MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/6/21 is Vampiric Tutor.

Let's reprint THIS art and flavor text next time. Bless Shauku, that creepy, creepy lady.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/7/21 is Lifetap.

Sheesh. I don't even think this was in color pie at the time.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Good old "my enemy does this thing so I can do that thing when my enemy is involved". The old color pie was barely even a guideline for the first six(?) Years of magic.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/10/21 is Viashino Runner.

This card is an evergreen-French-vanilla but has never been printed with a keyword.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

Boggart Brute was a hint this would never get printed with the keyword, but Ferocious Tigorilla has no subtlety about it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/12/21 is Gwendlyn Di Corci.

This card's art is apparently based on a Seattle-area performance artist from the 90s who used... risque themes.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/13/21 is Tidal Flats.

I, uh. Forgot about this one. And I have a soft spot for Fallen Empires.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

It's always amazing to me how unformed the color pie used to be.

The entire heart of magic is based on one simple rule that distinguishes it from other games: there are 5 colors — and each of these colors can do various things either well, ok, poorly, or not at all. But the pie used to be so flimsy and unframed.

When you make cards, remember the pie is the heart of the game. Ignoring it is ignoring what makes magic Magic: the colors are a fundamental part of the game, and without them, it wouldn't be magic.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/17/21 is Tenth District Guard.

I'll take "Effects That Are Least Useful at Sorcery Speed" for $200.

user_938036

I love what they did with this card. Its not something we can reasonably expect to ever see again due to the new block structure. For anyone unaware. We get images of the same person over the course of the three sets. With the first two being quotes from her and the last being a quote from Tajic that names her. She's Mileva.

Tenth District Veteran
Tenth District Legionnaire

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
I love what they did with this card. Its not something we can reasonably expect to ever see again due to the new block structure. For anyone unaware. We get images of the same person over the course of the three sets. With the first two being quotes from her and the last being a quote from Tajic that names her. She's Mileva.

Tenth District Veteran
Technically, Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, and War of the Spark were made under the current set model. R&D can kind of just make blocks when they feel like it, although it unfortunately has yet to happen again.

I do really like the flavor of these cards but I wish the Legionnaire was a bit bigger (and cost more, concurrently) to make it more of a linear progression.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago

Tenth District Veteran
Technically, Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, and War of the Spark were made under the current set model. R&D can kind of just make blocks when they feel like it, although it unfortunately has yet to happen again.

I do really like the flavor of these cards but I wish the Legionnaire was a bit bigger (and cost more, concurrently) to make it more of a linear progression.
Were getting it later this year, with two Innistrad sets back to back after the D&D set and Strixhaven are released.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/18/21 is Abandoned Outpost.

The alphabetically first card!!!

user_938036

Abandon is listed before Abandoned making this the third card alphabetically. I'm not sure why a " " is counted as alphabetically before "a" but that's the metric used by wizards. Also, I'm mildly shocked there is no aardvark, I just assumed there was one.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

There really should be an aardvark, but the Anteater type got switched to Pangolin for whatever reason.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/20/21 is Time Bomb.

A shockingly modern-feeling design. I love both the trippy arts.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I prefer Amy's art over George's, but both are pretty awesome.

Clockwork Explosive 2
Artifact (R)
2, T: Put a fuse counter on Clockwork Explosive.
2, T, Exile Clockwork Explosive: Exile target permanent with a converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of fuse counters on Clockwork Explosive.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/22/21 is Phantom Nishoba.

Apart from having the archaic form of lifelink this feels shockingly modern as well.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I think the Nishoba are the most underutilized of the different species of cat people in MTG.

We have the basic cat warriors from Dominaria, not used much, but had a couple of major characters, and are usually found on Jamuura,
Then there is their near relatives the Panther Warriors of the burning isles, also had a couple of major characters including a planeswalker. They were also referenced in the Dominaria set.

Then there are the Leonin that are all over the place, we've encountered them on both Theros and Alara.
Also on Alara we have the Nacatl, which appear to be a close relative of the Leonin. With the Nacatl looking more jaguar or cloud leopard like in coloration.

But then there are the Nishoba. We don't really know a lot about them at all. We know only of one plane they exist on, namely Dominaria. We know they are rare and seem to prefer colder climates. We also know they are friggin' huge, comparable to giants in size. We've only ever gotten four cards depicting them, two from Invasion (Armored Guardian and Sabertooth Nishoba), one in Judgment (the above shown Phantom Nishoba), and one from Coldsnap (Arctic Nishoba). What little we can glean from their art is that they appear to be humanoid sabercats, highly muscular, and appear to come from the northern parts of The Domains. With a separate population having previously lived on Otaria, that had gone extinct by the time of Judgment.

As such....

Risen Nishoba 4BB
Creature - Zombie Cat Beast
Menace
3B, sacrifice a creature: Return Risen Nishoba from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
5/5

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

I'm surprised you're talking about that aspect of the card. I thought it was more popular as a member of the "Phantom" tribe (Phantom Centaur, Phantom Flock) and others). It's a kinda-cool way to implement a kinda-Forcefield for creatures. It also works well with Spikes and similar mechanics.

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

The phantom ability was kinda problematic with Glorious Anthem at least at the casual level because it made the creatures so hard to deal with since not even removing all the counters would be enough. I felt -1/-1 counters would have been the better way to make the ability work as intended, but eventually we got the Oathsworn Knight ability to fix it for +1/+1 counters as well.

I recognize this ability also as one of the most frequently to be suggested as a custom keyword ability under a dozen different names. : )

I've always been a fan of the Nishoba as the obscure creatures they are. Without the GCTU I'd totally miss Armored Guardian from their ranks every time.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
I'm surprised you're talking about that aspect of the card. I thought it was more popular as a member of the "Phantom" tribe (Phantom Centaur, Phantom Flock) and others). It's a kinda-cool way to implement a kinda-Forcefield for creatures. It also works well with Spikes and similar mechanics.
I'm a fantasy geek with a love for both dragons and humanoid species. Lol.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

The way you can break the Phantoms by putting toughness pumping auras on them feels like the entire point of them to me. giggle. They even feel more flavourful that way - they still resist long after you've destroyed their bodies.

To cure that:
Exorcist 2002 ww
Creature - Floof Cleric
Expel (When this creature deals combat damage to a creature with printed zero toughness or * toughness, destroy that creature.)
2/2

Phantom Centaur became seriously iconic without that hack, still a good card

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/24/21 is Splintering Wind.

Tokens with cumulative upkeep - eesh.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/26/21 is Giant Strength.

I would always reprint Maniacal Rage over this, for both flavor and functional reasons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”