Withered Recollections (Beledros Witherbloom)

Phoenixlance
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Phoenixlance » 1 year ago

Withered Recollections

Commander:

Multi-Target Removal:

Approximate Total Cost:

What's going on here?
I've been wanting a big-mana deck in my arsenal, and Golgari was a color pair I hadn't tried yet. Seasons Past is also one of my favorite Magic cards of all time, and I wanted to build a deck that was build to last to the very late game to fully abuse the advantage loop it represents.

Ideally the deck wants to ramp early and use removal to keep the board honest until your engine gets online. Then eventually just bury people underneath it.

Why Beledros Witherbloom?
I have a love for Elder Dragons, and I really liked the idea of having an Early Harvest sitting in my command zone for when it's time to "go off." It being able to churn out Pests to gum up the ground isn't bad either. That being said, there are certainly commanders who are potentially better suited to this build. The Gitrog Monster immediately comes to mind, however I find that he tends to put a target on my back and can too easily descend into combo for my tastes. Tasigur, the Golden Fang would not only give us access to blue, but is an additional recursion engine in the command zone. Mookie has a wonderful primer if you would like to see how something like this would look with Silumgar's favorite necklace at the helm. Finally, Sarulf, Realm Eater lends itself as being mass removal in the command zone but can be potentially too oppressive in its own right.

How do you actually win?
Exsanguinate and Torment of Hailfire are the easy win buttons here. Between all your ramp, the usual Cabal Coffers shenanigans, or even Beledros just randomly generating an extra 10+ mana minimum on its own either X-spell will end the game in short order. We do have Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar as a self-recursive backup plan as well, with Archon of Cruelty and Vilis, Broker of Blood I guess being an honorable mentions.

Oh, and Field of the Dead. That's here too.

What are some other considerations?
I currently have a stack of cards headlined by Crucible of Worlds and Life from the Loam if I decided I wanted to restructure a good portion of my manabase to maximize both of those cards. For win conditions, I currently have on my testing block Cultivator Colossus, Grave Titan, Portal to Phyrexia, and Ancient Brass Dragon. I'm also thinking of adding an extra tutor or two to help with setting up chains to get Seasons Past online earlier. Finally, Force of Vigor and Culling Ritual headline the list of alternative/additional removal spells I could swap in depending on performance.
Last edited by Phoenixlance 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

Tags:

Phoenixlance
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Phoenixlance » 1 year ago

I finally managed to get a couple games in with this deck. But first, I made some changes before rolling out to the shop:
Changes
Approximate Total Cost:

Snow lands and Into the North allow me to turn on Field of the Dead more consistently. Font was the worst of the ramp spells so an easy cut. Dig Up, similarly, was the worst tutor and an easy swap for Grim Tutor. Finally, I totally forgot Vilis, Broker of Blood was a card until I found it in a random pile of unsorted rares and knew I had to try to live the dream.

I arrived a little late to the store so was only able to scrounge up a 3-player pod.

Game 1: vs. Isshin, Two Heavens as One and Lord Windgrace
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Windgrace and I had the same exact opening: Field of the Dead into BG dual land into 2 mana ramp spell. Isshin took a little slower route with land-pass for a few turns. I dropped Oracle of Mul Daya on turn 3 and continued to ramp, prompting Windgrace to use Strip Mine on my Field of the Dead. Isshin dropped Smothering Tithe and passed, while Oracle found Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers off the top so I could cast Mind's Eye. and begin drawing more cards.

Isshin dropped Serra Ascendant to start pressuring my life total, and then Windgrace tried to use their commander to bring back Strip Mine to stop my big mana from going out of control. However I used Crop Rotation in response to the minus ability to get Bojuka Bog. I used a Black Sun's Zenith for 6 to wipe the field, and Isshin used the chance to drop Godo, Bandit Warlord for Helm of the Host , I followed up with a Toxic Deluge to stop the impending combo, and dropped Beledros Witherbloom. I had Assassin's Trophy in hand as well, and was trying to save it for a time where I could get rid of Windgrace's Field which was soon to come online.

Beledros was met with Damn followed up by an Aurelia, the Warleader and an attempt to equip. Neither Windgrace nor myself were bothering to pay the Tithe tax so Isshin quietly had amassed a ton of treasures. This forced me to use Trophy on the Helm, and then Windgrace did their thing. Realms Uncharted found their own Coffers, plus Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, Bojuka Bog, and Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth. A ripped Prismatic Omen into a long string of extra land drops was all she wrote, and the table died to Valakut and Dread Presence triggers. Every Mind's Eye draw I had was a land.
Game 2: vs. Isshin and Atraxa, Grand Unifier
SPOILER
Show
Hide
After seeing the slowness of Isshin, and knowing that the Atraxa list was basically just 4-color Skeleton Ship and proliferate tribal, I decided to be incredibly greedy and keep 6 lands plus Nissa, Vastwood Seer // Nissa, Sage Animist. My turn 1 being Field of the Dead again helped make me feel better about the decision, however the two early Sol Rings across the table did not. Thankfully Isshin was still on land-pass, while Atraxa used Kiora's Follower and Necroskitter to put bodies on the board early. I continued to play 1 land at a time and dropped Nissa on Turn 3.

Atraxa and Isshin squabbled over an early Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon. that was eventually killed by Generous Gift and exiled with Bojuka Bog...only to be returned with a Pull from Eternity and waiting for a reanimation spell. They also began adding -1/-1 counters on our creatures--which literally only amounted to my Nissa and a Tymna the Weaver--so I cycled Decree of Pain to purposefully load up Atraxa's board thanks to their own Necroskitter and followed it up with a Gaze of Granite to wipe the entire board. I tried to immediately capitalize with Three Visits plus Vesuva on Field of the Dead to start generating pressure. My Twilight Prophet though was exiled.

Isshin continued to be a nonfactor, while Atraxa reloaded with their general and added Atraxa, Praetors' Voice as well. They also tried to Nest of Scarabs so they could amass their own token army thanks to -1/-1 counters provided by Harbinger of Night but a cycled Boseiju, Who Endures stopped that. I had Beledros out at this point, and then proceeded to rip Vilis, Broker of Blood off the drop. Down came the demon, floated mana to then pay 10, draw ten, and untap my lands. I followed up with Vedalken Orrery and passed after discarding to hand size.

Isshin overloaded Damn to deal with the board that had rapidly spiraled out of control. Atraxa was replayed and they attempted to Bojuka Bog me, but I cast Beseech the Queen into Primal Command in response to save my graveyard and tutor for Archon of Cruelty. On Atraxa's next turn they swung at me for 7, and I traded Tear Asunder and Mortality Spear for their general and Countersquall to put me to 17. They followed up with Heartmender and Wickerbough Elder, and during their end phase I cast Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar. Isshin played Crackling Doom to kill the Multani, and Atraxa used Elder to stop Orrery. However, this tapped them both out and I was able to recast Beledros and Torment of Hailfire for 16, killing the table and leaving me at 5 life.
I was really happy with how the second game went; it really was the vision I had when building this deck. Play lands, control the board, shotgun blast via giant X-spell to win. I feel like Game 1 could've gone differently if I hit just a little more action with Mind's Eye.

This deck could probably use more lifegain. Right now it feels like I have to be very conservative with that particular resource so I have enough in the tank to use Beledros more liberally. I would like to be able to feel comfortable using it in response to problematic plays from the opponent as well as proactively on my turns. I also may want to consider adding some additional cheap interactive pieces as well so I am relying less on clunky mass removal pieces.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”