February MCC Round 4 (finals) - Channel your rage

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

MCC-2202.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Nashi, Moon Sage's Scion by Valera Lutfullina.)

Feburary MCC Round 4 (finals)

Channel your rage

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

Main Challenge - Design a common creature card with an activated channel ability. The channel ability canNOT have any player draw any cards, for any reason.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card is an enchantment creature with no other card types or supertypes that's not colorless.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card is NOT mono-green, mono-blue, or exactly green-blue.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

Your card must satisfy ALL the following requirements:

It has the "creature" card type and consequently also some power and toughness. (Otherwise it would be a creature with an undefined P/T, which is treated as 0/0, and so it immediately dies the next time SBAs are checked.) It can have any additional card types, supertype, and subtypes, as far as the Main Challenge is concerned.

It is common. This should be straightforward. It can't be an uncommon, a rare, or a mythic.

It has an activated ability that's labeled with the "channel" ability word and that follows the pattern of existing channel abilities:

Channel — [other cost(s)], Discard CARDNAME: [effect].

The channel ability has no card draw in those [other cost(s)] (anyway making drawing cards a cost is hard but not impossible), and most of all no card draw in the [effect] (otherwise it would just be cycling, even though yes, I know they have done it in NEO... when they knew that real cycling would have come in the very next set, SNC, only on five cards but still...)

Only the channel ability must have no card draw. Your card's other abilities CAN draw cards.

All forms of card draw are forbidden in the channel ability: traditional "draw N cards", looting, rummaging, etc... Anything that contains the verb "to draw" and has any number of "cards" as that verb's object.

It doesn't matter who would draw the cards. "Target/each player draws N cards", "An/target/each opponent draws N cards", and similar things are all forbidden in the channel ability.

If even just one of these requirements is not met, the Main Challenge is also not met as a whole, and so your card would be disqualified. Please don't make me do that. I don't want to.

Subchallenge 1

To satisfy Subchallenge 1 ALL the following requirements must be met:

Your card should already have the "creature" card type from the Main Challenge. This Subchallenge requires that it also has the "enchantment" card type.

Your card does NOT have any other card types in the type line except for "Enchantment Creature". No "Artifact Enchantment Creature" for example. Your card can care about other card types in its rules text though.

Your card does NOT have any supertypes in the type line. No "Legendary Creature" for example. (It would be hard to make a common legendary creature, but let's avoid that anyway.) Your card can care about any supertypes in its rules text though.

Your card is NOT colorless. This probably means it won't be a land. Your card can be monocolored or multicolored, both traditional gold and hybrid are fine. It can also care about any colors or being colorless in its rules text.

If even just one of these requirements is not met, the Subchallenge is also not met as a whole.

Subchallenge 2

Your cand can be green, blue, or green-blue if it also has additional colors. For example, a white-blue, black-green, or green-blue-red card passes this subchallenge.

This subchallenge only checks ordinary color as determined by mana cost and color indicator, not color identity. In other words, you can use any green and/or blue mana symbols in the rules text.

• A relevant consequence of the last point is that you CAN use off-color channel costs. You are not required to, but you can if you want. And if you do, those channel costs CAN be mono-green, mono-blue, or exactly green-blue.

If you have any questions, post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Sunday, March 13th 23:59 EDT Monday, March 14th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Wednesday, March 16th 23:59 EDT Saturday, March 19th 23:59 EDT

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@Henlock
@slimytrout

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Less than a day remaining and we still don't have any entries. @Henlock @slimytrout
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Meadowgraze Sika 1W
Enchantment Creature — Elk (C)
Sacrifice Meadowgraze Sika: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to another target creature this turn.
Channel — 1G, Discard Meadowgraze Sika: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to you this turn.
"May your years be as numerous as the sika's spots."
—Traditional blessing

2/2

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

The design deadline has passed and we're still waiting for @Henlock. Automatic 24-hour extension granted.

Show
Hide

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Petalwind Kirin 2w
Enchantment Creature - Kirin (c)
Flying, protection from artifacts
Channel - 1w, Discard Petalwind Kirin: Target permanent you control gains protection from artifacts until end of turn.
Technology does not comprehend beauty. It will never be able to conquer it.
2/1

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Ok, the round is now closed. Both judges will judge both entries. New judging deadline is Saturday, March 19th 23:59 EDT.

Show
Hide

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy probably likes damage prevention most of the psychographics. Jxnny wants to recur this for the channel ability and be immortal via deer. Spike has uses for it in Limited.
(3/3) Elegance - Totally elegant.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - The channel ability being green is a bit off, but it's analogous enough to Fog effects to get a pass. Color and rarity are otherwise fine.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - a nice pair of combat tricks that may come with a body.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The off-color channel is fun, and these old effects have never been combined in quite this way before. The subtlety of the creature half being basically a Seal enchantment vs. the channel half being instant speed is also kind of fun.
(3/3) Flavor - Name rolls off the tongue, flavor text is good, and a sika is a deer so Elk is the right typing.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 23/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes protection but certainly wishes the body were bigger. Jxnny doesn't much care. It could be a roleplayer in Spike's Limited games.
(3/3) Elegance - Can't hold anything against this card. It is simple and clean.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Color and rarity are where they need to be.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - no complaints whatsoever. More or less Limited fodder, but it would perform fine there.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - A newish-feeling mashup of old effects, using the relatively unusual protection from artifacts - kind of a Angelic Curator + Razor Barrier.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Not quite getting the name-to-mechanics connection but the flavor text does connect.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21/25
Totals
Show
Hide
slimytrout 23
Henlock 21
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Judgments complete. I will wait until the judging deadline to officially declare the winner, as judges technically have until then to adjust their scores if they want to.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Petalwind Kirin 2w
Enchantment Creature - Kirin (c)
Flying, protection from artifacts
Channel - 1w, Discard Petalwind Kirin: Target permanent you control gains protection from artifacts until end of turn.
Technology does not comprehend beauty. It will never be able to conquer it.
2/1
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Maybe a little too small for Timmy. I honestly see nothing for Johnny here. Using channel to discard this to some "whenever you discard a card" effect? But it requires a target to even be able to discard it. If he's going to do it, he will do it with channel abilities that doesn't target, so that he will always able to do it at will. To Spike, the rate is probably a bit too low, she would have probably liked something like Stormfront Pegasus better than this in limited, unless the protection from artifacts is really relevant in the format. One mana less for the same stats and evasion is a pretty big discount, especially in the early game or in an aggro deck.
Elegance 3/3 - Very easy to understand. Being an enchantment creature that mechanically hates artifacts is very nice here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - As I've already mentioned, this is a Stormfront Pegasus with upside that's relevant in any set with an artifact (sub)theme, like not only NEO, but also Kaladesh and both Mirrodin blocks. As such, the one-mana cost increase is probably right. The channel ability is a one-shot effect like Apostle's Blessing and Razor Barrier, and has the same cost. Yes, I know the former is Phyrexian mana, but it's still technically a mana value of 2, and you could still cast it for 1W if you want to. I think this card is playable in limited, but I can't see it in competitive constructed, unless it's a sideboard card against artifact-heavy decks, but it's not a big problem for a common. Only few commons see competitive constructed play, and the ones that do are usually low-cost removal and combat tricks, or just busted. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Nothing really new here. We've seen every single of this card before. Angelic Curator, last reprinted in MH2, has even the same exact keywords on a small white creature. The only little thing we've technically never seen is granting protection from artifacts as a channel ability, but this just a detail and while technically new it doesn't feel that original or inspired to me. As I often say, it's a rather easy place to go to, especially in a set like NEO where enchantment vs. artifacts is its whole mechanical foundation. Protection from artifacts has also already been on one-shot granting effects, as you can see on the aforementioned Apostle's Blessing and Razor Barrier.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Name and flavor text are good, and the flavor text is especially good in NEO. Kirin are on Kamigawa, that was already known to me, but I didn't understand why a Kirin in particular would hate artifacts, so I checked the Wiki page. That clarified that with the only exception of Cloudsteel Kirin, Kamigawan Kirin are Kami, and thus Spirits. That makes sense with this being an enchantment, but shouldn't then this card's type line include Spirit? "Enchantment Creature — Kirin Spirit" fits, as confirmed by MSE. As for hating artifacts, it's true that in NEO we've seen that some Kami have embraced technology and others reject it, so maybe this is supposed to be one of the latter. Maybe? The flavor text suggests so.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. Hyphen instead of em dash in the type line and in the channel ability, but no deduction for that.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Meadowgraze Sika 1W
Enchantment Creature — Elk (C)
Sacrifice Meadowgraze Sika: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to another target creature this turn.
Channel — 1G, Discard Meadowgraze Sika: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to you this turn.
"May your years be as numerous as the sika's spots."
—Traditional blessing

2/2
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes to save his creatures by preventing damage to them and his life by preventing damage to himself. Johnny could maybe use this as a free sacrifice, even thought that ability requires a target, so a potential combo based on that looks like it might be disrupted easily enough by removing the target creature in response to the activated ability. Spike sees a bear with upside and she likes those in limited.
Elegance 3/3 - I see no problems here. The mirrored effect in the abilities is very nice.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Damage prevention as an effect is both white and green, no problem. I personally thinks it fits much better in white than green, but I remember Maro saying they switched it back to green because green needed it in gameplay. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Fog costs one mana, as does Holy Day, and both are already common. In addition to that, this is a creature that can do everything creatures do, attack, block, etc... and has added versatility due to differentiating the damage prevention from you and from (another) one of your creatures, so the one-mana cost increase look reasonable to me in both costs. Probably playable in limited, but I can't see this in competitive constructed, though commons are not usually the place to look for that kind of cards. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - As previously mentioned, this is really just a Fog variant on a stick. Almost all sets have some kind of variant on that effect, but I couldn't remember it as a sac effect on a creature, so I searched Gatherer. It turns out I was almost right, the closest existing thing is Blinding Powder, which is also conveniently from the plane of Kamigawa, and five cards with the ability to prevent damage "dealt to and dealt by" something this turn, which is similar but different, also functionally, from what we have here. If you're curious, those five cards are: Cephalid Illusionist, Deftblade Elite, Moonlight Geist, Soratami Cloud Chariot (also from original Kamigawa), and Urborg Phantom. Also, I haven't been able to find any existing cards with off-color channel costs, and this in particular gives you half a point more than it would have been otherwise.
Flavor 3/3 - This is a deep cut to me (if I remember well the technical MTG design terminology), that is something that made sense even if I didn't even know what a sika is. I had, as usual, to google it, and Wikipedia literally enlightened me just by reading the first paragraph. The photos on the right also make the spots in the fur, and how many they are, just evident. The flavor text becomes excellent under that light. In MTG deer have the creature type Elk, and the name looks very good to me. This fits perfectly with the flavor of NEO.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. I particularly appreciate the correct use of em dashes in all three different instances.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 23.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
Henlock: 21
slimytrout: 23.5

Show
Hide

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Final results.

Henlock: 21 + 21 = 42
slimytrout: 23.5 + 23 = 46.5

The winner of the February MCC is @slimytrout! Congratulations!

I'll probably see you all again as host in a few months.

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”