September CCL Round 1: Charm made of silver

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

September CCL Round 1/Signups

"Charm made of silver"
Banner based on Slippery Bogle by Wizards of the Coast and Dave Allsop.

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Defensive Keywords Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will work with different keywords that deal with protecting permanents.

Challenge
Design an uncommon permanent card with a hexproof or hexproof from [quality] keyword.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You can read more about hexproof here.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Wednesday, September 8th, 12:00 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st-9th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 19th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 18th–22nd)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due September 25th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (September 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 1st)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)

Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Selkie Caretaker 1
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (Uncommon)
Hexproof
: Another target creature you control gain hexproof until end if turn and Selkie Caretaker loses hexproof until end of turn.
"Before the first fake-gill was born, I was there, keeping watch."
2/2

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Carapace Bringer {G/U}{G/U}
Creature — Turtle (U)
Hexproof
When Carapace Bringer dies, put a hexproof counter on target nonland permanent you control.
A turtle's carapace has its uses even when its original inhabitant is no more.
1/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Golden Jackalope g
Creature - Rabbit Beast (u)
Hexproof from creatures
Golden Jackalope must be blocked if able.
Golden Jackalopes move with a mixture of pride and elusiveness that makes them very enticing trophies.
1/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Guildless Hermit 1G
Creature - Human Druid (U)
Hexproof from multicolored
Deathtouch to multicolored
"The Gruul are mindless herdbeasts, the Golgari are lifeless shamblers, and the Simic are heartless fiddlers. Don't even get me started on the Selesnya."
2/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Mirrormail Rider 3WW
Creature - Human Knight (Uncommon)
Flash
Hexproof from red
Whenever a source deals noncombat damage to you, Mirrormail Rider deals that much damage to that source's controller.
3/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

EDIT: Uncommon, right.

Unnatural Shape 2BB
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow Horror (U)
Hexproof from green
T, Pay 1 life, Discard a card: Choose one -
• Put a +1/+1 counter on Unnatural Shape.
• Remove up to two counters from among permanents.
Its ragged body and jerky movement would be unnerving enough, but its gleaming metal eyes are truly horrifying.
3/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There will be a one day extension, till September 9th.
Get your submissions in!

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Soldier of the Stars W
Creature - Cat Soldier {U}
As Soldier of the Stars enters the battlefield, choose a card type. (Artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal are card types.)
Soldier of the Stars has hexproof from the chosen card type.
2/1

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Gleeful Tormentor 2R
Creature — Devil (U)
First strike, hexproof from cursed opponents (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your cursed opponents control.)
2B, Sacrifice Gleeful Tormentor: Search your library for a Curse card, reveal it, then put it into your hand. Then shuffle.
Devils are drawn to suffering like moths to a flame.
3/1

Lorn Asbord Schutta

It is a high time I closed this round.
Please provide critiques and top 3 for seven contestants below you, looping if necessary.

netn10
bravelion83
Henlock
slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii
void_nothing
RaikouRider
Subject16

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

This actually means "critique everybody else", given how there are eight submissions total. Ok, let's do it.
Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Selkie Caretaker 1
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (Uncommon)
Hexproof
: Another target creature you control gain hexproof until end if turn and Selkie Caretaker loses hexproof until end of turn.
"Before the first fake-gill was born, I was there, keeping watch."
2/2
I like how you have to tap this first before using its ability, most likely by attacking, thus putting this creature at risk. Johnny will try to find other ways, I'm sure, but I'll just let him work. Also, another part of "putting this creature at risk" is having it lose hexproof when it gives it to the other creature. Overall, nice whole package, the only "bad" thing to say is that we know the untap symbol is not very intuitive to the majority of players, but no problems to me. Also, very nice Shadowmoor flavor.
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Golden Jackalope g
Creature - Rabbit Beast (u)
Hexproof from creatures
Golden Jackalope must be blocked if able.
Golden Jackalopes move with a mixture of pride and elusiveness that makes them very enticing trophies.
1/2
I would have liked to see reminder text for hexproof from creatures. Creature spells don't target. Maybe what you actually meant was "hexproof from triggered/activated abilities of creatures"? I think so, but I think that what you meant and how this actually works as written are not the same thing. What's nice is the combination of hexproof and must be blocked. It's the opposite of hexproof and evasion, which is considered a bit too powerful as we all know. Very good flavor.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Guildless Hermit 1G
Creature - Human Druid (U)
Hexproof from multicolored
Deathtouch to multicolored
"The Gruul are mindless herdbeasts, the Golgari are lifeless shamblers, and the Simic are heartless fiddlers. Don't even get me started on the Selesnya."
2/2
Keeping on with the trend of cards with very nice flavor, here's another one. It's very nice seeing the unseen part of Ravnica get the spotlight. I really like the flavor text. The mechanics also drive the point home very well: this human hates the guilds. All the guilds. I think "deathtouch to" is new, but very intuitive. Very good job and serious candidate for my top 3.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Mirrormail Rider 3WW
Creature - Human Knight (Uncommon)
Flash
Hexproof from red
Whenever a source deals noncombat damage to you, Mirrormail Rider deals that much damage to that source's controller.
3/3
Normally hexproof is tertiary in white, and usually given to players, but if you see it as a part of protection it suddenly makes perfect sense in white. Flash is also tertiary in white, but all colors can have it if it's needed for the card to work as intended. Here it fits because you really want to cast this in response to a spell or ability that triggers the last ability. If you already had this on the battlefield, your opponent would have very probably avoided casting that spell. It's really a sideboard card for white decks against red, like we have already seen in the past. I think this card could have used some flavor text.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Unnatural Shape 2BB
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow Horror (U)
Hexproof from green
T, Pay 1 life, Discard a card: Choose one -
• Put a +1/+1 counter on Unnatural Shape.
• Remove up to two counters from among permanents.
Its ragged body and jerky movement would be unnerving enough, but its gleaming metal eyes are truly horrifying.
3/2
Hexproof here makes sense just because it's from one of black's enemy colors, as a mechanic it's not really in black. The card could have been blue-black hating on their common enemy and it would have felt better to me. In my opinion, this card feels like it just could not have the hexproof line and be fine anyway. The rest of the card is not that synergistic with hexproof. The best part of this card is the flavor. The name and flavor text are printable as is in my opinion, and they would feel at home in an Innistrad set like, say, Midnight Hunt, the set that's been previewed right now. What a coincidence! (I'm sure it's not.)
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Soldier of the Stars W
Creature - Cat Soldier {U}
As Soldier of the Stars enters the battlefield, choose a card type. (Artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal are card types.)
Soldier of the Stars has hexproof from the chosen card type.
2/1
I've already talked about hexproof in white being more to players than on permanents. Except for the soldier flavor, that could be adjusted anyway, this card mechanically wants to be blue and/or green, not white. Too bad because I really like the elegance and simplicity of this card and its Tarmogoyf-like reminder text. I also like the "as etb", I think many would write this as "when etb" and fall into the trap. But you have avoided the trap. At least that one.
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Gleeful Tormentor 2R
Creature — Devil (U)
First strike, hexproof from cursed opponents (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your cursed opponents control.)
2B, Sacrifice Gleeful Tormentor: Search your library for a Curse card, reveal it, then put it into your hand. Then shuffle.
Devils are drawn to suffering like moths to a flame.
3/1
Good thing to have the reminder text here, but it should also explain what is a "cursed opponent". It's probably just an opponent that has an Aura Curse attached to them. If it's that, it looks intuitive enough, but I think it would have been better to avoid any potential doubts and just write it down. Also, some green and/or blue should be there. The Curse-tutoring ability reinforces that intuition, as does the flavor text. No problems with the rest of the card, first strike on a red Devil makes sense, and you have to pay black mana to tutor.
Top 3

1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: netn10
3rd place: kwanyeegor-ii
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Untap abilities with no mana cost are dangerous, especially on a creature with hexproof, which makes it much more durable until you start comboing. Also I definitely don't get what a "fake-gill" is.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Name and flavor text are a bit clunky (say "carapace" three times fast), but overall it's a nice simple concept.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Hexproof from creatures is a little odd, although I'm sure it works, in the same way that hexproof from black protects from black abilities as well as black spells (plus there's already hexproof from 'walkers). It's also a bit narrow in limited (mostly stops tappers and Man-o'-Wars, plus the occasional FTK or Nekrataal), especially on a creature that's already pretty low-impact.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I like it. Honestly, for five mana I think this could redirect instead of just copying it, but it's still a cool idea.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Black is quite tertiary in hexproof (only one native card with full hexproof), but green is an enemy color so probably ok. Would have preferred the second ability to just say "from target permanent," but otherwise just fine, if a bit complex.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
I like this quite a bit. Very clean, and quite flexible without being at all overpowered. Could definitely fit flavor text, but otherwise no notes.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Hexproof is *very* not red -- red doesn't have a single monocolored card with any form of hexproof. This is obviously a very narrow version, but I still think it's out of pie.
T3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. bravelion83

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Due to delay in the second round, critiques' period is extended till 19th September, 12:00 EST. If you can't make critique on time, please give at least top 3.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Once again, since the critiques' period will end in a less then a day, please make at least top 3 if you do not have time for full critique.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
netn10 - Not an uninteresting idea - the untap symbol may be kind of disadvantageous as it often will require attacking with a non-evasive 2/2 to be able to have hexproof at the ready - but this needs rewording to prevent two-card infinites.

bravelion83 - Perfectly solid - I do like the idea of being able to put the counter on noncreatures - but also unexciting. Not sure why "nonland". It doesn't seem to be for balance reasons as there's nothing degenerate it enables and for flavor reasons, well, it doesn't make any less sense than putting it on an enchantment.

Henlock - I love this flavor-mechanic lineup. Looks pretty fun. No Antelope in the typeline though?

slimytrout - Perfection. Would love to see this in any Ravnica outing.

kwanyeegor-ii - Sure - fills the same niche as Purity but arguably does that particular job better. Doesn't make you survive longer but can kill burn before they kill you. Flash is good here. The hexproof from red makes a lot of sense.

RaikouRider - Theros flavored? That plane seems ripe for better-than-Elite Vanguards for some reason. This is sort of generically good and many of these options have little reason to be chosen although if you're facing down any given red planeswalker (lol) that might be the pick.

Subject16 - I happen to like curse tribal as a theme a lot so I'm partial to this card. Hexproof in red is... of course odd but you have to work for it which is nice. Feels like it's meant for Commander in particular. Flavor's good.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. Henlock
3. Subject16
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

just a top, sorry

1. slimytrout
2. RaikouRaider
3. Subject16

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

1 slimytrout
2 netn10
3 void_nothing
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The critiques are now closed.
Sincerest thanks to all participants, especially those who made critiques and top 3.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”