Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle | Eggs, Cheerios & Weenies

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 8 months ago

So i've been thinking about Extraplanar Lens a while back - but did shy away from it because of its price tag and incremental advantage, considering the deck doesn't require much mana a lot of times.
But i did open a copy in a Modern Masters Draft and therefore went back to the drawing board... I love sleek mono mana bases, so i went down to the bare minimum of functionality, which is mana acceleration and a Strip Mine for those pesky Field of the Dead punks.
With Skittering Cicada arriving in the mail, i decided to axe the three mana removal on a stick in favor of the two of them. You'll find brief thoughts on the rest of the land cuts below.

New Cards
+ 1 Extraplanar Lens - Not a must run by all means, but one that can make for some potent sequences.
+ 1 Skittering Cicada - A 3rd instant speed combo enabler is a wonderful and welcome addition to the deck.
+ 1 28 Snow-Covered Plains|CSP - I've always been a fan of the Coldsnap Basics, so i went with them.

Cuts
- 1 Loran of the Third Path - I'm still very happy it got printed and will use it in my Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier flicker control deck for sure.
- 1 Skyclave Apparition - Arguably still the best spot removal on a stick, but i rarely used my reanimates on it. Will end up in said flicker deck as well.
- 1 Ancient Den - With no affinity payoffs and Inventors' Fair gone, this had to go.
- 1 Buried Ruin - It was a close call on this one, i've only used it in very dire situations though.
- 1 Darksteel Citadel - More sturdy than Ancient Den, yet nothing fancy.
- 1 Desert of the True - I'm still largely in favor of running all cycling lands in mono decks, though taplands are a pain in high-powered pods.
- 1 Drifting Meadow - See above
- 1 Geier Reach Sanitarium - I loved sneaking stuff into my graveyard with it every once in a while, but dang, it's been a long while...
- 1 High Market - One time sacs are just so much worse despite them enabling some nifty value plays.
- 1 Inventors' Fair - I love the artwork and a tutor on a land will never be bad, but this will find a home in a more fitting deck (Cosima, God of the Voyage // The Omenkeel).
- 1 Phyrexia's Core - I've used this even more seldomly than High Market - a shame.
- 1 Secluded Steppe - See above
- 1 Sequestered Stash - I still believe it's an underrated card! And an underused one in my build for sure.
- 1 The Mycosynth Gardens - Another well-deserved tool for Cosima, God of the Voyage // The Omenkeel, since i rarely required multiples of anything - on board at least.
- 1 16 Plains|GS1

Tags:

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 8 months ago

Set Review - Wilds of Eldraine
Creatures

Stockpiling Celebrant - While i'm not too fond of bounce loops and her costing three mana, this card is likely still the best three mana bounce available.
Syr Ginger, the Meal Ender - Hilarious card! And while the scry might get tedious it can be a great support engine.
Werefox Bodyguard - Very spicy removal on a stick! Could see play in a lot of (other) decks.

Artifacts

Candy Trail - Scry, lifegain, draw. Above average cantrip for less cut-throat variants.
Collector's Vault - Honestly, a great card for midrange builds!
Hylda's Crown of Winter - Costs you a bunch of mana, draws you a bunch of cards (potentially).

Instants

Stroke of Midnight - Generous Gift at home. Creates a smaller creature, can't hit lands. Pass.

Sorceries

Return Triumphant - Pretty strong for a common and certainly playable in the right build.

A set that came with a lot of great cards - not for my own build though. Stockpiling Celebrant, Werefox Bodyguard and Collector's Vault will be really great for others.

ps. Moonshaker Cavalry stinks! The format didn't need another Craterhoof Behemoth at all.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 7 months ago

Set Review - Doctor Who
Creatures

Jo Grant - For midrangey builds adding cycling to all our artifacts is pretty sweet!
Sarah Jane Smith - It is repeated draw and could possibly be abused with a sac outlet, but for me it's too situational.

Instants

Everybody Lives! - This puts a temporary end to a lot of things, my god! Not sure if i want to run it though.

Sorceries

Crisis of Conscience - Hmm, well. I don't know, really.

Enchantments

Trial of a Time Lord - No fan of sorcery speed removal, but exiling the worst nontoken creature on the board three times in a row for just three mana seems pretty solid, if it fits your power level.
The Night of the Doctor - I'm always hesitant putting my commander into my yard, for obvious reasons. On top of that there are plenty of more thorough 4-6 mana wraths to run instead.

Lands

Ominous Cemetery - The opportunity cost is as low as the activation cost is high to play it safe. Not for me.
Gallifrey Council Chamber - Surveil on an untapped land is quite nifty. Not good enough to warrant dropping a Snow-Covered Plains.

To be completely honest, i am relieved this product didn't come with any auto-includes, since i can't overstate how aweful i find its origin. Sorry, not sorry.
Jo Grant and Everybody Lives! could end up in a lot of other lists though.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 6 months ago

Set Review - The Lost Caverns of Ixalan
Creatures

Dauntless Dismantler - That's a great silver bullet in artifact heavy metas!
Mischievous Pup - Can enable Bounce Loops at instant speed. I shy away from 3 mana and up though.
Oltec Archaeologists - Maaaan, if only this were 3 mana.
Artifacts

Buried Treasure - A casual Lotus Petal.
Dusk Watch Reliquary - Sure enough, a deck like this can make use of the sacrifice. Not gonna include sorcery speed removal anymore, though.
Spring-Loaded Sawblades // Bladewheel Chariot - I wouldn't complain, if anyone were to run this.

Instants

Get Lost - This has been talked about a lot in my playgroup and rightfully so. Absurdly good!
Lands

Hidden Courtyard - Sure, it's neat. Not good enough for teched out lists.
Pit of Offerings - Oh look, baby Bojuka Bog!

I will have to pick up some playsets of Get Lost, other than that this set has been mediocre for the big bird.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 5 months ago

This time around there's only a tiny change, as the deck has been working flawlessly for quite some time now.
Going up in interaction over the past 1-2 years has helped the deck a lot. It might be cute having set up plays, but not losing is where you start winning, i suppose.

New Cards
+ 1 Get Lost - I am yet to draw into it, but i'm already hyped shouting the card's name out loud whenever i can.

Cuts
- 1 Airlift Chaplain - To be fair, it has been so much fun to toy with, but much like Matter Reshaper a while back, it misses out by an inch. Also, there are only tutors and combo enablers at 3 mana left.

indemidelo

Post by indemidelo » 3 months ago

Hi everyone!
I am having some success with a budget list (100€) of Teshar, tailored to resist the early game and combo off in the mid-game. Possibly covered by protection spells or stax pieces. Without further ado, this is the list:
Teshar 100€ Budget
Approximate Total Cost:

Here is the Moxfield link with the complete card tags: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/V2Zd7GKlVUaU3roipjzUAg

Some considerations:
- Mesmeric Orb is the MVP of the deck. Functions as a tutor and shines in a light graveyard hate. My meta will probably change its combo policy, given that I am undefeated after four 4-players tables.
- Collector's Vault is under evaluation, as well as Gift of Estates. They look kinda crappy... What do you suggest to do some resource advantage?
- Cloud Key and Semblance Anvil are necessary evils to combo off in a reasonable turn. Without acceleration, you either have no threats towards you (a very rare situation, given that your commander screams combo), or you are not able to deploy Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle + combo pieces + protection spells in the same turn
- Budget tutors are very strong and work fine in a slow-paced meta like the 100€-budget one
- Recursion spells (Sevinne's Reclamation and Recommission) are fine when you are using combo pieces to dig into the deck to find other combo pieces
- I liked Slaughter the Strong more than Tragic Arrogance due to the high number of powerful creatures that ran in my meta. It is often necessary to address them early before the table focuses on you

What do you think of the deck? Do you have any suggestions? I am also looking for a finisher using infinite mana since reaching such a state in the game is easy. Possibly something more useful outside the combo time than Goblin Cannon.

Have a wonderful day!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 months ago

Set Review - Murders at Karlov Manor
Creatures

Delney, Streetwise Lookout - Bonkers card! Though i'm not sure if we actually need additional triggers on top.
Sanitation Automaton - It may not be Professor of Symbology or Raffine's Informant, but i am always happy to see surveil on a card.
Enchantments

Assemble the Players - My list has "only" 28 creatures it could cast and few ways to shuffle or otherwise rearrange my library. So, while it looks fun, i fear it's not worth it.
Trouble in Pairs - This has been the talk of the town. Rightfully so for non-combo EDH, but 4 mana without an initial payoff is too slow for this build.
Instants

Unexplained Absence - Another great card that requires a little too much mana to be added.

I would have to try Delney, Streetwise Lookout, other than that the set has been okay-ish.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

indemidelo wrote:
3 months ago
I am having some success with a budget list (100€) of Teshar, tailored to resist the early game and combo off in the mid-game.
That's a cool list, for sure! I'm happy to see you enjoy your version of the big birb

As for Collector's Vault and Gift of Estates, i could see you replacing them with Gleaming Barrier and Cathodion, since you're already running Myr Moonvessel?

Infinite mana really is "worse" than infinite draw, mill or damage. If you're able to squeeze it in budgetwise (maybe cut Silence), Walking Ballista could be just the card you're looking for.

Mesmeric Orb and Slaughter the Strong are other great catches of yours and seem to fit your meta quite well. The two reasons i picked Tragic Arrogance over Slaughter the Strong are that i get to choose what they are forced to sac and that it also deals with artifacts and enchantments, since my meta includes Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy//Basalt Monolith, Heliod, Sun-Crowned//Walking Ballista and some others.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Set Review - Fallout
Creatures

Brotherhood Outcast - In certain builds this could be great. As for mine, Skullclamp isn't enough to run it.
Artifacts

Pre-War Formalwear - There are convoluted loops with Krark-Clan Ironworks + Phyrexian Altar + Junk Diver/Myr Retriever/Workshop Assistant + some payoff like Altar of the Brood. But since i don't run Ironworks it's not for me.

As for Delney, Streetwise Lookout from the last set, i came to think it's a classic case of win more.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 weeks ago

Set Review - Outlaws of Thunder Junction
Creatures

Aven Interrupter - Clearly depends on your meta, but generally speaking this a seriously strong card.
Claim Jumper - Since this doesn't limit itself to basics it should be real good in mid-powered metas. In top-notch builds Knight of the White Orchid is better.
Nurturing Pixie - Sweet, another bounce loop enabler!
Sterling Hound - Neat! Some redundancy to Professor of Symbology and Raffine's Informant.
Instants

Bovine Intervention - Yet another removal i will have to run for sure.
Final Showdown - That's some real flexibility! Might have to try it.
Lands

Conduit Pylons - Not sure, if surveil 1 is enough to run it, but since it enters untapped it's fine.

Some decent playables in this set! Nurturing Pixie and Bovine Intervention will find their way into my deck 100%, will have to see about Aven Interrupter and Final Showdown...

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 weeks ago

I've been following this deck for a while. Good to see you're still keeping up with it! I find myself itching to try a mono-White build since it's so far off from what I normally play, and this definitely would shock my playgroup lol.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 weeks ago

benjameenbear wrote:
3 weeks ago
I've been following this deck for a while. Good to see you're still keeping up with it!
You wouldn't know how happy i am to read that! :)

Every few months i'm considering yet another rewrite, but i just can't find the time, unfortunately. But the overall tech is there and i keep the decklist up to date with every set. And aside from Jeweled Lotus the list is as complete as i want it to be.

Mono white in upper echelons certainly is a shocker and whenever i get to play fresh faces they find it a refreshing change of pace. The consistency and resilience might not be there as much as in other colors, but it is a lot of fun to maneuver and mix and match combo pieces.
Maybe give it a proxy spin to get a feel for it?

Anyhow, thanks for your kind words. Let me know if you need any advice, meta and budget considerations or whatnot.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 days ago

Once again, one of those minuscule swaps. Cutting even more mana value while increasing combo opportunities is exactly how i picture regular updates to my list.
New Cards
+ 1 Bovine Intervention - Though it might only destroy, it hits the two most relevant types at a sleek rate
+ 1 Nurturing Pixie - No surprises here, loop enablers go straight into the decks!

Cuts
- 1 Excise the Imperfect - It does sound insane, when i speak it out loud, but 3 mana for interaction has become too much in the current state of its matchups.
- 1 Ingenious Smith - I do love this card a lot, but it's not as reliable as other includes, unfortunately.

Some might argue that Final Showdown should also go into the list, but all i would ever use of it would be its first mode, i think. It comes down to personal preference and meta considerations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”