Brokkos, Apex of Forever: There Ain't No Grave Can Hold My Body Down

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them, and that is eternity."
- Edvard Munch

For years I struggled in vain to build a deck that ticked a few very specific boxes. They are as follows:

a) is a blue-based control deck
b) has no creatures other than the commander
c) utilizes the graveyard but isn't reliant on it
d) doesn't use combos to win
e) the commander isn't overplayed
f) the commander has an aesthetic I like

This was an incredibly difficult cluster of criteria to wrangle with. I could get most of them fulfilled, but never all of them, and I resigned myself to feverishly refreshing Twitter during spoiler season in the hopes that something would pique my interest. @DirkGently's Phelddagrif deck came very close, but I could never vibe with the hippo. It always felt like someone else's deck, and that stopped me from fully enjoying it. However, one thing I did respect about the hippo is just how sticky it is. Phelddagrif's self-bounce means that removal is all but wasted on it. See, one of the key characteristics of a control deck win condition is resilience. The fewer resources you have to devote to protecting your chosen win con, the more you can use to contain your opponents, which is a form of virtual card advantage.

This is where Brokkos, Apex of Forever comes in.

There's a role in control decks I like to refer to as the janitor. A good janitor is a win condition that is compact, resilient, and efficient at closing out games. Think Morphling in days past, or Aetherling when RTR was in Standard, or Celestial Colonnade in Modern control decks. Instead of having built-in protection like hexproof or indestructible, Brokkos brings self-recursion to the table. For the low cost of five mana, you have constant access to a respectable body with an excellent form of evasion, provided you already have a creature in play. How do we get creatures in a deck without creature cards? Well, either through the creation of tokens or the activation of manlands. The great thing about lands is, besides taking up effectively no deck slots, that they're extremely easy to recur with cards I already want to run, like Life from the Loam and Crucible of Worlds. By being able to easily recur Brokkos turn after turn, the deck has a very inevitable win condition that is incredibly difficult to meaningfully interact with. You can only delay Brokkos, not stop him.

The rest of the deck, then, is built around surviving long enough to capitalize on that inevitability. It's chock full of removal, countermagic, and a few key cards as well as the tutors to find them. You know what a control deck does.

There Ain't No Grave Can Hold My Body Down

Commander:

Sol Ring: 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Here's a brief analysis.

Lands

Forty-three seems like a lot, but that's about how many you need to hit your first five land drops consistently. As the average mana cost of the deck is about 2.6, the critical turn is around 5.2, and this rounds down to five most efficiently. Indeed, the expected value for lands with this count is 5.2. Thus, I want to make my first five land drops almost every time. Mostly balanced by fetchlands and their normal targets, I run a total of five lands relevant lands to Brokkos, Apex of Forever: Blinkmoth Nexus, Inkmoth Nexus, Mishra's Factory, Field of the Dead, and Volrath's Stronghold. I originally ran Haunted Fengraf and Khalni Garden, but they're too terrible to play, even here.

Countermagic

Twelve could be the way. The expected value from a hypergeometric calculation is just under 1 after your first draw step, giving you a 66% chance on average to have one early on for interaction, if necessary. I run the best, most efficient, and most versatile counters I can.

Spot Removal

Same as countermagic, twelve is the magic number. I tried to diversify things enough to hit as many targets as possible at no more than 3mv. You miss white's instant speed removal suite here as opposed to being in Bant colors, but it's not as bad as you think.

Board Wipe

This is where things get a little desperate. If our removal suite is slightly weaker because of losing Swords to Plowshares, then our wipe selection is severely lacking in comparison. Toxic Deluge maybe the most efficient creature wipe in the format, but it's not enough to make up for losing Hour of Revelation, let alone Farewell. As a result, we have to play Oblivion Stone and Consuming Tide. Tide is actually pretty solid; since we only have one relevant permanent, keeping it in play while opponents scoop their board up and typically cantripping at worst is a great value play. This is the area of the deck I'm least happy with, but when they print another solid black sweeper I think things will be better.

Draw

There's a mix of cantrips and substantial draw spells here. I can't speak highly enough of cantrips. I sometimes cut them but they always make their way back into most of my blue decks. The other draw spells are mid to late game spells that help replenish your hand after interacting with stuff. And then there's Top. Top is included as a recurring cantrip with fetchlands.

Tutor

The best reason to be in black, they turn the rest of the deck into a toolbox of disruption by enabling us to find the precise answer we need to a particular problem. Gotta love 'em. Obviously, tutors are threatening to seasoned players, so judicious and last-minute use of them is recommended. However, the best reason to use tutors is to fuel my favorite card and interaction in the game:

Recursion

Seasons Past. What an absolute beauty of a card. Elegantly designed to both avoid abuse via limiting what you can recur and encourage it by being tutorable, It's not always needed, but being able to pull this combo out and say to the table, "This is my final form," is always satisfying. It's like reloading the shotgun in Doom. A visceral, primal tingle runs through my body every time. It's a good feel.

Fog

Sometimes, you just need to Time Walk someone who is trying to kill you in combat. I feel a little bad for running Constant Mists and Crucible of Worlds, but I wouldn't play this deck at a low-tier table since it would be pubstomping.

Time

Well, gotta win somehow. Part of an infinite time loop with Seasons Past, either Mystical Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Solve the Equation, or Dark Petition, and 12-14 mana.

Sol Ring

It's Sol Ring.
Last edited by TheGildedGoose 1 year ago, edited 9 times in total.

Tags:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

After doing some thinking during the day, I decided I wanted to give Hostile Negotiations a shot. The card is sweet and similar to one of my other favorite cards, Fact or Fiction, and this deck can really utilize both parts of the spell. When I got home and did a test run, I got pretty flooded out, so 43 is probably a better place to be than 45. If we take our critical turn at 5, 43 is sufficient for an expected value of 5.2 and a 67% chance of getting to 5.

I also decided to cut the cantrips. They're good to great at every stage of the game, but I'm replacing them with bulkier, more impactful card draw spells like the aforementioned Negotiations as well as Treasure Cruise. Since I have to cut lands, I'm adding in a counterspell (Countersquall), a removal spell (Capsize), and a recursion spell (Treasured Find). They're generically decent.

- Brainstorm
- Ponder
- Preordain
- Island
- Forest

+ Hostile Negotiations
+ Treasure Cruise
+ Treasured Find
+ Countersquall
+ Capsize

EDIT: Oh, I'm not running Cavern of Souls. I should do that.

- Island
+ Cavern of Souls

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Kinda weird that you're not running Creeping Tar Pit or Lumbering Falls. I figured they would be the premier targets onto which to mutate.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Kinda weird that you're not running Creeping Tar Pit or Lumbering Falls. I figured they would be the premier targets onto which to mutate.
I thought so too at first. Problems are, the power and toughness setting aspect overrides Brokkos being a 6/6, they're expensive to activate, and entering in tapped is a real problem in a deck running so many tapped lands already. The cheap to activate manlands tend to be more effective.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I thought so too at first. Problems are, the power and toughness setting aspect overrides Brokkos being a 6/6, they're expensive to activate, and entering in tapped is a real problem in a deck running so many tapped lands already. The cheap to activate manlands tend to be more effective.
Really? Damn, I never knew! I could have sworn you could overwrite the p/t through mutate's stacking mechanic. I'll have to ask @WizardMN about mutate mechanics next time they pop by.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Really? Damn, I never knew! I could have sworn you could overwrite the p/t through mutate's stacking mechanic. I'll have to ask @WizardMN about mutate mechanics next time they pop by.
Yeah, you can't live the dream of mutating Brokkos onto a Mishra's Factory and giving it pseudo haste, unfortunately. You can't even dodge Cyclonic Rift by turning it back into a land, because it remains a creature.

The deck really needs more wipes. I completely forgot All Is Dust exists for some reason, and I'm even considering Gaze of Granite. It also requires an Exploration to capitalize on how many lands the deck accumulates with Life from the Loam and Crucible of Worlds as it's surprisingly mana hungry.

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Mutate works in Layer 1 along with Copy Effects and things that care about permanents being face down. Creature-Lands add in everything it says so they work generally in Layers 4, 6, and 7. 5 as well if they add a color which not many do. Since the P/T Setting is in Layer 7, it will apply on top of whatever the "printed" P/T is.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Yeah, you can't live the dream of mutating Brokkos onto a Mishra's Factory and giving it pseudo haste, unfortunately. You can't even dodge Cyclonic Rift by turning it back into a land, because it remains a creature.
I didn't follow along with everything so I might have missed some context, but Mutating *under* a Creature-Land means it is only a creature for as long as the land's effect says it is. Once the end of the turn rolls around, you now have a Brokkos that is no longer a creature until animated so it can dodge Rift in that way. Of course, if you Mutate on top of the land, it will remain a creature. And, to the more important part of the discussion, when you do animate it with the Factory's ability, it will be a 1/1 which isn't ideal anyway.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@WizardMN thank you, great guru of MTGN! Your expertise is insightful as always! I knew I could count on you :)

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Sweet deck! Seems like one of those you can play a 1000 matches with and get better and better, congratulations!
Any particular love for the cycling lands? Like Lonely Sandbar over Faerie Conclave

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Sweet deck! Seems like one of those you can play a 1000 matches with and get better and better, congratulations!
Any particular love for the cycling lands? Like Lonely Sandbar over Faerie Conclave
Thanks! It's definitely a work in progress, and since the deck lacks the power of White's board wipes, you can get run over if you're not careful. I think it's ultimately inferior to the Hippo, but it's fun being able to be the beatdown in a pinch.

The cycling lands are part of the Loam draw engine. If I'm honest, though, I'm a little let down by the Loam engine here. Dredging every turn feels bad, as it gives away that my deck is chock full of control. I'm thinking of cutting the Loam engine entirely, going down a land or two, and running the cantrips again. Loam is better in the late game, but feels a bit too expensive to maintain in the midgame.

Faerie Conclave is a card near and dear to my heart, having played Fish in Vintage for a brief period, but unfortunately entering tapped and costing two to activate isn't great. I think the handful of manlands I'm running now is sufficient.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Loam is out, time magic is in.

The Loam drawing engine isn't very good in decks that aren't Lands in my opinion. It's really mana intensive and wants you to play bad lands in order to support it. Plus, having your card advantage and selection contingent on a single card is a drawback. If you're playing multiple lands per turn, go for it; otherwise, there are better ways to draw cards. Also, Intuition is out because there are better tutors to run since I won't be getting Loam + 2 cycling lands.

Sometimes a deck just needs a nuclear option, and infinite turns with a 6/6 trampler is a good one. Temporal Manipulation and Time Warp aren't great on their own, but being able to take infinite turns with Seasons Past, a tutor, and 12-14 mana available is a decent way to close out games. I'm not sure if one or two is the right call. I'm at one right now but two might be correct in case one gets exiled.

Otherwise, there's just some minor adjustments to the manabase to change out the cycling lands and the draw package to compensate for Loam going. Consequently, a couple of interaction spells also got cut.

- Life from the Loam
- Sultai Charm
- Countersquall
- Lonely Sandbar
- Barren Moor
- Tranquil Thicket
- Treasure Cruise
- Intuition

+ Temporal Manipulation
+ Brainstorm
+ Ponder
+ Preordain