And Her Name Was Mary Sue: Background Tribal

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

On Reddit I saw a meme of Garth One-Eye with all the Background text. That was funny to me, but someone suggested rightly that if you really wanted to do this Sisay, Weatherlight Captain was the way to do it. So, here's my sketchpad brew of it.

By my count the deck can support around 10 more non-land cards, and I'm sorta at an impasse as to what would be best.

- For the memes I could some amount of the remaining eight non-Faceless One backgrounds. Looking at what I skipped:
  • Acolyte of Bahamut does nothing in this deck.
  • Dungeon Delver does nothing in this deck.
  • Folk Hero is close to nothing; we have a few humans but because it is cast not EtB it's hard to leverage.
  • Passionate Archaeologist mostly does nothing and would need support.
  • Street Urchin mostly seemed worse than Clan Crafter but does have interesting synergy with our Deathtouch backgrounds; it's the closest to making the cut.
  • Criminal Past is pretty weak since we mostly rely on making tokens to make a board.
  • Haunted One has a similar problem to Folk Hero and Criminal Past, but +2/+0 and undying even to just Sisay ain't nothing...
  • Tavern Brawler is pretty weak imo, but would enable Archaeologist? And I guess even with our low curve, an average of +1/+0 and an impulsive draw ain't nothing. This is arguably better than Candlekeep Sage which is pretty tame and slow without Far Traveler to combo with it.
- I could add a ton more pillow-forty/value enchantments; I have spare copies of Smothering Tithe and Rhystic Study and Mirari's Wake and Ghostly Prison and...

- I could add a bunch of generic good-stuff, especially stuff that's tutorable by Sisay. Top of my target list would be Garruk Wildspeaker (mana ramp, token production, more Voltron value) and Alela, Artful Provocateur (more tokens).

- I could add more of a Voltron bent, as this is clearly a Voltron deck - Helm of the Gods and Blackblade Reforged in particular.

- Tokens are fun and help fuel Cultist of the Absolute and Clan Crafter (and they are bigger than they look thanks to Inspiring Commander and Master Chef). I could for sure just jam some more efficient token-making spells like Secure the Wastes or some powerful token-doublers like Doubling Season (which I currently have a spare copy floating around of).

Tags:

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Love the title and headers. lol Replenish and/or its derivatives seem like a good fit.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Love the title and headers. lol Replenish and/or its derivatives seem like a good fit.
Lol thanks, I had fun with it. I agree - I foolishly traded my badly played Replenish a few years back but I was considering Primevals' Glorious Rebirth and/or Open the Vaults for sure.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

Do you really want Cultist of the Absolute? Do you have enough creatures that you want to sacrifice? I think you'd be better off replacing it with Mesa Enchantress.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”