Hexproof variant

silver_skeleton
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by silver_skeleton » 3 years ago

Hexproof is a nice ability, but it has some shortcomings for an evergreen ability, which can be seen by its reduced usage on common and uncommon creatures in recent years. It's very usefull for reactionary effects, but as a simple creature ability, it limits interactivity too much.

Wizards has chosen to restrict it with "Hexproof from ...", which limits what spells and abilities the creature is protected from. (I like the concept of Hexproof from CARDTYPE more than from COLOR.) I came up with a different concept, limiting the times when the creature is hexproofed.

Cloak (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control the turn it enters the battlefield, and as long as it's attacking or it's not your turn.)

I wanted to provide a window for opponents to target the creature without that being too easy. The mechanic is inspired by "batching" of things (like the Historic ability does). Just that here it's limitations that are batched.

The restriction to the controller's turn is there to prevent non-Instants / non-flash, the limit to outside of combat because I want to prevent a kill in reaction to attacking, and the first turn limit is to enable the caster to at least get some usage out of the creature even if the opponent has an instant kill spell in hand.

I'd rather it be called something with Hex... that hints at time dependent protection, but I couldn't think of a fitting name.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

I like this a lot. Hexproof does have some significant power issues. It might just be me, but I think the three conditions might be a bit hard to track when two of them are turn related and one is combat related. Personally I'd lean into "this can't be targeted by spells/abilities your opponents control while it's your turn" or "... while it isn't your turn". (Optionally combined with "and the first turn this enters the battlefield.)

silver_skeleton

Thanks for the feedback. You have a point about the differences between the conditions, maybe I'm just going to change the attacking to "combat phase", so it's all about turns and phases.

Cloak (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control the turn it enters the battlefield, in the combat phase and if it's not your turn.)

The differences aren't that big and maybe it's better to underestand. I just like all of the limitations for the reasons I described.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

silver_skeleton wrote:
3 years ago
I'd rather it be called something with Hex... that hints at time dependent protection, but I couldn't think of a fitting name.
Hexdodge!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

silver_skeleton

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Hexdodge!
That's a possibility... I just wanted it to be a name that points to more of a passive thing, because I feel with something active the limit during attack/combat makes less sense. You made me think about Hexdamping. But that might be better for the spelltax variant of hexproof... Sigh, names is always what I struggle most with. My original idea was Hexshielded, maybe that's not the worst name.

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

silver_skeleton wrote:
3 years ago
Hexward?

Hexblock? (Might get confused with hexproof)

Hexcloak?

Resist-Hex? (Are hyphens allowed?)

Hexguard?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

silver_skeleton

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Hexward?
I like this. Nice and simple, I'm going to use it.

Regarding the ability, I'm back at the original version, because the opponent should get the chance to do something about the creature at the beginning step of combat, before it gets the ward.

Hexward (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control the turn it enters the battlefield, and as long as it's attacking or it's not your turn.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”