Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL March Signups/Round 1

"Arcadian Monsters"

Hythonia the Cruel, taken from pucatrade.com, by Chris Rahn and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mythos Month here in the CCL! Everyone knows Magic draws heavily on real-world mythology to make its settings and stories. In this month we'll be doing what R&D's Creative department does - adapting myth-based concepts from around the world into the multiverse of Magic.

Challenge
Design a non-Human creature card based on a creature from Greek mythology.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
  • Your card can, flavorfully speaking, have a Theros setting or any other plane.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Saturday, March 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (March 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due March 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (March 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 29th)
  • Final (Aoril, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

The Five Plague-Bearers 3BR
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Saga (Mythic)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after V.)
I, II, III: Destroy target artifact or creature.
IV, V: Destroy two target artifacts and/or creatures. If The Five Plague-Bearers dies this way, you lose the game.
5/5

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Ribdis, Swallower of the Sea 5UU
Legendary Creature - Leviathan (R)
3U: Return target creature to its owner's hand. Ribdis, Swallower of the Sea gains hexproof until end of turn.
"After her first gulp, the tallest mountains pierced the waves. Her second brought forth the islands. It is said that even Thassa fears her third."
-Bayma, Lagonna-Band Storyteller

7/7

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Cacophonous Choir 2UR
Creature - Siren {U}
Flash
Flying
When Cacophonous Choir enters the battlefield during the declare attackers step, for each attacking creature, its controller reselects which player or planeswalker that creature is attacking, and must select a different player or planeswalker if able.
2/3

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Tetraceph Devastator 2BR
Creature--Hound (Mythic)
Haste
when Tetraceph Devastator dies, you may tap four untapped creatures you control. When you do, cast target nonland card in a graveyard with converted mana cost 4 or less without paying its mana cost.
Only a mad god would ever think a Cerberus didn't have enough heads
4/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 4 years ago

Chimeric Manticore 4br
Creature - Chimera Manticore (M)
First strike, deathtouch
If a creature dealt damage by Chimeric Manticore would die, exile it instead.
As long as a creature card exiled with Chimeric Manticore has flying, Chimeric Manticore has flying. The same is true for double strike, haste, hexproof, indestructible, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance.
4/4
Last edited by scarbo 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Cyclops of the Forge 2RR
Creature - Cyclops (U)
Menace
Whenever Cyclops of the Forge becomes tapped, put a work counter on it.
Equipment spells you cast and equip costs you activate cost 1 less for each work counter on Cyclops of the Forge.
4/3
Last edited by jamblock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Terror of the Strait 4BR
Legendary Creature - Nymph Horror (R)
Deathtouch, reach
Whenever one or more creatures attack you, their controller divides those creatures into a "whirlpool" pile and a "monster" pile. Then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, destroy each creature in a whirlpool pile.
Creatures in a whirlpool pile can't be blocked.
3: Terror of the Strait fights target creature in a monster pile.
5/5
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

FoilSquared
Good evening, 47...
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoilSquared » 4 years ago

Thyroxis, Golden Ram W
Legendary Creature - Sheep
Thyroxis, Golden Ram can't be sacrificed.
While an opponent is choosing targets as part of casting a spell they control or activating an ability they control, that player must choose Thyroxis, Golden Ram if able.
When Thyroxis, Golden Ram dies, you get an emblem with "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to creatures you control." and create three Treasure tokens.
0/1
It continues to graze, unaware of the thousands that have died in search of its hide.
EDH:
BTergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's LanternB

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Stymphalian Flock 2ww
Creature - Bird (r)
Flying, first strike
Whenever Stymphalian Flock becomes the target of a spell or ability you may sacrifice it. If you do, create four 1/1 white Bird creature tokens with flying and first strike.
4/4

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Stalking Ophiotaur 2BR
Creature — Ox Snake (Uncommon)
Menace
Whenever Stalking Ophiotaur attacks, you may sacrifice another creature or enchantment. If you do, Stalking Ophiotaur gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost.
The polis of Skophos is heavily guarded, and not just by minotaur.
3/3

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Little Owl
Creature - Bird (Mythic Rare)
Flying
Other bird creatures you control get +0/+2.
Whenever Little Owl blocks, you may pay . If you do, draw a card.
Sought after by the uncaged lions, this owl sees its pray in a new light.
1/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The round is closed. Please critique the six contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

netn10
slimytrout
RaikouRider
kwanyeegor-ii
scarbo
jamblock
Ink-Treader
FoilSquared
Henlock
Subject16
marioguy3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

scarbo - Pretty cool but doesn't seem like its ability get used a lot, nobody will attack into it or block it

jamblock - super flavorful, I really like reducing both costs too

Ink-Treader - Scylla and Charybdis in one, wow that's impressive... raging river reference too? such a weird cool card, would want to see it in action

FoilSquared - pretty innovative thing to give to white, definitely a creative card, but might be too easy to get rid of and get the big benefit

Henlock - good mechanicaly but the styphalian birds don't seem like they'd be white

Subject16 - seems okay, fits with the BR theme of theros beyond death, but a little boring

1 Ink-Treader
2 jamblock
3 FoilSquared
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Cacophonous Choir: Kinda awkward wording, and the effect is almost entirely useless in a single player game. Also not really what sirens are generally about, which is luring people to their doom, not getting them to attack other people.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Tetraceph Devastator: This should probably exile itself on death, otherwise you could have them constantly recurring each other. Also R/B don't tend to use tapping a lot of creatures as a cost. But overall a fun card.
scarbo
Show
Hide
Chimeric Manticore: Lotta text that would mean absolutely nothing, since no one would tangle with this in combat unless they absolutely had to. Also not a fan of taking two creature types that players already barely understand and mashing them together to make it even less comprehensible.
jamblock
Show
Hide
Cyclops of the Forge: Not sure why it's "becomes tapped" instead of "attacks" - maybe for vehicle synergies? If so, would have preferred that to be included in the cost reduction. But otherwise very fun card.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Terror of the Strait: Not sure why it's not "Terrors of the Strait," since it seems to be capturing both, but otherwise very flavorful, perhaps to a fault, since I think players unfamiliar with the source material would be very confused.
FoilSquared
Show
Hide
Thyroxis, Golden Ram: Legendary flagbearer with upside if it dies. I don't think emblems should be given by non-planeswalkers, especially this easily - if your opponent is playing removal, sweepers, or ground creatures this is going to die and then you get a ton of ramp and a powerful emblem. Very unfun in limited, and to make matters worse you forgot a rarity.
T3
Show
Hide
1. jamblock
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Ink-Treader

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

FoilSquared
Show
Hide
This is far too strong I feel. Even with the "can't be sacrificed" text, its pretty easy to kill, and the reward for doing so is huge. and in the mean time, it also lightning rods opponent's spells and abilities to it. This needs to cost a lot more for what it is.
Henlock
Show
Hide
A little strong, but not overbearing. Mostly just dodges kill spells and the like.
Subject16
Show
Hide
I get that it wouldn't be quite accurate, but I really want this to be a Minotaur Snake. That aside, this is very solid card.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Mythic feels weird here. It's certainly decent, but this could perhaps be an uncommon. The last ability isn't so powerful on its own.
netn10
Show
Hide
I'm not sure what exactly this is referencing, but it does feel like it belongs. A Creature saga is very weird. This card can grant a lot of card advantage, but it gets risky. It does allow someone who doesn't want to take the risk to get out of it at stage III at least.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Pretty powerful if it gets to stick around. Being able to repeatably send creatures back to hand is potent. Doesn't seem too overbearing considering the mana investment.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. slimytrout
3. Henlock

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

critiques
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader - This does create some tension and obviously wants to be abused with Top. It does a whole lot of interesting things but the fact that it's either swingy in a way that might not be fun, or VERY good if you can manipulate your library, might be oppressive.
FoilSquared - Yes, you can't sacrifice it, but being able to deal 1 damage to this to get all those rewards feels like a quite easy way out, especially since you will easily net back more mana than you used. Cool adherence to lore, though.
Henlock - I like that the sacrifice is optional, I can't think of a card with an ability with that clause and it's very cool. Also, this is a very powerful but great-feeling card.
Subject16 - What a simple and flavorful uncommon! Since you have to sacrifice something big for it to get big, I kind of wish it also gained trample when you sacrifice, but it's still quite fun.
marioguy3 - As adorable as this is, I don't know if it's mythic! It's very cute, but ultimately just underwhelms me a bit, much as I like each component.
netn10 - A very interesting card as far as lore, and it does seem powerful. The idea of a saga creature is very cool but this doesn't feel like the creature IS a story. Cool effects, though!
1. Henlock
2. netn10
3. Subject16

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

netn10: Lots of consistent removal going on here, and I like the flavour of having to protect your own Saga. A Saga creature is a neat bit of design space.

slimytrout: I like the repeatable bouncing which goes well with Charibdys' mythos, but I also feel like it should say "up to one" so you don't need a target to activate the hexproof? Otherwise strong limited rare.

RaikouRider: This is Portal Mage on steroids and I love it. Definitely too complex a card for an uncommon, but stupidly fun shenanigans for multiplayer.

kwanyeegor-ii: It's a strong creature, a 4/4 four mana haster that can get you a free spell when it dies. Probably more rare than mythic. Having four untapped creatures is a pretty harsh condition though, and I think getting a free spell off it would be much harder.

scarbo: Soulflayer but with first strike and deathtouch built in. I love these types of keyword soup creators, and this design fits just right in its colors.

marioguy3: This is a fun card, but definitely not a mythic (probably uncommon really). Bird tribal is always something fun to see, and card draw on blocking can make an opponent wary of attacking.

Top 3:
1: Scarbo
2: RaikouRider
3: Netn10

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

1) Henlock
2) Ink-Treader
3) kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock