Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
New idea for Un-Sets: MDFCs with different rarities on each side that mix and match!
so, we can find this both in the uncommon and the mythic slots? :O
It would appear in a dedicated DFC slot, but the rarity of the front half and the back half are independent of each other. So sometimes you'd get this combo, but other times you might get Milliner's Revenge with another uncommon back face, or possibly luck into a DFC that is mythic on both sides!
Very interesting! Since cards are only their front faces I assume it would be like Very Cryptic Command, where all the variants are treated as one card (as long as they have the same front face).

And if the backside is different colors, you can even end up with a card with multiple different color identities for commander purposes.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Planar Typhoon 5UU
Instant (R)
Each player shuffles each creature they own into their libraries.

IIW: Something so simple it shoulda been done by now.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

Grand Reiteration
Sorcery (M)
Reveal your hand, then exile the top half of your library, rounded down. Put each card exiled this way that shares a card name with a card in your hand into your hand, then put the rest into your graveyard.

IIW: Boring mythics
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Behemoth Blast 5GGG
Sorcery {M}
Create a 5/5 green Beast creature token with haste. Creatures you control get +3/+3 and gain trample until end of turn.

IIW: cultivate mass
MEG

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 3 years ago

Awaken the Titans 3UUUGGG
Sorcery (M)
Giant Offering (You may cast this card any time you could cast an instant by sacrificing a Giant and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed Giant. Mana cost includes color.)
You gain 9 life and draw three cards, then you may put up to three land cards from your hand onto the battlefield. Create three 6/6 green and blue Elder Giant creature tokens.

IIW: mom's spaghetti
"Image"

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Release the Kraken! 5UUGG
Sorcery
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Kraken card. If a Kraken card is revealed this way, put it onto the battlefield and create a 1/1 blue Tentacle creature token for each non-Kraken card that was revealed this way. Shuffle your library.
Exile Release the Kraken!

I couldn't get the song outta my head.

IIW: Bears, badgers, and beavers, oh my!

Mergatroid_Jones

Go Nuts X3GG
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target noncreature permanent
Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
Create X 1/1 green Squirrel creature tokens.

This one isn't expensive in all it's modes, but it gets quite costly.

Funky Time Travel Montage UU
Sorcery (M)
Multikicker 2
Take an additional turn after this one. For each time CARDNAME was kicked, you may choose one of the following. For each you don't choose, skip that step or phase during the additional turn.
- Untap Step
- Draw Step
- First Main Phase
- Combat Phase
- Second Main Phase

IIW: Eldrazi mechanics (emerge, meld, scions and spawn, colorless matter, cast tiggers, etc.)

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Blue and/or green spells are great. They're blue or they're green and they can all go into Simic Commander decks. As a result, I will be judging these cards based on how well they fit into my infamous Simic card draw tribal deck. The game plan is to run low-to-the-ground mana dorks with Edric, Spymaster of Trest, to ramp up and draw into big time bombs like Biomantic Mastery to draw as much of my deck as possible before my buddy with the Derevi deck inevitably kills everyone.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
The first color pie bend was for realz. The second time was just joshing.

Itlimoc's Glorious Rise GG
Instant (M)
Draw 3 cards.
Until end of turn, you may cast creature spells without paying their mana costs as though they had flash.

IIW: Shakespeare the Gathering
Card draw ☑ but expensive
Ribbon is useful for playing creatures like Prime Speaker Zegana and potentially flashing in a Laboratory Maniac every now and then.
3 years ago
Restitute 3GGUU
Instant (R)
Counter target spell. If you do, you gain X life, draw X cards, create X 0/1 green Plant creature tokens, then put X +1/+1 counters on each creature you control. At the beginning of your next main phase, add X mana in any combination of colors, where X is the converted mana cost of the spell countered this way.

IIW: ooparts
Interaction ☑ Card draw ☑ Blockers ☑ I like it.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
I don't generally put rarities on cards on the boards, since they're not found in boosters or packs.
Rhizoplast Blessing -- 3GGU
Sorcery {U}
{Simic watermark}
Put three +1/+1 counters on target creature. Then, adjust the number of +1/+1 counters on each creature you control with a counter on it so they all have the greatest number of +1/+1 counters.
A little wordy! You'd use this to put three +1/+1 counters on a creature, and then your Spike Feeder and Simic Initiate would bump up to three counters each, too. Or drop it on your Cytospawn Shambler for bomby fun times!
IIW: Flaming skulls
No draw, but one of my win conditions is slamming a kicked Rite of Replication onto a Master Biomancer, and boy does this work as a win-more in that scenario.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
I don't generally put rarities on cards on the boards, since they're not found in boosters or packs.
I get the sentiment, but when trying to compare designs from multiple people to choose a winner, having a sense of the intended rarity helps figure out if the design as a whole is reasonable (even though in theory it might change during development). If there's a card that I like that has a rarity displayed and another that I like that doesn't, I'll always give the nod to the more complete picture.

Grapple 4G
Sorcery (U)
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
//
Understand 3GU
Instant (U)
Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Draw three cards. If you control each creature with the greatest power, create two Shard tokens. (They're enchantments with "2, Sacrifice this enchantment: Scry 1, then draw a card.")

IIW: Craven knights
Card draw ☑ but this thing's kinda cheating the high CMC with an aftermath card.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Gone Fishing 1U
Instant {R}
Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a blue card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

//MDFC//

Huge Catch 2GG
Sorcery {R}
You may put a blue creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.

IIW: the tides
This doesn't even have a high CMC!
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Fair point about the hexproof/indestructability, however since it was an on/off threshold mechanic dependent on the players handsize, I thought I could bend the unwritten rules a little. :please:

Oh, well, better luck next time I guess. :grin:

Call Forth the Deep Ones 8GGUU
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for up to six Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, and/or Squid creature cards with different names and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

IIW: Superheroes and Supervillains.
Unfortunately, the only sea monsters in the deck are Sea-Dasher Octopus and Simic Sky Swallower so this ends up as a very inefficient tutor.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Lurker in the Depths 9UU
Sorcery (R)
Lurker in the Depths costs 1 less for each Cephalid, Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, Horror, or Serpent in your graveyard.
Return a Cephalid, Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, Horror, or Serpent from your graveyard to the battlefield and then return each creature with a lower converted mana cost.

I know this is on a similar length the entry above but its a card I've had sitting for over a year.

IIW: Cephalids as Mindflayers
This one is much better though, because it also counts my Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait and Forgotten Creation, and slapping it on a high CMC creature lets me bring back all the dorks that died to one of the seventeen wrath effects in the playgroup
frogchild wrote:
3 years ago
Oops I should have put a rarity, it was intended to be uncommon

Simic Steroids
Sorcery (R)
Simic Steroids costs less to cast, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters among creatures you control.
Choose any number of creatures with +1/+1 counters on them. Double those counters.
There's a reason the Simic don't play sport

Iiw: ravnica college
Wow this is like that card above, but cheaper and more exciting.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
New idea for Un-Sets: MDFCs with different rarities on each side that mix and match!

Milliner's Revenge 1U
Instant (U)
Counter target spell with no hats in its art.
//
High Fashion 4UUU
Sorcery (M)
Choose a nontoken permanent you control, then create X tokens that are copies of it, where X is the number of hats in its art. Repeat this process for each other nontoken permanent you control.

IIW: Mix-and-match Un-DFCs.
A no-hat counter is pretty useful as a counter-counter and it's also really good into the Jace tribal player (provided hoods don't count as hats).
As for the hat copy, unfortunately the only multi-hatted creature I have is Sakashima the Impostor (do masks count as hats?) which isn't too good cloned. The rest of my deck is better off being slapped with a kicked Rite of Replication. Unless you would judge that Thought Reflection has hats. Then that's a big yes.
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Ghalta's Rampage 8GGG
Sorcery (R)
This spell costs X less to cast, where X is the total power among creatures you control.
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power, divided as you choose, among any number of creatures your opponents control.

Nezahal's Surfacing 8UUU
Sorcery (R)
This spell costs X less to cast, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
Choose target creature you control. Until end of turn, that creature gains "this creature gets +1/+0 for each card in your hand." and "whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card."

IIW: Signature spells for a legendary creature you want to have a spell.
Nezahal's Surfacing is card draw ☑ does nothing ☑ perfect for my deck at a measly 3 mana.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Planar Typhoon 5UU
Instant (R)
Each player shuffles each creature they own into their libraries.

IIW: Something so simple it shoulda been done by now.
Mass removal is insanely good when my current alternative is a Gather Specimens. Unfortunately, shuffling does mean the Scion of the Ur-Dragon can reuse any Dragons he already had on the field.
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Grand Reiteration
Sorcery (M)
Reveal your hand, then exile the top half of your library, rounded down. Put each card exiled this way that shares a card name with a card in your hand into your hand, then put the rest into your graveyard.

IIW: Boring mythics
Boy this card was a rollercoaster.
  • Exiling my library → fear; I could be drawing those cards instead
  • Putting cards exiled → joy; that's just as good as drawing
  • Sharing a name → KEKW
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Behemoth Blast 5GGG
Sorcery {M}
Create a 5/5 green Beast creature token with haste. Creatures you control get +3/+3 and gain trample until end of turn.

IIW: cultivate mass
strictly worse Craterhoof Behemoth because it's not a win-con when I kick a Rite of Replication on it.
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
Awaken the Titans 3UUUGGG
Sorcery (M)
Giant Offering (You may cast this card any time you could cast an instant by sacrificing a Giant and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed Giant. Mana cost includes color.)
You gain 9 life and draw three cards, then you may put up to three land cards from your hand onto the battlefield. Create three 6/6 green and blue Elder Giant creature tokens.

IIW: mom's spaghetti
Card draw ☑ Life gain ☑ Looks good, but I'm worried my mana base can't sustain 6 colour pips.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Release the Kraken! 5UUGG
Sorcery
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Kraken card. If a Kraken card is revealed this way, put it onto the battlefield and create a 1/1 blue Tentacle creature token for each non-Kraken card that was revealed this way. Shuffle your library.
Exile Release the Kraken!

I couldn't get the song outta my head.

IIW: Bears, badgers, and beavers, oh my!
Unfortunately the deck doesn't run any Krakens. Nice try though.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Go Nuts X3GG
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target noncreature permanent
Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
Create X 1/1 green Squirrel creature tokens.

This one isn't expensive in all it's modes, but it gets quite costly.

Funky Time Travel Montage UU
Sorcery (M)
Multikicker 2
Take an additional turn after this one. For each time CARDNAME was kicked, you may choose one of the following. For each you don't choose, skip that step or phase during the additional turn.
- Untap Step
- Draw Step
- First Main Phase
- Combat Phase
- Second Main Phase

IIW: Eldrazi mechanics (emerge, meld, scions and spawn, colorless matter, cast tiggers, etc.)
Go Nuts is very versatile but unexciting.
Funky Time Travel Montage is fun, but the base only gets me an extra seven off Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. Everything above that is just sadly overcosted.
Winner is avatarz.
Next: ooparts which I'm guessing means OOParts?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Unfortunately the deck doesn't run any Krakens. Nice try though.
I don't think I've done this before, but could I exchange one of those "more involved feedback plx" coupons I hear exist? I kinda liked that design and was interested in what you'd think of it, but I feel a bit like the rug got pulled out from under me here.

NinjaCaterpie

As with all high-cmc simic spells, it receives the stamp of "exciting but useless 10/10". It is a bit unintuitive that it has such a focus on Krakens and feels like you can manipulate it, but is actually better the less Krakens you have and is better when you haven't manipulated the top of your deck

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

I feel like I was given a raw deal here just because your deck doesn't do what green and blue does best when combined. That being ramping out giant sea monsters, Oh well, better luck next time I guess.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Megiddo
MEG

I'm mad that the judge knows the rules and correctly declined to judge my card.
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

I didn't know what the threshold for "high cmc" was, and as a primarily Legacy player, 5 on each side felt like a lot. But it's a fun challenge, so we move on.

Combustion Engine 4
Artifact (U)
When Combustion Engine enters the battlefield, create two Treasure tokens.
Sacrifice a Treasure: Attached permanent gains haste until end of turn. If it's a noncreature Vehicle, it becomes a creature until end of turn.
Sacrifice two Treasures: Attached permanent can't be blocked this turn.
3: Attach Combustion Engine to target creature or Vehicle you control.
"This craftsmanship is beyond the design of even the gods!"
—Verenis, priest of Iroas

I'm not sure this is supported in the rules, which only reference "attaching" in the context of Auras, Equipment, and Fortifications. But none of those really fit (since Equipment can't attach to noncreature permanents), so rather than make a new artifact subtype, this is just an artifact that can attach to other things.
Last edited by Cythare 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Numbers 6: OOPArts - Atlantal
2rrww
Legendary Artifact Creature - Elemental Golem (M)
When Numbers 6: OOPArts - Atlantal enters the battlefield, if it was cast, you may exile a creature card with Numbers in its name from your graveyard.
Atlantal gets +X/+0, where X is half the power of the exiled card.
2bbrr, Put a card exiled by Atlantal into its owner's graveyard: Target opponent loses half their life, rounded up. Atlantal can't attack this turn. Activate this ability only if Atlantal hasn't attacked this turn
4/6

I have a feeling that this isn't what you meant, so:

Crystal Skull
Artifact (R)
T: Add one mana of any color
T: Add
, T, Exile Crystal Skull: Look at the top three cards of your library. Exile one of those cards, then put one into your hand, and the other on the bottom of your library.

Quimbaya Airplane
Artifact Creature - Treasure Thopter (C)
Flying
T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.
T: Target creature with power 1 or less gains flying until end of turn.
1/2

Dora Dogu
Artifact Creature - Golem (U)
Dora Dogu enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters on it.
Dora Dogu has defender as long as it has an odd number of counters on it.
1, T, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Dora Dogu: Target creature can't attack or block this turn.
0/0

Shuka, OOParts Shakōkidogū
2wub
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem
Shuka, OOParts Shakōkidogū's power and toughness are each equal to the number of cards in exile.
Suspend X . X can't be 0.
Whenever a time counter is removed from Shuka while it's exiled, target player exiles the top card of their library.
*/*

IIW: Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Porcelain Mask 3W
Artifact {R}
If a source an opponent controls would deal damage to you, prevent 1 of that damage.
At the beginning of each end step, if you were dealt damage this turn, each opponent loses 1 life.
"Kilnmaster Wulfe spent his final months locked in his atelier, fruitlessly trying to to recreate the artifact we had brought back from expedition. We finally found his charred corpse inside of his own kiln—wearing a perfect replica."

IIW: cyberpunk / the equivalent for a Magic setting
Last edited by Megiddo 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
As with all high-cmc simic spells, it receives the stamp of "exciting but useless 10/10". It is a bit unintuitive that it has such a focus on Krakens and feels like you can manipulate it, but is actually better the less Krakens you have and is better when you haven't manipulated the top of your deck
Thank you! I appreciate this.

I'd point out:
1. it's release THE kraken, c'mon, you only have one, right?
2. it's pretty good if you scry your kraken to the bottom :D

(you're right, it is a card that cares about Krakens but is very definitely not Kraken Tribal friendly)

anyway, onto ooparts!!!! which is a fun word i didn't know about before today and which in a lot of these cases i'm reading about is carrying some weird vibes around exceptionalism (like that it is somehow exceptional and out of place for the ancient world to have technology that it took centuries for the western world to have found, the same kind of thing as "aliens must have built the pyramids because white people couldn't have done it"—Sushrutha documented a well-developed culture of surgery in India at 800 BC, the Indus Valley had fully working water supply and sewage infrastructure several thousand years before the Romans figured out aqueducts, and ten thousand years ago humans perfected leatherworking to the point the artform has barely not changed since.)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Ancient Geode 3
Artifact (U)
: Add one mana of any color.
, Sacrifice Ancient Geode: Create three colorless artifact tokens named Etherium Cell with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
"Something inside this feels ... familiar somehow." — Tezzeret

IIW: Badgers, beavers, and bears, oh my!

Sporegorger_Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
"Something inside this feels ... familiar somehow." — Tezzeret
For one wild second I thought you were implying Tezzeret hatched from a geode, until I remembered one version of him makes Etherium cells.

Mergatroid_Jones

Historian Forger 1UU
Creature- Human Wizard Rogue (R)
When Historian Forger enters the battlefield, create a token copy of target artifact, except it has "When this artifact becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."
"An amazing Thran artifact, unearthed from my very own back yard!"
1/3

Dellie and Garou, Dealers of "Antiquities" 2R
Creature- Human Artificer Rogue (R)
At the beginning of your end step, you may reveal an artifact card from your hand or exile an artifact card from your graveyard to create a colorless artifact token called Phony Treasure with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color unless any player pays 1 and 1 life."
2U: Exchange control of exactly three target artifacts you control and target permanent an opponent controls.
2/2

The Gallery of Old Dominaria 2
Legendary Artifact (R)
2: Choose any name. Put a legendary counter on target artifact you control. Its name becomes the chosen name.
Spells that target legendary permanents you control cost an additional 2.
"Wow! THE Legacy Weapon. It looks totally different than how I imagined."

IIW: Return to Ikoria
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Accidental Masterpiece -- 4U
Enchantment
Whenever you pay WUBRG for a mono-colored spell, copy it. You may choose new modes and targets for the copy.
"Oops!" -- Nudnuk, goblin watercolorist.
"Art!" -- Rodneik, vedalken appraiser.

Next: Really weird Reddit usernames
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Looks like I have to sit this one out. I've been wracking my brain for over an hour to come up with something but I got nuthin'.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Looks like I have to sit this one out. I've been wracking my brain for over an hour to come up with something but I got nuthin'.
I read the ooparts article on Wikipedia and chose something to satirise, if it helps

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I read the ooparts article on Wikipedia and chose something to satirise, if it helps
It did actually.

Sivatherium of Kish 3GW
Legendary Artifact Creature - Giraffe (R)
When Sivatherium of Kish enters the battlefield, create a colorless legendary Equipment artifact token named "Chariot of Kish" with "As long as equipped creature is named Sivatherium of Kish it gets +2/+2 and has vigilance and trample, otherwise it gets +1/+1 and has vigilance" and "Equip 2" and attach it to Sivatherium of Kish.
4/4

Bonus token:

Chariot of Kish
Legendary Artifact Token - Equipment
As long as equipped creature is named Sivatherium of Kish it gets +2/+2 and has vigilance and trample, otherwise it gets +1/+1 and has vigilance.
Equip 2

IIW: Superheroes and supervillains.

NinjaCaterpie

Relic Dervish 4
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Living Weapon
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and has first strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to another creature, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
Equip 3
"Unearthed from the Murasa Skyclave. Dated at seven hundred years. Animated by ancient Kor magic." - Label at Sea Gate Museum

IIW: Lands matter

frogchild
izzet mage

Post by frogchild » 3 years ago

Otherworldly Hedron
Artifact (U)
When Otherworldly Hedron enters the battlefield, you may put a basic land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
, T, sacrifice Otherworldly Hedron: Scry 1, then draw a card
"It's like nothing on all of Kaladesh"
-Pin, Consul researcher

Iiw: sponsorship
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”