The DCC - November 14, 2019

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Weekend can't come soon enough.

DCC Scoreboard

Rithaniel 31 (+7)
RattingRots 27 (+0)
bravelion83 26 (+1)
netn10 24 (+2)
void_nothing 23 (+1)
Koopa 22
slimytrout 22 (+2)
Gateways7 22 (+3)
Sagharri 16
Henlock 14
wizyard 3 (+3)
kwanyeegor-ii 3
FoilSquared 3
Legend 1
marioguy3 0

bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: netn10, wizyard

Longing for Love 1RR
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant an unpaired creature you control
Enchanted creature has soulbond.
When Longing for Love enters the battlefield, you may pair enchanted creature with another unpaired creature you control.
Whenever enchanted creature or the creature it's paired with becomes the target of a spell or ability with a single target, if that spell or ability could target the other creature, copy it. The copy targets the other creature.
Notes
Show
Hide
See yesterday's card (Hunt for Knowledge) for inspiration.

If you don't want to go back, I'll repeat it here: it's the song "The Suffering" by Lagwagon, from their latest album "Railer", that just came out last month. The song is built around a speech by Bertrand Russell where he talks about the three passions that have governed his life, and I feel like they also govern my own life.

This is the second passion of Bertrand Russell's life (and mine). Hunt for Knowledge (yesterday's card) was the first.

This is a cycle of four cards: the three passions of Russell (and mine) plus a fourth card that puts them all together. I've already designed all four of them. This is card 2/4 in the cycle.

In each of the four cards I'm intentionally trying to push the boundaries in different ways. If you've read my posts in the MCC discussion thread, I'm trying to learn to do what Icarii (and others, but in that thread I was talking with him) usually do. I'm a person that naturally always plays in his comfort zone. I have to learn to venture out of it, and this four-card cycle is my current attempt.

Today I'm trying a new use for soulbond. The fact that the last ability also triggers from your opponents (not just you) targeting either creature is totally intentional. It's meant as the risk of playing this card. There's no room in the M15 frame for either soulbond's reminder text, or flavor text, which would be:
"Don't worry, darling. We're in this together!"
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
netn10, Rithaniel

Minister of Tides uu
Creature - Merfolk Cleric (r)
Whenever a basic island enters the battlefield under your control, add , spend this mana only to cast Merfolk spells.
2/2
RattingRots wrote:
4 years ago
I like almost all of these conceptually, but a lot are a bit too overpowered IMO. I might try to comment on some more if I get time.

Votes: slimytrout, Gateways7 (EDIT: Thought about this some more and I don't think it's OP)

Educated Guess 1UU
Sorcery (C)
Return up to one target instant card from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw a card.

EDIT:
notes
Show
Hide
netn10- basically echoing slimytrout. This card is ridiculously strong. I think it's probably too good even at 1UR.

Rithaniel- I think five soldiers is too many at this cost. The flexibility of being able to just use this to end the game if your opponent is at low life or you have other creatures, and also gets to just make 5 tokens for five and put you way ahead inn the life total race in all other cases (which is likely above rate even just for that scenario).

wizyard- This is costed fine. I think the ability requiring exactly 3 colors could create some frustrating situations. I get trying to specifically reward three color strategies for shards, but I think the tradeoff is probably too steep.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
wizyard, gateways7

hm: netn10. I love the name, but the card is busted as hell. Absurd with snapcaster in basically all formats. Think about how much stronger Electrolyze is than Twin Bolt, and then picture a card that's that about much stronger than Lightning Bolt.

Scrapyard Shaman 2R
Creature – Goblin Shaman (R)
Nonland cards in your hand have cycling 3.
"Trash, garbage, rubbish… SHINY!"
2/2
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: wizyard, Rithaniel

Polar Vortex
Legendary Enchantment (Mythic Rare)
Shroud
Lands don't untap during each player's untap step. Whenever a land you control becomes tapped for mana, it taps for colorless instead.
Activated abilities of artifacts you control can't be activated.
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Rithaniel, void_nothing

By The Book 3WU
Instant (Rare)
Return all creatures to their owners' hands. Players can't cast creature spells this turn.
Addendum — If you cast this spell during your main phase, instead return all creatures your opponents controls to their owners' hand. You opponents can't cast creature spells until your next turn.
The law is always fair, but its consequences aren't.
Gateways7 wrote:
4 years ago
wiyzard, Rithaniel

Qann, Ancient Primality UBRG
Legendary Creature - Elemental (mythic)
Trample
During each of your turns, you may play up to one multicolored card from your graveyard.
Whenever a multicolored creature you control dies, draw a card.
4/4

Render!
Rithaniel wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, slimytrout

Winds of Death 1wbg
Sorcery R
Each player chooses a card in their graveyard. Exile all cards not selected this way from that your opponent's graveyards. Each other player returns the card they selected to their hand.
"Winds are difficult to read. A breeze might be a soul leaving this coil to join the afterlife, or it might be a soul seeking a new body."
—Yuasha, Skara soothsayer
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Rithaniel, Gateways7

Damning Voice 3BB
Instant (C)
Exile target enchantment, planeswalker, or Angel you don't control. Its controller loses 1 life.
"Mourning alone is agony. That is why I punish you: So I have your tears for company." - Caligina, fallen archangel
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Votes:
slimytrout (I love both the mechanics and the flavor!)
RattingRots (I've had to check that this card doesn't actually exist. I don't usually do that in the DCC. The fact that I had to do it here must mean it's good and definitely worthy of my vote)
Honorable mention
Show
Hide
netn10 (I really like the card, but the little details caused me to vote for the other two. "Addendum" should be in italics, and "your opponents controls" is a clear typo.)
Unbearable Pity WB
Instant (R)
You lose half your life, rounded up. Creatures you control that are blocking or blocked get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the life you lost this turn.
"I wish I could solve by myself all the problems of the world, hunger, poverty, wars, you name them... but I can't! Why do I wish? Because if all other people are happy, I am happy too, and I want to be happy! All I can do is just trying, but it's really just too much for a single being."
—Jeff Lionheart

Notes
Show
Hide
See past cards (Hunt for Knowledge and Longing for Love) for inspiration.

If you don't want to go back, I'll repeat it here: it's the song "The Suffering" by Lagwagon, from their latest album "Railer", that just came out last month. The song is built around a speech by Bertrand Russell where he talks about the three passions that have governed his life, and I feel like they also govern my own life.

This is the third passion of Bertrand Russell's life (and mine). Hunt for Knowledge and Longing for Love were the first two.

This is a cycle of four cards: the three passions of Russell (and mine) plus a fourth card that puts them all together. By yesterday, I had already designed all four of them. This is card 3/4 in the cycle. Last one tomorrow.

In each of the four cards I'm intentionally trying to push the boundaries in different ways. If you've read my posts in the MCC discussion thread, I'm trying to learn to do what Icarii (and others, but in that thread I was talking with him) usually do. I'm a person that naturally always plays in his comfort zone. I have to learn to venture out of it, and this four-card cycle is my current attempt.

Today's card is the closest to traditional Magic of the four. I wanted it to cost two mana and be WB (you'll see tomorrow why). I felt like being WB fit the concept very well. This is pity for mankind, thus making mandink stronger thanks to your pity and care for it. It's mankind in Russell's quote, but all your creatures and not just Humans here for simplicity of play. And it's unbearable, it makes you suffer (which it actually does, I can testimony this), and what's one of the ways to show suffering in Magic? Life loss, which by the way should also help for balance. And I wanted to be splashy, and "lose half your life" should definitely be. Also, I say "blocking or blocked" because I don't want this to play like: turn 1, cast any random unblockable creature (probably something like a 1/1 with flying), turn 2 cast this and get the creature unblocked, dealing combat damage equal to ten plus the creature's base power, so probably 11 or 12 damage by turn two. I didn't want that, so I restricted this to work only when the creatures are involved in combat with other creatures. The phrase "blocking or blocked" also gives very few results on Gatherer, so apparently that's kinda pushing the boundaries too.

This is, like all four cards in the cycle, a top-down card designed from the name. I don't feel safe about it, like the other cards of the cycle. And that's exactly why I'm posting these cards in these days. I'm trying to see what happens when I willingly get out of my comfort zone. In two days I'll definitely be back to "into the box" territory, but first I want to see how this experiment goes.

You will have to wait for my next custom story and set, if I'll ever make them public, to meet Jeff again. But in the meantime, enjoy him trying to save the world but obviously not being able to. As a character, he would totally like to be able to save the world. Not being able to do it is definitely unbearable to him. And let's also put this in: Jeff is Naya in colors. This is a black card with flavor text from a nonblack character, but a flavor text that still totally feels WB to me while also fitting Jeff's character quite well.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Votes: Gateways7, slimytrout

Antarctica
Legendary Land - Continent (Mythic Rare)
, Pay 3 life: Add one mana of any color.
Whenever a creature attacks you, if that creature's controller has more life than their starting life total, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 4 years ago

Henlock, bravelion83

[mention]bravelion83[/mention] that doesn't work within the rules, see Dream Leash for formating. since it says 'enchant unpaired' if it pairs with something at any point it'll fall right off

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

slimytrout, Gateways7

Arbitrary Taxation w
Enchantment (r)
As Arbitrary Taxation enters the battlefield, name a card other than a basic land.
Whenever an opponent plays a card with the chosen name, draw a card.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Votes: Henlock, slimytrout

Hallowed Light4WW
Creature - Avatar (Rare)
Mirrored 4BB (You may cast the other face of this card for 4BB)
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player draws a card.
Hallowed Light's power and toughness are each equal to the number of cards in the hand of the opponent with the most cards in hand.
*/*
////////
Hollowed Darkness 4BB
Creature - Avatar (Rare)
Mirrored 4WW (You may cast the other face of this card for 4WW)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Hallowed Light's power and toughness are each equal to the number of cards in your hand.
*/*

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

henlock, rattingrots

Replicating Helm 2
Artifact – Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has vigilance.
Whenever equipped creature dies, create a token that's a copy of Replicating Helm.
Equip 2
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

slimytrout, voidnothing

Ravage of Anguish 1B
Instant (uncommon)
Morbid — If a creature died this turn, destroy target creature.
Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Render

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, void_nothing
Revised Wording
Show
Hide
I screwed up the wording on yesterday's card. So I decide to redo it entirely:

"For each player, that player chooses a card in their graveyard. Then, if that player is an opponent, exile all other cards from that graveyard. Otherwise, that player returns that card to their hand."
Crack in the Mind
Sorcery R
Target player may pay any amount of life. Then that player puts the top X cards of their library into their graveyard, where X is their life total.
The Cult of Jia specializes in forcing people to make impossible decisions.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

netn10, Gateways7

Develop 2G
Instant (U)
Draw a card.
You may put a permanent card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your hand onto the battlefield.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Votes: netn10, Gateways7

Shrieking Battering Ram R
Creature - Spirit Juggernaut (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a Skeleton or pay 5.
Shrieking Battering Ram attacks each combat if able.
When Shrieking Battering Ram dies, target player sacrifices a nonbasic land.
6/1
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”