May MCC Round 1 - Mark of the Beast

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 week ago

card-8OOol-art_crop.jpg
Banner based on Denry Klin, Editor in Chief, by Aaron J. Reilly and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
May MCC, Round 1 - Mark of the Beast

Welcome to the May MCC! It's Graphic Design Month here at the MCC. We'll be celebrating this underappreciated team in R&D and maybe even trying our hand at some aspects of their job.

Main Challenge: Design a card with a new watermark.

Subchallenge 1: Your card has at most one color in its color identity.

Subchallenge 2: Your card's flavor text includes the name of the watermark.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, May 7, 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Saturday, May 11, 23:59 EDT

If time extensions are required, they WILL eat time from the next round to realign with the calendar, so please ask them only if you really need them. This is for both players and judges.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge:
You must include the name of the watermark your card has, e.g.:
Watermark: Boros

You may include a brief description of the visual appearance of your watermark, e.g.:
A raised fist inside a sunburst

Alternatively, you may mock up and include an illustration of your watermark if that appeals to you more.

You may not include any flavor details about what the watermark represents outside your card submission:
The Boros Legion are the Ravnican guild that serve as the plane's standing army. (Don't do this!)

Scryfall lets you search for cards with specific watermarks using "wm:", but I'd actually recommend gatherer because it has a drop-down menu labeled "Mark" that allows you to see all the existing watermarks in case you want to make sure you're designing a new one.

Subchallenge 1:
I imagine most people get this instantly, but here's a rundown of color identity for anyone who needs it.

Subchallenge 2:
This is fairly straightforward if you're using a faction name for your watermark, but can also be accomplished if you're using a set name or a mechanic name.
CONTESTANTS

Anyone is free to enter in the first round! Your signup for the contest consists of posting a card design that fits the main challenge and any number of the subchallenges (none, some, or all of them).

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
JUDGES
slimytrout

We have a few reserve judges, but if anyone wants to officially volunteer now that they've seen the first challenge, please do so here.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 week ago

Krizark, Varakna Overlord 4B
Legendary Creature — Dragon (M)
Flying, devour 1
When Krizark, Varakna Overlord enters the battlefield, you draw X cards and you lose X life, where X is the number of creatures it devoured.
Whenever Krizark, Varakna Overlord attacks, if you control another attacking red and/or green creature, create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token and a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
Food for dragons is never scarce on Jund.
3/3

Watermark: Jund
Last edited by bravelion83 4 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 1 week ago

Nua'vu Initiate 1G
Creature - Merfolk Shaman (C)
Nua'vu Initiate enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter, if you've cast blue spell this turn.
Nua'vu Initiate enters the battlefield with a lifelink counter, if you've cast black spell this turn.
1/1
There are many ways for those who seek of Nua'vu.
Watermark: Nua'vu
nuavu.jpg

shullz

Post by shullz » 1 week ago

Gilim Chief Magicrafter 1w
Creature — Dwarf Artificer (R)
Aura spells you cast that target an artifact cost less to cast.
Enchanted artifacts you control have hexproof.
The craftsmanship of the Gilim is said to turn even a pebble into a formidable weapon.
2/2

Watermark: Gilim
enchantment_watermark_small.png
Last edited by shullz 6 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 1 week ago

Radiant Light's Devoted 1W
Devoted Creature — Angel {R}
(You may cast devoted spells only if all nonland permanents you control share a single color with it.)
Flying
As long as your devotion to white is greater than five, Radiant Light's Devoted gets +2/+2 and has vigilance.
The devoted are a sickly kind. They preach salvation for ALL citizens, but slaughters ANY who do not follow their doctrine.
3/3

WM: Devoted; Two hands hold together in pair.
Last edited by Freyleyes 5 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 week ago

Intrepid Copycat 1U
Creature — Human Wizard (U)
Whenever you cast a spell that targets another creature you control, you may have Intrepid Copycat become a copy of that creature until end of turn, except it isn't legendary if that creature is legendary. If you do, copy that spell. The copy targets Intrepid Copycat.
She knows every hero of the Victory Legion, and can't wait to join their ranks.
1/2
Watermark: The Victory Legion
Logo:
Show
Hide
image.png

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 week ago

Eternity Viper
Creature - Snake U
Eternity Viper has deathtouch as long as it is blocking.
Turn Back (, Exile this card from your graveyard: Target creature you control becomes a copy of this while it is exiled. Shuffle this into your library during your next upkeep.)
The Oscrad are deeply in tune with nature; the dead and dying part of nature.

1/1
Render
Show
Hide

This render was made with some art from Michal Teliga, found here. Support Michal if you can.
Attachment Spot
Show
Hide
Eternity Viper-min.png
Oscrad Watermark
Show
Hide
The symbol of the Oscrad is a dead tree, growing out of a toothy maw.

Attachment Spot
Show
Hide
evendresch-oscrad.png
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 5 days ago

Unburying Blizzard 4SU
Snow Sorcery (Uncommon)
Shuffle your graveyard into your library. Create a 2/2 blue and black Wraith snow creature token with "This creature can't be blocked" for each creature card shuffled into your library this way. Scry X, where X is the number of snow cards shuffled into your library this way.
Some ambitious Skadlanders have to go to great lengths to join the Frozen Dead. For others, they are simply made to.
(Watermark: Frozen Dead)
description
Show
Hide
A coffin made of angular ice crystals
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 days ago

Bumping this to remind potential contestants that there are about 36 hours left to enter! Also in case folks are being put off by the work required to design a watermark, just a note that this is entirely optional and the only thing you actually have to include with your entry is the name of the watermark.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 days ago

Glint-Eye Messenger 1UBRG
Creature - Merfolk Rogue (Common)
Glint-Eye Messenger can't be blocked.
Whenever Glint-Eye Messenger deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it, that player discards a card and you draw a card.
"The Glint-Eye sees all, wants all, and gets all. I am merely a conduit for It."
{Glint-Eye}
2/2
Logo
Show
Hide
OIG4.jpg

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 days ago

Catpal, Solidified Hero
Legendary Creature — Cat Golem Wizard (Rare)
First strike
Whenever you cast a creature spell, create a 2/2 White Cat Golem creature token.
At the beginning of your end step, if three or more Cat Golems attacked this turn, draw a card.
Cat Golems don't atrophy, they pride themselves on perfect claw combat.
3/7

Watermark: Cat Golem
Last edited by marioguy3 2 days ago, edited 2 times in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 days ago

Saurid Ambush Hunter 3R
Creature — Lizard Warrior (uncommon)
Saurid Ambusher must attack each turn if able.
Provoke (Whenever this creature attacks, you may have target creature defending player controls untap and block it if able.)
When Saurid Ambush Hunter becomes blocked by a creature, that creature loses first strike, double strike, and indestructible until end of turn.
What the Saurid warriors lack in intelligence the make up for in their instinct and savagery.
4/3

WM: Saurid
Description : a scratch make made by five nails of different widths and with the 1st and 5th as the shortest, the 2nd and 4th mark as the middle length and the 3rd as the longest. With about a right leaning 45 degree angle for all.
7A3A97B8-E455-42BA-9233-994307F5C3F7.jpeg

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 days ago

Gracious Blade W
Creature - Human Pirate (R)
Whenever you act with gallantry, put a +1/+1 counter on Gracious Blade. If this is the second time this ability has triggered this turn, create a 1/1 colorless Pirate creature token. (You act with gallantry by attacking anything other than a player, untapping a creature with an effect, or paying mana to equip a creature.)
"May the name of the Golden Sabers be beloved by the powerless and feared by the powerful!"
1/1
{Watermark: Golden Sabers}
Watermark
Show
Hide
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 days ago

Watermark: The Tek
Symbol: A sickle and a sprig of wheat, crossed diagonally.

Revolting Peasantry 3r
Creature - Human Rebel Peasant (u)
Haste
When Revolting Peasantry enters the battlefield, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each Plains on the battlefield.
Generations and generations of labour earned the Tek the right to their lands. No document can tell them otherwise.
2/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 days ago

Round is closed! Brackets are as follows:

slimytrout:
Sagharri
void_nothing
kwanyeegor-ii
shullz
Henlock
Komandon

Ink-Treader:
Rithaniel
netn10
bravelion83
marioguy3
Freyleyes
Subject16

Top 4 advance from each bracket.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 days ago

Judgeholder. I will certainly be making use of the time I have to make sure I'm happy with these, so I won't declare them done yet, but I will accept questions/concerns.

Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Not a whole lot of Timmy appeal (deathtouch is fine, turning their own creatures into a 1/1 less so), but Johnny likes what they see, even if this isn't the most exciting example of "turn back" for them. Spike find it intriguing enough.
(3/3) Elegance - Simple enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Either color works fine for either cost. Uncommon is likely correct for turn back being instant speed interfering with combat math. A mechanic that puts the exiled card back into the library feels rather unlikely; this could just have easily just had a duration of "until your next upkeep" and stayed in exile.
(3/3) Balance - Seems perfectly reasonable for what it is. The recursion isn't a balance issue, for this specific card at least.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Deadly Allure was the first card that came to mind when I saw this. They are quite different in meaningful ways of course, but granting deathtouch is not unusual in black and green. The method here is highly unique though.
(3/3) Flavor - Turn back is certainly an evocative name for a mechanic. The name is a little on the nose with the mechanics, but overall this is a neat flavor package.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Magic favors contractions, should it should be "it's blocking", not "it is blocking". Key word abilities such as "Double strike" and "Split second" suggest that "Turn Back" should be "Turn back". As well, I'm certain the shuffling part of turn back needs to be worded as a triggered ability; reminder text may not technically be rules text, but this example is clearly trying to spell out how it works. I suspect you're trying to avoid having it be a triggered ability, and I'm not sure there's a clean way to do that with the card being shuffled.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Flavor text includes "Oscrad", but the color identity contains more than one color.

Total: X/25

Watermark design: "Survival of the fittest" is what comes to mind.
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy wishes it were bigger to start with, but it does grow. A reliable way to provide multiple trigger conditions for Johnny. It does do a lot of work if it can keep getting in, but I suspect that cost is unappealing for Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Reference aside, this could easily be blue/black. This could be justifiably an uncommon. The very high multicolor commitment on a common would require a format as unusual as Alara Reborn to support, but it certainly could be done.
(2.5/3) Balance - It does a lot of work, but it comes down fairly late for its size, and it has no innate protection beside being unblockable. Could be rather nasty in Limited anyway, for a common, assuming the environment supports playing four colors. Probably not playable elsewhere due to high cost and lack of protection.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - It's a bit of an ability soup that's intended to call back to its namesake. The whole package hasn't been done, but there's nothing terribly unique going on otherwise.
(3/3) Flavor - Sure. Glint-Eye Nephilim always had a strong flavor of avarice, and this certainly plays along with that.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - I'm fairly certain a "then" is needed between "put a +1/+1 counter on it," and "that player discards".
(1/2) Subchallenges - Flavor text contains "Glint-Eye", but the color identity is well over one color.

Watermark design: I would honestly expect the symbols for the nephilim to be much cruder in design. I get that it's "Glint"-Eye, but this is shiny in the wrong ways; it looks too innocent.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy may not normally enjoy sacrificing creatures, but they surely enjoy feeding a dragon. Some Johnny angles, but nothing overly notable. Spike likes it quite fine, especially since it can provide fodder for future copies.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The third ability has quite a bit going on (if statement, two different if often identical tokens), but otherwise fine.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Monoblack is reasonable, as is mythic.
(3/3) Balance - Certainly a limited bomb, as one would expect of a mythic. The life loss does feel like a relevant drawback, over the likes of Skullmulcher, which seems to be the closest comparison. I think the hoops and lack of innate protection make this reasonable.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The aforementioned Skullmulcher does do the "devoured" ability. Monocolored cards requiring stuff of other colors to get full value is certainly an Alara classic. It's an interesting package, at least.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Flavor text is generic enough that it could be applied to other cards, and this actually feels like an unusual card to bear it. Research was sufficient to confirm that 'Varakna' is a notable, if little mentioned, location on Jund, that pairs well with this creature being black, so that's cool. It certainly feels like a Jund dragon.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Looking at existing examples, I believe it would be "you draw a card and you lose 1 life for each creature it devoured." instead of "you draw X cards and you lose X life, where X is the number of creatures it devoured." More in line with those examples, and a little shorter too.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both fulfilled.

marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy will appreciate this greatly. Some stuff for Johnny, but nothing too interesting. Spike finds it quite strong for the cost, even if they won't often expect to get the card draw.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This has the kind of simple power that mythics are made of, but rare is likely fine. I can agree with white for the color. I don't see a notably good reason for the last ability to trigger on the end step instead of right when three or more Golem Cats attack. It does mean you don't get the card if this doesn't survive combat, but Catpal doesn't have to attack to get the card already.
(3/3) Balance - This has a bit in common with God-Eternal Oketra. Not quite as potent on the combat or token front, but the card draw is nice, if focused on a specific pair of creature types. Legendary is sufficient to make this reasonable.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Slightly weird trigger timing certainly makes this a bit more unique, but this feels like God-Eternal Oketra minus otherwise.
(2/3) Flavor - Honestly this feels like it needs more. 'Solidified' implies that Catpal here may not have always been a Golem, which could certainly be interesting to explore. The Golem Cat tokens and card draw work with the 'Hero' part, and first strike covers the flavor text, but I wish the flavor text were a bit more holistic in explaining this creature.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "white" should be lowercase in the token creation ability.

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - This has pretty close to full appeal; cool Angel for Timmy, undercosted for its power for Spike, and Johnny is mostly just interested in seeing how to be able to cast any and every devoted creature, restriction be damned; the example here doesn't have any Johnny appeal beyond that thought though.
(2.5/3) Elegance - That I have to ask whether or not I can cast this if I control no nonland permanents does pose an issue (pretty sure the answer is that I can't).

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - White and rare are certainly appropriate. Did devoted need to be a supertype instead of a keyword? There are some potential benefits, but it's an odd choice. It also makes for an awkward Limited environment; pushing monocolor is reasonable, but this all but requires it; any other color can only be used for instants/sorceries, or something high cost to end the game. As a combined flavor/mechanic note, the flavor text seems to imply that the devoted are a monowhite faction, which would be a poor use of a new supertype, but I will give the benefit of the doubt here.
(2/3) Balance - It is quite undercosted, but it requires any white nonland permanent to cast, and frankly that could be reasonable enough a drawback, if not for the bonus for devotion on top. This can certainly make monowhite aggro very potent, and that's something white is usually fairly handy at. This could plausibly be a 5/5 flier that can also work defense as early as turn 3. And you can run other colors with it, if you focus on nonpermanents.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - I have to give points for the new supertype, but the card itself isn't terribly novel mechanically.
(3/3) Flavor - The flavor text certainly gets across that these 'devoted' creatures are not so much devoted to you but to a higher plan.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - should be "slaughter ANY" not "slaughters ANY" to keep the grammer consistent. Also not technically incorrect, but it's generally more favorable to un-italicize text you want to emphasize in flavor text over caps, but there are of course examples of caps being used in flavor text.

Watermark description: This might work? I'd need to see a mock up I think; this is implied to be a twisted kind of 'teamwork' in flavor.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This looks to have full appeal; Timmy and Johnny love copying, and the price is definitely right for Spike.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Wordy ability.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Blue is right, but this looks more like a rare. It's not quite Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief, but it certainly has its own upsides.
(3/3) Balance - High potential, but Ivy isn't terribly busted, and this isn't quite as broad reaching.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Ivy may exist, but copying the other creature too gives this a unique feel.
(3/3) Flavor - This is pretty cool flavor for a fan.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Watermark design: I wasn't exactly sure what the flavor of the Victory Legion was based on the card, though it does a good enough job anyway. This pretty much seals it as a superhero theme. I quite like it.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 5 hours ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 12 hours ago

Sagharri
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Johnny has no interest whatsoever. Timmy and Spike don't mind a Mesa Unicorn but don't love the amount of work necessary to get it.
(3/3) Elegance - No issues with comprehensibility.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Usually green doesn't get lifelink, but black certainly does so I think this is an acceptable bend. Common is correct.
(1.5/3) Balance - Quite weak, even for a common. I struggle to think of a limited format where this would even be playable -- as mentioned, the ceiling is a Mesa Unicorn, which was hardly an all-star, and this has significant drawbacks compared to that.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While the overall structure of the card is familiar from cards like Bloodhall Ooze, the specific trigger off of having cast a specific color spell is more fresh.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Sure, it's basically fine. I don't quite get the best sense of who the Nua'vu are, but I guess they're some sort of shamanistic BUG-aligned faction.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Each of those abilities should be worded "enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if you've cast a blue spell" so -0.5 for each, and an additional 0.5 points off for having the p/t before the flavor text.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Mentioning color words has no impact on color identity, so yes to both.

Total: 18.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Johnny sees plenty of cool combos to be done gallantly. Spike sees a low-investment creature that can come out early and get out of control. Timmy likes that it can grow and produce tokens, but finds the things it asks for to be a bit fiddly.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The batching requires a bit of memory -- they make sense when you think about it, but it's not quite as obvious as "committing a crime"="targeting opponent's stuff."

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely rare, and white makes sense for both the mechanic and the effects.
(3/3) Balance - I don't think there are any easy infinite combos due to the requirement of paying mana to equip, but the untapping one is a little dangerous -- something like this, Devoted Druid, and a way of moving counters could do it, but that's hardly the most busted combo to involve Devoted Druid. I don't exactly know what a "gallantry" deck would look like, but this would definitely be a 4-of in it.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - As I mentioned, the "gallantry" batching does have echoes of committing a crime, but it certainly accomplishes it in a new way.
(3/3) Flavor - The only thing that doesn't quite fit with the total package is the colorless Pirate token, but I'll consider that to be a provocative hint rather than a mistake. The concept of the gallant pirates is very fun.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - I don't see any issues.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yes to both.

Total: 23.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Johnnies are the most interested in this, since it has the potential to basically end the game out of nowhere in a graveyard shenanigans deck. I think most Timmies would also be interested, since they love the potential to put 40 unblockable power into play with a single spell. Spike is a little wary of a six mana spell that also has a high setup cost and is fairly vulnerable to disruption (wraths and graveyard hate, in addition to the normal counterspells and discard) but obviously the ceiling on power level is quite high.
(2.5/3) Elegance - It's a substantial block of text, but ultimately both effects are straightforward and I didn't have to read it twice -- nice job with the challenge of counting two different things in a clear way. I do find the combination of colored and snow mana in the cost to be a bit inelegant, especially because the snow mana is unlikely to be much of a constraint at 6 mana in virtually any format.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Definitely appropriate as a snow card and a blue card. I'm a little torn on rarity -- Rise of the Varmints was just printed at uncommon, but the addition of unblockability on those tokens does make it a lot harder to deal with in limited, so rare might be more appropriate. I also have concerns about the amount of scrying that could be done -- in a dedicated snow deck this could easily be a scry 7 or 8, which really slows down games due to exponentially increasing numbers of decisions.
(3/3) Balance - Ultimately I don't think this is too busted. Its ceiling is very high in limited but its floor is very low so probably not too much of an issue, and it's quite vulnerable to disruption as stated above.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The comparison to Rise of the Varmints is clear, but counting things shuffled back in is totally new so I'll give almost full credit.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Fairly reminiscent of the Draugr on Kaldheim, but the flavor text is quite chilling (pardon my pun).

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Snow is not a color, so two points.

Total: 22/25
shullz
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Johnny loves cards like this that both make combo pieces cheaper and protect them. Spike is also interested in both aspects but is wary of the fact that this doesn't protect against 2-for-1s while the aura is on the stack. Timmy finds the idea of putting an aura on an artifact to be a bit fiddly.
(3/3) Elegance - Crystal clear.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely white and rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - A lot of the auras that can target artifacts are meant to shut them down rather than enhance them, but I suppose this could go in a deck with a lot of artifact creatures. Still, it's not a strategy that screams "competitively viable" even if this card would be a big boost for it.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The first ability is a more limited version of Hero of Iroas, but the only thing I can find that's anything like the second ability is Silkguard, which is not very close at all.
(3/3) Flavor - This all fits together nicely.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - I don't see any issues.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Full marks.

Total: 22.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy is the only one who's interested; they imagine playing this late in the game and smashing in with a 9/9 haste. Johnny doesn't really see a way to abuse this -- they like haste but a simple +1/+1 per haste isn't their thing. Spike is well aware that all it takes is one chump blocker the turn this comes down and it goes back to being an irrelevant 2/2 for the rest of the game, so they'd prefer to stick with a Charging Monstrosaur.
(3/3) Elegance - No issues with comprehensibility.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red, and I think rarity is probably right. I'm not sure if I would have penalized at common, but I won't at uncommon.
(2/3) Balance - However, it is fairly weak for an uncommon. I doubt this would see much play at all, even in red/white decks -- admittedly the list of 4-drop uncommons with haste is overall uninspiring, but I don't think this surpasses even a Snare Thopter.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - I guess it's new for red to like plains instead of hating them, but we've seen plenty of creatures that benefit from having other colors' lands.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Unfortunately, that's not really the meaning of "revolting" even if it seems like it should be -- something like "rebellious" would make more sense. Otherwise it's a fun idea.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges - Mentioning land types has no impact on color identity, so double yes.

Total: 20/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes creature combat and hates first strike on blockers so this is great for them. Spike sees this as a mediocre threat that also doubles as mediocre creature removal, which is passable. Johnny has no interest at all.
(2.5/3) Elegance - I think this is mostly fine. The one issue is that this doesn't say that those creatures can't gain those abilities, which could trip up some newer players.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yep uncommon is definitely right and red has removed first strike and indestructible before.
(2.5/3) Balance - It's not going to be a limited all-star, but it should be able to force some unfavorable blocks sometimes, or eat removal to avoid said blocks. Definitely not playable in constructed formats but that's okay.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Provoke hasn't been done in a while but it's obviously not new. Removing first strike from blockers hasn't been done since Talruum Champion but it's also not new.
(3/3) Flavor - I certainly wouldn't want to meet these saurids in a dark jungle.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep yep.

Total: 21/25
Results
Show
Hide
void_nothing: 23.5
shullz: 22.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 22
Komandon: 21