Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Clown On You With Dragons

Igzex
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Look At All These Stupid Cards

Lets Rely On A 6 Mana Kill On Sight Commander (1)

Graveyard Trolling Cantrips (2)

Yeah Not Being Dead Before I Do Cool Stuff Is Good (12)

Approximate Total Cost:

Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm is my actual dream commander and I really looked forward to the day I got to build a deck with her but man choosing 100 cards for this deck was a pain. I couldn't even find room to try out those new Ancient Metal D20 dragons (In fact I can't even afford the red one why is it so flippin' expensive what is wrong with you people!). I'm trying the orbs of dragonkind in place of the tired old guild signets for something new and also to see if their special benefits outweigh the difference in mana cost. My current dream play is to use Astral Dragons to make an army of Crucible of Fire and is literally the only reason Crucible is in the deck. What would replace that card however is gonna be a hell of a tough choice though. The Sakashimas are of course in to try and make a bunch of Miiryms and make things really silly. The Adventure dragons (Especially Sapphire Dragon // Psionic Pulse) narrowly missed the cut which is a shame because they were a blast to use in draft.

You people have any idea on how to make this deck even funnier and still function?

edit: Mind slipped and confused Glorybringer for Goldspan Dragon when I posted this list and now I wish I could squeeze it in to have both...
Last edited by Igzex 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Have you considered Panharmonicon? I run it in Lathliss, and its bonkers there, so it's gonna be even sillier in this. Also if you use Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast you can sac a random token that's not doing anything for you and you'll get another actual Dragon plus at least one copy of it if you've got you commander out. I think everything else I'm running is to compensate for the fact I don't have access to the other two colours so it's not relevant to you.

You probably do want more dragons, what about Atarka, World Render and/or Dragonlord Atarka?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Igzex

Dragonlover wrote:
1 year ago
Have you considered Panharmonicon? I run it in Lathliss, and its bonkers there, so it's gonna be even sillier in this.
It is a likely candidate to replace Crucible of Fire once I live the meme dream of actually killing a player with it thanks to Astral Dragon's effect. In fact, imagine Astral Dragon making copies of Panharmonicon. It still has some heavy competition though. We also had Helm of the Host narrowly missing the cut because even more possibilities to have multiple Miiryms. Oh and the funny interaction with Sarkhan the Masterless. There's Blasphemous Act which is very useful for its intended purpose and can do OTK setups with Wrathful Red Dragon. Druid's Deliverance is a kick in an opponent's groin given what this deck does...So many options. Jank decks are really hard to make...
Dragonlover wrote:
1 year ago
You probably do want more dragons, what about Atarka, World Render and/or Dragonlord Atarka?
I tried this deck today and I kind of felt that. I found myself in situations where I have a horrifying amount of mana available but not many impressive things to do with it. Either I need more haymakers or more dragons. World Render Atarka has always been a useful card but I ultimately chose Thrakkus because he interacts funnier with multiples out and is 2 less mana. Dragonlord Atarka is like, ok I can take out a target or 2 but all I'm left with is something that's just big. If I were to add more dragons, I have funnier candidates ahead of her like Drakuseth, Maw of Flames, Ancient Silver Dragon, and Ancient 50 Dollar Bill Dragon.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

If you've got gobs of mana and nothing to do with it, how about Hellkite Charger?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Igzex

Personally I'm thinking maybe more explosive draw spells like Finale of Revelation and Sea Gate Restoration // Sea Gate, Reborn to compensate for the light dragon count as I want to draw into them AND the things that add value to them. also a lot of this mana comes from double Klauth, Unrivaled Ancients who do not work well with mana sinks like the charger. Also I'm now thinking man wouldn't it be cool if there was a color shifted Decree of Justice that swaps angels and soldiers for dragons and goblins?

Igzex

Alright made some updates to the deck.

Out: Explosive Vegetation
In: Skyshroud Claim
---
Not sure why I didn't do that in the first place.

Out: Verdant Confluence
In: Skyclave Relic
---
Inspired by a funny moment where I copied a coworker's Darksteel Ingot with Astral Dragon during lunch break, creating an army of Lotus Guardian but made of darksteel. Still gives me the big increase in mana my deck needs to style on people and also has the added edge over Confluence in that I can cast it without kicker if I'm desperate for extra mana early on. (Frankly I'm hoping that Ancient 50 Dollar Bill Dragon's price will go down so I can get one of those to slot in)

Out: Eternal Witness, Primal Command
In: Relic of Progenitus, Stonespeaker Crystal
---
I figured that perhaps my deck is better off erasing graveyards instead. They also all have the added benefit of drawing me a card which yeah this deck kinda wants to do that.

Out: Fact or Fiction
In: Ancient Silver Dragon
---
I was thinking of putting in Finale of Revelation until I realized Ancient Silver Dragon is finale of revelation and a dragon of which I could kinda use more of.

Out: Return to Nature
In: Blasphemous Act
---
As annoying as enchantments and artifacts can be, I'm feeling that I might need more tools against people rushing me down.

Out: Crucible of Fire
In: Panharmonicon
---
This allows for even sillier stuff than Crucible honestly.

Out: Rite of Replication
In: Helm of the Host
---
While a far stronger card, Rites has proven to be so easy to disrupt. At least Helm is slightly safer in that if you respond with spot removal against my target, I still have the helm on field to possibly try again with something else. Also it can multiply my Miiryms which...yeah that's kinda great.

Igzex

It's probably just me currently out-lucking the people I've been playing with, but I sorta am beginning to feel this commander might be a tad stronger than I was expecting. Ward 2 barely sounds like protection but when I ramp Miirym out early it really does do work as my opponents appear to have to choose which one of them has to stay a turn behind to deal with Miirym while the others continue to advance their board. If Miirym is not dealt with however, we get these ridiculous self-dragon combinations like double Klauth or double Parun Niv-Mizzet that strongly tilt the game in my favor. Then there's the really complicated math problems that can happen courtesy of cards like Astral Dragon and Panharmonicon where the table votes to just say I won. I mean, I guess it is modern EDH but at the same time I'm just not used to everyone sometimes scooping to a dragon deck on turn 5-7...

Anyways some updates:

Out: Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
In: Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
---
Kiki-Jiki is one of my favorite cards in all of Magic the Gathering and their interaction with Miriam's ability sounded great, but I noticed he kind of hardly does any work in this deck. Reluctantly, I replaced him with another dragon that's also a draw source.

Out: Nesting Dragon
In: Glorybringer
---
As fun as it is to have more dragons on the board, I don't have that many ways to get value from those eggs besides maybe just having more blockers every now and then. Also I run a mix of rocks and land fetch rather than just heavy land fetch so I don't really abuse its effect all that much anyway. I believe the board control that Glorybringer(s) can bring might be of more value to this deck.

Out: Farhaven Elf
In: Recross the Paths
---
An IRL friend brought up this card. Since I'm playing quite the top heavy deck, there's a good chance I'll be able to use this card more times than once without additional set-up.

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

I'm in love with Sneak Attack in this deck. That could lead to a turn where you get to play setup+ dragons, ala Doubling Season or one of your many draw engines.

Imagine chaining multiple dragons off of Garruk's Uprising AND getting to keep all the token copies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”