Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL October Signups/Round 1

"Cashing Out"

Elemental Masterpiece, taken from Art of MtG, by Marta Nael and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Minor Effects month here at the CCL. We'll be doing big things with things that are small.

Challenge
Design a card that creates one or more Treasure tokens.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Friday, October 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (October 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (October 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due October 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (October 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 30th)
  • Final (November, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Kerion, Soul of Axgard 2RW
Legendary Planeswalker - Kerion (Mythic)
Tap two untapped creatures you control: Create a Treasure token.
+1: Create a 2/2 white Dwarf creature token with vigilance.
-1: Untap all creatures you control.
-6: You get an emblem with "You may sacrifice Treasures as though as it was removing loyalty counters."
{2}

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Turn to Ore GGGGGG
Sorcery (Mythic)
Exile all artifacts and enchantments. Create X Treasure tokens, where X is the total mana value of permanents exiled this way.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Aurify 1WWW
Sorcery {R}
Destroy all nonland permanents. For each permanent destroyed this way, that permanent's controller creates a tapped Treasure token. (They're artifacts with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.)

Apellosine

Post by Apellosine » 2 years ago

Coinmaster WB
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
W, T: Target creature you don't control can't attack or block until your next turn. That creature's controller creates a Treasure token.
Whenever an opponent sacrifices a Treasure, create a Treasure token.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Universal Key 2
Artifact (U)
2, T: Create a Treasure token.
4, T: Target creature you control can't be blocked this turn.
Whether they are chests or gates, this is the key to everything.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Bejeweled Missile 2R
Instant (C)
You may pay R and sacrifice a Treasure to cast Bejeweled Missile.
Bejeweled Missile deals 4 damage to any target. That player or permanent's controller creates a Treasure token. (They're artifacts with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.)

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Dragon's Greed 1R
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Whenever Dragon's Greed enters the battlefield or enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, create a Treasure token and exile the top card of your library. You may play that card until end of turn.
Enchanted creature has flying and "Sacrifice a Treasure: This creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn."

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Goblin Springcharger
Enchantment (Uncommon)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a treasure token.
Whenever you sacrifice a non-creature token, create a 1/1 red Goblin with haste.
It is the natural evolution of silvery things.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

Fair Deal
Instant (C)
Target opponent creates a Treasure token. (It's an artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
Whenever opponent sacrifices a Treasure, if Fair Deal is in your graveyard, you may exile it. If you do, scry 1 and draw a card.
Commerce allow to flourish all.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

And the round is closed. Please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
RaikouRider
Apellosine
bravelion83
Ink-Treader
slimytrout
marioguy3
Lorn Asbord Schutta

Round 2 will most likely be posted tomorrow.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Bejeweled Missile 2R
Instant (C)
You may pay R and sacrifice a Treasure to cast Bejeweled Missile.
Bejeweled Missile deals 4 damage to any target. That player or permanent's controller creates a Treasure token. (They're artifacts with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.)
I like this card, from the alternative cost to giving the damaged player a Treasure in exchange for the damage. The mana cost feels right to me. I think this card has the potential to see a lot of play in several formats. In the end, if you sacrifice a Treasure to cast it you deal four damage for a single red mana, or, if you count sacrificing a Treasure as getting a mana from it, four damage for two mana. I hope giving them a Treasure is enough to make such a high rate possible. Anyway, I don't think this card should be common. I'd put it at uncommon probably.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Dragon's Greed 1R
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Whenever Dragon's Greed enters the battlefield or enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, create a Treasure token and exile the top card of your library. You may play that card until end of turn.
Enchanted creature has flying and "Sacrifice a Treasure: This creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn."
A fine card. The only thing that might be a bend in red is granting flying. Red is the fourth color in flying, second last, using it only on Dragons and Phoenixes normally. The fourth color in an ability usually doesn't grant it. You justified it with the Dragon flavor, but flavor can justify almost everything.
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Goblin Springcharger
Enchantment (Uncommon)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a treasure token.
Whenever you sacrifice a non-creature token, create a 1/1 red Goblin with haste.
It is the natural evolution of silvery things.
So, at the beginning of combat you create a Treasure and immediately sacrifice it to get a hasty Goblin right on time for the declare attackers step. You also get a mana, but you need an instant or activated ability to use it before it goes away. Or, if you need the mana for something at sorcery speed or you want to keep it to use it on your opponent's turn, you give up the hasty Goblin. After all, I don't expect a 1/1 Goblin to change combat, but it's nice being able to control when you get the Goblin. You can also get it as a surprise blocker on your opponent's turn. Very versatile card. What I don't understand is the flavor text, but it might just be me. What are the "silvery things" this is the evolution of? Minor nitpick: the word "treasure" in the first ability should be capitalized.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
2 years ago
Fair Deal
Instant (C)
Target opponent creates a Treasure token. (It's an artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
Whenever opponent sacrifices a Treasure, if Fair Deal is in your graveyard, you may exile it. If you do, scry 1 and draw a card.
Commerce allow to flourish all.
"Whenever *an* opponent..." This card feels a little strange to me. I give them a Treasure, and when they use it I get an effect. Scry 1 and draw is nice but as a Spike I don't like my opponent having control over when and if I get to do it. Johnny will surely love this card. This is another flavor text that needs adjusting: should it be "Commerce allows all to flourish"?
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Kerion, Soul of Axgard 2RW
Legendary Planeswalker - Kerion (Mythic)
Tap two untapped creatures you control: Create a Treasure token.
+1: Create a 2/2 white Dwarf creature token with vigilance.
-1: Untap all creatures you control.
-6: You get an emblem with "You may sacrifice Treasures as though as it was removing loyalty counters."
{2}
It's always hard to judge planeswalkers. What I like is the synergy among the different abilities. If you only have one creature, the +1 gives you the second creature that you can tap immediately to get a Treasure, probably on your opponent's end step. Or if you already have two creatures, you can do it during your turn and then the -1 allows you to untap the creatures you tapped to get the Treasure. The -6 is very original and it's probably best used with other planeswalkers. What I don't like is the low starting loyalty, but overall this is a rather good design.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Turn to Ore GGGGGG
Sorcery (Mythic)
Exile all artifacts and enchantments. Create X Treasure tokens, where X is the total mana value of permanents exiled this way.
I like this card, but that mana cost... Yes, we've had even more restrictive ones for real (I remember eight green mana symbols), but this feels too much for the abilities. The mana cost is exactly what makes this feel like a mythic to me, I would have probably used a less restrictive mana cost and put this at regular rare, but it's just me.
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Aurify 1WWW
Sorcery {R}
Destroy all nonland permanents. For each permanent destroyed this way, that permanent's controller creates a tapped Treasure token. (They're artifacts with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.)
With this name I wish they were Gold tokens... Anyway, this is a fine card. Normally destroying all nonland permanents costs something like six mana or even more, I'm not sure giving your opponents Treasures while also getting them yourselves is enough to lower the mana cost by at least two mana. What's good is that the Treasures you get will help you rebuild the board faster after the Wrath, and I like that.
Top 3

1st place: marioguy3
2nd place: netn10
3rd place: RaikouRider
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
I like the ability set here, except the ultimate. That's an extremely underwhelming ult, especially considering the time it takes to get there, and it's far from gamewinning, or even particularly strong without a significant amount of build around.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I like this idea of what this is trying to do, but I think being cheaper and only giving a Treasure per nontoken would be more reasonable, and easier to cost.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
This is something I could see WotC printing someday. The Treasure generation should likely be tied to nontokens, however,
Apellosine
Show
Hide
Nice flavor, and the abilities tie together nicely. Perhaps the ability could require sorcery speed, but other than that, it's nice enough.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Quite a packed Aura. Red granting flying is quite unusual (the only monored Aura that does it with no other colors is Shiv's Embrace), but the flavor is nice. Feels very overloaded, but Auras generally have to be I grant. Rancor never hurt anything, after all.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
A free Treasure every one of your combats is nice... and 'free' Goblins on top of that is also nice. While the timing does allow for the Goblin token to attack if you sac the Treasure right away, this does read a bit oddly. Also the name would suit a creature better (and tone the power level down a bit)
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Eh. It's an interesting way to give White Opt, but I'm not sure it's something that'd feel great without having a bunch of these in the yard to begin with. Maybe the scry can get punched up to 2?
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Apellosine
2. slimytrout
3. RaikouRider

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Huh, I don't love the idea of planeswalkers having activated abilities that aren't loyalty abilities. I assume that means it can be activated at instant speed as many times per turn as you want, but that just doesn't really feel very much like a planeswalker. The + and - loyalty abilities are fun if underpowered, while the ultimate is very underwhelming since it seems to only do anything in super-friends deck, which likely doesn't play great with the non-loyalty ability.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Woah. I mean, it's game-breaking specifically in EDH mono-green, and probably unplayable anywhere else, which is better than being game-breaking everywhere or unplayable everywhere but still seems a little too all-or-nothing for my taste.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Nice. Would have loved some flavor text, but definitely a nice clean card, if maybe a little aggressively costed -- I'm not sure that refunding treasure is enough for a 2-mana discount on Planar Cleansing.
Apellosine
Show
Hide
Fun idea -- she's bribing creatures not to do anything, but then she can recover the bribe. Unfortunately, significant penalty for no p/t, even though 2/2 seems like a safe bet given the cost/rarity.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Nothing wrong with this card, but not the most exciting. Also flavor text is a little too direct for my tastes.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
The timing and flavor are both a bit odd, but the overall idea is fun -- I could definitely see something resembling this card getting printed, especially in a Modern Horizons set or something.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Man, this is quite bad in most situations. If you can mill it *and* your opponent is a treasure deck, then it's pretty playable, but that's quite narrow. If you're actually casting this and your opponent isn't using other treasures, it's awful, since either your opponent decides that the extra mana is worth giving you an Opt, which is probably bad for you, or they decide that it's not, in which case you've expended a card for literally nothing. And since the ceiling is so low to begin with, the fact that the floor is literal nothing makes for a very unplayable card.
T3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. marioguy3
3. Apellosine

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta: I'd like this card a whole lot more if it read "each player creates a treasure token," tacked on with mana from a different color.

netn10: I feel as though the emblem's ability could be simpler by just having it as an activated ability to add loyalty counters. The rest of the card itself is unique.

kwanyeegor-ii: A spell worthy of a high cost, but all green mana? A selesnya version of this card could have been quite fun to play.

RaikouRider: Cool effect on a super cheap massive board wipe. The enters tapped ability of the treasure tokens neutralizes the cheapness of the spell, and others will be able to rebuild with the tokens first. Is it a group hug card or a super control card?

Apellosine: Coinmaster is a cool name with a uniquely orzhov ability.

bravelion83: I like how the card's name works with being an artifact that creates treasure tokens or "keys" through the defense to get opponents for damage.

Ink-Treader: I love the name on the card, but it is a bit too complex for a common. This could easily slot in at uncommon though, and the ability to deal damage for cheap shouldn't be written off.

Top 3
3rd: bravelion83
2nd: RaikouRider
1st: Apellosine
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

As of now, only top 3.

1. Apellosine
2. RaikouRider
3. Ink-Treader

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

1) Ink-Treader
2) slimytrout