Let's Brew: Syrix, Phoenix Stuff

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 weeks ago

Y'all I don't have a rakdos deck and can never keep one built. Do we think Syrix has enough support to be playable? Do I need to do circus tricks like making giant changelings? What do I even wanna do with phoenixes?

Tags:

pokken

Post by pokken » 3 weeks ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 weeks ago
There was a community build about a year ago viewtopic.php?t=59535
I feel like it has like 30 fewer phoenixes than I want, which is disappointing :D

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 weeks ago

First off the hop, it doesn't really have to be Phoenix tribal kindred, but I think that's a way to make it happen. Second, most phoenixes are kind of bad (though, that shouldn't stop us from playing them).

I think Skarrgan Firebird has the highest power of any phoenix (with bloodthirst trigger), so if we want to make Syrix's triggers count, we're going to need to have something like that and then juice up the power (possibly with equipment). Lifelink also wouldn't go amiss, here. I think the best way to do this (kidding, it's not the best way) is to play Endless Scream.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 weeks ago

Phoenix Typal is hard, and as I've brewed Syrix a few times but never pulled the trigger on it I think it's because so many Phoenixes are bad, and they also sort of all glut around 4MV which makes the deck clunky and awkward. A few call-outs:

- A few Phoenixes (Phoenixy? Phoneix?) that are especially important are Skyfire Phoenix (functionally loops with Syrix ad nauseum), Phoenix Chick (cheapest Phoenix), and Everquill Phoenix (the only other typal Phoenix card).
- Syrix lets the Phoenix deal damage equal to its power, so cheap ways to grow power are good. I'd consider the option to hook your creatures up with stuff like Blade of the Bloodchief. That also makes Deathtouch pretty attractive, so Venomous Changeling and possibly even Cairn Wanderer are interesting and equipment that grants Deathtouch like Basilisk Collar is similarly so.
- You're probably going to want every sacrifice outlet under the sun, so that you can kill your own Phoenixes at will to recur Syrix and try to juke exile-based removal, which is going to be extra crippling to you.
- You can cast Syrix as an instant with its trigger, but it is still casting - you're going to probably want to invest in tons of cost reducers like Urza's Incubator, Ruby Medallion, Bontu's Monument to cheat out your creatures. Its hard to go infinite here, but not impossible - you might get there with some Rube Golberg pile of Pitless Plunderer, Xorn, newcomer Warren Soultrader, maybe Mana Echoes?

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 weeks ago

Yeah I think I'm gonna abandon this since the natural build is "killing every important creature" which is not my favorite archetype :( Bleh. And phoenixes do seem to mostly suck :D

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 weeks ago

pokken wrote:
2 weeks ago
And phoenixes do seem to mostly suck :D
This is, tbh, what stopped me from building it. The real struggle is that most Phoenixes have prohibitive costs (Immortal Phoenix, Magma Phoenix... Skarrgan Firebird), no impact (Flamewake Phoenix -- which I play in Bhaal right now because its only job is to die repeatedly), or are very specific in their execution and won't fit into just any old deck (like Aurora Phoenix or Everquill Phoenix which... like, I guess?).

The truth of the matter is, almost none of them are playable as Phoenixes, rather than as a rider on a mechanic you're building around.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”