Upgrading Upgrades Unleashed

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Chishiro, the Shattered Blade's preconstructed deck has been revealed, and...I don't think I've ever seen a more incoherent Commander deck. In terms of value the deck is fine with Bear Umbra getting a much-needed reprint alongside a ton of nice staples. But Chishiro pays off spamming auras and equipment - that text is significantly sexier and spicier than his fairly weak +1/+1 counter effect on your end step. And the deck includes only a smattering of auras and equipment, with few ways to recur those cards and with many of those cards being expensive, cludgy, janky junk like Elemental Mastery and Fireshrieker. Rather than welding together auras, equipment, and +1/+1 counters as a unified and synergistic engine for a beatdown deck, the whole thing feels split into three directions. It doesn't help at all that Kaima, the Fractured Calm and Ulasht, the Hate Seed (his alternatives in the precon) all want to do very different things.

Here's my take on the deck, aimed at an upgrade budget of $10-15 bucks.
Chishiro Unleashed
Approximate Total Cost:

What did I do?
- Dramatically lowered the curve and improved the ramp of the deck.
- Almost doubled the number of auras and equips available for Chishiro, with an eye towards including a good amount of auras you can "scoop up" and cast over and over for value.
- Supported Grumgully by adding Bloodspore Thrinax and Renata, for three cards in the deck that can "auto-modify" Chishiro's tokens to grow a massive menacing army.

This was a budget crack at making this deck functional. A few obvious adds that I ignored due to current market price are...
- Metallic Mimic (naming Spirits so that all of Chishiro's tokens are automatically modified)
- Craterhoof Behemoth and Pathbreaker Ibex are predictably incredible in this deck. They're good everywhere, but with Chishiro's ability to go both wide and tall simultaneously (and with plenty of ways to get the GOAT haste) they're extra great here.
- Paradise Mantle, Lightning Greaves, Skullclamp, Bloodforged Battle-Axe, Shadowspear - cheap equip that weren't in-budget. I didn't think the deck wanted to go full cheerios but I'd run both of these in a heartbeat.
- Utopia Sprawl - is still $5. Curse of Opulence is still $10. Both are upgrades to the 2 and 3 CMC mana auras if you've got 'em.
- Sword of Feast and Famine, Sword of the Animist, Embercleave, Sword of Hearth and Home - all incredible splashy equps, all over budget.
- I also didn't want to speculate on what Lizard Blades, Thundering Raiju, Ogre-Head Helm, Jugan Defends the Temple, or Kodama of the West Tree are going to shake out at, but they all seem pretty good here. I suspect Lizard Blades and Raiju are gonna settle at a buck or two and be an easy include, but am less confident that Helm, Jugan, and Kodama are going to be affordable.

The maybeboard was full of other stuff that is all relatively budget friendly - Managorger Hydra, Curse of Stalked Prey, Curse of Predation, Return of the Wildspeaker. They're all decent and maybe better than some of the cards in the 99 now especially since 37 lands feels high for a deck this ramp-heavy. I did intentionally eschew a straight enchantress plan for budget and thematic reasons, but obviously I think a deck that went in on Setessan Champion, Argothian Enchantress, Eidolon of Blossoms, and newcomers Kami of Transience, Shigeki, Jukai Visionary, and Generous Visitor among even more enchantments and constellation payoffs could also be very good.

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”