Millicent Ghostswarm

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Having screwed around with various swarm decks, Zada, Krenko, Rhys, I've always found them to be too slow, too combo-prone, or too fragile. Millicent, despite being somewhat plain, does exactly what I want. In fact, I kind of like the fact that she's so plain: make dudes, attack, if they die you get backup dudes.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by BeneTleilax 2 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Few questions

-Are you sure this deck really needs a Sun Titan?
-Do you think with the color balance the way it is you should tilt the man a +1 plains -1 island?
-Any thoughts on Akroma's Will type finisher rather than stuff like Favorable Winds? Your guys are a little on the small side but many of them have some decent bodies. Alternatively, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar might be worth thinking about. Just that ability to instant anthem and then your dudes are 2/2s forever whether you get swept or not is pretty savage.
-Dragon Throne of Tarkir might be another one worth noodling on. +4/+4 from your commander would probably be pretty efficient.

Love the list, especially the use of altars for explosive ramp and the Martyr's Cause effects.

BeneTleilax

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Are you sure this deck really needs a Sun Titan?
I like having recursion in creature-damage decks, and I have several spare Sun Titans. I should probably swap him for Sevinne's Reclamation or something else better, but for now he's on hand.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
-Do you think with the color balance the way it is you should tilt the man a +1 plains -1 island?
Cut an island for Windbrisk Heights.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
-Any thoughts on Akroma's Will type finisher rather than stuff like Favorable Winds? Your guys are a little on the small side but many of them have some decent bodies. Alternatively, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar might be worth thinking about. Just that ability to instant anthem and then your dudes are 2/2s forever whether you get swept or not is pretty savage.
I considered it, and if I need more explosive ways to close games, I'll try it. I'm hoping to avoid the "swarm and rush massive damage ASAP before a wrath" pattern. I'd rather build value over time, fall back, grow back. Millicent really gives a fair bit of resilience in her cost reduction and the death triggers. I also don't like planeswalkers, never have, and generally avoid them unless I'd really miss out on something cool.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
-Dragon Throne of Tarkir might be another one worth noodling on. +4/+4 from your commander would probably be pretty efficient.
Added. I also have several of those spare. Might be a bit expensive for a deck without substantive ramp, but it certainly packs a punch.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Love the list, especially the use of altars for explosive ramp and the Martyr's Cause effects.
Thanks!

pokken

It's possible this is more of a Return to the Ranks than a Sun Titan deck? I dunno.

If you want to be a total monster, Opposition might be the best way to close it out with this commander.

BeneTleilax

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
It's possible this is more of a Return to the Ranks than a Sun Titan deck? I dunno.
Yes, yes it is. Swapped.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
If you want to be a total monster, Opposition might be the best way to close it out with this commander.
I've got Shacklegeist to be a less brutal and more thematic version of that lock. I did add Strixhaven Stadium to close games once I have a critical mass, and I also have Mirrorweave and Mystic Reflection to spam copies of my lords (or combo with Spark Double to make everything Millicent). Mirror Entity, the aforementioned Dragon Throne and even Drogskol Reinforcements can also make my swarm huge, and Katilda and Eidolon of Countless Battles should let me convert to a voltron kill if needed. Might run Blade of Selves or something if I want to spam more lords. A fair amount of what you pay for in Akroma's Will is evasion, and I've got that in spades.

pokken

Also I know I am the signet hate patrol but since 1 cmc spirits do a pretty good impression of Llanowar Elves in this deck, I think I'd probably swap them for more 1-2 cmc spirits.

Some really good ones you're not running:

Ugin's Conjurant
Hopeful Eidolon
Clarion Spirit
Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit (who doesn't synergize with tokens but does with other dudes)
Mindshrieker

BeneTleilax

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Also I know I am the signet hate patrol but since 1 cmc spirits do a pretty good impression of Llanowar Elves in this deck, I think I'd probably swap them for more 1-2 cmc spirits.

Some really good ones you're not running:

Ugin's Conjurant
Hopeful Eidolon
Clarion Spirit
Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit (who doesn't synergize with tokens but does with other dudes)
Mindshrieker
Realized I wasn't running near enough lands, even as aggressive as I am, and dedicated most of the slots I cleared to that. Non-evasive spirits make Millicent cheaper, and then turn into Tireless Pilgrims. I only added the Eidolon because it also has some lategame utility.
Cut Favorable Winds because I'd much rather my lords be creatures to work with Millicent's abilities, and I have a ton of creature protection so I don't even know if it would be more resilient.
Replaced Veto and Negate with Spell Queller, because I have some recursion and enough sac outlets to cheat it.
Cut March of Souls because this deck wants to be the wrath-bait, not run symmetrical wraths, even cool tribal symmetrical wraths.
Cut Karmic Guide because it's expensive and doesn't really fit what the deck wants.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”