[Titania] Dead of Winter

Sanity_Eclipse
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

The Dead of Winter

"Image"

Description

"Nature cannot be destroyed, only changed."

Mono has been one of the decks I've almost always had together in some shape or form. I've been set on Titania as the general since shortly after she was released, because she takes a staple strategy (ramping to the moon and back) and flips it on its side by encouraging you to sacrifice them as well. We've got a game plan of ramping up to 6 to 8 mana, and then we drop bombs. The toolbox contains grave hate, anti-countermagic, one-sided combat, protecting my field, land destruction punishment, permanent control, and recursion. Explode out of nowhere, drop bombs, come back from nothing, drop more bombs.

Decklist

Dead of Winter

Far Wanderer (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Information

Game Plan:
- Play lands. Play everything else ideally at instant speed.
- Fight other creatures, destroy problematic permanents.
- Sacrifice lands them with Titania in play.
- Smash face with big creature beats.

META - BUDGET - COMPETITIVENESS
My other decks are going to play this, and each other.
I'll spring for cards, when I can. Moat etc is gonna be out of the question.

Card Choices

Planeswalker
Show
Hide
Nissa, Vital Force|KLD - One of the most ideal Planeswalkers for Titania, really. Have a powerful land that enters the battlefield tapped? Not anymore. Need something back from the grave? Nissa's got your back. And the ultimate/emblem, which you only need to use her +1 once to get next turn, is amazing for a Lands-based build.
Creatures
Show
Hide
Azusa, Lost but Seeking|A25 - The strongest of the Extra Land Drop (ELD) effects. She also has the biggest target on her back. Titania wants about as many of the ELD effects as she can get.

Questing Beast|ELD - Definitely a beast with that ability/keyword soup. Fast, careful, killing machine that doesn't bother with weak creatures, and will most likely punch through damage to whatever needs to go away is worth considering on its own. Considering that Constant Mists|STH is a key Titania card, you can also make combat against you completely one-sided, while growing your army if Titania is on the battlefield.

Yeva, Nature's Herald|M13 - One of the ways in the deck to play like a deck, ie at Instant speed. Considering 's effects usually come stapled onto a creature if you look hard enough, you can build your board and play reactively/advantageously

Gargos, Vicious Watcher|M20 -

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa|ARC -

Sylvan Safekeeper|C14 -

Ulvenwald Tracker|MM3 -

Lotus Cobra|PGPX -

Dryad of the Ilysian Grove -

Eternal Witness|MMA -

Ramunap Excavator|PHOU -

Reclamation Sage|PM15 -

Shaman of Forgotten Ways|DTK - (WLB)

Springbloom Druid|MH1 - I was happy to find out that there was a Harrow on legs, personally. Ramp + land sacrifice is exactly what Titania wants. (WLB)

Wood Elves|9ED - One of the generically best versions of this effect. Provides a cheap creature to abuse if you can and gets you a basic Forest (untapped, too!). (WLB)

Beast Whisperer|GRN -

Oracle of Mul Daya|ZEN -

Primordial Hydra|M13 -

Scavenging Ooze|MM3 -

Voracious Hydra|M20 -

Prowling Serpopard|AKH -

Bramble Sovereign|BBD -

Temur Sabertooth|FRF -

Seedborn Muse|BBD -

Rampaging Baloths|IMA -

Woodland Bellower|ORI -

Foe-Razer Regent|PTKDF -

Archetype of Endurance|BNG -

Terastodon|CNS -

Woodfall Primus|UMA -
Last edited by Sanity_Eclipse 4 years ago, edited 43 times in total.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Tags:

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Deck's looking nice! Flavourful too - I like the idea of pairing Titania with 'dead of winter' in terms of land death, that's a clever theme.

Thoughts about Wave of Vitriol? I've found it remarkably useful. It's as fair as land destruction gets, and has a huge impact in terms of putting a green deck ahead. It also gives Titania an instant army as well as pseudo ramp. I'd recommend it.

Delving into niche cards, Nissa has had crazy good value from Baru, Fist of Krosa too - the grandeur mechanic is weird, granted, and most redundant in this format. Otherwise though, it pumps your entire team from any forest entering the battlefield, not just on your side of the field. It's finished the game for me off of Collective Voyage, Wave of Vitriol and just general ramp.

Just working off of rogerandover's Nissa list, would something like Tornado do any work for you? I've heard really good things about it in general.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Sanity_Eclipse

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Deck's looking nice! Flavourful too - I like the idea of pairing Titania with 'dead of winter' in terms of land death, that's a clever theme.

Thoughts about Wave of Vitriol? I've found it remarkably useful. It's as fair as land destruction gets, and has a huge impact in terms of putting a green deck ahead. It also gives Titania an instant army as well as pseudo ramp. I'd recommend it.

Delving into niche cards, Nissa has had crazy good value from Baru, Fist of Krosa too - the grandeur mechanic is weird, granted, and most redundant in this format. Otherwise though, it pumps your entire team from any forest entering the battlefield, not just on your side of the field. It's finished the game for me off of Collective Voyage, Wave of Vitriol and just general ramp.

Just working off of rogerandover's Nissa list, would something like Tornado do any work for you? I've heard really good things about it in general.
Funnily enough, the Snow forests were a throwback from when this deck was Yeva, and/or whatever other generals I had at the helm like, 7 years ago or whatever. I figured that Scrying Sheets and the snow basics would give even more advantage on a budget (I'm actually considering taking out Sheets, more on that later).

I'm hesitant on Wave of Vitriol because I am running a few more cards that get hit by it than your Nissa list, and said cards feel pretty crucial to keeping myself in the game. I may be a bit light on artifact / enchantment removal, which is a fair point. Steelbane Hydra is a consideration in that regard. Gets a counter from the The Great Henge, and can be pumped bigly by Castle Garenbrig and Gargos, Vicious Watcher. Reclamation Sage is in the mail, and then Vivien and the top of the curve creatures that hit non-creature permanents also help with A / E removal. As for instant army, I do have Scapeshift|M19 and Zuran Orb|V10 for that, which are both much cheaper in CMC. I have a Natural Balance as well, as one of several cards that could be included but I just don't have an immediate cut for.

No hate on Baru, I just have a different idea for that part of the deck. Elvish Fury and Monstrify are mainly here for Gargos, Vicious Watcher, but also work as general combat tricks since a lot of my crucial utility dudes have small bodies. Vivien Reid, Kamahl and the Goat of Death also provide buffs.

I'm generally not a fan of cumulative upkeep cards (too much bookkeeping and not always strong enough of an effect, I feel), plus I specifically chose multiple cards that hit non-creature permanents (or close enough to that) to have removal.

Thank you very much for you input! :)
Last edited by Sanity_Eclipse 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

For what it's worth, I found Natural Balance to be very fun/worth it with Lotus Vale and Scorched Ruins. I can only imagine it gets better and less risky with Lotus Field.

Sanity_Eclipse

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
For what it's worth, I found Natural Balance to be very fun/worth it with Lotus Vale and Scorched Ruins. I can only imagine it gets better and less risky with Lotus Field.
I probably got that from you in another thread, then. lol. I just don't have an immediate cut for it, need to see what works and what doesn't.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

From what I've heard, Concordant Crossroads works wonders with Titania. It's a pretty great way to make use of the beasts you create with Natural Balance or even if Zorb at sorcery speed.

A great new card for you to consider, might be Return of the Wildspeaker. Both modes being relevant for you. Even with all the big critters you're jamming, the tokens alone would make it worth it. 5 mana to draw 5 seems fair.

I also notice, you don't play Beast Within. For me it's an allstar in mono green, since it deals with so many things. In a similar vein, there's also Song of the Dryads.

I think you're right about Scrying Sheets, though I could see some nice interactions with Seedborn Muse and Sylvan Library. I play the land in a mono red deck that really, really wants to filter as quickly through the library as possible, and Sheets has never been good.

And about Tornado... hands down, it's one of my most enjoyable cards in green. Plus it's a really good removal options and will give you some stylish street credit - not many knows about this card.

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Oh, and if you dare go lower on basics, cycle-lands are totally great with Life from the Loam.

Also, about basics, Vernal Bloom.

Sanity_Eclipse

rogerandover wrote:
4 years ago
From what I've heard, Concordant Crossroads works wonders with Titania. It's a pretty great way to make use of the beasts you create with Natural Balance or even if Zorb at sorcery speed.

A great new card for you to consider, might be Return of the Wildspeaker. Both modes being relevant for you. Even with all the big critters you're jamming, the tokens alone would make it worth it. 5 mana to draw 5 seems fair.

I also notice, you don't play Beast Within. For me it's an allstar in mono green, since it deals with so many things. In a similar vein, there's also Song of the Dryads.

I think you're right about Scrying Sheets, though I could see some nice interactions with Seedborn Muse and Sylvan Library. I play the land in a mono red deck that really, really wants to filter as quickly through the library as possible, and Sheets has never been good.

And about Tornado... hands down, it's one of my most enjoyable cards in green. Plus it's a really good removal options and will give you some stylish street credit - not many knows about this card.

Oh, and if you dare go lower on basics, cycle-lands are totally great with Life from the Loam.

Also, about basics, Vernal Bloom.
A quick note to start with, it took a while to get down to this particular 100 list. I have a list of things I'm considering that I just don't have the room for until I figure out what's working and what's not. Now for actual discussion :)

I'll add Crossroads to that "potentials" list of mine. Although the plan is to try and play at EOT with Yeva and Emergence Zone, I should consider straight up haste as well. :thumbsup:

Return of the Wildspeaker - Not a bad card by any means, and I wouldn't blame anyone for running it. I just have better cards for pumping and draw. Kamahl and the Goat of Death, Revelation, Library, Whisperer, etc.

Beast Within - It's one of the last cuts I made, to be fair. I have several creatures that hit non-creature permanents, a couple cards that hit artifacts, enchantments, and fliers specifically, and several ways to have my creatures fight my opponent's. Great card, I just decided to go mainly with creatures that play better to this deck's (and 's) strengths. I do have both Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation in here though. :thumbsup:

I think I will make that swap, then. In goes Fengraf!

I can see why people play Tornado, I guess. I like my creature choices for removal though. Guess I'm missing out on that street cred. :(

Lands - I have Tranquil Thicket|MH1 in here, I'll consider adding some other cycling lands for that "in response" Loaming. I could see going down to 20 basics and adding those in with a couple more utility lands. Don't think I want to drop below 20 basics, though. If I was gonna run effects like Bloom, I'd start with Overlaid Terrain or something.

Thank you for your input! :)
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

toctheyounger

Yeah, crossroads is nuts. Obviously you only drop it when you alpha strike, but it's cheap, easy and astoundingly good. Highly recommend. Not cheap, but still some of the best money I've spent on cardboard.

Seems like you've got plenty of suggestions currently, I reckon you play the 100 as is, see what works and doesn't, and go from there.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

All these snow lands and no Sunstone? I'd say its at least on par with constant mists.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Damn, I didn't even know that card existed. Might have to consider it for my Nissa build.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”