May CCL Round 3 - Coming Fruits

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 4 weeks ago

May CCL Top 6/Round 3
"Coming Fruits"

Banner made from Orchard Strider, The Shire and Bountiful Harvest, by Wizards of the Coast and Raoul Vitale, Jonas De Ro, Jason Chan, respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme
To balance the dryness of April, it is a Flowers month here at CCL. While the combative nature of Magic gives little room to appreciate delicate beauty of petals, this month's challanges will be inspired by them, sometimes straightforward, sometimes less.

Challenge
Design a card that adds mana and creates one or more Food tokens.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Food token is a predefined token; you can read more about it here.
  • Your submission doesn't need to do both at once; likewise, it can do any of required things either repeatedly or only once; finally, it can add mana or create Food tokens for other players as well.
  • The card itself must add mana; importantly, card creating Food tokens and somehow giving Food tokens an ability to add mana doesn't meet the challange.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Wednesday, May 22nd, 12:00 EST.
Participants
@marioguy3
@KB52665
@AnotherAlias
@void_nothing
@netn10
@Komandon

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 8th-14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 17th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (May 17th-22nd)
  • Top 6 Critiques (May April 25th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 25th - 29th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due June 1st)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate six other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 weeks ago

Bump.
@marioguy3
@KB52665
@AnotherAlias
@void_nothing
@netn10
@Komandon

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 weeks ago

Harbinger of Bountiful Harvest GW
Enchantment Creature - Dryad (Mythic)
Bestow 1GW
Spells and abilities can't cause you to sacrifice Harbinger of Bountiful Harvest or enchanted creature.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a permanent, creates a Food token, then adds GW.
Karametra provides. Always.
2/2

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 3 weeks ago

Graktan, the Fieldscar 2W
Legendary Creature - Painformed Scout (M)
Skulk
Whenever Graktan deals combat damage to a player, create that many Blood tokens and that many Food tokens. If you control a red permanent, add that much R. If you control a green permanent, add that much G. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
1/4
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 3 weeks ago

Giving with Benefits R
Instant (rare)
Each opponent creates a Food token. Then add RR for each for each Food created in this way. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as phases and steps end.
It's not selfish to getting a little something in return for being charitable. — Tibalt

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 3 weeks ago

Viktor of the Onion Patch 1{b/g}
Legendary Creature — Rabbit Warlock (R)
Haste
, Sacrifice a Human: Create a Blood token.
, Exile target creature card from a graveyard: Create a Food token.
Tap an untapped Blood and an untapped Food you control: Add bg.
Some villains have layers. His are all rotten.
2/1
Last edited by KB52665 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 weeks ago

Fruitful Elf
Enchantment Creature - Elf (Rare)
Lifelink
Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control create a Food token and add .
Sacrifice three Food tokens: Draw two cards, then discard a card. Activate only once each turn.
4/4
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 weeks ago

Klamatfhe, Silver-Tongued Serpent
Creature — Snake
When Klamatfhe, Silver-Tongued Serpent enters, create a Food token.
Whenever you sacrifice a Food, each opponent exiles cards from the top of their library until they exile a nonland card. You may cast a spell from among the nonland cards exiled this way until end of turn. Then add three mana of any one color. Spend this mana only to cast spells from exile.
2/4

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And the round is closed! Please critique each other contestant and provide a top 3. The critique period is until Saturday, May 25th, 12:00 EST
@marioguy3
@KB52665
@AnotherAlias
@void_nothing
@netn10
@Komandon

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 3 weeks ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
netn10 - This is, or at least I think is meant to be, a brutal stax card, which I don't know how I feel about at two/three mana. In any event, this should probably be bigger/cost more and have some templating changes to force the sacrifice only of non-Food permanents and allow players to keep the mana the entire turn.

Komandon - Very clever stuff for multiplayer and a justifiable reason for red to make Food tokens! This should lose the mana-keeping clause (and give it to netn10's entry) imo because as an instant, you can just play it whenever you actually need the mana anyway.

KB52665 - Rabbit Warlock is a funny mental image but this card is deadly serious. Certainly a quirky little engine that depends on having Humans to sac. Would like to see the techs and combos this card would create!

marioguy3 - Oof, this card is out of color in multiple ways - lifelink is white/black, not green, and the activated ability is blue-red even with Food involved. No use of the constellation ability word for an ability that falls under that umbrella?

AnotherAlias - Missing the legendary type? Also, is this intentionally based on the serpent of the Garden of Eden? Pretty clever flavor and I really like the sacrificing-a-Food trigger even though it's quite wordy. Giving you basically a Black Lotus pop to cast the cards is powerful but a good power limiter compared to cast for free effects.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. AnotherAlias
2. KB52665
3. Komandon
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Reminder for the critiques and top 3.
@marioguy3
@KB52665
@AnotherAlias
@netn10
@Komandon

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 3 weeks ago

Top 3:
1. Netn10
2. Void_nothing
3. Marioguy3

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 weeks ago

netn10: This is quite very powerful. Get this out turn one somehow, and opponent will lose a land. This is a strong build around stax type card despite providing the food token.

void_nothing: This is a pretty cool package of unique structure. I like the added skulk to potentially turn into a power. The new creature type is a welcome addition too.

Komandon: Even in 1v1, this is a decent ritual. In four-player games, this adds six red mana. This is hyper powerful, and possibly even better than Dark Ritual . This probably needed to be a sorcery to be a starter.

KB52665: I think this is flavorfully genius design. The haste though might be a bit too strong.

Another Alias: I like the design, and stealing things from the opponents library is typically fun and random.

Top 3:
3rd place: AnotherAlias
2nd place: KB52665
1st place: void_nothing
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 3 weeks ago

Been busy every day this week. So I'll do the top three now and if I can critiques.

Top 3:
1st: KB52665
2nd: void_nothing
3rd: marioguy3

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 weeks ago

Komandon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
3 weeks ago
Giving with Benefits R
Instant (rare)
Each opponent creates a Food token. Then add RR for each for each Food created in this way. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as phases and steps end.
It's not selfish to getting a little something in return for being charitable. — Tibalt
In a 4 players game, this card is insane. In a 2 players game, this is just fine. Giving food isn't a significate drawback. The flavor text is cute for Tibalt, and it misses quatation marks.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Fruitful Elf
Enchantment Creature - Elf (Rare)
Lifelink
Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control create a Food token and add .
Sacrifice three Food tokens: Draw two cards, then discard a card. Activate only once each turn.
4/4
Lifelink on a mono-green is a big no. I don't like it but it is what it is. The second ability is powerul on a 4/4 for 4, but not broken. The third ability is more blue than green. The name is generic. All in all, it's a powerful package and I do like the connentions between enchantments and foods, but I'm not sure about the lifelink and the blue-ish ability.
KB52665
Show
Hide
KB52665 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Viktor of the Onion Patch 1{b/g}
Legendary Creature — Rabbit Warlock (R)
Haste
, Sacrifice a Human: Create a Blood token.
, Exile target creature card from a graveyard: Create a Food token.
Tap an untapped Blood and an untapped Food you control: Add bg.
Some villains have layers. His are all rotten.
2/1
This card is perfectly . Rabbit Warlock is cool, the name is interesting and the flavor text is 20 out of 10. Haste should appear more on black and green cards. The three activated abilities merge perfectly into a cooked up flavor. My only issue with it is that the third ability might get too crazy. Other then that, I'm in love! And also a BG Human-centric commander is a neat idea!
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
3 weeks ago
Klamatfhe, Silver-Tongued Serpent
Creature — Snake
When Klamatfhe, Silver-Tongued Serpent enters, create a Food token.
Whenever you sacrifice a Food, each opponent exiles cards from the top of their library until they exile a nonland card. You may cast a spell from among the nonland cards exiled this way until end of turn. Then add three mana of any one color. Spend this mana only to cast spells from exile.
2/4
The name goes hard and the flavor is perfect. No rarity so I'll assume it's a rare. Abzan stealing is a cool concept for a commander, with white providing the food and not much of the stealing. Any sac outlet would make this card very good, but probably not broken.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
3 weeks ago
Graktan, the Fieldscar 2W
Legendary Creature - Painformed Scout (M)
Skulk
Whenever Graktan deals combat damage to a player, create that many Blood tokens and that many Food tokens. If you control a red permanent, add that much R. If you control a green permanent, add that much G. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
1/4
There's a lot going on here. Fieldscar, Painformed Scout, skulk, blood and food-matters and red-green with white in the center. A flavor text would have helped. I really like skulk and creating two kinds of tokens on hit is a suprisingly unique concept. Not a lot of cards exists that creates even one token on hit. This card is certainly unique, and a Naya food-blood-ramp-voltron-artifacts deck is something that I would love to build around.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: KB52665
2nd: AnotherAlias
3rd: void_nothing

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 weeks ago

Top 3:
3rd: Komandon
2nd: KB52665
1st: void_nothing

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And the round is closed, with KB52665, AnotherAlias, void_nothing and netn10 advancing.
The next round will be posted shortly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”