void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL February Signups/Round 2

"Place With No Map"

Treva's Ruins, taken from EchoMtG, by Jerry Tiritilli and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Unusual Subtypes Month here at the CCL. Let's make some unique typelines.

Challenge
Design a land card with one or more subtypes, none of which is a basic land type.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, February 21st, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (February 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (February 15th-21st)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due February 23rd)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (February 24th–27th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 1st)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 2nd–5th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 7th)
  • Final (March, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

Also: Don't forget you can freely enter the second round even if you did not do so for the first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Urza's Testing Area
Land - Urza's (Rare)
Other Urza's you control have ward 1.
T: Add C
T: Assembly-Workers you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Accursed Hall
Enchantment Land - Aura Curse (R)
Enchant player
Spells you cast that target enchanted player cost 1 less.
Whenever you cast a spell that targets one or more opponents, those players lose 1 life and you gain 1 life.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Gate of Hyperentry
Land - Gate (Rare)
Gate of Hyperentry enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add .
Whenever you discard a card, if Gate of Hyperentry is in your graveyard, return it to the battlefield tapped and create a 1/1 red Human creature token with haste.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Moving Castle
Artifact Land - Vehicle (Rare)
T: Add C.
2: Target land you control gains flying until end of turn.
3: Target land you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Crew 3
3/3

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Fane of Converging Paths
Legendary Enchantment Land - Shrine (r)
: Add one mana of any color among Shrines you control.
And all the seekers will gather
Around a fire that always burns.
It'll never be found as you go,
yet always be there as you return.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Wreath of Valakut
Artifact Land - Equipment (R)
Wreath of Valakut enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more Mountains.
T: Add R, plus an additional R if Wreath of Valakut is attached to a creature.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls blocks a creature you control, if equipped creature is attacking, Wreath of Valakut deals 3 damage to that creature. This ability only triggers once each turn.
Equip 1RR

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Lair of the Crimson Princes
Legendary Land - Lair {M}
When Lair of the Crimson Princes enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return a non-Lair land you control to its owner's hand. If you return a land to your hand this way, create a Treasure token.
T: Add R.
Whenever one or more red legendary creatures you control attack, those creatures gain first strike until end of turn and Lair of the Crimson Princes deals 1 damage to you.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Let's close the round - please critique and top 3 everyone else.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Accursed Hall
Enchantment Land - Aura Curse (R)
Enchant player
Spells you cast that target enchanted player cost 1 less.
Whenever you cast a spell that targets one or more opponents, those players lose 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Really cool, and I like that it almost has a mana ability with the first ability
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Gate of Hyperentry
Land - Gate (Rare)
Gate of Hyperentry enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add .
Whenever you discard a card, if Gate of Hyperentry is in your graveyard, return it to the battlefield tapped and create a 1/1 red Human creature token with haste.
Interesting effect but human seems like weird flavor... seems like it should be summoning alien beings
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Moving Castle
Artifact Land - Vehicle (Rare)
T: Add C.
2: Target land you control gains flying until end of turn.
3: Target land you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Crew 3
3/3
Whoa, perfect flavor and all the abilities look good. I think I would reverse the activated ability costs
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Fane of Converging Paths
Legendary Enchantment Land - Shrine (r)
: Add one mana of any color among Shrines you control.
And all the seekers will gather
Around a fire that always burns.
It'll never be found as you go,
yet always be there as you return.
Hmm, a free shrine might make shrine decks op if they were good already in any format. still perfect flavor
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Wreath of Valakut
Artifact Land - Equipment (R)
Wreath of Valakut enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more Mountains.
T: Add R, plus an additional R if Wreath of Valakut is attached to a creature.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls blocks a creature you control, if equipped creature is attacking, Wreath of Valakut deals 3 damage to that creature. This ability only triggers once each turn.
Equip 1RR
Cool, but probably too complicated and the tapping would look confusing when attache to a creature
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Lair of the Crimson Princes
Legendary Land - Lair {M}
When Lair of the Crimson Princes enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return a non-Lair land you control to its owner's hand. If you return a land to your hand this way, create a Treasure token.
T: Add R.
Whenever one or more red legendary creatures you control attack, those creatures gain first strike until end of turn and Lair of the Crimson Princes deals 1 damage to you.
nice idea for a new lair cycle but too much text imho
t3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 henlock
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Had not been feeling too well lately

Kwanyeegor-ii: Solid card that does work. Should probably enter the battlefield tapped.

Slimytrout: I think this does too much for a land but could be fun with some mana payment options for higher costs.

netn10: flavorfully amazing. Top 3 card for sure. I like the order of the abilities.

Henlock: Interesting card that encourages shrines well. The flavor sticks out too in a positive light.

MonoRedMage: This card seems a bit stupidly powerful since it doesn't even need to enter tapped. Props on the name though.

Ink-Treader: This land is a little complex and wordy, but I think I follow it's unique direction. This is another top 3 submission for the package of design and flavor.

Top 3:

3rd Place: Henlock
2nd Place: Ink-Treader
1st Place: netn10
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Ward 1 for a specific land type is probably fine, though it is a land type with a strong pedigree. The power booster is probably going to draw the most attention, for Changeling decks at least.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
This is interesting. It can be really strong, especially in multiples, but doesn't generate mana (there's of course ways around that) and is rather specific in value. It is cute that you can enchant yourself for a benefit, which can be an interesting choice where targeted draw is concerned.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
In the right kind of deck this will do very silly things. Curious why it makes a Human token. Gate subtype flavor is an interesting choice, since Gates are heavily tied to Ravnica, and this doesn't seem to be.
netn10
Show
Hide
A free vehicle would normally give pause, but the crew to P/T ratio is equal, so it should be fine. It can of course make itself stronger, but it has a significant enough cost. Being able to use those abilities on other land creatures is a nice bit of extra utility.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I wish this could at least tap for C so it's not completely useless without Shrines. Wouldn't be overpowered in the least.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Interesting implementation of Lairs, keeping their drawback but making it less painful by tossing in a Treasure. Of course, that does mean it can put you up two mana as it doesn't enter tapped. The Treasure being tapped would be the sensible solution. I like the last ability for actually make this feel like a lair, doing something decent for something narrow, with a very modest drawback. Might even be an unnecessary one.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. slimytrout
3. kwanyeegor-ii

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
The phrasing ends up being a little odd, but a very serviceable card, if unexciting.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Not sure I quite get it -- is this on Ravnica, or is a new plane getting Gates? And what does it have to do with discard or 1/1 Red Humans?
netn10
Show
Hide
This feels like it does a little too much for a land -- it ends up getting close to Celestial Colonnade levels, which is pretty pushed.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Definitely dangerous giving the shrines deck a free shrine, but obviously the fact that it's legendary and that it's useless to cast the first shrine are substantial drawbacks.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
This seems like it would get pretty fiddly -- having to tap a land that's also attached to a creature. I also don't know how it would work if multiple blocks happen.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
This feels very boom or bust -- the turn you play it it can put you up a mana, but afterwards you're down a mana. The rest of the card is mostly just trinket text. I think it could have been balanced better.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. netn10
3. kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

1Marioguy - While, as many have already pointed, gates are tied to Rabnica, I like here how you used the idea of a gate to make something more techy ala neon dynasty.
It looks pretty powerful, actually, since it can turn a diacard into ramp and a body, but feels quite unreliable outside a dedicated diacard deck.

slimytrout - I thik playing this at the coat of a land drop is quite powerful, specially since the first ability kind of negates the tempo drawback.

netn10: Manland and vehicle are quite similar concepts that mash quite well.

monoredmage- In.premodern it is not uncommon to drop a lair for a mana and let it die. The fact that this makes a treasure feels quite dangerous.

Ink-treader - Tapped vs untapped status gets tricky on permanenta that attach to something else.

kwanyegor- Urza lands and Assembly workers mix pretty well together.

1. Marioguy
2. netn10
3.kwanyegor

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to give about 11 more hours, until noon Eastern tomorrow - then I'll tally scores and post the next round.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The top 6 contestants are the following -

slimytrout
Ink-Treader
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
Henlock
marioguy3

Round to come!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”