[RPG] Adventures in Zendikar (play-by-post)

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

RaikouRider:
Flavor: 3 - are we seeing Sky's siblings? I'm excited. (or clones? what's the in-lore flavor for the legend rule anyway?)
Design: 2.5 - time to summon an army, I suppose.
Development: 3 - slightly weaker Parallel Lives / Anointed Procession at a slightly lower cost, with a Mirror Gallery rider.
Luck: 8! (4+4)
Bonus: 1
Total: 17.5

I'll be doing outcomes and challenges tomorrow. @jamblock joining was unexpected threw off my planning a bit.

Yes, I'm still accepting entries / participants. I will however note that it's a bit of an awkward time to join - the other adventurers are currently fighting / running away from the final boss of the dungeon they're in, so I need to think of a way to drop you in. Still, you're welcome to join for however much longer the adventure goes for. I will note that I haven't decided yet whether I'll be running another adventure / dungeon after this one - my main reason for potentially stopping was due to participation being down, but another person joining would help mitigate that.

jamblock
Pronoun: he / him

Post by jamblock » 3 years ago

@Mookie

Tell ya what, then. Leave me out of it until the final boss fight is over and then, if you wanna keep it going, I'll join for the adventure after, and if you don't, no worries. Trust me, I get the struggles of running things like this, so I'm good with whatever's easiest, which seems like it'd be what I just suggested.

Mookie

Outcomes and Challenges:
@slimytrout and @Lorn Asbord Schutta:
When faced with a life-or-death situation, most creatures respond in one of two ways: fight, or flight. Goreteg is no exception to this - the mere presence of Ulamog is enough to send a shiver down his spine, as its oppressive majesty threatens to suck the mana - and life - from his bones. He panics, and begins to flee. Unfortunately, this only seems to draw the massive Eldrazi's ire - it glances at Goreteg with its eyeless gaze, and he begins to wither under its attention. Unlike the cultists that gave their lives previously, Goreteg actively resists this attack and thus does not instantly disintegrate. However, the attack - if the merest speck of the Eldrazi titan's attention can be called such - still leaves the minotaur feeling drained, inflicting 11 (2d6) points of damage as he runs to find cover.

Illenen takes a more subdued response - he raises his shield and waits as the Eldrazi is distracted by his comrade, which gives him a moment to observe Ulamog. Despite the adrenaline pumping through his veins, the knight finds himself eerily calm. Dozens of half-formed thoughts cross his mind as he thinks in circles - How? Why? Flee? Fight? Survive? How? One singular thought eventually claws its way to the front of Illenen's consciousness: this situation is outright impossible. Ignoring the impossibilities of reviving an Eldrazi (which seems difficult, even for a master necromancer) and the greater impossibility of reviving Ulamog itself (given that it was cremated), there's still the significantly bigger impossibility of the timing. The ritual reviving the titan was clearly interrupted, and there's no way that the cultists intended to revive their god under the conditions that transpired. Rather, it seemed more like this occurred out of desperation, because they ran out of time to progress their plans. The rushed nature of the ritual must have resulted in a flaw in the revival process.

Challenge: Find a weakness or flaw
Restriction: Attacking without a plan won't do anything. No dealing damage to or harming Ulamog.
Bonus: +1 point if you can make use of prior experience - either with fighting Eldrazi, or dealing with necromancy

@RaikouRider:
There is an eternal question for summoners: quantity, or quality? Many masters of summoning magic take pride in conjuring up the strongest beast or monster they can, confident that it will triumph over any number of lesser creatures. But in this situation, Ivan recalls a saying in his order that occasionally comes up: In sufficient numbers, quantity has a quality all its own.

Ivan and Sky rush into the chamber, and are struck by an awe-inducing sight. Dozens of cultists lie on the ground, bleeding or unconscious. Two adventurers, a minotaur and a knight, appear to be the victors in a battle against the cultists... but they appear to both be cowering before a single, massive presence that dominates the cavern. Two arms, four hands, an eyeless, bony helmet... and an overpowering aura that seems to suck the life from all those who witness it. Ulamog.

Ivan momentarily loses his breath, but continues his summoning spell. The presence of the Eldrazi titan seems to stir something in his memory - the last time the titan was slain, he heard that Zendikar itself empowered those fighting against it, as if its rage against the eldritch invaders was made manifest. Perhaps Zendikar would be willing to lend its aid again? Ivan feels himself reaching for something, and is surprised to find something responding - he feels his summoning spell being empowered by a force much, much greater than him, allowing him to summon many more creatures than usual.

Challenge: summon something to help!
Restriction: none!
Bonus: you may add GGGG to your mana pool to help cast the spell, and the number of creatures summoned will be doubled.

Other stuff:
Next update tentatively planned for 1/28.
@jamblock - thanks for being understanding, I'll let you know if I do end up running another adventure after this one.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Ivan and Sky gasped, the white lion taking a few steps back in an otherwise foreign emotion for the regal animal that bonded only with true knights of the Silverpaw. That emotion was fear. Genuine fear. The only thing that kept him going was the hymn of the Silverpaw, echoing in his mind. Gathering his courage, he gently pressed his legs against Sky's sides, the pearl-colored predator snapping out of his fright.

"We can't take this thing on by ourselves," Ivan shouted to the others in the room, "but together, we shall overcome even the invincible titan before us!" Turning his mount to one side, Ivan projected upon the nearest wall the image of a castle large courtyard in the savannah, a heavily-armored, high-ranking member of the Silverpaw entering the large, Eldrazi-filled chamber astride a regal-looking felidar.

The rank-and-file of the Silverpaw poured out from behind the commodore as Silverpaw lions that looked just like Sky began materializing around them, all geared up just as the original was. There were so many that even Goreteg and Illenen could fight alongside one if they wanted to...though the Sky look-alikes were probably not strong enough to bear Goreteg. The summoned legion lined up and faced the otherworldly abomination, ready to charge as soon as Ivan saw enough of an opening to give the command.

Commodore of the Claw 4GGW
Creature - Human Knight {M}
When Commodore of the Claw enters the battlefield, create a white 2/2 Human Knight creature token. Then populate for each creature token you control. (Create a token that's a copy of a creature token you control.)
The deafening echo of simultaneous roars preluded a brutal, bloody, and furry stampede. The silence that followed was equally deafening.

3/3
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
STR: 0/7
Inv: Clue (1)
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC or one mana of any color.
"This seems waaaay too simple."
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge
Show
Hide
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge1C
Artifact {M}
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge enters the battlefield with three page counters on it.
1, T, Pay any amount of life, Remove a page counter from Tome of Forbidden Knowledge: Ask a question. You will get a yes-or-no answer. If you paid 3 or more life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid all but 1 life and at least 7 life, you will instead get a straight answer.
"Is it dangerous to read this book?"
"YES."
Sanguine Scales
Show
Hide
Sanguine Scales
Artifact (U)
, : You gain 1 life.
, : Target spell or creature gains lifelink until end of turn.
, , Sacrifice Sanguine Scales: it deals 3 damage to any target.
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie

Bumping back a few more days to see if more actions get taken, to 1/31.

frogchild
izzet mage
Pronoun: she / her

Post by frogchild » 3 years ago

Is this still open to new joinees?
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

Mookie

frogchild wrote:
3 years ago
Is this still open to new joinees?
Theoretically yes, but practically no - people are currently in the middle of fighting the final boss of the dungeon, which makes it a somewhat awkward time to join. That said, I can let you know if / when another one starts up.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

RaikouRider:

Flavor: 3. Feels like an army of nature assembling.
Design: 2. I don't think that "populate for each creature token you control" is the right way to say this, because populate lets you choose what token to copy so it seems like you could create N copies of your best token instead of 1 copy of N tokens. Probably just "create a copy of each creature token you control" would work.
Development: 2.5. On its own it's just 7 p/t for 7 mana, which is not a great rate for a mythic. But I'm sure in a token EDH deck it would be one of your best cards, and honestly it's kind of asking to be legendary.
Luck: 6
Total: 13.5

---

Goreteg stumbles, feeling the life-force drained from him. Another attack like that and he would be reduced to dust. In desperation, he lets the stone floor swallow him whole, trying to remain out of sight to keep himself from being wiped from the earth.

Secreted Away G
Instant (U)
Target creature you control phases out. When it phases back in, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Tired of humanity's pretenses, Jolrael forsook civilization and found tranquility in the jungle.

Once he felt slightly safer, he pulled out a piece of Food and consumed it, trying to avoid swallowing any stone as he did so. He took a moment to consider the ritual -- why had it succeeded despite their intervention? Goreteg had once interrupted a vampire while she was draining a traveler's blood and, though her poor victim was long dead by the time Goreteg dispatched the bloodsucker, the body had not risen again as a null. Clearly the priestess's sacrifice was crucial, but why?
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 11/14 (+1/+1 counter - 1 rounds remaining)
Strength: 9
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx1

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Checks you make involving other minotaurs get a +2 bonus
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Your creature spells cost less to cast.
Equip

Mookie

Running a bit behind, will update later today.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

slimytrout
Flavour - 2; A reasonable course of action and the flavour synch with Mirage and Jolrael, but there is this dissonance between using card styled around Dominaria in Zendikar context.
Design - 2; Well, phasing in green is controversary. It plays better - and therefore makes more sense - then blinking with counters and auras - common things in green - but at the same time phasing had established flavour of time manipulation. As of now it is unknown where - and if - phasing would be put in after Core 21, but I do not suspect green to get it.
Development - 2; It could really be common in terms of complexity itself, but at the same it cannot be even uncommon without reminder text for phasing.
Bonus - 1;
Luck - 5 (1+4);
Total: 12

——

Illenen heard some ruckus at the hall's entrance. Reinforces? They would certainly come in handy. Something was off about the supposed Titan, so while the fight will be hard, it might prove successful.

But still, while the bleeding stopped, knight needed to catch his breath and adjust to pain near his hip. Illenen's thoughts shifted towards his order and the fateful battle, during which most of them died. He remembered the tranquil mantra all the knights used. An exorcism of sorts, it was believed to protect from some of Eldrazi's powers. Some said it was magical, others that it simply allowed to focus and shield your mind from eldritch influence. But it was not important right now. The mantra indeed helped knight back then, so Illenen intended to use it.

Knight imagines the potential harm he could inflict, then thinks about other, somewhat more horrific ways of injuring that Eldrazi could dealt to him. He mutters the vow, promising the Zendikar itself to restrain himself as long as he will be protected from such attacks.

Abjuration
Enchantment (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, exile a card from your hand.
Spells with the converted mana cost equal to 1 plus converted mana cost of the exiled card can't be cast.
Restrictions are chains, but the dutiful wear them as a chainmail.

——
Character
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
  • Illenen gets +1/+1 and gains first strike until end of turn.
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS: 3 Temporary Hit Points
HP: 16/13
STR: 0/6 (0+6)
INV:
Food
Clue

Mookie

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flavor: 3 - if you're familiar with a thing, you can ward against it
Design: 3 - this is... extremely interesting. A bit like Chalice of the Void, but with Imprint.
Development: 2 - I have some concerns about power level (Chalice of the Void is... an extremely influential card), but costing a card from hand may be appropriate to balance it. Exiling lands to shut off 1-drops as a T1 play seems extremely powerful, especially in eternal formats (where some decks are already running Ancient Tomb to power out Chalice). I'm not docking a point for that though - I'm docking a point for stopping creature spells too, which white usually doesn't do (see Sanctum Prelate and Archon of Valor's Reach).
Luck: 6 (2+4)
Bonus: +1
Total: 15

Outcomes and Challenges
@RaikouRider, @slimytrout, and @Lorn Asbord Schutta:
With a mighty roar, Ivan summons as many reinforcements as he can manage, stretching the very limits of his magical abilities - he'll almost certainly be sore tomorrow (or whatever the magical equivalent is).... but for an Eldrazi, it's worth pulling out all the stops. Lions appear out of the aether and fill the chamber - while they may not pose a threat to Ulamog individually, their numbers will certainly help. At the very least, the additional targets provide a distraction to allow Goreteg and Illenen a moment to rest and analyze the situation.

Goreteg uses his brief respite to ponder the nature of the ritual while concealing himself beneath some stone. The priestess was clearly working to complete a ritual, and the ritual was clearly not completed... yet Ulamog has still arisen once again. The ritual must have been meant to do more than to merely resurrect the Eldrazi titan - which seems difficult to imagine, given how difficult such a task must be. Thinking out loud, he posits there must be some aspect unique to Eldrazi that is missing.

Meanwhile, Illenen contemplates how to slay an Eldrazi. Titanic, mighty creatures capable of devouring the very plan itself - a challenging opponent even in the best conditions. They could only be slain with an overwhelming display of force. But... despite how many Zendikari banded together to stop the Eldrazi menace years ago, they could barely hold back the tide of-

At this moment, Illenen hears Goreteg's thoughts and realizes what was seeming strange about the situation. There's no brood. Thinking back, Illenen recalls discussions he had overheard from other adventurers about how relentless the Eldrazi were during the war - every time one was slain, another reappeared in its place, as if it were just shuffling to a new position. Some academics theorized that Eldrazi were somehow higher-dimensional beings, and that the Eldrazi brood were merely projections of a greater entity - unless that greater entity were slain, the menace would never be stopped. Yet in this case, there is no brood: only the lone, single Eldrazi.

Perhaps the true intent of the ritual was to reconnect Ulamog to its greater self, or to restore whatever part of it was lost during death... but that part of the ritual seems to be incomplete. There must be some way to take advantage of this - if Ulamog is taken out, it will be for good. On the other hand, if Ulamog is able to escape and begin establishing a new brood... Illenen shudders to contemplate how much damage would occur, if the Eldrazi could even be sealed again.

Challenge: you have some idea of what its weakness is. Come up with a plan of attack.
Restriction: even a lonely Eldrazi will still need teamwork to overcome. Should make use of teamwork in some way.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior teamwork experiences.

Other Stuff: next update tentatively planned for 2/5, assuming sufficient activity.

Mookie

Bumping back the update a few days due to lack of activity, to 2/8.

slimytrout

Replenished slightly, Goreteg pushes himself up out of the stone. Since none of their current party is a ranged spellcaster, they will need to get close to Ulamog to fight it, and currently it is hanging suspended in the air above the abyss, out of their reach. Goreteg rushes forwards, digs his hands the earth, and heaves with all his might. A massive spray of liquid rock sails through the air before suddenly hardening into a makeshift ramp, just as Goreteg planned. He begins to run to the side to repeat the process.

Pave the Way 1RG
Sorcery (U)
Until end of turn, creatures you control gain haste, trample, and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield tapped. If you do, shuffle your library."
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."

3/3

HP: 11/14 (+1/+1 counter - 1 rounds remaining)
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx1

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

Mookie

Aaaand bumping back another two days, to 2/10.
(@Lorn Asbord Schutta, @RaikouRider)

RaikouRider

@slimytrout
Flavor: 3 - On point.
Design: 2.5 - Though most sensible players would allow you to shortcut multiple searches, the way it's worded, you would perform each search separately. That's a lot of shuffling. Cool design though.
Development: 1.5 - Mass One With Nature hasn't been done before, probably because it could get way out of hand with tokens. Is there a reason this is multicolored? This could be mono-green, or even hybrid.
Luck: 3 - {1} + {2} :(
Total: 11

Ivan's heart raced as he found himself in control of an entire battalion of the Silverpaw's elite forces, the ambient sound of big cats purring menacingly a reminder of how much destructive power his word wielded. Once he composed himself, the young man took one more deep breath, then pointed his blade at the titanic, alien creature. "Charge!" he shouted. In unison, the Sky-clones and the original reared, then lunged toward Ulamog, riders working with their mounts in aiming to shred the monster with sword and claw.

Surround
Sorcery {U}
As an additional cost to cast Surround, tap any number of untapped creatures you control.
Surround deals damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the total power of creatures tapped to cast it.
Sheet
Show
Hide
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
Show
Hide
Artifact {M}
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge enters the battlefield with three page counters on it.
1, T, Pay any amount of life, Remove a page counter from Tome of Forbidden Knowledge: Ask a question. You will get a yes-or-no answer. If you paid 3 or more life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid all but 1 life and at least 7 life, you will instead get a straight answer.
"YES."
Sanguine Scales
Show
Hide
Sanguine Scales
Artifact (U)

Mookie

RaikouRider:
Flavor: 3 - "I have more creatures than you!"
Design: 2.5 - Kabira Takedown // Kabira Plateau and Kamahl's Will indicate this is a good call for a hybrid card.
Development: 1.5 - power level is for a miss for me - this looks really weak, given that Outnumber exists as an instant speed version of this at common... and is still really weak.
Luck: 2 (1+1 - oh no!)
Total: 10

Well, this round should be... interesting. Will have story update later today.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I am sorry, I hope that I can still jump into. I was planning to do it about three days ago, but from Wednesday onwards I had an exorbitant amount of work. I will hold no grudges, if you do not want to judge it.
——

Illenen stands up, as the numerous riders pass next to him, all charging the Titan. From the rumbles of the ground he contends, that Goreteg helps as well. Hopefully they are not Ulamog's doing. There is a storm of fangs and fur next to the eldritch abomination, so great, that knight could not get a clear strike at Titan no matter how much he would try. Not that his simple sword's cuts would amount to much.

There is no brood. A great blessing, no doubt. However the Titan is still a fomiddable foe that cannot be taken lightly. Defenders will have to probably shift their approach accordingly to its reactions multiple times. And while many combatants mean - thankfully, for tired knight - less pressure on individaul fighters, someone still has to take their time to analyze the situation. Seeing that the most proactive approach is outside of realms of possibility for him and Illenen observes behaviour of Ulamog, trying to find further angles of attack and predict the dangers.

Stategist's Observations
Instant (U)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, tap an untapped creature you control.
Scry X, where X is the number of attacking creatures.
Draw a card.
Someone has to be calm during a battle, lest it become a calamity.

Illenen searches his mind for anything that might help. He remebers the note he found in trap. Maybe it will provide a Clue as to what to do? There were some mentions of merfolks...

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
1/3
INV:
Food

Mookie

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flavor: 2.5 - analyze the combat and discern order from chaos. I appreciate the one (strategizing) creature getting tapped to analyze things.
Design: 2 - hmmm... this is potentially a pretty deep scry, which non-blue colors generally don't have access to.
Development: 2.5 - this looks pretty reasonable, although may be a bit too strong depending on how easy it is to go wide. Instant-speed Preordain is a bit concerning, but it also needs to be part of a proactive deck.
Luck: 7 (4+3)
Bonus: +1 edit: +2 from clue
Total: 17

I've also been busy the past few days, so no worries there. Pushing back the story update to later today, although having actions from everyone should certainly help y'all out.
Last edited by Mookie 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Should I get +2 from the Clue I used, shouldn't I?

Mookie

Apologies for the delay, but... update time!

Outcomes and Challenges:
(@slimytrout, @Lorn Asbord Schutta, @RaikouRider)
As the battle continues, the cavern quickly turns to chaos as the summoned forces attack the great Eldrazi... to somewhat mixed results.

Goreteg is the first adventurer to take action, attempting to create a ramp to allow the newly-arrived beasts and their riders to reach Ulamog. However, the stone comprising the cavern proves to be vulnerable to the titan's aura of decay - some of the knights attempt to utilize the ramp to approach the Eldrazi, but they are betrayed by the very ground they stand upon as it turns to chalk, leaving them to fall into the abyss. Furthermore, the very act of shaping mana in the presence of Ulamog proves to be a strenuous task for Goreteg, and he takes 7 (2d4) points of damage - a harsh reminder of the threat that their adversary poses should it escape.

Ivan has more familiarity with the Silverpaw forces, and he attempts to direct them to attack Ulamog in a mighty charge. Unfortunately, the knight does not have much experience commanding such a large force, and many of the knights are unable to fully act on his orders. This leaves them vulnerable to the Eldrazi's attacks as they are unable to dodge in a coordinated fashion. As their acting commander, Ivan is somewhat insulated from a direct attack, but he still suffers a glancing blow for 5 (1d6) damage. It also appears that the summoned knights' morale has somewhat suffered as a result of their unsuccessful charge.

Fortunately, there is a silver lining to the failed attacks against the Eldrazi, as Illenen is able to further analyze the Eldrazi's actions and compare it to his experiences elsewhere in the ruins. He takes a moment to collect his thoughts and analyze the situation. A few items seem particularly relevant:
  • Firstly, the ritual: as far as Illenen can tell, it wasn't fully completed. Ulamog seems... less Eldrazi-ish than Illenen recalls the great monsters being. Still massive and terrifying, but it seems like the ritual was less a true resurrection and more necromantic in nature, as if many corpses were merely stitched together in the form of an Eldrazi. As a result, it seems like unlike a true Eldrazi, this risen facsimile would be vulnerable to any attacks that would be particularly effective against the undead.
  • Secondly, Ulamog is hungry. Every time a creature is turned to chalk, Ulamog seems to be a bit more, as if it is feeding on the carnage and drained vitality. As it is, it seems like the battle is at a stalemate - while the adventurers are able to inflict blows upon the titan, every adventurer that falls seems to bolster it further. If they plan to win, they'll need to do something big to outpace the Eldrazi's rate of growth. Starving it would also be an option, but.... not an advisable one, given how much damage it would inflict if left alone.
  • Thirdly, it seems as if Zendikar itself trembles in rage at the unwelcome invader. In this cavern, deep beneath the surface, it seems like Zendikar itself would be willing to assist if only it were asked.
Challenge: continue the fight! Think of a strategy to finish off Ulamog, or a way to buy time to implement that strategy.
Restriction: the more Ulamog eats, the stronger it gets. Incorporate some way to minimize casualties.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior experience fighting Eldrazi or other massive adversaries. Additionally, Illenen gets an extra WWUU to utilize.

Next update tentatively planned for 2/17. As always, if you're going to be busy, feel free to let me know.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There were problems, no doubt. They needed to regroup, before the loses will overwhelm them. The fight here was unlike what Illenen faced during the war - while the brood was coordinated as if a single creature, they could still be divided and dealt in smaller groups. But still, the basic principles of skirmish should hold: do not lose your head, do not charge out of formation and use environment.

While Illenen starts to shout and signal with sword the riders to fall back and concentrate on the other side of chamber, he thinks of the last principle. The remaining forces will not do and Ulamog will - sooner or later - escape. But knight could not ignore the signals of the land. There was this theory, that the Roil was a defense reaction of Zendikar against the Eldrazi. And Illenen was rather sure, that at least something similiar might appear in cave soon. But to make it not only deadly, but also useful, defenders would need to be much more versed in magic then Illenen and probably then Goreteg. But those riders were Silverpaws, weren't they? One of the orders, who sported some some knowledgable mages among them. But first things first: Illenen coordinates the disengage from Titan, to prepare for the next, more thoughtful attack.

Reroute Maneuver
Instant (R)
Exile all creatures target player controls. At the beginning of that player's next combat step return those creatures under that player's control tapped and attacking player or planeswalker of your choice. (Creatures can't attack their controler or planeswalkers under that player's control.)

Most of the riders regrouped quickly. They needed uplifting and even more - a plan.
"Who is a commander here!?" asks Illenen with a stern voice. "I need to speak with them!"
Awaiting answer, knight looks for Goreteg. Hopefully minotaur is still alive.

——

EDIT: Found typo.
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
1/3
INV:
Food
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RaikouRider

@Lorn Asbord Schutta

Flavor: 3 - Absolutely on point!
Design: 3 - Great idea and has never been done before. Seems like quite a trick in multiplayer, though for duels this seems like a delay tactic.
Development: 1 - Unfortunately this is where the ugly begins. The execution of this falls flat. When during the combat phase do the creatures return? I'm assuming it's during the declare attackers step. This probably doesn't need to cost four colored mana (similar effects that make all of a player's creatures disappear for a turn cost 5W). I think the amount of mana this costs is correct, but it doesn't need to be this much colored mana. Offensively, this can also make creatures unable to block for two combat phases when played with proper timing. Don't get me wrong, the idea is great. It just needs refining.
Luck: 2 - {1} + {1} - Oh no!
Total: 9

Ivan's lack of experience as a commanding officer showed; his forces' strikes were anything but unified. Rather than their blades colliding all at once, they swung at the Eldrazi titan in waves, allowing the behemoth to parry many of them. Their giant foe slashed an implement that could only be described as a claw toward Ivan, a cacophony of pained roars surrounding him as many of his troops vanished.

While he and Sky were able to avoid direct contact with the claw, it grazed them both. Where Sky was struck, a hole in his silver fur remained, exposing a thin layer of chalk atop where the wound was. Even Ivan himself didn't come out of this unscathed - he was starting to lose feeling in his upper right arm. He had planned on pressing an advantage, but there was no such advantage to press. "Fall back - shields up!" the injured acting commander cried. "We need to regroup!" Another mistake like that, and he would have all their blood on his hands...if he even made it out alive.

Shields Up 2W
Instant {U}
Blocking creatures gain indestructible until end of turn.
Draw a card.
Sheet
Show
Hide
2/2

HP: 8/12
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
Show
Hide
Artifact {M}
"YES."
Sanguine Scales
Show
Hide
Sanguine Scales
Artifact (U)

slimytrout

Flavor: 3. Makes sense.
Design: 2.5. Definitely playing into the same space as Unbreakable Formation and Rootborn Defenses but the blocking part is new. That's probably because blocking tricks aren't very fun or flexible, but the addition of a cantrip ameliorates that somewhat.
Development: 2. I don't think this would get played much, since it's pretty weak. Cards like this tend to be best in weenie decks (which is why the aforementioned cards are both designed for such decks) but those decks aren't typically trying to block much so it doesn't have an obvious fit.
Luck: 6
Total: 13.5

---

Goreteg is badly wounded again, so he is not unhappy to hear the call to retreat. As he does so, he digs his Summoner's Staff into the earth and pulls up a crude earthen wall to temporarily protect them while they regroup. Goreteg has fought enough baloths to know that it won't last long, but at least it will give them a moment to catch their breath. Speaking of which, Goreteg takes another bite of Food to replenish his health.

Earthen Wall 1G
Creature - Wall (C)
Defender
When Earthen Wall dies, you may search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. If you do, shuffle your library.
0/3
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Trample

3/3

HP: 7/14 (+1/+1 counter - 0 rounds remaining)
Inventory (weight=8):

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

Mookie

slimytrout:
Flavor: 3 - "I hide behind a rock!"
Design: 3 - a chump blocker // delayed ramp spell, with some sacrifice synergies.
Development: 3 - might be possible to push it a little more (see Primal Druid, which doesn't have the defender clause), but seems totally fine.
Luck: 8 (4+4) - this is the rockiest rock that ever rocked.
Total: 18

Outcomes and Challenges
(@RaikouRider, @Lorn Asbord Schutta, @slimytrout)
The battle continues to rage. Summoned forces continue to fight back against the Eldrazi menace, but they are slowly being pushed back by Ulamog's onslaught. With every fighter that falls, the titan's force seems to grow a little stronger, a little more ceaseless. Even weakened, it is clear why it was once worshipped as a god. As they endure the relentless pressure, the adventurers continue to search for a way to gain an advantage.

Illenen is the first to act. Making use of his collected knowledge of the Eldrazi, he begins to attempt to rally the Silverpaw forces to coordinate a new maneuver. However, as a knight from a different order, he is unfamiliar with the Silverpaws' standard maneuvers, and his attempts merely cause confusion, resulting in more casualties as the knights are distracted during another of the Eldrazi's attacks. A stray tentacle swipes at him in the disarray, inflicting 4 (2d4) points of damage.

However, Ivan is able to take control of the situation - although he was inexperienced as a commander at the beginning of the battle, he is rapidly gaining experience. Shouting a few commands, the surviving knights fall back and assume a defensive position, waiting for an opening to present itself. A new strategy, a weak point presenting itself, or something else... Something has to happen for the battle to swing in their favor.

After the remaining forces assume their defensive stances, Goreteg begins to commune with the earth and create a more fortified position to strike from. As he works the stone, he finds it being abnormally responsive - it seems Zendikar wishes to help the defenders slay the Eldrazi titan. Soon, a great wall is formed to protect the injured from Ulamog and allow them to attack more safely. Goreteg is also able to fashion stone weaponry to replace what had been lost in the battle, in addition to stone armor for himself which grants him an additional 4 (2d4) temporary hit points.

However, that isn't all that Goreteg does while shaping the stone - much more importantly, he senses a distant rumbling. It feels... familiar, and angry. Very, very angry, as if Zendikar itself were crying out in rage. The Roil. While it is rare for it to penetrate this far underground, the current situation is already far from normal. If the defending forces can hold out long enough for Zendikar to assist, that may be the miracle they need to turn the tide. However, The Roil is a fickle phenomenon, and counting on it for anything is an extraordinarily reckless plan.

Challenge: The Roil is coming! You can try to shape it if you want, otherwise brace for impact.
Restriction: None... but keep in mind that The Roil is still going to be extremely hazardous, even if it is (probably) on your side.
Bonus: +1 if you make use of prior experience interacting with The Roil. Also, Goreteg gets an additional RRGG this round.

Other Stuff
....it feels like half the rolls vs Ulamog have been crits, one way or another. Still, if you want to have a swingy, splashy fight, the finale is probably the place for it. Next update tentatively planned for 2/21.

RaikouRider

Ivan's snap decision to turtle up saved most of his platoon. For some of his troops, even a sturdy shield augmented by magic wasn't enough to save them; several knights and Sky-clones disappeared, but there were still many more of them at his command. As they were holding their stance, some of their ranks broke formation due to their mounts losing balance. Ivan was wondering what was going on, then he realized what was coming.

The Roil.

Zendikar's response to unwanted stimuli, the Roil was critical in repelling the Eldrazi threat before. No surprise that it would be this time, as well. The Roil often did not know friend from foe, and relying on it would be a dead man's folly. He had to make a move, and soon.

While he felt bad for the souls trapped in the Sanguine Scales, he had no other options. He absorbed the energy of one of them into himself, accelerating his rate of healing. Once that had taken effect, he wracked his brain for a spell that would help in such a dire circumstance. Then he remembered a single scripture he ran into when first exploring the ruins. Inspired by its words, shaped a white rune in the face of a lion, the rune shining from his head. He hoped that would be enough to protect his forces...

Seal of Solace 1W
Enchantment {U}
Sacrifice Seal of Solace: Prevent all damage a source of your choice would deal this turn.

ooc: Using Clue for this post.
Sheet
Show
Hide
2/2

HP: 10/12
Inv:
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
Show
Hide
Artifact {M}
"YES."
Sanguine Scales
Show
Hide
Sanguine Scales
Artifact (U)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”