow but it definitely fits the coin flip theme and i like the flavor
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Doubloon Hydra 2GG
Creature - Hydra (U)
Trample
2/2
Wow this is perfect, it even feels 100% green which is interesting. great job
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Unstable Elemental 1r
Creature - Elemental (u)
First strike,
1/3
Definitely wish the base toughness was higher. If the best result you can get with this card is a 3/1 first strike then its not worth possibly dying lol
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Wishing Well
Artifact (R)
, : Choose a noncreature card you own from outside the game, reveal it, and put into your hand. Then flip a coin. If you lose the flip, sacrifice Wishing Well.
Another one with perfect flavor. I also like the mechanics. Ring of Three Wishes feeling
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Acrobatic Tumble -- UR
Instant {C}
Draw a card.
I like cards that use coin flip to decide two positive effects, and also nice flavor
frogchild wrote:
3 years ago
Gambling Goblin
Creature - Goblin
He always goes all in
1/2
Another one that is kinda narrow imo. Also not sure what the ability does sometimes lol. For example can you both win and lose a flip with this??
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Nice use of different kinds of risks imo
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 daylit
2 slimytrout
3 oneandonly
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Please get your critiques in before midnight Eastern tonight.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Stressful week and still have to get to MCC judgements, so T3 only unless I find time to come back to it later:

1. Daylit
2. OneAndOnly
3. kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

1. venedrex
2. kwanyegor
3. slimytrout

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Evaluations
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Wishing Well
Artifact (R)
I quite like this card, very flavorful, the image of a well granting wishes as coins are thrown into it is a classic and is evoked in a mechanically correct way here. Feels perhaps a bit underpowered compared to other contemporary wishing effects, but in theory instant speed untap shenanigans can get you multiple wishes, granted you have the mana first.

My only complaint is, while i like the balanced aspect that it always grants you one wish, the coinflip aspect now seems to be just tacked on so that coinflip happens at all for flavor reasons. Maybe lower the activation cost, but only grant wishes on a successful flip? I'm not sure.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Acrobatic Tumble -- UR
Instant {C}
Draw a card.
I see where this card is coming from, but i don't see how it connects to the chance aspect of a coinflip. Yes, during such a tumble a kind of flip does happen, but the person tumbling would both go through the "in the air" and "on the ground states" as well, and they would have a lot more control about their state. I feel like that the card would work better as some form of modal card with perhaps more mana cost? I know that then it would drop the coinflip altogether, but thats the point.

Drawing a card atop an effect seems nice enough for this card to not be a complete disaster. Since giving one thing flying and pseudo vigilance sometimes is usually not good enough i would always use this card as a "50% chance to save 1 creature and draw a card" way. I guess if a hypothetical limited environment has relevant removal spells which specifically destroys tapped creatures i would be a lot happier to play this card.

Finally, i don't see why this card needs to be red at all beyond the coinflip. I think it could cost 1U easily.
frogchild wrote:
3 years ago
Gambling Goblin
Creature - Goblin
He always goes all in
1/2
Well, its a goblin. And its quite the gamble. If I consider it as a big lategame mana generator and think of it as 1/2 of the coins will win each time, at least two activations has to be made for this card to net you positive mana. Then (if i understand it correctly,) this gives you positive mana after 15 total mana spent with three activations at the earliest. Sure, things change with other coinflip support cards on the field, but by itself this card feels wonky, and it's not the card i would be excited to play a coinflip deck for, rather a card i shove into my coinflip deck to fill out the list.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Great planeswalker desgin! While nothing is groundbreaking here other than the swingy way to gain loyalty, this type of walker is the type i like to see the most: quirky, useful, but not overpowering. The opponent has options to decide whether Ral should be left alone or try to spend resources to take it out.

As Ral has been known to flip some coins before, the flavor also fits quite well.
The ultimate is fittingly not that strong, but useful nonetheless. My only complaint really is that I think a triggered ability on the emblem would have been a bit cleaner desgin. Splicing a draw effect onto spells could create some gameplay issues, when instants and sorceries are getting countered, or taken control of.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
All In 2R
Sorcery (Rare)
Yes. this is how i want wheel of fortune effects. Optional for other players, and a low-but-not insignificant chance to bust. Great card, I have doubts on how well this plays, but i never actually played with wheel of fortune so i dont know.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Merchant of Brains BB
1/1
Its a nice spin on tavern swindler, and seems appropriately costed to me. However, the second ability being able to sac creatures at no mana at instant speed seems a bit too strong for my taste. Definietly could use a sorcery speed limitation, and perhaps a mana or two as activation cost.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Unstable Elemental 1r
Creature - Elemental (u)
First strike,
1/3
While i get the flavor of this card, the ability to flip an infinite coins seems unwise to me, especially if we think of it as a more serious theme in context of this challenge. Also, i am a bit worried that the permanent stat change results in memory issues.
Also also, the base 1/3 creature is quite meh to me as a baseline, 2/2 is somewhat passable, and while 3/1 firststrike is desirable on a 2 drop, its also nowhere near good enough to worth risking ever casting.
Top 3
1 Venedrex's Wishing Well
2. slimytrout's Ral Zarek, Risk-Taker
3.netn10's all in

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”