What Horrors Emerge from the Depths? Captain N'ghathrod

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 8 months ago

Had a nail-biter of a game tonight!

Highlights:
Stole Geode Rager from angry Omnath, on my end step. Got hit hard, going down to 5 life from a Crackle With Power. Have Black Market Connections in play, and 2 cards in hand: Mana Drain and Mind Grind.

During the next turn cycle, I Mana Drained angry Omnath when it was recast, putting away 7 mana for my turn. I don't draw a land, so I took 3 life to draw another card and make a treasure, going to 2 life, because the player after me had 6 power in the air that I could neither block nor remove. Drew the land! Played land and goad that player, then cast Mind Grind for X=17. That milled Omnath to 0, and left the other player with 3 cards in their library. The last card in my hand was something that milled for 3, so I was good to mill them out on my next turn.

Tags:

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 months ago

Almost certainly going into the deck: evasive, can mill each opponent for 4 (or more with unlikely buffs), and has the ability to cast a card from the yard. This is better than most horrors in the deck for what the deck is trying to do. Just a question of how often it should self-mill, given the deck doesn't have that much recursion/ability to play out of/with its own yard.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 months ago

Looking at a few cards from MKM, and others that have been on my 'considering' list for a while, I'm wondering whether I should lean further away from horrors, and more towards solid mill cards, like Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker.

The MKM cards I'm excited about are:
Deadly Cover-Up - A board wipe that can snag all the basic lands from someone's library. Potentially crippling, but I doubt it will be relevant all that often.
Memory Vampire - This looks fantastic! A 4/4 evasive creature that can mill all opponents 4 (or more) on damage is pretty solid, if a little high on the curve at 6 mana. That it also comes with an option to cast something from someone's yard is a BIG bonus, though I'm not sure how well stocked the graveyard will be to collect evidence 9.
Reenact the Crime - This is sort of like a Memory Plunder that's easier to cast, but has some timing restrictions. Given how often I've used MP to snag a board wipe or counterspell, I don't think I'd replace MP with this, but the ability to hit any card type is attractive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”