Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL February Signups/Round 1

"The Infernal Machine"

Soul of New Phyrexia, taken from Art of MtG, by Daarken and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Unusual Subtypes Month here at the CCL. Let's make some unique typelines.

Challenge
Design an artifact creature card that has at least one creature type that has never been in an artifact creature's typeline.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, February 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (February 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (February 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due February 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (February 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due February 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (February 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 30th)
  • Final (March, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Steel Harridan 4
Artifact Creature - Harpy (U)
Flying
Whenever Steel Harridan deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a token and you create a Treasure token.
Mirthless harassment.
3/2

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Gutless Effigy 3
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow Coward (Uncommon)
Gutless Effigy can't attack or block.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Gutless Effigy has 5 or more power, transform it.
"If only I had the courage to visit Chulane... Please bring him to me..."
4/4
////
Search for Heart 2
Sorcery - Adventure (Uncommon)
The next creature you cast this turn enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.
//// Backside ////
Bravest Effigy
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow Warrior (Uncommon)
Trample, vigilance
"I did not grant you any wish nor waved any wands. The courage was always within you, all you had to do is believe and all I had to do is lie."
- Chulane, First Wizard of Eldraine
4/4

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Clockwork Hippopotamus 3
Artifact Creature - Hippo (Uncommon)
Ward 3
Clockwork Hippopotamus enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever Clockwork Hippopotamus attacks or blocks, remove a +1/+1 counter from it at end of combat.
T: Put a +1/+1 counter on Clockwork Hippopotamus.
Sacrifice two other artifacts: Untap Clockwork Hippopotamus.
0/0
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Bronze Bull 1BR
Artifact Creature - Ox Construct (U)
Haste
When Bronze Bull enters the battlefield, choose target creature an opponent controls. That creature can't block for as long as you control Bronze Bull.
3/3

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Moatmaw Machine 3
Artifact Creature - Crocodile Construct (u)
Flash
When Moatmaw Machine enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target attacking creature without flying.
2/3

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Glass Encased Eye
Artifact Creature - Eye (Uncommon)
Glass Encased Eye enters the battlefield with an ice counter on it.
Glass Encased Eye has defender and indestructible as long as it has an ice counter on it.
Whenever a player casts a red spell that targets Glass Encased Eye, remove an ice counter from Glass Encased Ice. If you do, it deals 2 damage to any target.
4/4
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Tyrite Phoenix 2RRR
Artifact Creature - Phoenix {M}
Flying
Tyrite Phoenix's power is equal to twice the number of artifacts you control.
When Tyrite Phoenix dies, put an egg counter on a nonland permanent you control and two nonland permanents your opponents control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Tyrite Phoenix is in your graveyard, destroy target permanent with an egg counter on it chosen at random. When a permanent you control is destroyed this way, return Tyrite Phoenix to the battlefield.
A magnificent yet dangerous creation of Axgardian engineering.
*/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

This round is extended - if you're thinking of entering, please do so!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, closing the round - please critique and post a top 3 of every other contestant. Second round should come sometime tomorrow.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

in progress
Show
Hide

Ink Treader - 3/2 flier for is very nice rate (I've been very fond of snare thopter), and the damage trigger is quite interesting. The creature type fits quite welm here, it does feel like some nasty creature with magpie-like inclinations for messing with your stuff.

nrtn10- Well. well. Here we have a very interesting flavor and the creature type is used to tell a story. The combination of adventure and double face might be a bit a lot, but in a flavor-oriented challenge like this one it is something that's more of a background issue.

.kwanyegor- Lots of thinga going on for an uncommon, ward probaby is too much, considering that this is a manaless sacrifice outlet for artifacts. Flavorwise, This doesn't feel specifically like a hippo, but there's the tradition of clockwork fauna with +1/+1 counters.

slimytrout- Ribgs the bell of the Greek bull, mexhanically is a bit more blurry to see. Nice stats with a nice style of removal.

Matioguy - This blocks very well, althought it hits the table pretty late. Its role might be pretty good. actually. Sitting there as a hhard-to-deal blocked while you stabilize and be turned into offense.

Monoredmage- An artifact phoenix with a cool minigame builyñt in. Pretty cool.
Last edited by Henlock 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Steel Harridan 4
Artifact Creature - Harpy (U)
Flying
Whenever Steel Harridan deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a token and you create a Treasure token.
Mirthless harassment.
3/2
Flavor looks good. I like the utility of forcing a token sac
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Gutless Effigy 3
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow Coward (Uncommon)
Gutless Effigy can't attack or block.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Gutless Effigy has 5 or more power, transform it.
"If only I had the courage to visit Chulane... Please bring him to me..."
4/4
////
Search for Heart 2
Sorcery - Adventure (Uncommon)
The next creature you cast this turn enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.
//// Backside ////
Bravest Effigy
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow Warrior (Uncommon)
Trample, vigilance
"I did not grant you any wish nor waved any wands. The courage was always within you, all you had to do is believe and all I had to do is lie."
- Chulane, First Wizard of Eldraine
4/4
p much no reason to play this without the adventure right? Flavorful but wish it was a little differnt
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Bronze Bull 1BR
Artifact Creature - Ox Construct (U)
Haste
When Bronze Bull enters the battlefield, choose target creature an opponent controls. That creature can't block for as long as you control Bronze Bull.
3/3
Anoither good flavor card. fair for uncommon and 3 mana. looks like a good limited pick
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Moatmaw Machine 3
Artifact Creature - Crocodile Construct (u)
Flash
When Moatmaw Machine enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target attacking creature without flying.
2/3
4 for 4 good flavor lol. very simple, definitely efficient cost
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Glass Encased Eye
Artifact Creature - Eye (Uncommon)
Glass Encased Eye enters the battlefield with an ice counter on it.
Glass Encased Eye has defender and indestructible as long as it has an ice counter on it.
Whenever a player casts a red spell that targets Glass Encased Eye, remove an ice counter from Glass Encased Ice. If you do, it deals 2 damage to any target.
4/4
Why is it a GLASS encased eye that has an ICE counter? that bothers me lol
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Tyrite Phoenix 2RRR
Artifact Creature - Phoenix {M}
Flying
Tyrite Phoenix's power is equal to twice the number of artifacts you control.
When Tyrite Phoenix dies, put an egg counter on a nonland permanent you control and two nonland permanents your opponents control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Tyrite Phoenix is in your graveyard, destroy target permanent with an egg counter on it chosen at random. When a permanent you control is destroyed this way, return Tyrite Phoenix to the battlefield.
A magnificent yet dangerous creation of Axgardian engineering.
*/3
Pretty cool card, I like the axgard dwarfs reference, yet complicated
Show
Hide
1 ink-treader
2 slimytrout
3 henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
This is probably above rate in a Limited context, being a 5/5 with trample and vigilance for 5, even with the small delay where it can't block. Otherwise, I like it fine; it's a very cute reference.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Five seperate lines of text is a bit much, though not unprecedented. Not too bad. The cost to untap feels a little excessive, but this is an alright package as is.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Pretty neat. This probably doesn't need black to be functional. This does feel a little off from the stories of the 'brazen bull', as it was more of an execution device.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Solid utility. Not much else to say, though it might be rather good in a Limited context.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
This is weirdly specific in its functionality. I wish it had some relevant keywords after being unfrozen.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Capricious Efreet vibes from that last ability. No haste keeps this from being too crazy, but it's still very nasty if it gets to swing. "twice" feels excessive here.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. netn10
3. Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Sacrifices a token is generally a low-impact ability. It's probably gotten a bit stronger in recent years as tokens (especially noncreature ones) have further proliferated, but still has about a 50% chance of doing nothing and another 40% chance of getting rid of a 1/1 or a Treasure. So mostly it's a 4-mana 3/2 that makes a Treasure when it hits, which is okay.
netn10
Show
Hide
5-mana 5/5 trample vigilance that effectively ETBT is quite solid, and has other flexibility as well. I wish the flavor text was a little less of a direct copy though.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Is this a Hungry Hungry Hippos reference? It certainly fits within the tradition of Clockwork creatures, but there is a reason the last cycle of those is from Mirrodin -- it usually isn't that fun to be afraid to use your creatures. Still, the fact that it can replenish itself is a nice touch.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Not the most exciting card, but probably fine in limited and the flavor is nice.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Is it encased in ice or in glass? And why is an eye an artifact? I just don't get it.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Hmm. Definitely an interesting card, and hard to peg exactly how strong it is. I do worry that it would lead to some unpleasant play patterns where your opponent can't afford to let it hit them ("twice"!) and also can't afford to kill it.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. netn10
3. kwanyeegor-ii

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Ink-Treader: I am harpy to say that your card is covered with artific goodness.

netn10: Ambitious card for sure. Not sure what to think with the mechanics of it in my short time to get this critique in.

kwanyeegor-ii: Winner is you for creating the absolute best artifact creature type.

slimytrout: This card is pretty slick. I like this stopping of blocking thing going on with the beast.

Henlock: This thing is quite the interesting battler. Chomp.

MonoRedMage: A card that isnt quite as complicated as it appears on first glance. This card should not destroy enchantments though in red. You gotta choose "nonenchantment permanent" for it to work in color pie.

top 3:

3rd place: Ink-Treader
2nd place: slimytrout
1st place: kwanyeegor-ii
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”