Have me update this budget super friends

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

This deck I found on moxified is about 2 yrs old and it currently clocks in at under 50 dollars altogether, so any help with updating it and keeping it under 100 USD would be nice.
Super budget friends

Enchantment (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

It just so happens that Theoric posted his Sisay, Weatherlight Captain with Jegantha, the Wellspring as companion a few days ago viewtopic.php?t=59373
I also did a list a few years ago, but it's not updated since Jegantha was released viewtopic.php?p=75965.

Just to understand the general concept is that anything that can untap Jegantha, the Wellspring means that you can activate Sisay again. So planeswalkers like Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner, Kiora, Master of the Depths, Ral Zarek, Gideon, Martial Paragon, Teferi, Timebender can be played for free with Sisay and Jegantha in play.

I'm not sure if they explained sequences in the decklist thread but I'll give you a demonstration of what is capable.
1.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
2.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
3.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.
4.) Aminatou, the Fateshifter -1 on Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
5.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
6.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Oath of Teferi.
7.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
With Oath of Teferi in play each of your untapping planeswalkers can untap Jegantha, the Wellspring twice. so you can use one to get out another untapping planeswalker plus another legend of your choice.
With 5 untapping planeswalkers that means putting another potential 5 planeswalkers into play, or whatever legendary creatures you want.

Just looking at this list there are some mixed synergy with creatures trying to be aggressive versus what you really want to be doing is protecting planeswalkers.
Tuya Bearclaw, Varolz, the Scar-Striped, Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Bioessence Hydra, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury all seem to be aggro. Sure you can use big stats for defending but you really want to be going wide with creatures if looking to block.

Now haste enablers are great for tapping Jegantha, the Wellspring the turn you cast it. So I understand the inclusion of Garna, the Bloodflame, Domri, City Smasher. Budget haste enablers I'd recommend are Generator Servant, Domri, Chaos Bringer.

If you wanted to lean into planeswalkers more or at least up the quality then ones I think are good for price are Dakkon, Shadow Slayer, Dihada, Binder of Wills, Elminster, Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh, Ral, Izzet Viceroy, Rowan, Scholar of Sparks // Will, Scholar of Frost, Ashiok, Nightmare Muse, Aminatou, the Fateshifter, Nissa, Steward of Elements, Kasmina, Enigma Sage.
Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset would be the most expensive planeswalker that I'd recommend clocking in around $7.
I do think the weakest planeswalker in the current list is Teyo, the Shieldmage, Chandra, Novice Pyromancer, The Wanderer, Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor.
The inclusion of Estrid, the Masked is interesting in that it can untap if you have an additional turn to use the -1 to put an Aura on Jegantha, the Wellspring. But with only 2 enchantments in the deck it's super under utilized.
I'd easily replace any of these with my suggestions.

I noticed with the planeswalkers that I'd suggested that there is a top if library manipulation plus instant and sorcery theme.
Dakkon, Shadow Slayer, Elminster, Aminatou, the Fateshifter, Nissa, Steward of Elements, Kasmina, Enigma Sage allow you to sort the top of your deck.
So you could setup nice plays to get value out of Elminster, Dihada, Binder of Wills, Nissa, Steward of Elements.
Then stuff you can do with instant and sorcery are Ral, Izzet Viceroy, Rowan, Scholar of Sparks // Will, Scholar of Frost, Elminster, Kasmina, Enigma Sage.
With planeswalker having creature removal is paramount if you are looking to play more of a normal game. The problem being that quality board wipes are expensive to buy AND on top of this with Jegantha, the Wellspring as companion you can't have double pips which means that budget cards like Akroma's Vengeance, Austere Command, Cleansing Nova, etc can't be played.
So options that I found are; Fell the Mighty, Mandate of Abaddon, Duneblast, Iridian Maelstrom, Mizzium Mortars, Savage Twister, Solar Blaze, Merciless Eviction.
More expensive options; Last One Standing, Blasphemous Act, Rolling Earthquake, Fire Covenant.

I've run out of time to help more, there are budget ways to fix mana, get draw, etc that I will suggest in a later post :) But give me an idea if my suggestions interest you because then it gives me an idea of where to head with further things.

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

In my meta, her non-combat damage protection will be perfect, same with hex proof
So options that I found are; Fell the Mighty, Mandate of Abaddon, Duneblast, Iridian Maelstrom, Mizzium Mortars, Savage Twister, Solar Blaze, Merciless Eviction.
More expensive options; Last One Standing, Blasphemous Act, Rolling Earthquake, Fire Covenant.

I've run out of time to help more, there are budget ways to fix mana, get draw, etc that I will suggest in a later post :)
can't wait
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

Thought I'd do the challenge of building what I'd play on a budget. There is a large emphasis on mana ramp and mana fixing for colors because as we know you need these to be competitive. So I consider this quite a high functioning deck and comes in at around $80.

Fun elements are top deck manipulation with planeswalkers and then Elsha of the Infinite and The Reality Chip along with search for lands to shuffle.

I made Estrid, the Masked more powerful with land auras.
Budget Superfriends

Artifacts

Lands (33)

12 Forest
Approximate Total Cost:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”