Jodah, Archmage Eternal - We were born to make history!

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Disclaimer: I am fully aware that this is not a good deck. So if you have suggestions, please keep that in mind. This is just campy legendary tribal.

Jodah, Archmage Eternal

Commander (1)

Instant (1)

Enchantment (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

BRG "Toolbox" |B Xiahou Dun | UB Tegwyll | RG Hans | WB Astarion

Tags:

Airi
Queen of Salt

Update! I was kind of wrestling with it for a while, but I'm going to officially change the deck over to Sisay, Weatherlight Captain, as she better fits the theme while moving Jodah to the 99. So full update is as follows:

Out
Jhoira's Familiar
Tooth and Nail
Nicol Bolas, God Pharoh

In
Sisay, Weatherlight Captain (as the general)
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
Kethis, the Hidden Hand

Overall, a bit of a weird switch around, but I'm always willing to drop a few of the larger support spells in favor of more cool creatures that interact with the 'tribe'.

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

You should totally make this deck a Weatherlight themed deck and then find someone with a Yawgmoth deck so you can reenact the final battle from Invasion! C19 has printed the last few Weatherlight crew members needed, I think, so that this can actually be a thing. Win.

Airi
Queen of Salt

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
You should totally make this deck a Weatherlight themed deck and then find someone with a Yawgmoth deck so you can reenact the final battle from Invasion! C19 has printed the last few Weatherlight crew members needed, I think, so that this can actually be a thing. Win.
I know it's heresy... but I don't know anything about the Weatherlight crew >.>

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Heresy. Blasphemy.

Well, in short, the Weatherlight crew was a crew of awesome heros on a flying, plane-shifting boat called Weatherlight trying to save the world from the Phyrexians, notably during the Tempest and Invasion blocks. This story literally spans years and includes such characters like Hanna, Ships Navigator, Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero, Tahngarth, First Mate, Crovax, the Betrayer, Karn, Silver Golem, Squee, the Immortal, and many others. The Weatherlight combined with Karn, the Mightstone, the Weakstone, Urza's head and Planeswalker spark, Gerrard Capashen, and a few other massively powerful Artifacts to create a weapon powerful enough (and the ONLY WAY) to defeat Yawgmoth, the Phyrexian God who was going to dominate the plane of Dominaria as a literal hemisphere-spanning black cloud of death/black-mana.

Basically, your deck COULD be representative of the only weapon and group of people powerful enough to take down the most powerful villain in all of MTG lore.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Well, after a bit of playtesting, I've altered the general again. Sisay has been moved in to the 99 and Golos, Tireless Pilgrim has taken the spot of general. Sisay fits better thematically, but Golos is a lot more useful overall. I played roughly equal games with both as the general over the weekend, and Golos functioned much more smoothly than Sisay, who got shut down nearly immediately each time she was cast without contributing anything. Golos at least buys me some color fixing while also having an equally relevant late game activation.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Aaand we're here with like, round 4 of altering my general. In my defense, I was not anticipating Kenrith to be so cool. He has the Sisay problem, and Golos is still probably the best choice to lead the deck mechanically, but I'm willing to suffer in the name of a thematically neat legend. ^.^ I've also made a couple of small updates:

Out
Weatherlight
Akroma's Memorial
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (as a general)
Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow
Oracle of Mul Daya

In
Kenrith, the Returned King (as a general)
Ilharg, the Raze-Boar
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
Chulane, Teller of Tales
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (as one of the 99)

I'm replacing a few of my less impactful cards, such as Weatherlight, Memorial, and Yurkio for some of the new exciting legends we've gotten since my last update. I'm also replacing Oracle of Mul Daya. I am going to mix the additional land, but because I'm adding Chulane and that Dryad has color fixing, I think it's a fair trade off. Yuriko is the card I'm saddest to cut but I at least have a deck more dedicated to making use of her abilities where she can actually shine.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

And we've come full circle on the general issue, I've landed back on Jodah as the "official" general. He fixes some of the problems this deck has with huge mana costs, whereas Kenrith just sits there and looks pretty. I've also made some minor adjustments to cram in another legendary creature:

Out
Expropriate
Cultivate

In
Arcane Signet
Saskia the Unyielding

As I no longer have a Saskia list, I wanted to move her here, as I have a really gorgeous alter courtesy of @Ulka that needs a home at all times. Expropriate is just kind of a big win more spell that doesn't synergize with the deck, so it doesn't hurt me to drop it.

As for Cultivate, I wanted a bit cheaper and earlier ramp, so it's getting swapped for Arcane Signet. I don't know if that's the right call, but I'd like to test it for the time being.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”