The Varinaristocrats!

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Falkenbach wrote:
2 years ago
How come you are not running Midnight reaper ? Zombie knight that draws
I've got one in the pile but haven't made room yet :)

gotta make room for Zombie Master too.

Tags:

pokken

Nothing super new tonight, got one game in, was able to Intuition combo into Sevinne's Reclamation and Phyrexian Altar and Gravecrawler, having curved Wayward Servant and Binding Mummy into Varina, Lich Queen. Binding Mummy did a good job buying me time slowing dragons down and being a 2 mana 2/2.

On combo turn I was able to play Phyrexian Altar, sac two things and Living Death for the wins.

Smooth, curving out and winning. Good times.

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Nothing super new tonight, got one game in, was able to Intuition combo into Sevinne's Reclamation and Phyrexian Altar and Gravecrawler, having curved Wayward Servant and Binding Mummy into Varina, Lich Queen. Binding Mummy did a good job buying me time slowing dragons down and being a 2 mana 2/2.

On combo turn I was able to play Phyrexian Altar, sac two things and Living Death for the wins.

Smooth, curving out and winning. Good times.
Seriously thinking of adding an Intuition to my collection, yet I am nog much of a combo player (which the card pretty much is I guess?)
If not running Phyrexian Altar, what other great sygerystic cards would you pick as Intuition piles? Or could a budget option be Buried Alive. If most of the things you grab would be creatures?
Things i can think of for tutoring for are 3 mass reanimate spells or 3 versatile removal spells?
Gravecrawler or the Haakon package are all creatures so basicly i'm comparing Buried Alive and Intuition ;)

An other way that I can see Intuition being great is as a political interaction card finding you removal/countermagic and asking the right opponent to help you out choosing the right card meanwhile dumping gravecrawler in the yard as a benefit for saving the table ;)

pokken

Falkenbach wrote:
2 years ago
Seriously thinking of adding an Intuition to my collection, yet I am nog much of a combo player (which the card pretty much is I guess?)
If not running Phyrexian Altar, what other great sygerystic cards would you pick as Intuition piles? Or could a budget option be Buried Alive. If most of the things you grab would be creatures?
Things i can think of for tutoring for are 3 mass reanimate spells or 3 versatile removal spells?
Gravecrawler or the Haakon package are all creatures so basicly i'm comparing Buried Alive and Intuition

An other way that I can see Intuition being great is as a political interaction card finding you removal/countermagic and asking the right opponent to help you out choosing the right card meanwhile dumping gravecrawler in the yard as a benefit for saving the table
Ok, so Intuition as a non-combo card has a few piles and they mostly start with flash-backable reanimation spells.

Sevinne's Reclamation + any two 3-drops or coffers+urborg or whatever is a reasonable play (8 mana to put 2 3mana lords into play is pretty strong) when you can spread the cost; 8 mana for coffers/urborg pretty good as well). works with Field of the Dead too.

Dread Return + whatever

3 mass reanimate, 3 counterspells, 3 removal pieces are all viable things I have done before; Repository Skaab + two spells is legit as well.

Being able to play it as functionally a second copy of Buried Alive that you can do at an end step is also pretty fantastic.

Overall really a good card, one of my favorite in EDH.

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Falkenbach wrote:
2 years ago
Gravecrawler or the Haakon package are all creatures so basicly i'm comparing Buried Alive and Intuition

An other way that I can see Intuition being great is as a political interaction card finding you removal/countermagic and asking the right opponent to help you out choosing the right card meanwhile dumping gravecrawler in the yard as a benefit for saving the table
Ok, so Intuition as a non-combo card has a few piles and they mostly start with flash-backable reanimation spells.

Sevinne's Reclamation + any two 3-drops or coffers+urborg or whatever is a reasonable play (8 mana to put 2 3mana lords into play is pretty strong) when you can spread the cost; 8 mana for coffers/urborg pretty good as well). works with Field of the Dead too.

Dread Return + whatever

3 mass reanimate, 3 counterspells, 3 removal pieces are all viable things I have done before; Repository Skaab + two spells is legit as well.

Being able to play it as functionally a second copy of Buried Alive that you can do at an end step is also pretty fantastic.

Overall really a good card, one of my favorite in EDH.
Ordered a copy of Intuition as a christmas gift for myself😏
Just hope it wont hit any ban hammer since Gifts Ungiven is simular card.. its reserved list so should be a good investment. (I am gonna keep using that to not feel bad haha)

I pairs really nicely with 3 of a kind cards and Sevinne's Reclamation which is one of my favorite cards :)

pokken

It's been legal since the dawn and doesn't see all that much play so I wouldn't stress about it too much. It's in the rl and has some legacy applications too so doubt you lose your shirt.

pokken

I realized Lazotep Reaver goes infinite with Liliana, Untouched by Death so I swapped it in for Bladestitched Skaab. A fond farewell to the lords, none of which ever did anything with my gameplan :P

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I realized Lazotep Reaver goes infinite with Liliana, Untouched by Death
With Phyrexian Altar? Or am I missing something?

pokken

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I realized Lazotep Reaver goes infinite with Liliana, Untouched by Death
With Phyrexian Altar? Or am I missing something?
you got it.

I'm actually thinking of adding the colorless 1 cmc changeling since that does the dance with Ashnod's Altar as well hehe.

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

Universal Automaton: Zombie, Knight, combo-piece. Quite a bargain for one mana.

Unfortunately also a Human. . . I guess you can't have everything.

Arebennian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Arebennian » 1 year ago

So I know you run Chain of Vapor from the other thread, but a thought just occurred to me as I contemplated this card for Inalla.

Have you ever considered Sedraxis Alchemist? Obviously it has some major limitations, but it is a zombie in comparison to Vapor.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Arebennian wrote:
1 year ago
So I know you run Chain of Vapor from the other thread, but a thought just occurred to me as I contemplated this card for Inalla.

Have you ever considered Sedraxis Alchemist? Obviously it has some major limitations, but it is a zombie in comparison to Vapor.
I haven't thought heavily on it. The main thing chain is is instant and very efficient. If alchemist had flash I'd consider it although I think amalgam is probably better even at 4.

The big issue there is alchemist is mostly a dud if I don't have varina out since I imagine I have like…maybe 6 blue permanents other than varina. Really sketchy.

Good looking out though! Appreciate the thought.

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 1 year ago

Hey Pokken,
Took me a while to find your forumtalk about your deck again ;)

What are your thoughts about Poxwalkers ?

pokken

Falkenbach wrote:
1 year ago
Hey Pokken,

I think its good value but it doesn't really do much for me specifically. i guess it makes infinite mana out of some combos but i dont have that many oulets. what my deck really needs is another phyrexian altar effect to be balanced. so a pitilesss plunderer zombie maybe.

i could see it swapping for one of my few threes, maybe murderous rider?

it would be a fast add if i went more midrange

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Falkenbach wrote:
1 year ago
Hey Pokken,

I think its good value but it doesn't really do much for me specifically. i guess it makes infinite mana out of some combos but i dont have that many oulets. what my deck really needs is another phyrexian altar effect to be balanced. so a pitilesss plunderer zombie maybe.

i could see it swapping for one of my few threes, maybe murderous rider?

it would be a fast add if i went more midrange
I thought you would be also considering it more since you are one of the Haakonn Pioneers. I am switching arround with my own build trying to include more free zombies, like silversmothe ghoul and prized amalgam but the poxwalkers needs a little build arround aswell i figure, even included some of the haakonn build.
I would not swap murderous rider out since its part of haakonn and some removal on a zombie (kinda)

pokken

Falkenbach wrote:
1 year ago
I thought you would be also considering it more since you are one of the Haakonn Pioneers. I am switching arround with my own build trying to include more free zombies, like silversmothe ghoul and prized amalgam but the poxwalkers needs a little build arround aswell i figure, even included some of the haakonn build.
I would not swap murderous rider out since its part of haakonn and some removal on a zombie (kinda)
Haakon is clutch because he adds a virtual second altar (makes ashnods+universal automaton work) and also acts like a second Gravecrawler. Poxwalker unfortunately does none of the three things we need to do to combo

* repeatedly cast or place card in play for free
* drain life or draw cards on death
* sacrifice stuff

The "combo" is a sac outlet, a death/etb payoff, and a way to do it for free. Things that are none of those need to be pretty special to work, usually cheap. You'll notice that the other zombies I have do one of three things:

1) self-recur to hand or battlefield somehow (Master of Death
2) sac outlet to protect my board from exile effects/let me chain draw into wincons (Phyrexian Ghoul
3) cost 1 (Champion of the Perished )
4) is some other kinda combo angle (Lazotep Chancellor or Repository Skaab )

The problem poxwalkers has is it needs me to have a recursive piece already and if I have one of those I am really close to winning already.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”