Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL December Signups/Round 1

"The Power of the Pentacle"

Wandering Mage, taken from magicthegathering.com, by Pete Venters and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mages of Many Colors Month here in the CCL! Each color has a characteristic creature type and an iconic creature type. Now a lot of people theorize they each have a spellcaster creature type as well! This month will make use of those five types.

Challenge
Design a Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, Shaman, or Druid creature card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Your card's color or colors do not matter.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, December 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (December 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (December 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due December 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (December 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due December 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (December 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due December 30th)
  • Final (January, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Ulmhurm Grovetender -- 2GG
Creature - Treefolk Druid
Trample
At the beginning of your pre-combat main phase, you may have any number of Forest lands you control become a copy of Ulmhurm Grovetender until end of turn.
"The branches twisted and curled like fists! The very wilderness tried to thwart us!" -- Kyessa Longiers
3/3
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 3 years ago

Demonic Binder
Creature - Human Warlock (R)
Menance
When Demonic Binder deals combat damage to a player, if it is not a Demon, you may search your library for a Demon card and exile it. If you do, shuffle your library. As long as a Demon card is exiled this way, Demonic Binder is a copy of that Demon card, except that it is also a Human Warlock and its power and toughness are 4/4.
"By your blood may the binding be done!"
3/3

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Hellfire Evoker 1BR
Wither, menace
Whenever Hellfire Evoker attacks, you may have it gain +3/+0 until end of turn. If you do, it deals 1 damage to itself at the end of combat.
A power that none but the damned would consider.
2/3

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Seamus the Suspicious
Legendary Creature — Orc Cleric (R)
First strike
1: Seamus the Suspicious deals 1 damage to another target creature, if that creature is attacking or blocking. Any player may activate this ability.
3: Remove Seamus from combat. Any player may activate this ability.
"I tried but I couldn't save them. I read their last rites. Best not to look."
4/2
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Protector of Endless Horizons 2G
Creature - Human Druid (Mythic)
T: Add one mana of any color.
1W: Target land gains indestructible until end of turn.
2U: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put that card into your hand.
3B: Destroy target enchantment you don't control.
4R: Protector of Endless Horizons Horizons deals 2 damage to each other artifact creature.
1/1

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Augur of Wards 1w
Creature - Bird Cleric (u)
Flying
Augur of Wards gets +1/+1 for each color it has protection from.
Sacrifice Augur of Wards: Target creature you control gaina protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
2/1

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Servant of Power 1UB
Creature - Vampire Warlock (U)
As Servant of Power enters the battlefield, you may choose a legendary creature. If you do, Servant of Power has all abilities of that creature.
Whenever a creature chosen by Servant of Power leaves the battlefield, sacrifice Servant of Power.
3/3

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Vengeful Evoker
Creature — Viashino Shaman (R)
Protection from White and Blue
Whenever a permament enters the battlefield, if it entered from exile, Vengeful Evoker deals X damage to that permament's controller, where X is converted mana cost of that permament.
"Your sorcery is against the ancient law of our land. I can't stop you, but I will make you pay for it.
2/1

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Staffbreaker Mage 3R
Creature - Human Wizard {U}
First strike
When Staffbreaker Mage enters or leaves the battlefield, choose one -
• Sacrifice an artifact. When you do, Staffbreaker Mage deals 2 damage to any target.
• Destroy target artifact. Staffbreaker Mage deals 2 damage to you.
2/1

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Leviathan Listener 3U
Creature--Merfolk Shaman (Rare)
Hexproof from instants
T: Until end of turn, another target creature you control becomes a Leviathan with hexproof, trample, and power and toughness each equal to the number of cards in your hand (It retains its other abilities)
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

This round is closed! Please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top if necessary.

OneAndOnly
Jimmy Groove
Ink-Treader
Pygyzy
netn10
Henlock
slimytrout
Lorn Asbord Schutta
MonoRedMage
kwanyeegor-ii

Round 2 to come.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Reviews and Critiques
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
3 years ago
Demonic Binder
Menance
When Demonic Binder deals combat damage to a player, if it is not a Demon, you may search your library for a Demon card and exile it. If you do, shuffle your library. As long as a Demon card is exiled this way, Demonic Binder is a copy of that Demon card, except that it is also a Human Warlock and its power and toughness are 4/4.
"By your blood may the binding be done!"
3/3
This feels a little round-a-bout in several ways. It's like that old joke about how a horse is just like an elephant, except for the nose, ears, teeth, skin ... etc. It copies the Demon .. except it's still a Warlock, with what's likely a different P/T than either the Warlock form or the Demon form ... it'd be easier just to say it gains all the abilities of the Demon card. I feel a little confused as to whether I ever want to search out more than one Demon. Johnny likes the combo potential, but Timmy hates that his powerful creatures will never see play.
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Hellfire Evoker 1BR
Wither, menace
Whenever Hellfire Evoker attacks, you may have it gain +3/+0 until end of turn. If you do, it deals 1 damage to itself at the end of combat.
A power that none but the damned would consider.
2/3
A 5/3 for 3 is pretty potent, especially when you consider that it has wither (meaning that damage sticks around forever.) The drawback is negligible. It's a little easier to comprehend as simply "gets +3/-1 until end of turn."
Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Seamus the Suspicious
Legendary Creature — Orc Cleric (R)
First strike
1: Seamus the Suspicious deals 1 damage to another target creature, if that creature is attacking or blocking. Any player may activate this ability.
3: Remove Seamus from combat. Any player may activate this ability.
"I tried but I couldn't save them. I read their last rites. Best not to look."
4/2
The first ability is usually worded as "deals one damage to target attacking or blocking creature" -- I'm not certain what distinction you may be trying to draw. (Intervening-if clauses make it appear like a different mechanic, but functionally plays the same.) The "any player may activate this ability" on both abilities makes it less than compelling to play with. Boros usually goes for straightforward beaters, not puzzles.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
2U: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put that card into your hand.
4R: Protector of Endless Horizons Horizons deals 2 damage to each other artifact creature.
1/1
Nice little toolbox of a card ... or should I say, multitool? ;)

The abilities aren't bad; the black one initially feels out of color, but since it's on a green body it passes. The red ability is worded strangely, as Protector isn't itself an artifact creature.

The blue ability sits rather innocuously in the middle there; but it's repeatable draw for 3, with possible land ramp (and landfall fun). I'd switch the abilities around so it went 2B - 3R - 4U (with the actual abilities the same). The white ability plays cute with manlands, but it's fine. The "hidden G" ability is also a nice touch.

Overall, it feels a little weak. 1/1's for 3 cmc were barely playable in Revised days (well, okay; Tim), and nowadays I think players would expect something beefier. Maybe if it had a keyword ability or two.

The name's a bit of a mouthful.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Augur of Wards 1w
Flying
Sacrifice Augur of Wards: Target creature you control gaina protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
2/1
You have a slight typo in the second ability.

It's a little lopsided: It doesn't give itself protection, but benefits from it; but also gives another creature protection, without similarly buffing it. As written, the +1/+1 ability feels like it should be open-ended (and it would be, if it were "for each protection ability it has" -- ummmm Artifact Ward?). Since instead it's limited, in the same way Domain is, it really calls for an ability word.

Also, a bit of a nombo -- if you manage to grant it protection from even, say, 3 colors, that'd make it a 5/4 likely can't be blocked or removed by your opponent -- not exactly the thing to get pitched to save another creature.

Also also, call me old school, but a 2/1 flyer for 2 cmc is already pulling a lot of weight. One of these two abilities would be enough; both just pull it in opposite directions.

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Servant of Power 1UB
As Servant of Power enters the battlefield, you may choose a legendary creature. If you do, Servant of Power has all abilities of that creature.
Whenever a creature chosen by Servant of Power leaves the battlefield, sacrifice Servant of Power.
3/3
Oh, this is pretty cool! A Clone that doesn't get upset with the legendary rule. The second ability makes it feel more like a conjoined twin than a servant. I'd probably phrase it as "Whenever the creature chosen..." A 3/3 for 3 cmc is a little big in U/B, so perhaps it should either cost more, or have a P/T of 2/2.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Vengeful Evoker
Whenever a permament enters the battlefield, if it entered from exile, Vengeful Evoker deals X damage to that permament's controller, where X is converted mana cost of that permament.
"Your sorcery is against the ancient law of our land. I can't stop you, but I will make you pay for it.
2/1
You've got a typo in the static ability. Also, the colors in protection abilities aren't capitalized ("protection from white"). I'm also assuming you mean "protection from white and protection from blue," not "protection from "

Red doesn't get protection abilities very often, and when it does, it's usually from red itself. (I think red also ought to get protection from artifacts more frequently, but that's neither here nor there.)

The static ability is a little roundabout; it's a hate-bear against flicker effects. It's very narrow, but also very strong for its mana cost. You're either going to find you opponent doesn't use flicker effects, in which case it's just a beater with maybe evasion, or it completely hoses your opponent's strategy ... orrr since it's not limited to your opponent's creatures, they turn it around and flicker you to death. Not sure I like any of that.

Also, call me old school, but 2/1's for 1 in red are pretty OP.
Top Three
Show
Hide
slimytrout's Servant of Power
Henlock's Augur of Wards
netn10's Protector of Endless Horizons
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Ulmhurm Grovetender -- 2GG
Creature - Treefolk Druid
Trample
At the beginning of your pre-combat main phase, you may have any number of Forest lands you control become a copy of Ulmhurm Grovetender until end of turn.
"The branches twisted and curled like fists! The very wilderness tried to thwart us!" -- Kyessa Longiers
3/3
Very Druidy and balanced. I like it.
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
1/1
Love 5 color green and this is a awesome card.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Augur of Wards 1w
Flying
2/1
Cool bird.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Servant of Power 1UB
3/3
Abilty stealing is one of my favorite mechanics and this is great
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Vengeful Evoker
2/1
Very nice hate card and also gives value for a low cost. nice
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Staffbreaker Mage 3R
Creature - Human Wizard {U}
First strike
When Staffbreaker Mage enters or leaves the battlefield, choose one -
• Sacrifice an artifact. When you do, Staffbreaker Mage deals 2 damage to any target.
• Destroy target artifact. Staffbreaker Mage deals 2 damage to you.
2/1
Very useful and flexible.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Leviathan Listener 3U
Creature--Merfolk Shaman (Rare)
Hexproof from instants
T: Until end of turn, another target creature you control becomes a Leviathan with hexproof, trample, and power and toughness each equal to the number of cards in your hand (It retains its other abilities)
1/1
Reminds me alot of that one card that turns your lands into treefolk.
t3
slimytrout
netn10
oneandonly
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Pygyzy
Show
Hide
Some interesting flavor going on here. This is also a nasty piece of work to just have sitting around, as it dissuades opponents from attacking you as long as you have mana up. And stuff like Grand Abolisher gives you potential tools to ignore the drawbacks on your turn.
netn10
Show
Hide
Frail, but extraordinarily powerful. Putting aside Training Grounds fun, that U ability is a very strong mana sink. W and R are pretty niche, while B is likely to see some use here and there.
Henlock
Show
Hide
This is... something unique, and a bit of a headache. I'm fairly certain that say, protection from everything wouldn't give it +5/+5, but some people will definitely have that question. Protection from all colors is a very rare effect at least, Spectra Ward being the most notable source, so getting this that +5/+5 is at least a task (though one that white can manage). Seems balanced ultimately, just with a bit of quirk.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Interesting Clone variant, especially since it can only 'clone' legendaries. Seems fine at a glance, though I'm sure some disgusting two card combos exist.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Oof, that's some potent blink hate... that ironically can be turned against its controller. Very intriguing.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
A bundle of value. Seems fine. I like the mirroring on the triggered ability.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Interesting. I do think this needs to be blue/green though, since granting trample is definitely out of pie for blue, even if it does have some big tramplers that the flavor here is aimed at.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. MonoRedMage
3. slimytrout

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide

slimytrout- I like the fact that this can be either a vanilla 3/3 (althought those ststs are a bit on the too beefier side for dimir) o a clone. I think this ia complivated enough to be a rare and it surely has what it takes to be a powerful tool.

Lord Asbord Scutta: This lookes very, very powerful. a 2/1 one drop that can't be blocked nor removwd by two colors is too aggressive IMO. The blink-related ability is pretty nice, and I like that it can be turned against ypu.

Monoredmage: At first sight a 2/1 for four with abilities that cost you resources seems pretty bad, but the trigger on leave the battlefield can turn this in a solid tool for control or for sacrificing artifacts for extra value.

kwanyegoe: Probably tjis would work bettet with a fixed set of stats, sinve creature oriented strategies are a bit on the small side regarding hand size. Trample is a bit odd, specially since the creature retains its abilitis.

One and Only: Should this live a whole round it could represent 15 damage worth of power. and I think that's a bit too much. I like the idea but I would do it in a more expensive, over the top mythic. At 4 mana is just too fast.

JimmyGroove' I like the flavor here. Clearly, this guy is chanelling demonic forcas and that feels very, very black. Many demonls coke with drawbacks and coats. so it wull be interesting to see what you can do with it but Demons have a n interesting toolbox of removal and card draw.. A great guy for a demon tribal commander deck.

Ink Treader: While it looks quite underwhelming for a rare, it seems like a very solid player for racing your opponents. Probably should be turnong on after blockers are declared so as to make the most of it.
1. JimmyGroove
2. slimytrout
3. Ink Treader
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly - I assume this is a rare? It's a nice new take on land animation overall. I wish it had a more interesting ability suite than just trample though.

Jimmy Groove - Why does this become a 4/4 when it turns into a Demon when it's a base 3/3? That's my only confusion. The design is great and flavorful otherwise.

Ink-Treader - Whoa! That's clever with wither. All I can say is it's a good use of a keyword.

Pygyzy - That "any player may activate" and the ping ability being so cheap don't seem like fun. Mostly, they would just lead to stalemates where everyone just kills all opposing attackers and blockers before any damage is dealt.

netn10 - This will never not be useful huh? I wouldn't say it's pushed, being a three mana 1/1. Still, all those abilities look pretty great and they all get fueled by the mana ability. Actually, great job overall.

Henlock - Mostly a Johnny card I'd say. Still pretty flavorful although I'd wonder how it'd work if it got protection from everything...

kwanyeegor-ii - Interesting design, and I like the many uses for it in combat. It just feels kind of like it needs to be green.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 - netn10
2 - Henlock
3 - Jimmy Groove

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Someone is tired of losing to Brago, King Eternal in EDH ;) This is a very nasty hate card for just 1 mana. Even without punishing blinking, a Savannah Lions with protection from two different colors is just too much.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I don't know if it was a deliberate choice not to have a "may" in the second ability, but I do think it would lead to some feel-bads, especially because it is really asking to be played in an artifact-heavy deck (the first ability is underpowered on its own) and because it has a LTB trigger as well.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Weird to call it a "listener" when it's transforming things. Also, mono-blue doesn't usually get to grow its creatures like this. Otherwise it's a fun card.
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Wowie. Answer this or die. I don't think this would be fun in limited, and the fact that you're missing a rarity prevents me from knowing how prevalent it would be.
JimmyGroove
Show
Hide
Fun idea, although I don't love the idea of being able to search the card out, since it probably means that you'd just play a single Demon and always copy the same one. Also don't really get why it becomes a 4/4.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Love it. Honestly no real comments.
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
I'm a bit confused by the flavor, in part because "suspicious" has two different meanings -- is it that Seamus suspects other people of wrongdoing, or that he is himself suspected of being a traitor. Anyway, it feels like it would not lead to fun gameplay since it discourages attacking and would lead to stalls.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. Jimmy Groove
3. kwanyeegor-ii

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

1. netn10
2. MonoRedMage
3. Ink-Treader

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

1 slimytrout
2 oneandonly
3 inktreader
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”