Marchesa, the Black Rose: Affinity

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
If someone board wipes Rabbit Battery while it's attached to a creature, I don't believe it dies at all. It would become a creature when the one it was attached to leaves the battlefield.
It depends on the nature of the board wipe. If it's a Wrath of God or similar, you're right. I believe Tevesh was thinking of something like Austere Command or Hour of Devastation
Bingo.

Looks like it's a no, but that just means I Sac whatever the Bunny is Attached to first.

Tags:

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 2 years ago

Oh yeah, I did forget to mention Enthusiastic Mechanaut.

Well, I could have played Etherium Sculptor for years, so why didn't I do it until now? Well. 2 reasons. 1) Cheap artifact count is going up and I consider Birgi to be a stronger card
2) Mechanaut flies, meaning it is much easier to attack with it to protect it.

Same reason why I run Jhoira but not Vedalken Archmage. As it turns out, 3/3 vs 0/2 body matters a lot even in a deck that doesn't really care about attacking.

Lastly, I run Wurmcoil because it still makes relevant bodies on death and the lifelink is surprisingly important when people figure out how close I am to hitting critical mass of artifacts to win the game.
Battleball is better for comboing but I generally don't have issues hitting critical mass to combo out once I draw enough cards and find my win condition.

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 2 years ago

- Windfall (need space for more instant speed interaction)
- Steel Overseer (too slow)
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast (3 mana sorcery speed interaction)
- Lodestone Golem (without additional taxing, too slow and ineffective)

+ Drown in the Loch
+ Iron Apprentice
+ Enthusiastic Mechanaut (being a 2/2 flyer is important for getting the dethrone counter)
+ Virus Beetle (I got a game in and this card did serious work)

This deck is really nasty now. It hits critical mass much faster and no longer really cares if it can't get in attacks. Virus Beetle completely shreds hands.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 2 years ago

I think Kappa Cannoneer is pretty good. Sure it costs 6 mana but it has improvise (making it only cost U), etbs with a +1/+1 counter, can grow like Arcbound Crusher, has evasion and protection.

Arebennian

Post by Arebennian » 1 year ago

Any adds from the previous two sets?

Arebennian

Tevesh wrote:
1 year ago
I'd think Mahadi, Emporium Master would be the absolute nuts in this deck. I'm giving them a whirl in mine.
I think, in this specific deck, because of the fact you can use your sacrifice outlets to get the triggers on every turn, thatRose Room Treasurer might even be better (even at 4CMC).

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 1 year ago

Arebennian wrote:
1 year ago
Tevesh wrote:
1 year ago
I'd think Mahadi, Emporium Master would be the absolute nuts in this deck. I'm giving them a whirl in mine.
I think, in this specific deck, because of the fact you can use your sacrifice outlets to get the triggers on every turn, thatRose Room Treasurer might even be better (even at 4CMC).
Rose Room Treasurer caps at two Treasures; Mahadi, Emporium Master has the sky be the limit - that's important for payouts like Marionette Master. You can sac two Creatures, return them and sac them again if they have +1/+1s which a lot will have due to the amount of Modular in the deck. When Mahadi's trigger resolves you create four Treasures. Even moreso if you've got Genesis Chamber or another multiplier out. You can then use those Treasures for mana or any sort of Artifact nonsense, like Goblin Welder or Time Sieve. It might be a good reason to also add Magda, Brazen Outlaw so that you can Sacrifice five Treasures to tutor for any Artifact - that seems like more win-on-the-spot material.

Rose Room doesn't exist in the same universe.

Arebennian

Tevesh wrote:
1 year ago
Correct. A different universe I put forward 😛

I've found I get into situations where I can sacrifice creatures on each person's turn and get them back for an impact. With Rose Room Treasurer, that would be 4-8 Treasures and you can do that with very few creatures out.

The combo potential you pointed out isn't as high but as a value engine Rose Room isn't dismissible.

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 1 year ago

Arebennian wrote:
1 year ago
Tevesh wrote:
1 year ago

I've found I get into situations where I can sacrifice creatures on each person's turn and get them back for an impact. With Rose Room Treasurer, that would be 4-8 Treasures and you can do that with very few creatures out.

The combo potential you pointed out isn't as high but as a value engine Rose Room isn't dismissible.
I find you need the most explosive turns possible with Marchesa because people are gunning for you as she's pretty much a blade to your opponent's throats once she gets rolling. When my deck was less powerful, I did have time for the once-around-the-table shenanigans, but no so much now. I need as much frontloaded nonsense as possible. I would guess that @plushpenguin's deck is in the same boat.

I do admit, I miss the time when the deck could do that, but if I have the luxury of doing that, then it would be inappropriate to play the deck against those opponents. They either lack the skill or power.

Arebennian

Tevesh wrote:
1 year ago
I do admit, I miss the time when the deck could do that, but if I have the luxury of doing that, then it would be inappropriate to play the deck against those opponents. They either lack the skill or power.
Oh no...

I'm 'that guy', aren't I!

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 1 year ago

Arebennian wrote:
1 year ago
Tevesh wrote:
1 year ago

To properly answer your question, death triggers and etb have effectively the same value, so pitiless plunderer is like an unbound treasurer. I am testing plunderer. Getting trigger off other people's turns are important and so I have not made new additions in the past couple sets.

Either I hit critical mass and win, get focused and lose, or I grind out a win by looping virus beetle a bunch.

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 1 year ago

Imotekh the Stormlord is absolutely disgusting here.

Easy wurmcoil replacement. Wurmcoil is half just an overcosted combo piece..

Blaze
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Blaze » 4 months ago

Hey I've been working on Making a Marchesa deck of a while, at first I went with stealing everything then sacrificing it and making it mine. But I found that it worked about half the time, the other half it failed miserably.

I like your idea of artifact creatures, I was wondering what you think of the following cards:

Mahadi, Emporium Master
Danny Pink
Uncivil Unrest

Cards to make all creatures artifact Creatures
Encroaching Mycosynth
Maskwood Nexus
Arcane Adaptation

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

Blaze wrote:
4 months ago
Hey I've been working on Making a Marchesa deck of a while, at first I went with stealing everything then sacrificing it and making it mine. But I found that it worked about half the time, the other half it failed miserably.

I like your idea of artifact creatures, I was wondering what you think of the following cards:

Mahadi, Emporium Master
Danny Pink
Uncivil Unrest

Cards to make all creatures artifact Creatures
Encroaching Mycosynth
Maskwood Nexus
Arcane Adaptation
I've had a mid-range-y Marchesa deck for a while, so I'll chime in.

Mahadi I've found to be kind of underwhelming, but it's not bad. I'd prefer Dockside Extortionist, and any of the various 1-3 CMC creatures that either make a treasure when they ETB or die. There's also Pitiless Plunderer who doesn't care about when your creatures are dying, and can be used as either a combo piece or to fuel a big turn, since the treasure comes immediately.

Danny Pink looks fantastic here.
Uncivil Unrest has been really good.

Maskwood Nexus and Arcane Adaptation won't turn your creatures into artifacts, because 'artifact' isn't a creature type. Unless you're leaning VERY heavily into tribal AND have some high value off-tribe cards you feel need to conform to that theme, these aren't worth it here anyway.

Encroaching Mycosynth might be worthwhile, but I feel like it just makes it easier to deal with your permanents. I'd recommend Liquimetal Torque as both a mana rock and a way to turn something into an artifact when you need it to be. The biggest boon of EM, I think, is protecting your value creatures that aren't artifacts, and can't attack well, but I don't know that that's necessary.

I'll also note that it looks like this list hasn't been updated in a while, and there have been some pretty significant artifact-themed cards in the last year or so that might make it in.

Blaze

Post by Blaze » 4 months ago

I'd love to see other cards that would be good in the deck that came out recently.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”